Author Topic: Shinko Dual sport rear tire on EV ?  (Read 790 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Shinko Dual sport rear tire on EV ?
« on: February 28, 2024, 11:10:11 AM »
Hello folks, I am considering a Shinko 705 block pattern rear tire on my 98 EV, with DMC sidecar. I am considering it as the "pusher" tire, but wondering what size will fit, if anyone has used one on their EV. I currently have a Shinko 140-80-17 "cruiser" tire,( 777 I think) and it barely clears the swingarm/centerstand by a hair. The block tire is available in 130, 120, and a few other sizes. I figgure, as popular as the EV is, someone must have fitted these type tires , and has some knowledge. below is a link to the tire I am referring to;
Thank you,
Rick

https://www.chapmoto.com/shinko-705-series-dual-sport-front-rear-tire.html
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Shinko Dual sport rear tire on EV ?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 12:06:00 PM »
I ran 130/90 on my EV's.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 01:07:36 PM »
That’s an interesting concept as I would consider that type tire on my 02 Stone. Let us know how it works out.
Inquiring minds would like to know🤔

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 01:47:45 PM »
Go with the narrower 130 or 120.  The chair will put more weight on the rear wheel squishing the sidewalls with a constant load.  It should give more traction on gravel/dirt roads.  Depends on if you really want to beat up on the hack.   :grin:  Going to Kansas?   :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 01:47:45 PM »

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 02:15:43 PM »
I ran 2 sets of 705s on my Calvin with no issues I got the bike from Antmanbee that way I also ran them on my 07 Triumph bonnie sidefar rig down in St Croix USVI where the roads suck

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 02:55:12 PM »
JUst don't hope to get a long tire life out of it. I used to run a fair number of 705's and while they are inexpensive up front there is a bit of false economy especially if you are paying a shop to change the tires. I have also found that after they are about 1/2 worn they are slicker than deer guts on a door knob in the rain. MOre so the front but the rear also suffers from this. I have found that brand name tires that costs $70 or $80 more lasts several thousand miles longer and save on tire changing costs as well sine you need do them 1/2 as often.

The only time I'll buy Shinko's now is if I'm selling a bike and it needs tires. Shinkos are inexpensive and add curb appeal for the potential buyer.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 05:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the info, Guys. I have been running Shinkos on most my bikes with good results. I just put a set on my Convert, and they handle very nice. On a sidecar rig, with a torquey bike like a Guzzi, no rear tire seems to last more than about 5K miles. I plan to try the  705s  at next tire change, in the slightly smaller size. I think a lower profile tire would be nice to lower the gear ratio, just a bit.
thanks alot
Rick.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 07:02:45 AM »
I've been using Shinko 705 tires for 10 years or more on big adventure bikes like my old Stelvio NTX and then BMW GS bikes.  Although he price of the 705's is very appealing, money is not my primary focus.  Rather, I like their performance on both off-road terrain as well as asphalt, especially wet asphalt.   TRACTION and grip are the main features of the 705's that appeal to me.

I have GS friends who rave about those Eastern-Block-made Heidenau tires or the more recent Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires because of their amazing longevity of high mileage. People are getting 12 to 15k miles out of those rear tires.

I purposely avoid high mileage tires.  The last thing I want is a tire that gets high mileage.  With high mileage comes a harder rubber compound and diminished traction, especially on wet asphalt.  I've tried all of those tires at least once and my suspicions were confirmed.  On wet roads, I've had them slip sideways on me in the curves.
They're not for me on the bikes I ride and the way I ride.

he 705's have given me a good balance of multi-purpose riding. Using a 705 on the rear of a cruiser type bike should be no problem.  If you use a 705 on the front, you may hear/feel a little bit of road roar on pavement.

Shinko 705's on Stelvio NTX.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 07:19:01 AM by leafman60 »

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 10:44:07 AM »
Thats good to know, Leafman. I have always been amazed by the wet traction some of the other Shinkos I have mounted provide. It dont rain much in Arizona, but that makes it even more important to have tires that stick in the wet. We dont get alot of wet riding experience here, but when it does rain....watch out!  folks are not used to rain riding, and it becomes a real "slipfest" with both bikes,and 4 wheelers.
Rick

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here