Author Topic: Anyone here get the "forced" Windows 10 upgrade done to them?  (Read 17354 times)

Offline grinmaul

• New Egg
Re: Anyone here get the "forced" Windows 10 upgrade done to them?
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
Just helping by trying to get the MS blinders off :grin:

and install Apple blinders instead.

So many older and non tech people being convinced that they need a $2000 mac to stop the hackers from stealing their Facebook, when all they really needed was a $200 chromebook.

on topic, i think my work computer just told me it will be doing the update in 2 days.. will have to search how to stop that, like most companys, our network is years out of date, or software is from the 90's. i will bet it breaks something.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2016, 04:36:55 PM »
And you think they don't do that with Win7 or Mac?

Go ahead, install 10 and get 'updates' against your will.  :evil:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »

So many older and non tech people being convinced that they need a $2000 mac to stop the hackers from stealing their Facebook, when all they really needed was a $200 chromebook.

on topic, i think my work computer just told me it will be doing the update in 2 days.. will have to search how to stop that, like most companys, our network is years out of date, or software is from the 90's. i will bet it breaks something.

If you only knew how the FBI and other alphabet organizations watch people, gather information and monitor people off Facebook.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:40:05 PM by Cool Runnings »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
Go ahead, install 10 and get 'updates' against your will.  :evil:

It isn't against my will.  I accepted it.

At least I realize that I am being monitored.  Thinking you are somehow avoiding it by selecting no automatic updates is naïve.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2016, 05:16:17 PM »
It isn't against my will.  I accepted it.

At least I realize that I am being monitored.  Thinking you are somehow avoiding it by selecting no automatic updates is naïve.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »

As I have noted, Microsoft OS versions are like Foreigner albums and Star Trek movies - every other one is good.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2016, 08:15:46 PM »

Someone was clueless enough to leave out WFW, CE, NT, WM WP and even 98SE.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »

:boozing:

Kentktk

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2016, 08:45:34 PM »

Of course it will break something, it`s MS :violent1:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:50:01 PM by Kentktk »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2016, 05:49:00 AM »
Let me add another log to this fire:

My son works for a small non-corporate computer company.  He reports that the XP operating system continues to be a big seller.  As does Windows 7.

Mmmm, Rage Against The Machine? 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »
Someone was clueless enough to leave out WFW, CE, NT, WM WP and even 98SE.

Maybe they were just being kind - after all, they didn't mention any of the NT family, let alone MS Bob!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »
Besides the afore mentioned GWX control panel, here's the link to the Microsoft sanctioned procedure to turning off all of the W10 prompting, nagging, etc.  Read it carefully as it isn't for the faint hearted.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
There is medication for your issue .

Dusty

Correct, stay away from windoz 10.

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2016, 02:34:35 AM »
I had a window pop up every so often asking if I'd like to install windows 10... I replied 'no' about 15 times, then this morning I saw that my windows 10 upgrade was about to start! if this is the future, count me out!!!

just installed the GWX and seems to be working.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2016, 04:21:09 AM »
" after all, they didn't mention any of the NT family"

Huh? XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 are all dyed-in-the-wool  members of the NT - family.

Regarding the sniffing-out paranoia: all my machine reports are crash reports. Likewise before my different NT4-, XP-, Vista - and 7 - machines. It is extremely simple to change all this options at Win10. Including Win10 mobile.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:25:44 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline GuzziGoneWild

• New Egg
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2016, 06:51:23 AM »
Yes, A couple of days ago. I was doing a Garmin update and went a way for a couple min. came back it was doing its Install and Update.We have three lap tops and windows 10 is installed on one of them by my choice. The other 2 are used for our Vinyl decal Cutter and it is not compatible with Win10. I was furious, Then my wife said it had happened to her earlier on her lap top. after I has done its install It askes you if you are the owner of this computer. if you click it is not Win10 is uninstalled.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2016, 12:04:05 PM »

Dusty

“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

“We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility” and “use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.”

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features.”

http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-permission-watch-every-move.html

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
Well, I guess this qualifies as a forced conversion to Win 10 - my boss wants to give me a new computer, and guess what it will be running.

