Author Topic: The problem with single throttle body V7's  (Read 31335 times)

beetle

Re: The problem with single throttle body V7's
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2017, 05:07:09 AM »
 Isn't the Special a II? I was actually thinking I might ask if you wanted to lend me the Special for the 'cause'.   :grin:

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
Specials have been out since 2012, no mater 2TB or single. Whatever they were making then. I don't keep track.I thought the 1st ones were dual TB's.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »
I tested your first iteration of this on my 2014 V7 Special. It's not a V7 II. (And I'm still happy)

If you want to send me some nice Mistrals or the like, I'd be happy to test the no-cat version too  :evil:
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »
Isn't the Special a II? I was actually thinking I might ask if you wanted to lend me the Special for the 'cause'.   :grin:

No, it's a 2014 1TB. One of the first things Pete said to me when I called in on the way back from collecting it in Tassie was that I was going to be sorry it didn't have the six speed box (the II's were just out & he'd ridden one & was impressed). 80,000 km later, I'm yet to feel any regret. It has the Mistrals on it at the moment, but I've sent to Tassie for the standard rear hangers to fit the Agostinis. I shall try once more to fit the Staintunes to the Agostini headers on the V7C; they didn't fit when first mounted, but they do fit when on the bench, so I'll try again. The chrome Staintunes look prettier than the black Agostinis, although with the stainless headers at least, they seem to work better - absolutely no popping on decel. The Staintunes on the V7C's stock headers had an occasional pop. Is it the headers, or it is the muffler? I've a set of Ago headers for the Special too, awaiting fitment (& further corrosion of the original double-walled affair.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »

beetle

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Bugger. I'd like to get my hands on a II (6 speed) now that Clancy has gone big block. Thanks anyway, Mal.
Unless the headers are significantly different in length or diameter, it'll be the mufflers causing the pop.

The no-cat dBk-in map is done. The factory exhaust map is done. I've pulled the dB killers on the Agostini's on the Racer. I'll soon be terrifying the neighbors with that raucous din. Once that map is done, I'll be finished with the V7-I.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2017, 06:58:40 PM »
I have a 2013 V7 Stone that is using one of your earlier maps V7-1TB-NoCat-C6C0.2016.09.27.bin .  I am running a Guzzitech 2:2 stainless steel exhaust and wouldn't mind trying the new map.  I have been happy with the current map but after a recent trip to Mexico I've been getting engine check lights and my idle has been running up to 2-3k for a time.  Happened again on a ride just this week.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2017, 06:59:41 PM »
Very well done, Mark.

The Ago headers are the same length, but they are fatter & single walled. I tried the Agostini mufflers without the dB killers on the V7C when I first mounted the new headers. A very deep bass rumble, but after some 300k it started popping on decel & the rumble wasn't comfortable, so the killers went back in. Now no popping at all. I'll see what happens with the Staintunes, if I can get them to fit.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

beetle

« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
I have a 2013 V7 Stone that is using one of your earlier maps V7-1TB-NoCat-C6C0.2016.09.27.bin .  I am running a Guzzitech 2:2 stainless steel exhaust and wouldn't mind trying the new map.  I have been happy with the current map but after a recent trip to Mexico I've been getting engine check lights and my idle has been running up to 2-3k for a time.  Happened again on a ride just this week.

Rick, I'll be sending the new map to everyone who has an earlier map soonest. I'll send you a download link now.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »

Rick, I'll be sending the new map to everyone who has an earlier map soonest. I'll send you a download link now.

Thanks Mark!

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »
So after getting new Lonelec cables/adapters I've been able to install beetle's new map on my V7.  I have a 2013 V7 Stone (single throttle body) with a guzzitech full stainless steel exhaust (no cat, no lambda's) and about 21,000 miles on it so far.  I have used 3 maps on this bike in the past, the original factory map from 2013, a guzzitech reflash map circa 2014 and a beetle map from 2016 (most current map in use).

