Author Topic: Motorcycle Shippers  (Read 22678 times)

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
Motorcycle Shippers
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:22:08 AM »
Anyone out there who has a recommendation for a good reasonably priced shipper? I need to get a CalVin from NJ to Florida. Maybe someone who needs a break from the snow and cold ;)

Jerry
Jerry
Florida

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motorcycle Shippers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:42:32 AM »
So I assume a deal has been struck?

I've used these guys not too long ago. Dan has a vintage snow mobile and motorcycle museum in NJ.

http://snowmobilebarn.com/d-k-service/

He's on the road a lot, and moves Billy Joel's bikes for him.

;-T
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:38:16 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:06:40 AM »
I've bought and sold and shipped to and fro many bikes over the last 15-20 years.

Over the last 10 years, I've come to pretty much rely on Federal for all my shipping business. They were once a part of Allied Van Lines but I think they were spun off recently.

http://www.federalcos.com/specialized-moving/motorcycle-shipping/

When you call them, ask to talk to Marietta.

They are very professional.  They do documented inspection before and after the shipment and document receipt of your bike. They palletize everything so they never have to handle your bike once picked up.

In the southeast, the truck driver will be Harry (and his wife) from over here in coastal Mississippi.  They know their stuff.

All these nice things come with a price that will probably be above what you can find with other options but I think you get what you pay for. Id estimate a ship from NJ to FL at somewhere between $600 and $700 for a premium carrier. Federal does offer a discount for AMA members.

Keyboard is also another good shipper that I've used but they do not service western states.

http://keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

I highly discourage the U Ship arrangements where you don't know what kind of rig is going to show up. I've had purchasers send a U Ship truck to pick up a valuable vintage bike with an improvised boat trailer behind a clapped-out old Dodge Ram truck. There was no documentation.  I had one of them say, when I asked for some receipt of the bike, "oh man, we dont have nuthin like that but you can take my picture next to my truck tag."

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:11:12 AM by leafman60 »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »

keithl

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
Anyone out there who has a recommendation for a good reasonably priced shipper? I need to get a CalVin from NJ to Florida. Maybe someone who needs a break from the snow and cold ;)

Jerry

Try USHIP.   You can have people bid or put what you want to pay.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
Try USHIP.   You can have people bid or put what you want to pay.

Yeah, see my comments above. It will certainly be cheaper but ....
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:37:28 AM by leafman60 »

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »
I highly discourage the U Ship arrangements where you don't know what kind of rig is going to show up. I've had purchasers send a U Ship truck to pick up a valuable vintage bike with an improvised boat trailer behind a clapped-out old Dodge Ram truck. There was no documentation.  I had one of them say, when I asked for some receipt of the bike, "oh man, we dont have nuthin like that but you can take my picture next to my truck tag."

I ended up with one of these for an Eldo that I purchased a few years back - what a disaster.  PM me if you want any further details.  Don't cheap out, you might not get lucky.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
These guys are very professional and reasonably priced, but they have a limited route.  There used to be a map on their website, but it's gone.

http://www.wolverinecycle.com/shipping.php

If you use Uship, look at the bidders record.  You can usually tell the flakes from the shippers that know bikes.  If you can't tell, then don't use.
1983 V50 III (being cafe'd)
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »

Jerry,
Try Erik Wied in New York...

I had him haul the Stelvio back from San Diego last year, great guy, excellent, punctual service, reasonable cost.  He picked up the m/c in San Diego, put it in the enclosed trailer, delivered it to my garage and put it up on teh Handy Lift within six (6) days as I recall.

Congrats on the purchase.

Best,
Rob

Erik Wied
871 County Route 28
Niverville, NY 12130

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:16:22 AM »
I've used Federal three times (last time last week)--very good results each time, no damage to the bikes at all and the prices seemed reasonable. The only minor (ridiculously minor) complaint would be that there tracking system isn't very good, and they apparently only deliver Mon/Weds/Fri.

Rich

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:26 AM »

I've used these guys not too long ago. Dan has a vintage snow mobile and motorcycle museum in NJ.

;-T

I think so if I can get the bike down here. I'll PM you later.