So I'm cleaning up this one right now to say goodbye to Win 7. I'm going to miss it.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:44 PM »
Many years ago, by and large we (and I) were excited about upgrading to the latest version of DOS.  I kinda skipped that and went straight to Windows 3. We were very excited by Windows 95 and other than a few mis-queues (like Bob), we sucked up the new OS and the latest fastest processor like fresh milk.

But somewhere around XP, upgrades were more of a threat than something to look forward to. :undecided:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
I'm with CoolRunnings on this one. Windows 10 is primarily a way for Microsoft and government agencies to spy on you through your computer. It is the best backdoor money can buy. It seems some on this board do not care if they are being spied on or not. I choose to not be so naive. And, I place a very high value on my privacy. Once Win 10 is on your computer you have NO way to stop the computer from sending your data, all your info they can grab, back to Microsoft. It won't tell you when those reports are being sent back. To me, that is a shining example of the sinister sickness we have to deal with every day. No thanks.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »
Apple is no better.  Computer users only get to choose WHO rapes them.  The fact that they are going to be raped is not negotiable.  It's a huge reason I'm not going to try to save my business.  Back in the 70s and 80s we were pushing the personal computer as a way to protect our privacy and information.  Now the same companies that sold us on that concept are the ones that are 'centralizing' it again.  You cannot buy a copy of MS OFFICE 2015.  You can only buy time on the Microsoft server.  It's exactly what was going on in the 70s when Microsoft promised to rescue us from all that, except that MS is now telling you up front that they're helping themselves to your identity, information, and privacy.  It's in the license 'agreement'.  You play by their wishes or you don't play at all.  This is the point that I quit.

guzzipete

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2016, 05:42:54 PM »
Not having any issues with my Commodore 64. Still runs as good as it did when I took it out of the box.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2016, 07:28:23 PM »
As aggregat data points we may be interesting, as individuals; unless we have a lot of discretionary cash, we are not.

So remain poor and healthy (at least old unhealthy farts can be a revenue stream for health care providers) and the powers that be will not be interested in you.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
Not having any issues with my Commodore 64. Still runs as good as it did when I took it out of the box.

As long as you have the 2400 baud modem...sweet!!

Jeff

ps still have my c64 with the 1541 disk drive and modem (yes..2400!!) in the attic.

Hook it up every couple of years. Still run great. Just slow...like me!!!

Just can't seem to part with it.....
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
I still got a vic20 with tape input.  When I stepped up to floppies I got a 1542 -- dual stacked!  Then an Epson R80 COLOR dot matrix printer.  Yeah!  That's the stuff!

I still got my first laptop too -- a Tandy model 100, and a Compaq 8088 LUGGABLE!  It's the size of a necchi-elna sewing machine and weighs more.

When I upgraded the Commodore Vic 20 I got the Commodore PC-10 (8086) with the massive 10Mb HDD!  I had to sell my WPL Harley to afford it.  That was in about '83.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2016, 10:19:40 PM »
I am one of those who doesn't care about the privacy.  My life has been open to the govt for over 40 years.

I am also one of those who recognizes that the only way to maintain privacy is to be disconnected.  No cable TV, no internet, no cell phone, no credit cards, no govt checks.  Cash for everything and only in person transactions.  Even a hard wire phone isn't 'safe' anymore.  Once you connect to one of those systems, your data is subject to monitoring.

Like stated above, the govt and big business really isn't interested in 99.999% of the people as individuals.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Guzzigary777

• New Egg
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2016, 12:15:40 AM »
It happened to me a couple of months ago. I always liked NT, then "7" was ok.  After that they forced "8" on me.  What a cluster@#$%.  Ten sucks, very intrusive but it seems better than "8".

OldBMWMaster

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2016, 07:25:20 AM »
My computer came with 8.1 on it.  Total garbage.  When 10 was  offered via  a free download, I jumped on it.  It would not work.  I took it to my PC shop and Jon installed Win 10 from a CD.  Works great now.  Much better than 8.  I like the way it handles memory.

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »

Dusty

Hmmm do I want the blue pill or the red pill?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here