Author Topic: Butchered Screw - Advice Needed  (Read 5439 times)

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
Butchered Screw - Advice Needed
« on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:18 AM »
Hi folks, my used 2008 Scrambler came with an uninstalled Renthal bar, now I know why it's not installed. Looks like the PO butchered the Phillips head screw that secures the throttle assembly housing to the stock bar - easy to do I suppose, it's a soft crappy Phillips head, very easy to butcher. I believe it's an M5x22. I took a dremel to it to cut a slot for a flathead screw driver, but no luck, it's not budging and the new slot is also not holding up to the torque (lousy pot metal!!!).
What's the proper next course of action? One of those screw extractor kits? The screw itself is pretty small, I'm not sure I can drill a hole in it big enough for an extractor to "bite" adequately, that screw is in there very tight.
Thoughts that might help the clueless?
Thanks in advance.  :boozing:

ponti_33609

Re: Butchered Screw - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:02:36 AM »
I have had luck with one of the tools that is a screw drive-type tool that is heavy metal 

(http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impact-driver/p-00947641000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3Le4BRDxx5bk4aDn9t4BEiQAfmxQGciG6L1D9Ssdbb4RJjqukcywMgM72je_1DpZjIDJIN0aAsyf8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds). 

You strike it with a hammer and turns counter clockwise as you strike it.  I have had great success on old jap bikes with similar issues.  Where you cut a slot I am thinking this might work.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:10:53 AM »
http://www.richtoolsystems.com/10-Piece-Multi-Spline-Screw-Extractor-Set_p_526.html?source=cashback

I would try an extractor like this. It may pop the head off but that would be ok. You may need to drill the head off anyway. If you can get the assembly off you can work on it on the bench or take it to your friendly machine shop. Some judicious heat on the housing around the screw will help. You might consider buying a new assembly anyway, or at least find one so you are ready in case......
If you try an impact like Ponti suggests, have someone hold a backup on the assembly with a hammer head or handle and that could work
Where are you located? I have all the stuff you need here
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:19:02 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:18:18 AM »
I'd just drill the head off and be done with it. If you couldn't get it to budge with a screwdriver in the slot, I'll bet an eze out won't get it, either. Once you drill the head off and get it apart, you can get some vise grips on the screw.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:18:18 AM »

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 07:28:33 AM »
John, I'm in CT, but thanks for the offer. I don't understand how removing the screw head will help me - this is a threaded "clamshell" assembly, so I need to back it out of the rear piece (if that makes and sense at all) to get the clamshell apart. Somehow I have to back this sucker out or (I would think) cut the whole damned thing off. If that's the case, I'm gonna use the stock bar until I sell the bike, not worth the hassle and expense. Thanks

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:31:04 AM »
There must be something I don't understand of your explanation. How about a picture?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
http://www.toolstoday.com/images/Product/medium/6071.jpg   Once you drill the head off the screw may release and spin right out.  If not use a smaller drill and go right thru.  Run a tap to clear the threads and use a new bolt.  Mike

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:43:50 AM »
Chuck and I are picturing the screw heads holding the clamshell together
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:56:32 AM »
I'd just drill the head off and be done with it. If you couldn't get it to budge with a screwdriver in the slot, I'll bet an eze out won't get it, either. Once you drill the head off and get it apart, you can get some vise grips on the screw.

+1
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 08:23:49 AM »
John, I'm in CT, but thanks for the offer. I don't understand how removing the screw head will help me - this is a threaded "clamshell" assembly, so I need to back it out of the rear piece (if that makes and sense at all) to get the clamshell apart. Somehow I have to back this sucker out or (I would think) cut the whole damned thing off. If that's the case, I'm gonna use the stock bar until I sell the bike, not worth the hassle and expense. Thanks

If you drill the head off the case should simply slide over the remains of the screw .

Dusty

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »
And make that a left-handed bit if you can find one.

Rich A

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 10:14:51 AM »
And make that a left-handed bit if you can find one.

