Author Topic: 09 Stelvio - Service message and Red triangle are on  (Read 9566 times)

vrybl

09 Stelvio - Service message and Red triangle are on
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:40 PM »
09 Stelvio - Service message and Red triangle are on

I have bought this bike with 8K miles about 2 month ago, I have replaced leaking oil sender sensor and resealed leaking crankshaft position sensor, but now after riding in a bit of rain for 10 minutes I noticed the speedometer jumping rapidly from 0 to 90 mi/hr.  At this point the "Service!" message and red triangle are on, and I can't seem to enter any other menus to look up failure codes on the dash except for heated grips.  Is this normal not to be able to enter system menu with "Service!" message on.

All ideas on what is going on with teh menu or speedometer are welcome.

Cheers,

Vlad.

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 09 Stelvio - Service message and Red triangle are on
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:18:59 PM »
Didn't the 09's come with a flakey(when wet) wheel speed sensor?

If so, it can be dried out and sealed..  

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the subject will be around soon.

Possible link for more info:  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=54559.0
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:20:42 PM by rdbandkab »

biking sailor

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
I've heard defective plug wires will make the dash go nutty also. I would try the turn off, wait, and then turn key back on to see it it clears.

Are you broken down on the road?

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
Red warning light on, eh?  Welcome to the club!!
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
The red warning light has been coming on and off intermittently for close to three years on my "07 Norge. Still runs without a hiccup, however!
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
08 Norge. Service light came on yesterday when I started it up. I rode for about a mile and a half and stopped the bike. When I started it up the light was out. This is the second time. Once about this time last year, same thing.

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
09 Stelvio - Service message and Red triangle are on...Vlad.  

On my '12 Stelvio the Service Interval Icon (a small wrench image on the screen) appears every 6000 miles, since that is the recommended service interval.  I can remove it by toggling through the screens with the left Control Button to the "Menu" screen.  There is no science to this, sometimes it is a real PITA, I just have to keep trying.  From the "Menu" screen I go to "Diagnostics".  I input my code -- frequently it is "10695".  Then I go to "Remove Service Interval", toggle to "Yes" and remove it.

I caution you here.  Your '09 is the earlier model, my '12 is the later model.  There may be differences in how to handle this change on your model bike.

Last, I have no knowledge of how to handle the Red Triangle.  Sorry.

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
My 09 and many others did this. The rain water gets into the speed sensor and kills it. You may be able to dry it out and seal it. Or just replace it. They were upgraded in about 2010 and the new ones are good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »
My 09 and many others did this. The rain water gets into the speed sensor and kills it. You may be able to dry it out and seal it. Or just replace it. They were upgraded in about 2010 and the new ones are good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My '09 did exactly the same.   Speedo goes nuts, red triangle comes on and scares me half to death ... find out that's what happens when the speedo sensor on the back wheel gets wet, no harm to ride it like that.

Take speedo sensor off, dry it out good, seal it up with silicone to prevent water incursion down where the wire goes into the box, buy another one for $70 in case your fixed one fails again, new one still sitting on the shelf 3 years later .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

vrybl

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »
Thank you all for the input.  I will start addressing the speedo sensor.  Is the idea that the "Service!" message and the red triangle go away once the speedo is sorted out?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
Thank you all for the input.  I will start addressing the speedo sensor.  Is the idea that the "Service!" message and the red triangle go away once the speedo is sorted out?

Yes, the service message and red triangle pop up when the dashboard realizes that you are in gear, clutch out, high revs, but zero speed.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 11:56:14 AM »
Yes, the service message and red triangle pop up when the dashboard realizes that you are in gear, clutch out, high revs, but zero speed.

Well you could be in one of those Daytona bike week burnout pits  ;-T
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
Well you could be in one of those Daytona bike week burnout pits  ;-T

I first thought that, but then realized that the speedo sensor is detecting rear wheel revolutions, so a burnout wouldn't spook the dash.

A completely trashed clutch, broken transmission, or broken universal joint would do it though .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

vrybl

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »
Well, the problem was almost with speedometer sensor.  As suggested here and elsewhere the wires/connector under the seat leading to the speedo sensor had bent pins, once pins were straightened out and reconnected, the "Service!" message disappeared.   I had the speedo sensor sealed anyway as suggested.

Much Much Much Thanks,

Vlad.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 05:35:17 AM »
Well, the problem was almost with speedometer sensor.  As suggested here and elsewhere the wires/connector under the seat leading to the speedo sensor had bent pins, once pins were straightened out and reconnected, the "Service!" message disappeared.   I had the speedo sensor sealed anyway as suggested.

Much Much Much Thanks,

Vlad.

Speedy service from WG, as usual.. ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

bmacneil2008

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
Have to love this forum, has helped me more than a few times. Even donated. Yes, 100% same issue, 4 hour ride in the rain yesterday and now after a good cleaning, red light, no MPH. So where is the sensor?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
Rear wheel on the 09.
You will see the wire tied to the rear brake line.

bmacneil2008

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
Yes, took the rear wheel off and thought I could open the sensor and use a blow drier but seems sealed. I can see where water gets in by the wire leading into the box. I will just have patience and wait a few days and see if all ok then will apply sealant around the wire. So when is all dry, the red light and service alert does not show? Or do I have to put the tire back on and spin it so the sensor responds before the dashboard resets?

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2023, 12:17:59 PM »
My '13 NTX has an intermittent Service Triangle for 36,000 miles. Dealer and importer have no idea. No speedo issues but I'm gunna look there anyway. Like others, the Triangle has not identified any issues.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2023, 03:43:21 PM »
08 Norge. Service light came on yesterday when I started it up. I rode for about a mile and a half and stopped the bike. When I started it up the light was out. This is the second time. Once about this time last year, same thing.
Oil pressure sensor.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2023, 03:47:52 PM »
My '13 NTX has an intermittent Service Triangle for 36,000 miles. Dealer and importer have no idea. No speedo issues but I'm gunna look there anyway. Like others, the Triangle has not identified any issues.

Spud
Can’t you bring up stored fault codes ?

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here