Author Topic: Ive Got Cancer  (Read 75589 times)

Offline raul

• Gosling
Re: Ive Got Cancer
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »
People will tell you "if there is anything I can do, just ask" without ever expecting to hear from you.  You can tell them, visit.  Yes, come by for a visit.  Often.  It doesn't have to be for long, just a drive by and say hello, but it all helps.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »
Dammm....Sorry to read this stuff!   Go hit it hard and get back to living!!!!    ;-T
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
Wow Rick, I'm sorry to hear this.

A lot of great words and comfort here. Hold to your loved ones, be strong but not tough. They need you too.

And never throw away today worrying about bad things, you're already doing the work.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
Crap.  I am so sorry to learn of your troubles.  I wish I could do more for you than send a healing prayer your way, but I will at least do that. 
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »

Offline Hugh Straub

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »
Hi Rick

This is very stressful, I know.

You should get a second opinion regarding treatment...Mayo has campuses in Scottsdale and Phoenix and Mayo is truly first rate.  Not too far away is M.D. Anderson in Houston, also among the best in the world.

God bless you.

Hugh

Brgds

Hugh
"Often wrong, never in doubt"

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »
Rick,

I have a dear friend who is fighting lung cancer.  He is a respiratory therapist so he knows what's at stake.  He told me that as long as he was right with those he loved and his God he could deal with any outcome.  Sounds like you have both those bases covered.  He's still here five years after his initial diagnosis..

Good Luck and God Bless from a lapsed Catholic that has also returned to the Church.  I'll say a prayer for you at Easter Mass.

Dave
Galveston

Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »
I'm sorry that you must go through this, Rick. I'll be praying for your comfort, healing, and emotional peace. You're one of the good guys, buddy...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »
 Rick, I guy I know survived a similar situation to yours and he's good to go....It was was not exactly a walk in the park but the docs patched him up well and he looks and speaks just fine.
  It's probably the toughest thing you've done so need clarity of mind and strength...Best to you.. and remember to hug your family..  ;-T

Offline nosail

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
My brother had stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma at the base of the tongue. He went through aggressive chemo and radiation treatment and has been cancer free for 8 years now. I wish you all the best and hope everything works out.
Rick
2008 MG 1200 Sport in gay pirate black (but it's fast)
2011 V7 Racer #58 in black
2003 V11 LeMans (finally a red Guzzi)

Burnaby, B.C.

lucydad

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
Rick,

I am so sorry for this news.  My response is to go into prayer Warrior for you.  Faith does help.

May I also suggest taking up meditation to calm your body, mind and spirit? 

Be kind to yourself.  Reach out to friends and family. 

blessings,

Offline Ralph Plant

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
Hey Rick,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was 56 when I was given almost the same news-squamous cell cancer at the base of my tongue with involvement of the lymph nodes as well. It was like a kick to the stomach and took a little while to sink in.

If I can offer any advice, I would recommend that you learn as much as you can about your type of cancer (the American Cancer Society has a good website), write down your questions and concerns before your appointment, always bring someone with you-it can be a very emotional experience and it's easy to miss the many details that will arise, and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as it takes for you understand the situation and the options for treatment.
One question that served me well at that time was "If I were your father/brother/friend, what treatment would you recommend?'

I ended up getting six rounds of weekly chemo and six weeks of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) five times a week. If your Doc suggests a feeding tube at some point don't fight it, as your throat will become increasingly sore as treatment progresses. Pain meds are a good thing and I found it better to be pro-active rather than try to quell the pain once it had started. Pain patches are good.

At the end of my treatment I was a little beat up and I lost my salivary glands as well as my thyroid to the collateral damage of the radiation but I'm still here, cancer-free, better than new, more than ten years later, and I would imagine that treatment methods available today are quantum leaps ahead of what was available then.

Stay strong, Rick and seek out the very best care available.

