Author Topic: Gun & Intruder in Moto Grappa Today (GC)  (Read 20966 times)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Gun & Intruder in Moto Grappa Today (GC)
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »

Folks bein' folks... I'll pass on the debates as I stick to firearms talk with firearms fans... Never once e-media corrected a flawed opinion on firearms ownership/use in literally hundreds of opportunities and ain't gonna re-start nor defend my position now.

What I do want is to be able to replicate the custom Toronado up-arear of this rendition honey wielding her, what... Winchester 1400?

Toronado, El Dorado... I like the concept.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
Olds Toronado

And, Remington 1100
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
Actually crows are pretty smart , at least smarter than most criminals  :grin:

Dusty

Well, some smart.   I have a scarecrow named Jobu and an owl named Winnie protecting my garden, and the crows don't know that they're not real.

After one crow was terminated with extreme prejudice at the edge of .22 Magnum range, the rest of them haven't come near for months ....

So yes, a bit like criminals.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
glad everything came out ok.  my favorite anecdote is from radio broadcaster Adam Corrola.  He keeps a shotgun under the bed, the first two rounds filled with rock salt, the others, well, you get the idea.  From his experience, the iconic sound of a shotgun being primed with rapid footsteps tends to scare away trouble.  Plus, if he is under duress to shoot, the victim will most likely be incapacitated, and will not be able to sue Adam for his home and bank account.   

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »

Dusty
you are absolutely right, they have some kind of facial recognition and can call other ravens.   Someone drove over a raven near my house, there must have been slightly less than 100 ravens show up, mostly down by the body of the dead raven.    Lets just say people were driving on the other side of the road until I disposed of the carcass

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
  Dusty

Just "smart enough", IMO.
IMO, if you are going to shoot a crow, you should not let it see your gun.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2015, 08:27:45 PM »
Crows can count. If 5 guys walk into a blind and 4 come out, they won't come near. At least, that's what I've read about them..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Bill Hagan

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »

Lordy.

What have I wrought?

A bunch of raven madmen. 

Nevermore will I poest such again.

:wink:

Bill
'

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »
Bill, you owe me a screen and keyboard.  The tea I spewed forth, reading your post, has toasted my laptop.  :grin: :azn:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »
 Oh c'mon Bill , surely an attorney of your stature can appreciate any creature that is involved in so many murders and never does any time  :wink:

Dusty

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
Ye gads,a murder of crows, ravens nevermore, all within the curtilage!!  Must be brief or the Association of Old Crows may home in on this pigeon, er signal.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
glad everything came out ok.  my favorite anecdote is from radio broadcaster Adam Corrola.  He keeps a shotgun under the bed, the first two rounds filled with rock salt, the others, well, you get the idea.  From his experience, the iconic sound of a shotgun being primed with rapid footsteps tends to scare away trouble.  Plus, if he is under duress to shoot, the victim will most likely be incapacitated, and will not be able to sue Adam for his home and bank account.

I keep a sawed-off 12ga loaded similarly... first shell is very light birdshot, then a few 00buckshot, and a couple PDX1 for the finishing move

I figure even the sound of racking the first shell into the chamber should get most people headed the opposite direction quick...  if that doesn't work, a little bang & pepper with the birdshot should send them scamperin'...  If I need a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th shot... well it's all castle doctrine at that point 

As far as CCW..  I skip the little Keltec 9mm my dad gave me and lug a huge & heavy Glock 21 that LOOKS the business if I ever had to whip it out. I am looking a lot more for deterrence than actually having to use it. Besides a Desert Eagle .50 or a long barrel .44mag I don't think any other pistols LOOK as imposing as a big square black Glock
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »
Birdshot, raven lunatics, where will this thread take us? :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »
Besides a Desert Eagle .50 or a long barrel .44mag I don't think any other pistols LOOK as imposing as a big square black Glock

A nickel-plated 1911... 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
I thought some might find this article in todays New York Times interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/nyregion/guns-at-hand-a-prison-town-traces-a-manhunt-for-escaped-killers.html?ref=nyregion

I am sure the reporter from the city may have learned a few things about folks in the rest of the state.