Thanks

Jerry
Jerry
Florida

Red Dog

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
haulbikes.com

no crating, no draining fluids, keep you updated with pick up, route & delivery dates & times.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
haulbikes.com

no crating, no draining fluids, keep you updated with pick up, route & delivery dates & times.
They seem to be having a special now, $525 from anywhere in the continental US to anywhere in the continental US.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 10:53:45 PM »
JC Motorcycle Shippers have always done right by me. Good communication, tracking, insurance, and know what they're doing.   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »
JC Motorcycle Shippers have always done right by me. Good communication, tracking, insurance, and know what they're doing.   :BEER:

Yup........... me too, have had good experience's with these guys.   ;-T

bpreynolds

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »
Depending, I actually encourage the Uship option.  I have used it 4 times in the last 4-5 years.  The key ingredient is you absolutely MUST do your research on the folks who pitch you a bid.  The only one of my 4 transactions that was a very bad experience was as much my own fault for not reading the reviews and method of haul.  Now, I ALWAYS specify closed transport and always research the company's reviews and info.  This gives you valuable information to know if your bike will be shipped by someone with experience, insurance, etc.  The company profiles also give you good indication if they have experience hauling bikes or are they just a furniture or animal mover.  I had a bike shipped from NY to KY for about $300, same with a bike from Florida to KY.  Yes, there are more trusted ways if that's what you desire, but when I took the time to do the legwork, I have not been disappointed with Uship.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
 I used Forward Air to ship two bikes about 8 years ago. They provide a specialized shipping container...You provide tie downs and a combination lock and money.....The only down side is you have to haul the bike to the shippers location and the receiver has to do the same...And they don't serve every major city..

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
Depending, I actually encourage the Uship option.  I have used it 4 times in the last 4-5 years.  The key ingredient is you absolutely MUST do your research on the folks who pitch you a bid.  The only one of my 4 transactions that was a very bad experience was as much my own fault for not reading the reviews and method of haul.  Now, I ALWAYS specify closed transport and always research the company's reviews and info.  This gives you valuable information to know if your bike will be shipped by someone with experience, insurance, etc.  The company profiles also give you good indication if they have experience hauling bikes or are they just a furniture or animal mover.  I had a bike shipped from NY to KY for about $300, same with a bike from Florida to KY.  Yes, there are more trusted ways if that's what you desire, but when I took the time to do the legwork, I have not been disappointed with Uship.

I have used uShip for boats, but never a vehicle. You're right, it does require a lot of research. But I've found the savings are there if you find the right guy.

Someone also mentioned JC. I forgot about them. I'm going to try them in addition to a few other sugeestions here.

Thanks
Jerry
Florida

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
Here is what showed up to pick up a neighbors' bike last night.  The buyer arranged it through USHIP and used them because they could pick it up fast.
The trailer is partly gutted so they can put bikes inside.

1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C

bpreynolds

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
Here is what showed up to pick up a neighbors' bike last night.  The buyer ARRANGED IT THROUGH USHIP AND USED THEM BECAUSE THEY COULD PICK IT UP FAST.
The trailer is partly gutted so they can put bikes inside.

Exactly the mistake I made per my one, and only one, bad experience with Uship.  My guy showed up with a horse trailer.  Yeah.  Take the time, do the legwork, make the calls if needed. 

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »
Just completed the purchase of a CalVin, and I need to get it down here to New Jersey to Florida. I want to check one more time for recommendations. Especially for someone recently used; not a few years ago. I've found from calling around that some of these companies have changed hands or added more trucks and may not have the quality they had once before.

Thanks
Jerry
Florida

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »
I've had good luck with Wolverine Cycle Logistics, LLC (http://www.wolverinecycle.com).  Good communications, the right equipment for bikes, and they were right on time.
They have a specific route they follow around the US, though.  You need to contact them to see if you are on it.
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »
I've had good luck with Wolverine Cycle Logistics, LLC (http://www.wolverinecycle.com).  Good communications, the right equipment for bikes, and they were right on time.
They have a specific route they follow around the US, though.  You need to contact them to see if you are on it.