I loaded the map up (also reset the throttle self learning and ECU auto-learning parameters (If I have no lamba's does this do anything?)  and decided to see if I could start the bike from cold and ride away.  The bike started right up and away I went with no hesitation but I had two stop signs to negotiate in the first minute of riding and at both the bike seemed to hesitate just a touch.  By the third intersection this was no longer an issue and I went on a 40 mile ride to get a sense of how the bike was reacting to the new map.  I like the new map and didn't find any hesitation or flat spots at any point or any rev's.  40 miles isn't enough to see how fuel economy will be but I filled the tank at the start of the ride and will run it down with some backroad and highway miles to get a sense of how it is doing compared to the previous maps.  For reference I'll use the low fuel light as a rough gauge of performance as I can't remember my fuel usage on my first two maps (factory and guzzitech) but I do remember seeing the low light come on at around 160 miles for the factory map and 140 miles for the guzzitech map.  I got 171 miles out of my last tank on beetles previous map and filled the bike with 3.8 gallons so 45 mpg U.S.

One last thing and I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention but when the new map was loaded in my throttle value was 0.0 before I reset it to 1.0.  I wish I had noted  it when the older map was still installed but my memory is telling me it was also at 0.0 and I don't know how that would have affected the bike.

beetle

« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
I might have to tweak it slightly for the GT pipes.

:thumb:

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
I might have to tweak it slightly for the GT pipes.

:thumb:

I'll try the same test again tomorrow and report back.

beetle

« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »
Gentle beings, the map for the V7 with exhausts without cat and no dB killer is finished. I need a volunteer to test. Not for V7-II or V7C. Mistrals or Agostini's et al. Must have GuzziDiag and cables, of course.

pete roper

« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2017, 01:41:06 AM »
Gentle beings, the map for the V7 with exhausts without cat and no dB killer is finished. I need a volunteer to test. Not for V7-II or V7C. Mistrals or Agostini's et al. Must have GuzziDiag and cables, of course.

How many litres per KM or gallons per mile did it end up using? :D

beetle

« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2017, 01:53:25 AM »
Not as bad as the big block noisy map, but owners should invest in the 21 Litre tank if they haven't already....    :evil:

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »
I'm late reporting back but I have run a tank of fuel though my V7 using the map beetle supplied me.  After the first ride the bike would still ride away as soon as I started it up but would not take any throttle input once I stopped within the first minute without stalling.  I repeated this 4 times but honestly I don't mind waiting one whole minute to start my ride, gives me time to preen in the mirrors or something.  Other than the stalling when at low engine temp (I'm assuming this is the cause) the map worked brilliantly and I really like it.  I had minimal popping on decel and that was when riding on a tight twisty road in the heat that required lots of throttle on/off and the popping was only once or twice, not a problem at all.  As for gas mileage the low fuel light came on at 159.6 miles, I filled up at 186 miles using 4.276 US gallons of 89 rated 10% ethanol gas for 43.5 mpg.  I feel I could get better mileage but this tank was used on all types of riding with a bit of dirt road mixed in as well.  Happy with the map.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:32:26 PM by Zinfan »

Offline NorthfieldV11Sport

• New Egg
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »
I am really excited that this map has been developed!!  My wife has a 2013 V7 Stone with the Mistral pipes (DB killers removed). It backfires horribly when decelerating and I have been waiting for a fuel map to be developed that cures this.  I have the cables and software to install the map, but I will not be able to test it out for a couple weeks. I was attacked by a vicious herd of deer a few weeks ago while riding my Ducati and I fractured bones in my right leg and right hand.  As soon as I have enough strength to operate the front brake, I'll give it a go...

Mark, thanks for persevering and making these awesome maps available!!

Bruce Stewart
Northfield, MN

beetle

« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
@Rick: I'll tweak the map for you. The GT pipe must require a slightly different approach.

@Bruce: I'll PM you a download link for the map.

