Author Topic: First ride on a Classic Norton  (Read 12738 times)

Rough Edge racing

Re: First ride on a Classic Norton
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
Well, if you consider it ... it IS hinged in the middle!  The frame and front end are one piece, and the engine and swingarm are attached to them via the rubber hinges.    But unlike the H1 Kawasakis to which that description is usually applied, it's designed to be hinged in the middle, and the hinge is supposed to be constrained to move in a way that doesn't detract from the bike's handling.

As you say, if the Isolastics are in good shape and adjusted, the handling should be as good as any BSA or Triumph, which is VERY good ....

Lannis

I remember the Norton Commando felt more planted than a Triumph at high speeds...But the Triumph felt more mechanical in a primal way...an intense mechanical internal combustion experience........G uzzi and Ducati are like the Triumph only more refined and subdued vibration...The Norton feel was kinda like the 97 Buell I recently sold....

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
It is a fiberglass tank and it appears to be lined. There is some gas around the petcocks. I need to figure out if that is from the tank or from the petcocks. Are there any sources for new tanks?

It probably is going to be repainted anyway you look at it. It will be fun to run around on a pink bike for a while, but I don't see that as my long term color

I assume you already know the dangers of ethanol and fiberglass.

I'll guess that's why it's lined but does that eliminate all the dangers?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:35:29 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
 A friend who was a Norton guru would tell potential owners , "make sure to purchase the official Norton repair kit" . and when asked what that was his, reply , " a trailer with a tool box full of cash attached" .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
A friend who was a Norton guru would tell potential owners , "make sure to purchase the official Norton repair kit" . and when asked what that was his, reply , " a trailer with a tool box full of cash attached" .

Dusty

Yep.   He's keeping the legend going; I know how it is.  Think about it; what a Bull Goose Motorcycle Hero the "Norton Guru" must be if he can ride a Norton and still keep that POS going WITHOUT a tool box full of cash!  I might start doing the same thing, come to think of it.   

Like folks that talk about how hard to start old Brits are.   With the exception of the Velocettes and the BSA B50, both of which have really bad kickstart gearing which doesn't even give you a full four-stroke cycle on each kick, Brits are as easy to start as any bike that has good compression, a working carburetor, and a properly timed spark.   One or two kicks every time.   If it doesn't, it's not just because "They All Do That, Sir", it's because something's broken and needs fixing, and most people don't want to hear that ... they just kick and kick and cuss and tell stories .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
Yep.   He's keeping the legend going; I know how it is.  Think about it; what a Bull Goose Motorcycle Hero the "Norton Guru" must be if he can ride a Norton and still keep that POS going WITHOUT a tool box full of cash!  I might start doing the same thing, come to think of it.   

Like folks that talk about how hard to start old Brits are.   With the exception of the Velocettes and the BSA B50, both of which have really bad kickstart gearing which doesn't even give you a full four-stroke cycle on each kick, Brits are as easy to start as any bike that has good compression, a working carburetor, and a properly timed spark.   One or two kicks every time.   If it doesn't, it's not just because "They All Do That, Sir", it's because something's broken and needs fixing, and most people don't want to hear that ... they just kick and kick and cuss and tell stories .... !

Lannis

Actually Lannis , this was in the early 1980's , and my friend built several Nortons for other folks that were better than new and ran reliably for years . BUT , this was after new Superblend main bearings , lower compression pistons , Sportster valve guides machined to fit , and often times a conversion to a single Mikuni .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
Actually Lannis , this was in the early 1980's , and my friend built several Nortons for other folks that were better than new and ran reliably for years . BUT , this was after new Superblend main bearings , lower compression pistons , Sportster valve guides machined to fit , and often times a conversion to a single Mikuni .

Dusty

If the bike was already trashed, and he was rebuilding it with the latest "stuff", then there's nothing wrong with a guy who builds Nortons for other folks for a living telling them to bring a container full of cash.

