Author Topic: eBay 02 Scura  (Read 614 times)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
eBay 02 Scura
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:07:09 PM »
I know nothing about these bikes but it looks cool.  Also looks like a real biker seller. Are they good bikes?  I’m not in the market just curious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324727451934
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Re: eBay 02 Scura
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »
Desirable because they have Ohlins forks and shock.  Undesirable because they had a single-plate clutch setup, which usually failed, sometimes catastrophically.  Don’t know what the seller means by “relined clutch.”  Unless the clutch on this bike has been replaced with the multi-plate setup, the price should reflect the cost of making the swap.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »
I think Chuck in Indiana has one, so that leads me to believe that they are good bikes. He has a G5, so my guess is that he knows what he's talking about  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:17:29 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
My friend David(Leafman) had a Scura and said it was the best shifting bike he'd ever owned and he never changed the clutch plates. I think he put about 30,000 miles on that bike and the only problem he had was with the flaking engine/transmission paint which he addressed with some rattle can paint made by Harley Davidson.  The servicing of the Ohlins shocks is not cheap and it was thought that keeping it on the center stand lessoned the chance of the left fork leaking.

Any of the Ohlins bikes are worth owning, I had an 03 Rosso and put about 30K on that bike with only the usual speedo trouble, which isn't an issue on the Scura.

Looks like the owner addressed the clutch on this Scura.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 01:19:29 PM »
Here’s Roper on the issue:

Nobody is suggesting that the twin plate clutch *Never* fails. The problem with the single plater is the flywheel part and the reason why it of such great concern is that it's disintegration can be catastrophic and very dangerous.

When the twin plate units fail it is generally the centres ripping out of the plates or the friction material delaminating from their backing. While annoying this generally results in the bike just failing to proceed.

With the single plate flywheel the tendency is for the wheel to shatter. There is a lot of energy tied up in a spinning flywheel and the point at which it is most likely to shatter is when it is most stresses which is when it is spinning fast!

Obviously it's all a matter of personal choice but the FIRST thing I did when I bought the bike that is now Chuck's is replace the single plater. The last thing I wanted was to be blasting across west Texas and suddenly have the flywheel come apart a few inches away from my wedding tackle!

To be honest I always felt the benefits of RAM units, even when fibre plates were still available, were over rated. I found using an Ergal flywheel with a lightened ring gear or simply the stock later steel wheel and a similarly lightened ring gear offered performance indistinguishable, (To me.) from the single plater.

Nowadays I believe you can only get the RAM units with a sintered bronze plate which has a lifespan of only hundreds of miles! I sure as eggs are eggs wouldn't be wanting to pull the gearbox every couple of thousand miles or clutch engagements!

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 01:25:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong, if it was my bike I'd change the flywheel/plates and suggested so to David but he was adamant about keeping it as is.

I think the bike was sold to a young guy in Kansas if I remember correctly and David told him of the issue but he rode that bike from Alabama to his home in Kansas with his girlfriend in the pace car.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 02:17:35 PM »
Don't get me wrong, if it was my bike I'd change the flywheel/plates and suggested so to David but he was adamant about keeping it as is.   

Agreed 100%...that's what I did...had MPH replace the original single plate clutch a few years ago to avoid the inevitable failure, been perfect since then.  Mike was able to find a single plate California (I think) flywheel...can ride it as hard as I like w/o worrying about it grenading at some point.

By all means jump on the bike and negotiate the price to cover both flywheel and also a Roper sump plate (highly recommended).
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 02:56:28 PM »
I had #599, it was like a mid evil torture device at over 200 miles or so. (to me) But they LOOK MAHVELOUS!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 01:40:32 PM »
^^^^^
For me, 50 miles or one hour, whichever came first.  And that was on my Cafe Sport with the higher handlebars.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 06:02:21 AM »
It's a shame this bike lives somewhere with no curves... look at that rear tire :-(
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here