Author Topic: The giant WG National threadfest  (Read 572049 times)

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
I have a 1/2 inch drive 1 1/16" socket that should be very close to a 28mm.  I expect to be in CV about Thursday noon-ish.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
Thanks Chuck, I appreciate that, just in case. Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the bunch!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

oldbike54

Thanks Chuck, I appreciate that, just in case. Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the bunch!

Sarah

What are you riding Sarah ? We will need to pull the front wheel , does the bike have a center stand ? It will be fun , seems we end up working on a motorbike every year, it becomes a group activity .

Dusty
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:50:09 AM by oldbike54 »

oldbike54

Gonna be a little chilly the next few mornings , bring some warm jammies .

Bobrebos , if you want a room for tonight , the lodge is just a few blocks from the park , and the rooms are cheap enough . Give me a heads up , we'll contact  Dave and get you a room .

If any of you long distance travelers need to wash some clothes , there are coin op machines at Cedar Creek Lodge . 620 249 9362 .

Just spoke with Dave , he is ready for us .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
I am on a V7 II, Dusty.  I have had handling issues brought about by my luggage set up and tightened my steering head bearings in an attempt to compensate. Let me see how it goes the next couple of days. See you Thursday!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 

oldbike54

I am on a V7 II, Dusty.  I have had handling issues brought about by my luggage set up and tightened my steering head bearings in an attempt to compensate. Let me see how it goes the next couple of days. See you Thursday!

Sarah

Try going up 2 LBs on tire inflation pressure .

Dusty

bobrebos

Well, my day four of camping and seeing the sites around changed to this because of 30mph winds, 50 degrees for a high and heavy rain.  Should pull into cedar vale on Stella the Stelvio tomorrow...

oldbike54

4 days ago the forecast was for a slight chance of rain with highs 70+- , this sneaked up on us . By tomorrow the conditions will improve .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero

Sarah

Probably heavy in the rear and light in the front?   Perhaps a little weave at speed.  You might try to stiffen the rear and add more air pressure (as Dusty mentions).  You might do the opposite to the front.   I know when I load my V11 Sport with saddle bags that softening the front makes a bigger difference than stiffening the rear.  (when loaded I run 30-32 lb in front, adjusters all soft and 40 lb in the rear with stiffer shock settings).   You might do a test run.  If it doesn't work well, of course set it back to where its safe and comfortable.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline RHAT

• Hatchling
I heard they were filming a movie over in Pawhuska, OK. I assume about the killings that took place there. 
I'm planning to visit the museum there on Thursday.   There is also a Ben Johnson museum around there somewhere I would like to check out.  I hear my local people telling me about going  to the pioneer women thing they have there. 
I'm loading up tonight and heading out tomorrow.  Maybe the tree fairy will come along and clean up from last night's storm.

text to binary

bobrebos

I heard they were filming a movie over in Pawhuska, OK. I assume about the killings that took place there. 
I'm planning to visit the museum there on Thursday.   There is also a Ben Johnson museum around there somewhere I would like to check out.  I hear my local people telling me about going  to the pioneer women thing they have there. 
I'm loading up tonight and heading out tomorrow.  Maybe the tree fairy will come along and clean up from last night's storm.

text to binary

Wow doesn’t look like that tree or branch missed the roof or bike by much!  Ride safe. 

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
Probably heavy in the rear and light in the front?   Perhaps a little weave at speed.  You might try to stiffen the rear and add more air pressure (as Dusty mentions).  You might do the opposite to the front.   I know when I load my V11 Sport with saddle bags that softening the front makes a bigger difference than stiffening the rear.  (when loaded I run 30-32 lb in front, adjusters all soft and 40 lb in the rear with stiffer shock settings).   You might do a test run.  If it doesn't work well, of course set it back to where its safe and comfortable.

Yep you said it, front end wagging like crazy.  I increased preload, added air to the tires, and the kind folks at O'Reilly Auto in Carson City NV loaned me a socket and ratchet so we could increase tension on the steering head bearings. None of this helped much at all. Finally we realized my bags sit too far behind the rear axle and put a disproportionate amount of weight on the back. We rigged them up with straps so that the front of the bags sit on the passenger pegs and it's worked a miracle. Wish to goodness I'd had the brains to figure that out early on.

Sarah

oldbike54

:thumb:

Dusty

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
Loaded and ready to roll early in the a.m.  :thumb:
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
Yep you said it, front end wagging like crazy.  I increased preload, added air to the tires, and the kind folks at O'Reilly Auto in Carson City NV loaned me a socket and ratchet so we could increase tension on the steering head bearings. None of this helped much at all. Finally we realized my bags sit too far behind the rear axle and put a disproportionate amount of weight on the back. We rigged them up with straps so that the front of the bags sit on the passenger pegs and it's worked a miracle. Wish to goodness I'd had the brains to figure that out early on.