But the later model bikes already have the right bearings, the standard valve guides work fine, the Amals work fine (although I'm in the middle of cleaning my fuel tank after the previous "liner" job came apart), and only a "Combat" engine would benefit from lower compression ....

You just hear so much stuff.   I'll ride my BSA to a gathering 120 miles away on the highways.   It has the stock chain oiler tube from the top of the inner primary to the chain.   At the end of a long hot ride, I'll park it up, and the last drops from the tube will form a half-dollar sized oil spot on the pavement.

"HAW!" says some guy who rode there in his car.  "YAWL COME OVER HERE AN' LOOK AT THIS!   SEE, I TOL' YA ALL THESE OLD TRIUMPHS LEAK OIL ALL THE TIME!   CAIN'T RIDE 'EM NOWHERE ...."

And on it goes ...

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
 Oh I know , remember , I rode those old Limeys for years , all over the country . Once , only about 200 miles from home a couple of HD riders seemed amazed that we had ridden our TR6R that far , they just knew we had come in on a trailer . The wife set them straight on that , and then asked the two , "So just how far did you ride in from?" Seems they had made an epic journey of 15 miles  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Like folks that talk about how hard to start old Brits are.   With the exception of the Velocettes

Lannis
My Velocette started first or second kick every time, even if it had been left for a couple of months, unless there were other Velocette enthusiasts around. It was a peculiarity of the marque. They'd get embarrassed if they thought anyone was watching.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »

I've ridden early Honda CB750's. These were very vague. I guess these were fast, but I felt they were a little gutless and flat until you waited a second for the revs to rise. I can't believe anyone bought those when Nortons were available.

Very few people did, at least over here. The Hondas were much more expensive too.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »
When I headed out from Charleston WV to Port Isabel (Padre Island) in August of 1966, I'd never been on a motorcycle road trip.  Any thinking person would have changed either the countershaft sprocket or final drive to gear the bike higher, since it was scrambler-geared.  But when you don't know what you don't know, you go with what you've got.
I had:
One BSA 650 Spitfire Scrambler
One denim jacket
One USAR back pack
.... and the desire to get to southern Texas to see my bride-to-be.

Quite an adventure. No helmet, no goggles (until Chattanooga, TN) And what the hell is a rainsuit?

I ran the old Beezer so hard across the King Ranch that it apparently burnt up the spark plugs.

But luckily, the BSA made it down and back, for a round trip of approx. 3000 miles.

Who says these old Brit machines weren't tough!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:11:07 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »
...........I'd never been on a motorcycle road trip. 
I had:
One denim jacket
One USAR back pack
.... And what the hell is a rainsuit?

LOVE that last line !! :bow:
I think we're related :boozing:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
When I headed out from Charleston WV to Port Isabel (Padre Island) in August of 1966, I'd never been on a motorcycle road trip.  Any thinking person would have changed either the countershaft sprocket or final drive to gear the bike higher, since it was scrambler-geared.  But when you don't know what you don't know, you go with what you've got.
I had:
One denim jacket
One USAR back pack

Quite an adventure. No helmet, no goggles (until Chattanooga, TN) And what the hell is a rainsuit?

I ran the old Beezer so hard across the King Ranch that it apparently burnt up the spark plugs.

But luckily, the BSA made it down and back, for a round trip of approx. 3000 miles.

Stock gearing on the Scramblers was 18 - 47 (teeth on the engine and wheel sprockets respectively).   At 70 MPH on the road it would have been turning about 5500 RPM, which would feel pretty rambunctious ...  I have 21-47 on mine, and it calms it down QUITE a bit .... !

We didn't over-analyzed stuff back then, we just went with whatever we were riding.   There were no internet sites to tell you how impossible it would be to tour on an X ... !