Ralph

Ralph Plant
Tiverton, RI
'78 LeMans

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
It *can* be beat, Rick. Sorry you have to go through this..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
Rick,
I have survived a squamous cell carcinoma at the back of my tongue and lymph nodes, just about to hit the 5 year mark.
Mine was not as involved as yours and apart from the medico pulling 11 teeth with twin roots I avoided surgery, radiation and chemo did the job.
Squamous has 2 genetic types, one very treatable the other not so much.
First off stay positive and although it may be difficult make plans for the future.
Dont sweat the small stuff, your job now is too get better, stay positive and go with the flow, remember this.
Also keep in mind EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and is effected in different ways. Not sure which chemo they will give you its probably changed by now anyway, effects on me where a cross between a hangover and a cold for a few days after treatment.
Radiation is another animal entirely, it starts out easy and by the end gets hard.
The list of possible side effects is long with either chemo or radiation, you may or may not get some, they may or may not be an issue, handle them IF they occur, everyone is different. Have a good long talk with your oncologists, TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU so they can listen as well,about their plan for you, side effects, prognosis and recovery time etc.
Get used to blood tests.
You may end up with a feeding tube up you nose for a time or they may fit a pict directly into your stomach, you will not be able to eat normally due to radiation burns to your throat, go with the flow, I fought against the tube up the nose until I was loosing over a kilo a day, you'll know when its time.
Did I mention staying positive?
Rick what you are about to go through is probably going to be the hardest thing you have ever done and you can do it, I managed and I'm nothing special, the fact is its a LOT better than the alternative.
On the down side I wasnt strong enough to take the Lemans for a ride for about 18 months, the first ride was memorable and bloody enjoyable.
I wish you luck and a positive outcome.
Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline CTYANKEE

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
I don't know what to say, but everyone is pulling for you. I'm Catholic too, I'll light a few candles for you in our Church. I'd contact the church also, they might have a support group or prayer line.

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
Sorry to hear this. I do not know much about this however this is what I know. A very close friend has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he is struggling but staying positive. He is praying for the will to do what god wishes. 

His doctor is amazed, at his stage most are deceased or bedridden. He is neither. He is realistic but hopeful. I am too, for you and him.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »
What I gleaned from the NPR spot, each cancer is different and it's different for each person. A treatment that does not work for one person can work on someone else. Cancers will morph and a treatment that kicks butt at first can become ineffective. Be pro-active, find the best doctors to help you in the fight. A bit of luck and prayer can't hurt either. Good luck sir!
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 06:02:13 PM »
I hate to hear this Rick.

I thought you were out of the woods with the other stuff, and now this.

It's a trial, but you'll make it through. You have a great family to help.

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »
Best wishes to you and your family Rick. Be strong and I'm sure you'll do whatever you need to make yourself healthy again. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 06:15:57 PM »
Rick,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis; you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

But you also have a lot of support in your family, your complement of friends, and here on WG.  And a lot to look forward to.

Keep us posted and let us know what we can do to help.  

Best,

Carlo

Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »
Bummer. Hang in there. Best wishes to you and your family.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
Rick -

I am very sad to hear this news and my thoughts and prayers go out to you. 

Advances in cancer treatments and and medicines have improved dramatically in the last few years, so there is hope,  and a lot of hope, but you must be strong and fight!

Yes, keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

JJC
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

56Pan

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
Rick, I've got one older brother 10 years out from pancreatic cancer, and doing fine.  The next older one now has prostate cancer and is dealing with that.  Don't know how much influence prayers from this old sinner have with the Almighty, but Frank made it through 10 yrs. ago and had my prayers.  You'll be in them now. Good luck, sir.

canuck750

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »
Damn so sorry to hear of this, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Guzzi guys and gals are tough buggers who constantly turn lemons into lemonade.

In five years you are going to look back on this diagnosis and say to yourself that was very, very tough but I pulled though with the help of my family and I am now so much stronger a person as a result.

Stay positive, and look after yourself as much as you can.

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
Re: Re: Ive Got Cancer
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
Rick, here's a big hug from Tucson.
I am here if there's anything I can do, or if you just wanna talk.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »
Hi, Rick.

You have already received better practical advice than I could ever give, but what I can tell you is that you are a good person, with a great deal to offer.  I have seen your posts on multiple forums for years, and they are always polite, respectful,  helpful and considerate.  Never negative, never defensive,  ALWAYS positive.  I have repeatedly thought "Now there's a guy that would make a great friend.  Hope I get to meet him some day."   Now, you just need to channel all that positive energy into getting better, and you *will* get there.  In the meantime,  I'm glad I told you what I think of you,  sorry I waited until now, and look even more forward to when we do actually get the chance to meet in person.  That will be a great day!

Pulling for you,

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
God bless Rick,

Knowledge is power.  Learn as much as you can.  Your friends on WG are all here for you!

Randy

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »
Rick, I wish you all the best. All I can tell you one of my inlaws had the same diagnosis, has been treated and has been cancer free for 4 years now. It can be beat.

Pete

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
I have had 3 independent cancers, 4 if you count basal cell carcinomas. I'm still here. All I can say is find a good doctor and do what they tell you. If they want to cut something out, cut it out. If you have to do chemo or radiation, do it. Do not hesitate. Do not go to mexico for some quack cure or ignore it hoping it will go away. Just do the next right thing and stay away from the fads. Lots of cancers are quite curable. Good luck, you are strong enough to handle whatever happens..
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
Stay strong and tough.

Rich A

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
Wishing you lots of love and support.  You have a lot of guys here on your side.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here