Author Topic: Today! SpaceX Falcon 9 Iridium-1 First Stage Landing  (Read 2241 times)

Penderic

oldbike54

Re: Today! SpaceX Falcon 9 Iridium-1 First Stage Landing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »
 All of that silly Science Fiction stuff from the 1950's , rockets carrying passengers and freight to the moon and beyond is coming into its infancy .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
All of that silly Science Fiction stuff from the 1950's , rockets carrying passengers and freight to the moon and beyond is coming into its infancy .

Dusty

I don't know.   Recovering a rocket stage that launched a comm satellite without it exploding in a ball of fire, and getting a big cheer.

A hard job well done, but I'm not sure I'd use "infancy" comparing that to a passenger service to the moon.   I wouldn't even use "embryonic".

More of a "gleam in the milkman's eye" moment.   A long way from "2001 - A Space Odyssey" flight attendant in uniform .....

Lannis
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:12:30 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »
That is AMAZING !!!  Consider this feat.  The ship the space craft landed on is bobbing up/down in the ocean on top of the craft having to deal with returning from space and landing on the bullseye of the landing platform all remotely controlled?  :shocked:   :thumb:  :bow:  It takes a lot of smarts to accomplish this feat.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
I don't know.   Recovering a rocket stage that launched a comm satellite without it exploding in a ball of fire, and getting a big cheer.

A hard job well done, but I'm not sure I'd use "infancy" comparing that to a passenger service to the moon.   I wouldn't even use "embryonic".

More of a "gleam in the milkman's eye" moment.   A long way from "2001 - A Space Odyssey" flight attendant in uniform .....

Lannis

NASA has yet to land a booster. I'd say this outfit will likely be ready for Mars before NASA

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »
NASA has yet to land a booster. I'd say this outfit will likely be ready for Mars before NASA

I don't know or care about what NASA is doing.   I'm not into "competition" between the government and private sector, although I'm sure it's healthy.

I'm not saying that it's not an impressive technical feat.   I'm "just sayin'" (using the common meaning of "just sayin'") that this is a LONG way from passenger service to the moon.

We're always "Almost there" or "On the way" on controlled fusion, or personal jetpacks, or 1-hour underground trips between USA and Europe, or Elio 3-wheelers for $6,800.   And we never seem to really be.

Lannis

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »
Fortunately it seems it can disseminate between it's landing pad and a fuel barge. Pretty impressive.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 04:24:49 PM »
Overalls it appears things are progressing quite well. What has always been the problem with aircraft and spacecraft especially is that it costs a hell of a lot more in time and money to go from 90% reliable to 99.9+% for carrying human life. They will get there though I bet.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
I'd love to go..

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
 I'll bet we are closer to the Wright Brothers than to Galileo .

Dusty

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
 :popcorn:

Photoshopped...

:popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »

Dusty

A Trip to the Moon / Le Voyage dans la lune - Full Movie (1902)
If you have Netflix they have a 12 minute talkie version that is a hoot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrHPyQGQ7vo&html5=1

Red 90 Mille GT

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
I see they plan to put 70 Satellites (just for starters) in orbit with that thing. planted 10 of them today.. eventually they will be able to track every aircraft flying around earth.. so no more wonder where that plane went down in the Pacific or anywhere else.. probably can track a lot more than that but they don't say..
and fast Internet access to the entire world .

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »

and fast Internet access to the entire world .

I get my "fast Internet access" from a satellite NOW and it ain't no bargain.   People who are used to cable and DSL think they've gone back to medieval times when they hook up to my router.

8 mB per second download speed is OK, but you only get 10 GB of data a month for $65, then it slows down to nothing.

And when a thunderstorm gets between your dish and the satellite, no Internet access till it's gone ...

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here