Author Topic: torque wrench review  (Read 9281 times)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: torque wrench review
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 08:43:39 PM »
Okay, another dumb question.  How does using an extension on a torque wrench effect torque values?

Or does it?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »
It's difficult to hold the extension straight up from the fastener so it will add a moment arm to the torque wrench will render errors in the final figure.

Also, at high torque values the extension can twist, affecting the torque value. And both can happen.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 01:58:25 AM »
Okay, another dumb question.  How does using an extension on a torque wrench effect torque values?

Or does it?
An extension, (from the socket attach point on the wrench to the fastener point) does change the wrench setting. Its dependent on the distance from the wrench socket attach point and the fastener point of the extension and also the angle at which the extension is in relation to the center line of the wrench. Its a basic formula which you will be able to find on line. Never bothered to commit to memory.
If you mean a straight ratchet extension, no impact on wrench setting.
Try http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/calculator/torque_adapter_extension.htm
Ciao     
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:00:28 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 05:39:59 AM »
Sorry if I missed something Chuck, but why didn't Matco give you a new one?  Warranty should mean something....

Mark

Matco Man (Steve) *gave* me that wrench 30 or so years ago. It was in my original post. I'd have felt a little funny asking him to warrant it..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 05:39:59 AM »

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
well then that makes sense....

Glad you got good service out of it then and it more than lived its life I'm sure.

Mark

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
Chuck,
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I passed my old bean wrench on to my Son when I got my fancy click wrench.
FYI, When I retired from the R&D lab & no longer had access to precision balances for checking piston/rod weights etc.   I bought a Harbor Freight "compact scale". I had a friend back at the lab make me up a plastic bottle w/lead shot to an exact weight, to calibrate my new scale. Bummer report, the thing would not consistently repeat readings to near the accuracy I wanted. I hope HF is using better Chinese electronics in their electronic torque wrench.
ronkom   
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 09:56:29 AM »
It's difficult to hold the extension straight up from the fastener so it will add a moment arm to the torque wrench will render errors in the final figure.

Also, at high torque values the extension can twist, affecting the torque value. And both can happen.
From the original post

Chuck said " plus having a swivel head"

I wondered how that effects the torque setting?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:57:18 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
From the original post

Chuck said " plus having a swivel head"

I wondered how that effects the torque setting?

Ok, let's do the math. Say the effective length of the torque wrench is 14", and the head is swiveled 10 degrees. Let's pick a number, say 20 ft. lbs. Doing the trig, the effective perpendicular length is now 14" -.2127" .  .2127/14 = .015, so you'd have to add .015% to the 20 ft lb reading, which would be 20.3
At least that seems right to me. For all practical purposes, I never used to worry about it. The important thing with torque is to make all the fasteners the same. You would be surprised at how well an experienced mechanic can do that.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
There is a fellow I know who took his torque wrench to work and chucked the half inch drive in a vice then started cranking. His foreman asked what he was doing and he answered, "Calibrating my torque wrench." which was his arm.  :thumb:
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here