Author Topic: what do you do on Super Bowl Sunday?  (Read 7748 times)

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
what do you do on Super Bowl Sunday?
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:57:12 AM »
I used to either go fishing or go for a mc ride. It was always possible in Phoenix. Later, I would watch the game.

In 2012, SBS was also a going away party for me with my family as I was leaving for Germany a week later. It was the last time I saw both of my parents together.

The game shows here starting at 10:00pm. I'll watch it but I'll sure be tired at work on Monday 😊
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: what do you do on Super Bowl Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:13 AM »
I don't bowl, so I'm not sure when it is.

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:22:21 AM »
What's a Super Bowl?  Is that like a bottomless bowl of steel cut oats at the local diner?

Steve.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:24:11 AM by stevet »
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
Perfect time for a nap.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:51:39 AM »
One of the few times I go to see a movie. Don't have to fight any crowds anywhere. Otherwise watch something on TV that actually interests me. Sorry, as you might tell I am not a sports person.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
Will most likely make it to half time unless the game is really good.  I get up at 4 AM on Mondays to get ready for work. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »
Thirty years ago, we used to get together to watch the Super Bowl on what passed for someone's Big Screen TV; we'd fix snacks, visit, maybe watch the game.

Then several things gradually happened:

1) The game got slower and slower as the referees pondered every play on "review".

2) The focus changed from "The Game" to the halftime show and commercials, which the group I was watching with started to talk about and drool over, and which are just bottomlessly stupid to me.

3) I generally lost interest in "professional" sports.

Today, even under torture, I couldn't tell you who's playing in the Super Bowl or when it is, because I just don't read things that might indicate that, and have no TV pickup.   It's a happier place for me.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

twowings

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Puppy bowl!

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »
I ceased interest in football, and sports in general, over 20 years ago, and was surprised to discover that weekends are 2 days long.  Pro sports, what a waste of my time.  It has NOTHING to do with sportsmanship anymore, only money.  Millionaire athletes, and billionaire owners, broadcasting networks, and advertisers, working hard to separate me from my hard earned cash.  Screw that, I ride my motorcycle on weekends.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »
Who is playing? I don't even know that!

I will probably go to church, eat, and take a nap...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »
Quote / Title:  "What Do You Do on Super Bowl Sunday?"

Errr...watch the Super Bowl?  :wink: :grin: :laugh: :rolleyes: :shocked: :thumb: :cool:

We gave up watching commercial TV last April...so we will have to go somewhere to watch it... :huh: :shocked: :wink:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:58:38 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Shoot some skeet. Then fall asleep during the super bowl while watching something else

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
This year we'll record it and see it on Wednesday night, fast-forwarding thru the game delays. On Sunday evening we'll be ripping up carpet in the Paonia house preparatory to sanding the hardwood floors.

The old carpet will go to the barn and face a future of dripped oil and paint overspray.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
I understand the cynicism towards pro sports, and the spectacle of the Superbowl is the epitome of that.

But I will say this. This Sundays game includes a very rare event. The opportunity to see a certain first ballot Hall of Famer, playing for a record no one ever thought possible, and unlike last years Superbowl, this player isn't hobbling through hoping to contribute, he's playing the best he ever has.

I know there is skepticism of him, justifying his success etc, but to a man, even other Hall of Famers, simply shake their heads and marvel at his ability and state unequivocally that he's the hardest working player they've ever seen, from Sunday to Sunday. Preparing. Leading.

Could prove to be one of those sports moments of a lifetime that transcends the game. Or not. May be a chance worth taking. I'll be watching.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:26:40 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »
Usually watch the game especially when the Patriots are in the running.  Not much of a football fan but I get caught up in the hype.

This year I will be finishing the Maple syrup evaporator stove that I am building for Sue Ellen.

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
Walk in the woods and make a fire.

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
I'll be watching the tape I made of Saturdays Supercross
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
This year I will be finishing the Maple syrup evaporator stove that I am building for Sue Ellen.