Sarah

Sounds like you have at least a temporary solution, for now. If it starts feeling funky again, watch your speed. That kind of tail weight problem can create a potential for high speed wobbles.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero

text to binary

My sister has visited the Pioneers Lady's B & B on several occasions.  BTW- we've had group rides through the windmill farm on the way to Woolarc and  passed one of the vast "Drummond" ranches.  Heck, we might be on one of their ranches in CV since they own a halfa million acres.

And I always thought Ben Johnson was from Guthrie, a great place to visit BTW.

https://benjohnsoncowboymuseum.com/

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:23:13 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero

Sarah

Loading the front might be the wrong thing.   Soften the front, reduce air pressure & soften the fork,  stiffen the rear. 

IMO better to soften the front.   :thumb:
John L 

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
Loading the front might be the wrong thing.   Soften the front, reduce air pressure & soften the fork,  stiffen the rear. 

IMO better to soften the front.   :thumb:

Maybe we can all put our heads together at the rally. I am wide open to suggestions for sure. This rigged luggage will get me home but it's nothing I want to live with.

Sarah

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Maybe we can all put our heads together at the rally. I am wide open to suggestions for sure. This rigged luggage will get me home but it's nothing I want to live with.

Sarah

try it and see.  loosen the front and lower the air pressure.  It worked on my V11 Sport when I was riding with saddle bags loaded.   

You can  check it out in a few minutes.  Don't do anything crazy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:01:43 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
If someone has a good petcock(s) for my Square Head SPII, I would gladly buy or trade for it at Cedarvale. I just discovered the stripped screw on the right which prevents the packing from holding back the gas and it leaks out the side, so I will be riding with a dribble to the rally. I hate to be a picky beggar, but I would prefer the cast type handle and not the older style with the straight pin lever. Really just need the lower valve section.

John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

oldbike54

Sarah

We'll make it a group project , there will be a huge knowledge base gathered in the pavilion .

Where is your group tonight Sarah ?

Dusty

oldbike54

Guzzistajohn , if Tim shows up we will have all of the original 6 .

Dusty

oldbike54

Here we go .

In the famous words of David Byrne , "does anyone have any questions?"

Dusty

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
We'll make it a group project , there will be a huge knowledge base gathered in the pavilion .

Where is your group tonight Sarah ?

Dusty

Lamar, CO. We'll mosey a couple hundred or so miles today and see you all mid day tomorrow.

Sarah

oldbike54

Lamar, CO. We'll mosey a couple hundred or so miles today and see you all mid day tomorrow.

Sarah

The tourist trap in Dodge City is actually kind of interesting , and there are a couple of decent restaurants there .

Dusty

bobrebos

Well, I’m first at something in my life.  I just pulled into the park in cedar Vale Kansas.  Now to figure out where I can set up my tent?  I’d like to set up by one of the power boxes as I need electricity but don’t know if that’s allowed.  I’ll just wait to find out later.  Beautiful weather for the ride in (finally) today.  It rained hard on me every other day. 

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
Just a heads up to everyone: don't be alarmed if I'm a bit sniffly/sneezy or get an occasional tickle in my throat that makes me cough. The tree pollen count is super high in Kansas, and it's been driving my allergies insane for the last week. I get this every year, am fully vaccinated and have no symptoms of any actual illness.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
Just a heads up to everyone: don't be alarmed if I'm a bit sniffly/sneezy or get an occasional tickle in my throat that makes me cough. The tree pollen count is super high in Kansas, and it's been driving my allergies insane for the last week. I get this every year, am fully vaccinated and have no symptoms of any actual illness.

Same here, me too, vaxed 'n' allergies.
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
If someone has a good petcock(s) for my Square Head SPII, I would gladly buy or trade for it at Cedarvale. I just discovered the stripped screw on the right which prevents the packing from holding back the gas and it leaks out the side, so I will be riding with a dribble to the rally. I hate to be a picky beggar, but I would prefer the cast type handle and not the older style with the straight pin lever. Really just need the lower valve section.

Loctite #518 will stop the dribble.  Don't ride w/a leak in fuel!!!! I known Guzzi's that have been on FIRE !!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Well, I’m first at something in my life.  I just pulled into the park in cedar Vale Kansas.  Now to figure out where I can set up my tent?  I’d like to set up by one of the power boxes as I need electricity but don’t know if that’s allowed.  I’ll just wait to find out later.  Beautiful weather for the ride in (finally) today.  It rained hard on me every other day. 

Set up to any box you want. First come first serve!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here