Offline GUZZI HEAD

• New Egg
  • Riding for 49 years, retired
Booster Plug GRISO& Calif 1400
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »
Seen many negative comments for the Booster Plug.  I have these plug and play devices on three bikes.  2009 GRISO and 2014 1400 California.  California after riding for 15 minutes pull up to a stop and it will ideal and then quit or quit when letting off the throttle before completely stopping.  Booster Plug completely removed this stalling glitch.  GRISO simply starts better idles better.  I'm in Wisconsin have Booster Plug on an BMW oil-head too.  Have had several Power Commanders and a Juice Box no longer interest in tweeking for improved performance just better engine mannerisms.

I would if I could but I can't so I won't!

1972 BMW R75/5
1974 MG ELDORADO 850
1982 BMW R100RS - SOLD
1982 Yamaha Virago - SOLD
2001 BMW R1100R - SOLD
2008 MG Sport 1200 - SOLD
2009 MG GRISO -SOLD
2014 MG CALIFORNIA Touring

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2019, 03:18:13 AM »
I thought I could feel a bit of non linear response to throttle openings on my test ride on the V85 but thought it was just ride by wire funniness.
It was as cold as a mother in law’s kiss though.
Fine when warm.
Musta’ been it..

beetle

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2019, 04:16:42 AM »
I thought I could feel a bit of non linear response to throttle openings on my test ride on the V85 but thought it was just ride by wire funniness.
It was as cold as a mother in law’s kiss though.
Fine when warm.
Musta’ been it..

You been smoking the special cigarettes? The v85 runs the 7SM and ride-by-wire. The V7 does not have these fancy doodads. Or are you haing a senior's moment, and have posted in the wrong thread?  :grin:

Offline Das

• New Egg
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
Hi Beetle.   I know I’m kinda late to the party but by what process does one go about obtaining one of your fabled maps?.  I have a 2013 V7 Stone, the first of the single throttle bodies.  I have fitted Agostini mufflers with reduced baffles installed which to my ear hit about the right note.  On the advice of my dealer who lives and breathes Guzzis I consented to him fitting some kind of electronic gizmo called an oxygen optimiser.  The intention I believe was to address the hesitant/stalling tendency of the cold engine.  I know such trickery is anathema to many and in particular to the revered luminary P Roper.  Nonetheless my experience has been that there has been improvement in the cold motor behaviour without entirely curing it.  There is no popping on deceleration, no flat spots and once warm the beast goes like a scalded cat. - well at least it sounds like it’s going like a scalded cat!.  So it’s been a bit like leaving well enough alone and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

And yet.  It appears from all the reports of happy customers that there is a higher state available and that your good self is the one to supply it.  Would you be kind enough to enlighten me further?

My regards.   Das.

beetle

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »

You been smoking the special cigarettes? The v85 runs the 7SM and ride-by-wire. The V7 does not have these fancy doodads. Or are you haing a senior's moment, and have posted in the wrong thread?  :grin:
Maybe almost all of the above Beetle.
However, the V85 did exhibit a bit of surging in the first couple of minutes.
Only two things I’ve never had in my mouth and one of those would be a cigarette.
I would not know a 7SM from a BUIG 22, but I sure as hell know someone who does. I wouldn’t have been able to tell you what sort of throttle system’s on a V7 ‘cos I’ll never ride one in all likelihood.
Always gunna’ be fraught with danger posting anything on a thread about this topic because of my total lack of knowlege.
It did surge though....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:18:02 AM by Huzo »

Offline Das

• New Egg
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
Thank you Beetle.  I have ordered requisite cables.   Slight issue with choice of relevant map.  V7 with aftermarket mufflers; however, baffles are in place but cut down to around half original length.  I also have an after market air filter installed which provides decreased resistance to the flow of air.  Any thoughts on which particular map would be most appropriate to this configuration?

Thanks.  Das.

beetle

« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2019, 06:03:39 PM »
V7 with aftermarket mufflers; however, baffles are in place but cut down to around half original length.  I also have an after market air filter installed which provides decreased resistance to the flow of air.  Any thoughts on which particular map would be most appropriate to this configuration?

Get the "with dB killer" map. I can tweak it for you if necessary. I strongly recommend discarding the aftermarket air filter and reinstall the stock unit. They flow more than adequately for the V7.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here