Wow, that's super cool. I didn't know you could run a stove on maple syrup.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:50 AM »
Not going to watch it  since I don't follow any type of sports
TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »
Next season's stupidbowl will be here in Mpls. at our new billion dollar, tax payer (and fan) funded Humptydome replacement.  (Don't get me started on how team owners rigged that system for themselves.)  Since that stadium was under construction and the SB was announced, Mpls. has decided that their sh*tty downtown streets and infrastructure are an embarrassment and have to be rehabbed before the game.  They haven't put squat into infrastructure in decades, just drive around the rest of the city to see for yourself.  Now they spend all this money on downtown for out of towners and tv networks to be here for a week.

If I could I'd leave this area and all the big city and pro sports shinanigans that go along with it.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR

-George Eastman.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
When we lived just outside of DC, my wife and I would go out to dinner at a restaurant that was usually crowded, and that didn't have any TVs.  It was great to be able to walk in, get a good table and attentive service on a weekend evening.

Now that we live out in the middle of nowhere, the nearby town doesn't have a restaurant without TVs, as far as I know, so Super Bowl Sunday is just a day like any other.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
 I'll watch something important like rediculousness until it's over.  Then I will be able to find the Super Bowl commercials on the internet without them being interrupted by a bunch of millionaires chasing a silly ball that isn't even round.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
Interesting group we have here.  Almost all of us (me included), have no interest in the Super Bowl.  Millions (probably hundreds of millions world wide) will watch it, so we may well be exceptions - imagine that!

Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
Next season's stupidbowl will be here in Mpls. at our new billion dollar, tax payer (and fan) funded Humptydome replacement.  (Don't get me started on how team owners rigged that system for themselves.)  Since that stadium was under construction and the SB was announced, Mpls. has decided that their sh*tty downtown streets and infrastructure are an embarrassment and have to be rehabbed before the game.  They haven't put squat into infrastructure in decades, just drive around the rest of the city to see for yourself.  Now they spend all this money on downtown for out of towners and tv networks to be here for a week.

If I could I'd leave this area and all the big city and pro sports shinanigans that go along with it.

Steve.

Sounds rough!

You should ask yourself ... "What would Mr. Happy Puppet Do?"    :bow:   :thumb:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

britman

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »
Going to head down to a spot on the Potomac River and hunt sharks teeth with the Grand-Daughter.  I have absolutely no interest in this game and even less in the halftime entertainment...... ... 

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
What is this bowl, and what makes it super?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 02:32:52 PM »
yes, I'll watch.  I haven't missed one yet, although I've turned many off before the game was over.

I'd tell you which team I was rooting for but we were all warned about politics here.   :evil:

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
The opportunity to see a certain first ballot Hall of Famer, playing for a record no one ever thought possible, and unlike last years Superbowl, this player isn't hobbling through hoping to contribute, he's playing the best he ever has.

There's a good reason to tune in..... if I remember!   :thumb:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
The Stupid Brawl-We used to play the neighborhood kids in a football game before it started and by the time it was on we were tired and trashed- didn't pay attention to the game itself.  Now, I'll work on bikes and see if we can go out somewhere for dinner-w/o TV's.
 Anything but football.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »

Steve.

That's a valid view. Let me put it to you in a different way.

If you had a multibillion dollar business, employing thousands of people and generating 13 billion annually, and made, lets say....cars. And you could buy a machine that would increase revenue and insure that your company would be number one in its market for the operational life of the machine, say 15 years, what would that machine cost?  answer: tens of millions That ratio would be RIDICULOUSLY favorable for any business, ensuring thousands of jobs and food and shelter for thousands of people for a decade and a half....no community would shun that opportunity.

The players are the machines. short life span. disproportionate ROI. As a business model - taking away the names and the 10 pound gold chains... it's not about them. The cities do this because is reaps outrageous revenue benefits. Now, if you want to blame someone for the limited "ripple" effect, I won't stop you. In Jacksonville, they have an owner who is pouring money back into the city, and they absolutely worship the guy.  Reinsdorf in Chicago is another who maintains a pretty positive civic reputation. What are the Packers worth to Wisconsin's economy? I think it's a little more complex than we give it credit for.

The Sports franchises CAN have tremendous positive impact while being profitable and employing thousands. 
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here