Author Topic: Would a V50 Stelvio sell?  (Read 16796 times)

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Would a V50 Stelvio sell?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »
I read this discussion with mixed emotions. 

I've ridden for almost 20 years now and have owned a slew of bikes -- several Beemers, a few Kawas including a KLR-650, and a 650 Strom.  I have always set them up for long distance touring and camping trips.  The bike that does those tasks the very best is my current Stelvio NTX. 

So, if Guzzi offers a lighter weight AdvTouring bike, I would be comparing that offering to what I already have in my NTX.   
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I read this discussion with mixed emotions. 

I've ridden for almost 20 years now and have owned a slew of bikes -- several Beemers, a few Kawas including a KLR-650, and a 650 Strom.  I have always set them up for long distance touring and camping trips.  The bike that does those tasks the very best is my current Stelvio NTX. 

So, if Guzzi offers a lighter weight AdvTouring bike, I would be comparing that offering to what I already have in my NTX.   

True. But you or me would not be the marketing target for this bike. I would never swap my Quota for a "250cc adventure bike" and take it to the woods.
For that I would buy a Husqvarna or KTM.

How about female riders, anyone around 5' 4", the younger crowd or beginners?
They will not buy Stelvio's, 1200GS or my old Quota. Those bikes are like fat rhino's.
And for that reason, we love them ;-T
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline ed@guzzipower.com

• Hatchling
  • Guzzi Powered
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:22 AM »
My solution. V85TT. 850 Cc. 53 ft lbs. 410 lbs. 16" rear shocks. Shown in motard trim. I have 21" front wheel for it also.

It wheelies effortlessly.

Ed Milich
Guzzipower.com

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 03:17:11 PM »
^^^^  Genius!  The cruiser styling is a bit weird for a sumo, but it looks like ten tons of fun.

Question: Do you worry about excessive wear with the drive shaft hiked to that angle?  With 16" rear shocks, you've added, what, 4" to the rear ride height?
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 03:17:11 PM »

LongRanger

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 04:31:31 PM »
Well I think we want:  reliability, light weight (400 lbs wet without panniers), around $10K or just north of it, 80 hp.
Two words: Ducati Scrambler

andrewdonald1

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »

Those motors scare me.. I think PITA valve adjusts...

LongRanger

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
Never owned one so I can't comment, but that bike sure received some enthusiastic reviews at the international press launch in Palm Springs two weeks ago. I think it could make a good platform for a fun, lightweight but capable fire road bike. It would need a suspension and ergo revamp for anything more serious than that.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 09:36:23 PM »

I was high on this bike until I saw it in person last November 1st at the San Mateo Motorcycle show. It looks cheap and plastic to me. I realize Ducati is trying to hit a price point and is assembling the bike in Thailand, however, it looks cheap to me. I have a 2010 Bonneville T100 that was assembled in Thailand and the fit and finish is excellent. The Ducati has the weight and hp numbers I'm looking for in a trail/fireroad bike but I'd rather have a Guzzi V7 Scrambler. I discounted the V7II until I saw the hp and torque numbers are a little better than a KLR 650. The V7 Scrambler kit has upgraded rear shocks among other things. The bike makes it's torque at 2800rpm. I wish it had a 19" front wheel rather than the stock 18" but that can be fixed. I didn't like the single of the KLR as I have to ride a few hundred road miles to get to the trails/fireroads I'm interested in. I'm not 100% sold on it and will wait until summer when some real reviews will be available.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:37:55 PM by Demar »
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 12:47:25 AM »
I was high on this bike until I saw it in person last November 1st at the San Mateo Motorcycle show. It looks cheap and plastic to me....

You might want to reserve judgment until the production bikes are in showrooms.  It's likely that the bike you saw was a static display and not a real motorcycle.  Ducati had a few of these at the AimExpo in Orlando, and the rep I spoke to said that while the styles were close to the production models, they were non-operable mock-ups; nearly all of the parts were hand-made plastic and wood items painted to look like metal.  I was told that the production bikes would look much nicer.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 01:23:04 AM »
You might want to reserve judgment until the production bikes are in showrooms.  It's likely that the bike you saw was a static display and not a real motorcycle.  Ducati had a few of these at the AimExpo in Orlando, and the rep I spoke to said that while the styles were close to the production models, they were non-operable mock-ups; nearly all of the parts were hand-made plastic and wood items painted to look like metal.  I was told that the production bikes would look much nicer.

Interesting. I'm waiting until summer to pull the trigger if something fills the need by then.  Thanks.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2015, 03:11:48 AM »
Lower powered, lighter Stelvio? Nope.

V7 Scrambler? Just maybe.

We will soon see I guess, with the factory Scrambler kits, just how many put their money where their mouth is!

Kurt
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Offline ed@guzzipower.com

• Hatchling
  • Guzzi Powered
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
Drive shaft angle is less than 10 deg when loaded. Schfine....

Yeah, stock bodywork ain't the prettiest [even Mr. Galuzzi commented that I should "get rid of that ugly seat and tank"] , but it's comfy.And that's how it kept total build budget to around $2k....including the bike. :)

Question: Do you worry about excessive wear with the drive shaft hiked to that angle?  With 16" rear shocks, you've added, what, 4" to the rear ride height?
[/quote]
Ed Milich
Guzzipower.com

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here