I'll check them out, but I didn't hear some bad stories about them!
Jerry
Florida

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »

Jerry

I personally used this shipper , shipped a moto guzzi sp from Rutherford college NC to NY 10960 , Paid 353 usd  .
This shipper is a serious guy , you wont be disappointed .
He uses an enclosed trailer . ( brand new not a junk )
you can see his profile on U SHIP .

here some info :

http://www.uship.com/profile/prdtrans/

This is my positive feed back , left after the bike was delivered .

Rating:   Positive
Company:   DAVID A LISBOA
Left by:   Marco Q.
On:   4/26/2012
For:   1980 Moto Guzzi 850 T 3
Communication   
Care of Goods   
Punctuality   
Services as Described   
I just got my bike delivered one day earlier the expected. :-) David, is a great guy , i had NO PROBLEM of any kind...great communication. The bike got picked up and dropped off,everything was perfect. The trailer is NEW and super clean, my bike was safely tied down. I HIGHLY recommend him, i am sure you won't be disappointed. The price was really good too. I will call him again in the future. Marco.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:58:48 AM by arveno »

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »
I personally used this shipper , shipped a moto guzzi sp from Rutherford college NC to NY 10960 , Paid 353 usd  .
This shipper is a serious guy , you wont be disappointed .
He uses an enclosed trailer . ( brand new not a junk )
you can see his profile on U SHIP .

here some info :

http://www.uship.com/profile/prdtrans/

This is my positive feed back , left after the bike was delivered .

Rating:   Positive
Company:   DAVID A LISBOA
Left by:   Marco Q.
On:   4/26/2012
For:   1980 Moto Guzzi 850 T 3
Communication   
Care of Goods   
Punctuality   
Services as Described   
I just got my bike delivered one day earlier the expected. :-) David, is a great guy , i had NO PROBLEM of any kind...great communication. The bike got picked up and dropped off,everything was perfect. The trailer is NEW and super clean, my bike was safely tied down. I HIGHLY recommend him, i am sure you won't be disappointed. The price was really good too. I will call him again in the future. Marco.

Hi Marco,

Do you have his contact info? I'd rather not go through U Ship.

Thanks
Jerry
Florida

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »
I'll check them out, but I didn't hear some bad stories about them!

Really?

I haven't heard anything bad about them from anyone who has used them on the ADV and Guzzi forums.
Only bad things I've found are from that hack website where all of the negative reviews sound like the same guy.
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
Hi Marco,

Do you have his contact info? I'd rather not go through U Ship.

Thanks

Jerry ,
I am going to go through my papers and see if i can find the contract with his phone # .
I will let you know..

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »

;-T

Have you tried calling Dan?  He's based in New Jersey.  After all, I did find you the Calvin!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »

I've come to pretty much rely on Federal for all my shipping business. They were once a part of Allied Van Lines but I think they were spun off recently.

http://www.federalcos.com/specialized-moving/motorcycle-shipping/

They are very professional.  They do documented inspection before and after the shipment and document receipt of your bike. They palletize everything so they never have to handle your bike once picked up.

I highly discourage the U Ship arrangements  

I feel the same way.  When I was in the motorcycle business, we used Federal and they were great.  I prefer to retrieve my bikes myself, but if I ever have the occasion again, I will probably use Federal.

Below is how my recently departed Lemans 1000 was transported from Arkansas to Wisconsin via a U-Ship driver.  Buyer was happy, though.  It was cheap and worked out fine.  Bike arrived at it's destination none the worse for wear, but I was worried about it until I heard of the safe arrival from the dsrdave, the buyer.

If I had been paying for it and been responsible for it, I'd have never loaded the bike on this trailer.

Though the U-Ship driver was a very nice retired gentleman, he didn't have any soft ties, and had no plan about loading and tying down the bike.  Basically, I had to load and tie it down.  I supplied the soft ties.  Driver did supply the racheting tie downs, though for a few minutes I though I might have to.  I cringe at the thought of how this bike would've been secured in this trailer had I not been at home when the driver arrived for the bike.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:45:42 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 05:17:22 AM »
Typical uSlip disaster in the making... The golf cart is tied down by the "roof" supports (that ain't no ROPS) and the trailer looks like it's been through a couple wars. BTW, did the "trucker" take advantage of the wood floor and block the golf cart and bike?
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here