Author Topic: Anyone here get the "forced" Windows 10 upgrade done to them?  (Read 17237 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anyone here get the "forced" Windows 10 upgrade done to them?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
We are required to use only Windows 7 and nothing over IE8 because of compatibility issues with our network.

Your IT team better get on the ball, then. While Win7 remains supported for the foreseeable future, IE8 is already off support - and has vulnerabilities that leave serious gaps. This will only get worse as time goes by...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »

That's what I did too: converted my XP to Linux.   It works, but the Linux bugs and quirks are painful.  I still like it, but it's not painless.

I'm curious about what bugs and quirks you're experiencing with Mint.  Over the years, Fedora has become very stable and non-buggy for me.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »
I'm curious about what bugs and quirks you're experiencing with Mint.  Over the years, Fedora has become very stable and non-buggy for me.

I recall that setting different user accounts required the use of lower case letters only.  If you tried to use an upper case letter, Linux didn't tell you want the problem was, it would merely fail.  Took me forever to even learn what the issue was.
Just stuff like that.  I like it, but it's liking an old hunting dog.  You take the good with the bad.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »
Interesting.  I just added the user "Test" to my Fedora 23 system and it worked fine.  (Not to show off, but just to see if there was a problem.)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
Interesting.  I just added the user "Test" to my Fedora 23 system and it worked fine.  (Not to show off, but just to see if there was a problem.)

Glad they fixed it.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »
I nixed the automatic updates after several messages to get a free upgrade to Win10. Windows 10 automatically spies on your computer and sends the data back to Microsoft. I don't like that spying. I have a home desktop currently running on Win7. If they try to automatically upgrade to Win10, I will go to Linux and use Thunderbird for email. No more spying.
I use CCleaner regularly to clean the machine. Works just fine. I also use Ghostery to prevent spyware from watching me. That is a great free app. You wouldn't believe how many companies want to take your data without your permission.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »
I recall that setting different user accounts required the use of lower case letters only.  If you tried to use an upper case letter, Linux didn't tell you want the problem was, it would merely fail.  Took me forever to even learn what the issue was.
Just stuff like that.  I like it, but it's liking an old hunting dog.  You take the good with the bad.
Which flavor? I'm using Mint-I'll be connecting to the network tomorrow but so far much nicer than the way XP was running-that said the Win10 at home has been fine.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »
Glad they fixed it.

Well, there are enough differences between those distributions that it doesn't prove anything was fixed in Mint.  I was interested because I had never heard of the problem before.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:07:22 PM by Triple Jim »

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »
A TV station where I hang out some times had one of their machines do the automatic bit so they decided to update them all. Once updated they lost their network server, it seems to be a known problem in 10 killing some network servers. They had to go back on all of their machines. Altogether tied the station up all day.

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
W10 that is upgraded from W7 has forced updates.  If you install W10 fresh, you can still choose.  I have a fresh W10 on my new Skylake box.  Seems fine once you get past a few cosmetic changes.  And if you do a fresh install, don't be connected to the Internet.  If so, it will want to tie your computer to some Microsoft network account.  If not, you still get to make local accounts.  Once installed, then hook to Internet to get any updates.

Besides the GWX control panel, Microsoft also have an approved method to turn it off (involves getting an update to Windows Update itself and then messing around in the Group Policy Editor).  This was mainly done for corporations wanting to turn off the W10 update nagging across the company.

I did notice that the W10 upgrade went from the "optional" category to the "important" category a month ago or so.  I have GWX on my W7 box so I don't care.
"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 06:48:53 PM »
AFAIK LINUX and its flavors have always been upper/lower case sensitive at all levels of syntax.  So GREP and grep are different concepts in LINUX.

True, but as I understand the problem described by sign216, his Linux Mint system would fail to create a user account if any capital letters were used in the account name.

Edit:  apparently some Linux systems default to not allowing capital letters in user names, since it's considered bad form in UNIX-like systems.  The default behavior can be changed with some magical incantations.  So it's not a bug, it's a conscious decision by the packager.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:11:27 PM by Triple Jim »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
misc data points:

MS does not force an upgrade to windows 10.  It offers and nags but it doesn't sneak it in on you.

W10 is a 64-bit operating system.  If your computer doesn't do 64 bits throughout, the upgrade will fail.  If the upgrade fails, don't try to force it.  YOU will come to grief and you will blame it on Microsoft.