Rich A

I have had good luck using left hand (cut counter clockwise) bits. Butchered screws come out much easier than expected.
http://www.harborfreight.com/left-hand-drill-bit-set-13-pc-61686.html
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
As most have suggested, drill the head off. Also, I was hoping you'd have a chance to try this trick I saw the other day. I haven't tried it myself, so not sure if it actually works for non-wood type screws (it should)

The rubberband trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q61IrNfRstI

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »
As most have suggested, drill the head off. Also, I was hoping you'd have a chance to try this trick I saw the other day. I haven't tried it myself, so not sure if it actually works for non-wood type screws (it should)

The rubberband trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q61IrNfRstI

I have a dollar that sez that won't work on a frozen machine screw.. :smiley: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
BEFORE YOU MUCK IT UP ANY FURTHER OR REMOVE ANY MORE METAL:

It may not work but it absolutely won't hurt.

Works over 85% of the time for me.

Drop on some Kroil or other quality penetrant or make your own acetone/ATF mix... WALK AWAY FOR A DAY!

Return with the very best contacting screwdriver you have be it flat-tip or cross-tip. You want as much contact towards the center axis of the screw as possible in trying to shift the threads.

Give the screwdriver a couple-three hefty taps and the barest of attempts to unscrew it - don't commit to it and mar the screw more.

If it does not come out, add some more penetrant and tap it a bit though not hard.... WALK AWAY!

Try one more time the next day - if it does not loosen, it's a whole other scenario.

In the midst of the above, heating with; Soldering iron, heat gun or hair dryer may increse the performance of your penetrant.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »
I learned this recently, and didn't believe it until I tried it and it worked like a charm. by all means try kroil first, but then...

put a dab of valve grinding compound on the tip of the screw driver. will absolutely make the tip grab the head of the fastener...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
I learned this recently, and didn't believe it until I tried it and it worked like a charm. by all means try kroil first, but then...

put a dab of valve grinding compound on the tip of the screw driver. will absolutely make the tip grab the head of the fastener...

That's a *really* old one, there..  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »
See? THIS is why I ask you guys.... best... forum...EVER.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 04:20:25 PM »
My friend Rick, that builds Japanese drag-bike engines, swears that these screwdrivers are the best ever and will remove stuck screws that others won't. Haven't tried them myself.

http://www.toolpan.com/Vessel-Tools-A-16510--8-pc-Megadora-Cushion-Grip-Screwdrivers-Set-With-Impact-Tool_p_1683.html?gdftrk=gdfV27228_a_7c824_a_7c2023_a_7cVESA_d_16510

Charlie

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 04:44:25 PM »
JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) bits work great on asian phillips style screws. I repair my own fishing reels and never could find a standard phillips that fit right. Heard about JIS and bought the miniature set, best $15 I've spent. They also can be used on standard phillips screws.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 12:36:37 AM »
A good way to get a Phillips head bit to grip a screw is to use a little course valve grinding paste on the tip. I must have pulled a million 10/32 Phillips head screw out of heavy jet panels over 40 years and this worked about 50% of the time.
Ciao 
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »
There are three standards (maybe four) standards for Phillips type screws.
1: Genuine Phillips. Has no markings at all.

2: A single recessed dot on the screwhead. This is the mark of the JIS or Japanese Industry Standard.

3: Two or four recessed lines ,at 90 deegrees intervals, emanating from the "Phillips" recess. These are Supadrive (two lines) and Posidrive (four lines).

The JIS screws are mainly used in Japan. (No Kidding)

The Posidrive screwhead screws are very common on European equipment. I cannot discerne any difference between Supadrive and Posidrive apart from the screwhead marking.

Cheers   :grin:

Brian
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 06:13:25 AM »
Reed and Prince is another . Chris I'm impressed with the volume of advice you got!
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 06:28:46 AM »
There are also impact drivers
http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

Way back when I were a sailboat rigger, I had to (try) to remove stainless screws that were seized in corroded aluminum. Not easy. The impact driver slams in a shock load while camming the head to the left. It can be the best way to get the fastener broken free. As you can imagine, there are some catches. The impact bits on cheapo import units like this tend to be very brittle and shatter. I don't know where to get decent ones.  I would also second the idea of heating the area up several times. The expansion and contraction can loosen things just barely. I'd recommend using a microtorch so you can concentrate the heat.

The comments about making sure the driver fits the head are critical. My experience is that if I'm lazy and don't pay attention to this- especially with phillips fasteners, it's easy for the driver to cam out and round the shoulders of the head. The best way to apply controlled torque would be to carefully fit the driver (using grinding paste), then fit a wrench to the driver shaft (you'll need square shank drivers). The wrench obviously multiplies your torque immensely.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here