Author Topic: Cable mania  (Read 1878 times)

canuguzzi

Cable mania
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
Can't wait for more controls to be the "by wire" type or if that isn't in the cards, better routing or shrouding to eliminate the Borg on a bicycle look.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cable mania
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »
I like the simplicity but not the look of cables.

With bicycles, I really like the look of a lugged steel frame with no bosses and no cables at all. Of course, that means no front brake, a rear coaster brake, and only one or two gears.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »
I've made up a cable shroud for the Norge and am still refining it. With a little more work all the cables will not be visible when looking at the bike. It sure cleans up the aesthetics.

Its a tricky proposition though, making sure no binding is introduced but is is possible. The hardest part is avoiding a bulky add-on look. Pretty sure that the final version will need paint to match the bare aluminum look of the bars. Some cables and wiring has to remain visible as they come out of the controls but at least they will be hidden as soon as they are routed together as they already are

The Norge looks really nice and clean until you see all the wires and cable routing. They detract from such an otherwise nice cockpit area.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:56:05 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
Can't wait for more controls to be the "by wire" type or if that isn't in the cards, better routing or shrouding to eliminate the Borg on a bicycle look.

The diavel has 'by wire' throttle, but the encoder for the throttle position is near the throttle bodies operated...by cables. It gives a very 'like cable' operation, spring return, and feel. Any system that doesn't feel like cables is usually balked by reviewers.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:49:12 PM »
I've made up a cable shroud for the Norge and am still refining it. With a little more work all the cables will not be viable

Bet that catches on

canuguzzi

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
Fixed it to read visible.  :thewife:

Thanks.

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »
Cables?!  That's nothin'   :evil:   

The Guzzi has one cable.   :cool:   My other bike has 5 (five) levers on the handle bar and everyone has a cable.

Of course it is 75 years old...  :grin:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here