W10 does automatically do updates.  Updates are not the same as upgrades, and this topic is so confused between the two concepts that I am not going to comment on the original post.

You have some control over the scheduling/restarts, but for at least while the opsys is being offered for free, one of the terms is that your computer SHALL accept updates.  As has been pointed out, almost everything, including W10 updates, can be defeated.  Clever people can make the updates not happen.

Last week (or over the weekend) a MS update came down that was not successful loading on many computers.  Mine was one.  However, the update process noticed that the update package was broken and uninstalled it for me automagically.

AFAIK LINUX and its flavors have always been upper/lower case sensitive at all levels of syntax.  So GREP and grep are different concepts in LINUX.

That is all.

Some of these points are not entirely correct or don't contain full information and may cause confusion.

The latest Windows Update (for March) included a patch that for some systems assumes you have decided to upgrade to Win10 - it was labelled as 'important', so for many systems it was an automatic update. (Previous patches like this were mostly listed as optional and did not automatically install.) It will download the update in background without notification, and will begin the upgrade process. The process can be interrupted or reversed, however.

W10 is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The one you get will be based on what you install, unless the upgrade process tests for whether the components on your system can support 64-bit, which the installation 'prefers'. One of my testbed systems is a 64-bit CPU, but had 32-bit Win8.1 - when I upgraded it to Win10, I got 32-bit Win10.

In Win7 and Win8, all versions (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Ultimate) allowed the user to select three basic modes of controlling updates (i.e., patches). Users could allow them, ask to be notified but not have patches download or install automatically, or simply set the entire process to manual. With some tinkering, you could get finer steps on the scale.

In Win10, Home gives you no choice about whether you receive updates and even some upgrades; you have limited control over when you will install them and when you will reboot in order to activate them (if required). Pro gives you a bit more control allowing a delay of receiving and installing patches, but it is just that - a delay, not the ability to say 'no'. Enterprise gives full control, but is designed to only work in an environment that uses Microsoft's enterprise management tools.

ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Kentktk

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
My old G4 MacBook 11 years old and going strong.  It's fine for online forums, YouTube, and word processing.  Getting slower on many sites and flash updates are no more.  Hope to get a little more out of it before another Apple takes its place.  Never a virus in all that time.
:thumb:

Kentktk

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »

And could we please stop derailing the thread by telling experiences with total different OS�s?

Just helping by trying to get the MS blinders off :grin:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »
But the question is about MS issues ;)

FWIW, when I upgraded my machines (Win7Pro and Win7Home) I was allowed to NOT make a Microsoft account.

When I bought my new computer, same thing.  I still do not have an account.

But, I do let the system upgrade automatically.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Penderic

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:12 PM »
I learned the lesson. I'm saying as far away from Win10 as possible!  :undecided:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:56:40 PM by Penderic »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 05:55:54 AM »
True, but as I understand the problem described by sign216, his Linux Mint system would fail to create a user account if any capital letters were used in the account name.

Edit:  apparently some Linux systems default to not allowing capital letters in user names, since it's considered bad form in UNIX-like systems.  The default behavior can be changed with some magical incantations.  So it's not a bug, it's a conscious decision by the packager.

Whether you call it a bug, or a conscious design choice, the net effect is the same: it's a Linux quirk that causes a huge pain for a new user.  I.e. I'm talking about not allowing capital letters when choosing user acount names.

I love having a system that's an alternative to the corporate giants (Apple, Microsoft, etc), but the Linux quirks have their own price to pay.  Nothing's free, right?

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »
 I *wanted" the W10 upgrade and I'm very happy with it. I think it's a bit improvement over 8/8.1 and I wanted to get it while it was free.
But then again, I also have fuel injection and I like the V9 !  :grin:
John

Edit: I meant to say "I think it's a big improvement"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:57:32 AM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 07:03:53 AM »
I *wanted" the W10 upgrade and I'm very happy with it. I think it's a bit improvement over 8/8.1 and I wanted to get it while it was free.
But then again, I also have fuel injection and I like the V9 !  :grin:
John

MS would have had to work very hard to make it any worse than W8/8.1 on a non touch screen machine IMO :wink:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »
Whether you call it a bug, or a conscious design choice, the net effect is the same: it's a Linux quirk that causes a huge pain for a new user.  I.e. I'm talking about not allowing capital letters when choosing user acount names.

