Author Topic: Decent late model five speed required.  (Read 5137 times)

Vasco DG

Decent late model five speed required.
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:38:02 PM »
Got a customer who has trashed his five speed in his SP. Anybody got a good late model five dog box out of a Cali or the like lying about that they want rid of?

Pete

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Vasco DG

Re: Decent late model five speed required.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »
Yeah, I saw that. 'May not ship to Oz.'which is a PITA. Also any '80's gearbox is quite likely to be tired. There's a Cali one on Fleabay as well from a 2002, I was thinking of that.

I just thought I'd ask in case someone here had one hangings about.

Thanks.

Pete

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »
Pete, I have a black 5 speed from an 03 Stone with 1140 miles on it. Let me know if you're interested. Joe
Joe Walano

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
Sounds ideal Joe. What do you want for it? PM me.

Pete

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:55 AM »
Got a customer who has trashed his five speed in his SP. Anybody got a good late model five dog box out of a Cali or the like lying about that they want rid of?

Pete

Can it be that bad ? Broken the unbrakeable ? I've got some bits if you need them, sure you have too, must be cheaper than  ex US freight unless something very weird has happened.

Without pics it never happened,
I'll buy the scrap if it is too far gone, if only for ornament, but I may have bits needed

Offline Cal3Me

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 01:33:37 AM »
lots of 5 sp. tranny's at Pin Wall Cycle in Ohio.........

Tim
TMS

Vasco DG

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 02:30:34 AM »
Shock absorber spring has shattered, spring collapses, collets retaining spring cap pop out, fifth gear then mills away cap until box is full of swarf. Finally piece of metal from *Somewhere* gets caught between driving gears. Box locks up but inertia imposes such extreme forces on the output shaft that it bends like a banana.

Un Breakable? No. Cost effective to *Repair*? No. Buy joe's 1100 mile box from US for $500. Shipping to here? <$200. Build *New* box internals into old cases with 3205AC3 bearings and shim drum correctly? $550-700 unless there is a problem, (How the f*ck would I know but I trust Joe.). Overall cost to customer? Sub two grand and he ends up with a basically *New* gearbox rather than building something out of a variety of shitters or simply replacing the bits that can't be salvaged.

To me the choice is very, very simple.

Pete

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 09:06:12 PM »
Shock absorber spring has shattered, spring collapses, collets retaining spring cap pop out, fifth gear then mills away cap until box is full of swarf. Finally piece of metal from *Somewhere* gets caught between driving gears. Box locks up but inertia imposes such extreme forces on the output shaft that it bends like a banana.

Un Breakable? No. Cost effective to *Repair*? No. Buy joe's 1100 mile box from US for $500. Shipping to here? <$200. Build *New* box internals into old cases with 3205AC3 bearings and shim drum correctly? $550-700 unless there is a problem, (How the f*ck would I know but I trust Joe.). Overall cost to customer? Sub two grand and he ends up with a basically *New* gearbox rather than building something out of a variety of shitters or simply replacing the bits that can't be salvaged.

To me the choice is very, very simple.

Pete
Wow
I've broken that spring twice, first time in the middle of Africa, rode it to London without incurring any more damage (had to be gentle on corrugations, ease on slowly)
Second time on racetrack, I pulled in, no further damage, Collets on both still in place just broken spring.
Maybe I'm lucky but like your carc pinion loose, you'd have to be a cnut to destroy it. If it's obviously not right, nurse home, fix. Or park and trailer

I've got output shaft if you haven't, maybe the damaged gears, but not fifth without sacrificing a perfect cluster, could be done quickly if needed.

Vasco DG

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »
Thanks Martin but the bike is an SP1000 that has been a bloke's regular commuter for ten years. The box has previously been taken apart by someone who didn't know what they were doing, little things like the selector drum shim at the back being next to the drum rather than the pin retainer washer and the gallons of red Loctite on everything. Input shaft peg nut has been well hammered, multiple times by the look of it! The whole thing was probably very 'How's yer father?' Before the spring went.

To my mind the cost of repairing such a massively damaged assembly simply isn't worth it. Can it be done? Of course it can, but it would need every bearing in the box, fifth gear pair, output shaft, any other pinions that are damaged and if you replace them they will be noisy on the old clustershaft, spring, collets, retainer cap, the list goes on. It was obvious the moment I pulled the speedo drive out and it came out covered in silver 'Paste' that what was inside was going to be really, really ugly, I haven't even bothered looking at stuff like selector forks, what's the point? Even if it was rebuilt it would still contain some thirty five year old parts. Who knows how long they are likely to last before wear or fatigue finally take their toll?

Parts alone would be hugely expensive. Instead I buy Joe's box with a genuine sub-2,000 miles and old mate starts off with what is effectively a brand new gearbox, every piece, for about the cost of a fifth gear pair and shock absorber spring. To me this makes much more sense and will be cheaper for the customer.

If you want pics I can take some, it really ain't a pretty sight.

Pete

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here