Author Topic: V7 sport front wheel swap  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
V7 sport front wheel swap
« on: January 12, 2022, 08:55:53 PM »
I知 wondering whether the stock v7 Sport fork tubes and internals are the same as those on the T3/G5.  Meaning could I just drop the lower fork legs and drum brake Borrani wire wheel, and bolt on the lower legs/Borrani wire dual disc wheels like I have on my G5?  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to spin off the lower legs while keeping the upper tubes in place when replacing oil and dust seals on the SP.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
Re: V7 sport front wheel swap
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 02:18:09 AM »
Yes I think so.

Rolf

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 02:45:46 AM »
The lower legs are easy to change from V7 Sport to T3, but the c/c distance between the leggs for V7 Sport are 180mm versus 195mm for T3 / G5.

So you need to take a wheel from a LM1.

Rolf

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 05:27:15 AM »
Doesn't the V7 Sport have 4 leading shoe drum brakes,
They are probably not as good as even a single disk but in a few years time you or some future owner will be looking to find the bits to put it back to original.
Just saying.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 05:27:15 AM »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 06:52:25 AM »
Doesn't the V7 Sport have 4 leading shoe drum brakes,
They are probably not as good as even a single disk but in a few years time you or some future owner will be looking to find the bits to put it back to original.
Just saying.

It does Roy.  I知 not going to bin the drum brake.  I was just musing about how to get better braking and keep the ability to swap back easily. I could build a dual disc Borrani and source lower fork legs pretty easily.  I imagine it would get a little trickier fitting a Brembo mc and lever with the stock throttle and switches.

czakky82

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 06:55:08 AM »
I think MG cycle might offer a narrow disc hub so you could build your own wheels.

I知 in the process of rebuilding a V7 myself. Are the drum brakes that bad?

Offline Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 07:36:58 AM »
Drum brakes are not bad at all. About the same friction as the disc brakes models.

But

you have to use the modern friction materials that are available - and you must ajust the brake shoes so that all 4 starts working at the same time.

The original friction material is about the same as you find in a trousers belt. BAAAAAAAAD.

Rolf

jwinwi

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 08:08:48 AM »
Drum brakes are not bad at all. About the same friction as the disc brakes models.

But

you have to use the modern friction materials that are available - and you must ajust the brake shoes so that all 4 starts working at the same time.

The original friction material is about the same as you find in a trousers belt. BAAAAAAAAD.

Rolf

...And have the shoes 'Arced' so the shape and size matches the ID of the drum; Joe W has a machine to do this.  As delivered, they won't work properly. Wet weather performance will never approach discs. Drums have no initial bite like discs (wet or dry) but once the friction material heats up, properly arced and adjusted (4LS) drums work pretty well.

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »
The lower legs are easy to change from V7 Sport to T3, but the c/c distance between the leggs for V7 Sport are 180mm versus 195mm for T3 / G5.

So you need to take a wheel from a LM1.

Rolf

Can use a wire wheel but need the slightly thinnker break carriers that are on the rear of the T3's to suit the 180mm front end

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 04:32:25 PM »
Can use a wire wheel but need the slightly thinnker break carriers that are on the rear of the T3's to suit the 180mm front end

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=218&products_id=578
Charlie

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 09:38:49 PM »
Great info.  Thanks everyone.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 03:11:46 AM »
It does Roy.  I知 not going to bin the drum brake.  I was just musing about how to get better braking and keep the ability to swap back easily. I could build a dual disc Borrani and source lower fork legs pretty easily.  I imagine it would get a little trickier fitting a Brembo mc and lever with the stock throttle and switches.
I hear you wanting better brakes
You will also be surprised how effective the rear brake is on a loop, it has a huge mechanical advantage so quite easy to lock up, Its not that big a deal to lock up the rear on one of these, nothing too dramatic happens.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 04:18:07 AM »
IMHO the front drum is as bad as its reputation ,
Not ideal for a bike that can break our national speed limit in first gear , and only starts to feel comfortable in top gear at speeds that would result in me loosing my licence on the spot.
after trying 4 sets of linings, and using every trick in the book for 10 years( including hydraulic actuation) i gave up and fitted a set of disks.

with every vehicle on the road now having ABS brakes , it is nice having working brakes  if you want to use your bike at anything else than a sedate summer cruise speeds.
the drum front end is in the back of the shed, I wish the next owner a lot fun with getting it to work.

LesP

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 05:31:49 AM »
I couldn't see the point of a 2LS brake (or the dual 2LS no doubt) that had no easy way for adjustment so made a L/H R/H adjuster which makes setting the shoes easy in place.
Set the front shoe at the lever to just rub, wind the rear shoe in to the same and lock.

jwinwi

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 07:32:16 AM »
Les, that's brilliant!  :bow:

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 08:14:22 AM »
Any imbalance in the system effectively defeats at least 50% of the brake function and the 4 shoe myth continues.....

Aside from the typical shoe/cam/lever/cable adjustment, deglazing & cleaning, etc, look for one cable that varies in length when actuated (with stretched or broken wire(s), compressed sheath or simply fatigued in general) more than the other one.   This includes rack, slop or flex introduced by those in-cable brake light switches.  If one cable is different than the other, that's an opportunity for imbalance to occur.   Depending upon your lever assembly, any discrepancy may or may not be easy to see.  That's why I prefer that loose tommy bar style that pivots freely in the lever.  If it doesn't stay square to both cable ends when operated, the brake assembly won't work properly

The cables are the weak(est) point of the sls or tls 4 shoe brake because they are the most likely to quickly change/fatigue in use.  A nominal amount of cable stretch caused by normal use with a single cable brake is more easily managed than having one of two cables slightly but continuously changing in length during normal use.   Some obsess about the actual brake and then overlook the minute extra  length of one actuated cable that cannot be resolved with a simple adjustment.  That imbalance then simultaneously defeats the efficient function of both brake plates.  Keeping fresh, well-matched cables on your 4 shoe brake (no matter the manufacturer) is necessary to keep your otherwise properly tuned brake working great. 

Properly cleaned, adjusted, actuated and operated, a plain MG 4 shoe with OEM linings can flex the fork tubes if you've got the stuff it takes to pull that lever.   It will never be a disc brake or a 1-2 finger pull, unless you've REALLY got the stuff...

I'm happy to give any unloved 4 shoe brake a home where it will be fully appreciated..
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 04:17:32 PM »
Maybe I値l fit a disk front wheel and then polish and hang the drum wheel on the wall in my office.

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »
Ben, I have a set of lowers and innards from an SP that I would let go.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 06:12:39 PM »
Ben, I have a set of lowers and innards from an SP that I would let go.
Larry

Thanks Larry. I値l PM you.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here