Author Topic: California Vintage 2007 gearbox lever problem  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Richard Tasmania

• New Egg
  • Tasmania, Australia
California Vintage 2007 gearbox lever problem
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:46:24 AM »
I bought my Calvin second hand with 12,000 km on it. I always had trouble getting the right gear, often getting a false neutral. Yesterday it finally would not change gear at all. The gear lever (03258250) fell off. I have not pulled it apart yet but will clean it tomorrow and inspect the damage. I hope the shaft to the gearbox is okay.
It is clearly a problem from the factory that they should be aware of and other owners. Here is a link to a chap who had the same thing happen.  http://www.motoguzzicalifornia.com/2013/11/shift-linkage/
I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and admit my respect has diminished for this bike. Hopefully it can be easily rectified.
V50III gone but not forgotton
V7C 2012
California Vintage 2007
V50 Monza 1984
V7 Special 2022

Morizzi

Re: California Vintage 2007 gearbox lever problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »

I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and admit my respect has diminished for this bike. Hopefully it can be easily rectified.

Honestly, a loose nut or bolt 8 years after manufacture and your faith is diminished?  ::)

Lever positions and the adjustments are there for you to set them up to your individual needs. There is a very good chance any PO would have done that. Maybe its something you should have?

There is very little wrong with the T5 box if adjusted to your requirements. In probability the false neutrals were caused by incorrect adjustment and the lever/rod being interfered with by contacting the frame or exhaust.

I would be very surprised if the splined shaft is an issue. Replace it, with a new bolt, new lock nut and then ensure that the linkages can operate as they should.

Rod
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:50:00 AM by Yak Fat »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
http://www.guzzipower.com/CalShiftMod-Jeff_B.html
assuming the link works this will make it better than any Jap trans.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

BigDave in PA

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
Sounds to me like an owner neglect of maintenance problem. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:38:52 AM »

If I had trouble shifting, I would investigate BEFORE it left me stranded.....  :BEER:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »
Bolt your shift lever back on, then remove the plate on the side of the frame so you can access the linkage. A coue of swivels and the right size allens so you can tighten up the linkage. That will help a bunch, I also suggest replacing the bushing on the shifter with a brass one supplied by board member Lee Bruns. Once all the slop is gone it will shift much better. I also always preload the foot lever before pulling in the clutch for buttery smooth shifts.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
I started having trouble far enough from new-purchase to know it was not a design/dealer assembly problem but early enough to trip my "oh yeah, it's a new Guzzi" sensors.

Couple-three queered shifts led me to look into it.

Dis-assembly, clean, inspect and reassembly was 25,000 miles ago. No issues to date.

The mods that folk perform are good ideas and had I the knowledge of them and the time, I would not have reassembled the original components but as I in fact have, they seem to be working just fine now.

Diminshed respect for the bike? Hey, it's not like it spontaneously combusted its final drive or ate a valve/holed a piston through a rush to production. ~;

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Richard Tasmania

• New Egg
  • Tasmania, Australia
Thanks for the helpful advice
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:43 AM »
Thanks for those of you who helped by giving constructive advice. I now know that the lever had slipped on the spline before I bought the bike. I had always been trying to adjust the outer rod with limited success. Taking advice from the helpful people on this forum, and following other online advice, I have now repaired the bike and it is much better than the day I bought it.
The bike was missing gears from the day I bought it. Perhaps that is why the bloke sold it. I assumed it was a problem in the gearbox.
cwiseman, I have a friend who is a fitter and turner, I will ask him to make a brass bush. Now that I have followed the good advice on this forum there is no play back and forwards, just sideways from that point.
I was really worried about how to access the linkage.  I was considering removing the swing arm or alternatively the air box and the cover plate below. Both major jobs. cwiseman, thanks for the tip about the side plate removal. I also took off the accessory plug (cigarette lighter) and this allowed more light to see what was happening. It was all in all a much simpler job than it original seemed and when the new part arrives it will only take an hour or two to replace.

I replaced the allen screw with a hex bolt. I removed the battery and side covers for accessibility. I cut a slight amount off the lever to allow it to close further. I moved the bolt down to the lower hole.  A new lever has been ordered ($106 and 4 weeks delivery). After a short test ride today the bike does not miss any gear. It changes almost as easily as the V7.
This is a great forum. I appreciate helpful advice. It's great when people who don't know each other can support others. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:56:23 AM by Richard Tasmania »
V50III gone but not forgotton
V7C 2012
California Vintage 2007
V50 Monza 1984
V7 Special 2022

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here