"Guns are a part of life in the North Country, the thickly wooded tracts at the uppermost edge of New York State. There are hunting rifles, but here in the shadow of the state’s largest maximum-security prison, they keep pistols and revolvers, too, most often unloaded — just in case.

At Vann’s Gun Shop & Reloads in nearby Plattsburgh, one of the owners, Mary Vann, said she had not seen a run on ammunitions, nor sold any more than usual of her top seller, a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson pistol, since the escape. There was no need.

“Everybody is pretty well armed up here to begin with,” she said. “We are prepared up here for almost anything.” "

Pete

redrider

« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
Wife and semi-auto do not mix well. I bought a Ruger LCR .38+P for her and she likes it. Best trigger on any DAO revolver IMO. A Bersa BP9CC is my dog walker. Very, very nice trigger, short reset and dead nuts accurate. Zero malfunctions.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Dean -

She really needs to go to a gun store (or come to my house) and try the different types of guns.

Depending on the size and strength of her hands, some guns may be too "intimidating" for her to want to use it even if she needs to.

Lannis 

Dean

Good Idea from Lannis but I also must add --make sure she can rack the slide or remove the mag if a semi  I went through this with a Walther PPK that I bought for my wife.  The trigger shortens when the slide is racked with is great for her small Cantonese hands but even I had trouble racking the slide - if felt like it had a 40 lb recoil spring.

Also mention to her Big Gun = little recoil, little gun = Big Recoil given the same round.

My 83 year old mother "borrowed" my S & W - J frame 38 for her motorhome travels protection.

I keep lust for the S & W model 60, 3" barrel, J frame with small grip and .357 to own.  A nice little wheelgun.

Still I believe this is my best "deterrent" that causes bad people to go elsewhere:

There are advantages to having a dog breed that has been a prison guard dog for over a century.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »
What kinda dawg is that ??
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »

Is she wearing hearing protection?  I'd gladly put my fingers in her ears.

Oh well,

In my garage it's Machetes, knives and occasional firearm cleaning.  Folks tend not to hang around on the sidewalk when they see this through the open garage door.

Tobit

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Railroad Bob

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
Wow Tobit- that looks like a heavy piece.  Varmint grade bbl, obviously. What cal. is that bad boy?  I have a Savage 112-V single shot heavy bbl rifle; .220 swift but it's nowhere near as massive as that tube. And Lannis, interesting to read about your crow exploits.  Our neighborhood is awash in the big black birds; they seem to have no natural predators. They destroy all the songbird families they can; I see the broken eggs.  I could "handle" them, but my county/city won't allow it.  No firearm discharging allowed, excepting the true self defense scenarios of course.  Which thankfully are rare in my neighborhood. Like in never, that I know of.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »
. And Lannis, interesting to read about your crow exploits.  Our neighborhood is awash in the big black birds; they seem to have no natural predators. They destroy all the songbird families they can; I see the broken eggs.  I could "handle" them, but my county/city won't allow it.  No firearm discharging allowed, excepting the true self defense scenarios of course.  Which thankfully are rare in my neighborhood. Like in never, that I know of.

RRB, feel free to decimate the crow population in your area. When they  ask about the self defense scenario,  show Hitchcock's the "The Birds".  :laugh: :evil:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »
What kinda dawg is that ??

Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dog, State dog of Louisiana, Bred by Louisiana state prison for about 100 years.

The generally accepted history is it's a Cur of DeSoto brought Mastiffs and Greyhounds to the new world as hunters and man-killers as he pillaged Florida to Louisiana 1539 -1542 looking for gold to steal, just like he did in Peru.  The dogs were left behind which interbred with the Red Wolf and later the French Beauceron that the new settlers brought in.

http://www.abneycatahoulas.com/history.php

Being short fur and webbed feet they are good in swamps for the Catahoula Parish for which they are named.

These dogs are used as Bear, Boar, Hog hunters, Cattle herding and Prison Dogs.

I look at them as the 'Merican Doberman with extra skills.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
not-fishing, reply #89

Interesting link thanks mate :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here