Lannis

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2017, 07:50:57 PM »
Yeh, but there are NOW, Lannis.
Quit trying to rewrite history.
You know that S'Nortin' Norton never got you out past the edge of town Colorado. :thewife:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:56:47 PM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

kirby1923

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
When I got orders for west pac I was stationed at the Cecil field NAS JAX Fla., and I had to report to San Diego in 29 days. So I decided that since I was going to VN I would take my time and ride across and stop an visit family.
I went to the local moto dealer with what cash I had and bought a bike. I had a choice of a Norton Atlas (a '64 I think) or a Matchless 600 Typhoon single. I couldn't make a deal for the Norton so bought the Matchless and loaded it with my parachute bag full of stuff and a pair of sun glasses and hit the road.

Long story short, I made it! The Typhoon had a top of about 85 but would cruise at 65 with expectable vibration. Never failed me and taught me about the importance of a spark retard!

I know this thread is about Norton but I always wondered about that Norton. Wish I could have pulled that one off.
Wanted one ever since  but bought the CX instead.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:12:19 PM by kirby1923 »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »
When I got orders for west pac I was stationed at the Cecil field NAS JAX Fla., and I had to report to San Diego in 29 days. So I decided that since I was going to VN I would take my time and ride across and stop an visit family.
I went to the local moto dealer with what cash I had and bought a bike. I had a choice of a Norton Atlas (a '64 I think) or a Matchless 600 Typhoon single. I couldn't make a deal for the Norton so bought the Matchless and loaded it with my parachute bag full of stuff and a pair of sun glasses and hit the road.

Long story short, I made it! The Typhoon had a top of about 85 but would cruise at 65 with expectable vibration. Never failed me and taught me about the importance of a spark retard!

I know this thread is about Norton but I always wondered about that Norton. Wish I could have pulled that one off.
Wanted one ever since  but bought the CX instead.

Good story.   I've got one about my first BSA, and a long ride on it, but I'll save it for another time.

And as far as thread drift goes, by the year or so after you were trying to decide between them, Matchlesses became "badge engineered" Nortons, more or less.   So it's all in the family.   

I've ridden the 600 cc singles and the 750 Norton Atlas, and I'd pick the single every time, even for a long trip.   The Atlas was a real vibrator, and if you reach down and touch the head of your Norton Commando at speed and feel how that motor is buzzing, and then imagine the whole bike buzzing like that .... ouch!

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »
I had:
One denim jacket
One USAR back pack

Yeah , but Bob is leaving out the , er , interesting parts of this story  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2017, 10:58:39 PM »

Lannis

My '56 Triumph started on the first or second kick once I replaced the slip ring in the mag. Turn Ign. on, tickle the Amal Monobloc, push kick starter to a compression and then kick. Easy start. Always wished Guzzi had a kick start, would have helped me a many time when my first one and I were getting to know each other. My R75/5 kick is just about useless unless you move the LH foot peg out of the way of the kick stroke. If it's running right and have a warm engine, and it's just a bad battery. You can get it to start on the short stroke with the peg in the way.

EDIT:.. some spelling and...Wanted to add. On the R75/5, Do Not try to start a hard starting bike with the kicker on the side stand. It will bend the stand 90% of the time. Use the center stand instead then kick away.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:00:39 AM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

oldbike54

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2017, 11:09:36 PM »
My '56 Triumph started on the first or second kick one I replaced the slip ring in the mag. Turn Ign. on, tickle the Amal Monobloc, push kick starter to a compression and then kick. Easy start. Always wished Guzzi had a kick start, would have helped me a many time when my first one and I were getting to know each other. My R75/5 kick is just about useless unless you move the LH foot peg out of the way of the kick stroke. If it's running right and have a warm engine, and it;s just a bad battery. You can get it to start on the short stroke with the peg in the way.

Tom

I cut about 1/4 inch of the front of the pad on the kicker on my /5 Tom , now it clears the footpeg .

Dusty
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:11:31 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2017, 11:47:38 PM »
I shall have to look at that. I have always had a hard time cutting up a stock part in case sometime I or some one want's factory stock. I do have a spare kicker. I will look at modding it.