I love having a system that's an alternative to the corporate giants (Apple, Microsoft, etc), but the Linux quirks have their own price to pay.  Nothing's free, right?

You make a good point, but Windows has at least an equal number of quirks.  They're been around for so long that they've been forgotten.  One example is having to select "Start" to stop the system.  Admittedly I don't know if the latest versions are still that way, but it was true last time I used Windows.

And Apple... I once spent half an hour trying to figure out how to select the printer I wanted to use.  I assumed it would be somewhere in a group of printer options labeled "print" or something similar, but no, I had to select "Chooser".

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
You make a good point, but Windows has at least an equal number of quirks.  They're been around for so long that they've been forgotten.  One example is having to select "Start" to stop the system.  Admittedly I don't know if the latest versions are still that way, but it was true last time I used Windows.

And Apple... I once spent half an hour trying to figure out how to select the printer I wanted to use.  I assumed it would be somewhere in a group of printer options labeled "print" or something similar, but no, I had to select "Chooser".

Funny, I completely about that, that you had to press Start to get to the stop function on PC computers.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »
Windows isn't the only OS that you use Start to get to "Shut Down" the computer, Linux (Ubuntu) does it that way also. And whoever said Win10 is a vast improvement over 8/8.1 is 100% correct.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2016, 10:01:49 AM »
But, in Win10 you now select "Power" on the menu to turn it off or restart.  :)  And they have that cute little icon for 'Power" as well. 

Since I use a laptop most of the time I just set it up so it turns off when I close the lid.  The new one is even better.  The solid state drive means a boot up is right around 5sec.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »
Windows isn't the only OS that you use Start to get to "Shut Down" the computer, Linux (Ubuntu) does it that way also.

I've never used Ubuntu, but I get the feeling it was set up to make Windows users feel comfortable.  (No barb intended)

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »
I tried the Win10 upgrade and liked it very much but it broke the card reader and some of the USB's on my Alienware M17 laptop so I reverted to Win7 pro and am sitting there.  If Win7 Pro ever fails me I will install one of the Linuxes.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »
All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:

oca.telemetry.micro soft.com.nsatc.net
 pre.footprintpredic t.com
 reports.wes.df.tele metry.microsoft.com

This will allow Microsoft and the greater Parasite community to have a way to steal every joke, every poem, every intellectual endeavor you ever create and have it copyrighted before you even stop typing.

Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:
 vortex.data.microso ft.com
 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
 telecommand.telemet ry.microsoft.com
 telecommand.telemet ry.microsoft.com.ns atc.net
 oca.telemetry.micro soft.com
 sqm.telemetry.micro soft.com
 sqm.telemetry.micro soft.com.nsatc.net

This allows them to track you very accurately.

Typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:
 df.telemetry.micros oft.com
 reports.wes.df.tele metry.microsoft.com
 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com

This allows them to index any "unauthorized" content, and build a dossier on you that can be used in conjunction with their tracking data to stuff almost anyone in jail when needed.

When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:
 i1.services.social. microsoft.com
 i1.services.social. microsoft.com.nsatc .net

This allows them to get a good layout of your home and surroundings, and a good look at YOU PERSONALLY so they know exactly who to go get and how to stage the attack when something you typed pissed them off.

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:

i1.services.social. microsoft.com
 i1.services.social. microsoft.com.nsatc .net
 telemetry.appex.bin g.net
 telemetry.urs.micro soft.com
 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
 statsfe1.ws.microso ft.com

Just what I've heard?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
Just what I've heard?

I have plenty of tin foil hats for the misinformed that believe that stuff.

And there are plenty of misinformed folks that do.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:45:34 PM by oldbike54 »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »
[quote author=OMG link=topic=82257.msg1299442#msg1299442 date=145815366

I'm NOT taking any chances, windoz 7 works just fine for me, I shut off automatic updates and only update with critical ones now.

And YES, I believe it's the ultimate spyware yet to be produced. Why would micro-turd give away something for free?

Americas Book of Secrets S03 E02 Big Brother    :evil:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:54:32 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Windoz 10 -> Buried in the service agreement is permission to poke through everything on your PC.

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2016, 01:59:29 PM »
And you think they don't do that with Win7 or Mac?
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here