EDIT...I was thinking about how to make the foot peg fold out of the way while keeping the stock look, just couldn't figure out how without  a welder.

Thanks for the tip!!
Tom
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:09:49 AM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »
Oh I know , remember , I rode those old Limeys for years , all over the country . Once , only about 200 miles from home a couple of HD riders seemed amazed that we had ridden our TR6R that far , they just knew we had come in on a trailer . The wife set them straight on that , and then asked the two , "So just how far did you ride in from?" Seems they had made an epic journey of 15 miles  :laugh:

Dusty

1972 in South Dakota. Pic taken by my brother on his '69 750 Honda 4. We started out from Rochester, NY. Before we were back home we had gone as far as San Francisco, up the coast to Vancouver, BC and back. About 8,500 miles total. The luggage rack was a sheet of plywood with a piece of rubber hose glued to the front edge resting on the tail section and some conduit bent and clamped to the rear frame loop.
That same day the clutch fell off in he Black Hills. This '71 didn't come with the locking washer on the nut like the later ones had. My brother rode the 30 miles back to Rapid City where a guy in a bike shop lent us the clutch tool. Later on the way back I started losing power in the Canadian Rockies. Limped along for a few hundred more miles until it wouldn't run any more. My brother towed me the last 200 miles on the Trans Canada to Winnipeg to have the exhaust valves replaced. Who knew they should have been checked regularly? My previous two bikes were 2 stroke Yamahas.

This is how it looked a few years ago with its chrome plated frame. Frame chromed after the nickel oxidized. It now has a MKIII powder coated frame after the chrome frame rusted through. I assume all the plating solution had not been cleaned out.

Beside the cross country trip its been ridden to Norton Rallies in Georgia, Virginia, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, and probably a few more I forgotten about. Also done track days at Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen but only a few sessions as I soon found out the 9" Dunstall Brakes would fade after only a couple of laps. Rest of the day would be spent on my LeMans (ob Guzzi content).

Pete

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2017, 08:19:40 AM »
Surly one the most beautiful engines in all of cycledom. :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »
That would be Shirley..  :cool:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Of course, if $$$ MONEY $$$ were no object...this would be pretty cool....and/or one from the Colorado Norton Works (CNW)!!  :thumb: :cool: :1: :boozing:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
I understand what you mean ....10 degrees over advanced could cause a holed piston if the throttle was held open long enough in high gear..The old 750 Ducati's had no timing marks if I remember correctly...Timing was done by finding TDC and using a degree wheel, same as old British bikes... the standard full advance timing was 36-38 degrees, with 28 of that provided by the auto advance unit..Substituting softer advance springs gave sharper part throttle response , but could cause a bit of pinging.. I had owned a few 750 Ducati bevel drive twins over the years. The kick starter was a bit awkward but the engine always started on one kick..
  I had a 74 850 Commando with a hotter cam...When tuned properly is wasn't difficult to kick start provided you put some ass into it. Kick back can be induced by feeble kicking....The Norton was smooth above 2500 or so rpm but I never warmed up to handling of the bike...It was 10 years old when I got it and the Isolastic engine mounts may have deteriorated  needing  new rubber parts or shim adjustments . It felt hinged in the middle when pushed hard into turns...

You are correct that the old Ducks had a degree wheel. Seems to me that functionally there is no difference between  "pre ignition is actually igniting the fuel air mixture prematurely by hot spot and not the ignition spark...You had over advanced timing.." The result is the same if you are on a kick starter and the fuel mixture ignites before it is supposed to. You end up with a very sore ankle or ejection as the kick starter kicks you back as the mixture ignites. It's all semantics to me whatever you call it; the freaking kicker starter responds like it is rejecting you on the follow through. Before I got it sorted out (back in 73 in the middle of rural central Illinois there was not much in terms of help). It took me awhile to get the timing wheel and other parts to adjust the valves (winkler caps I believe they called them). Meanwhile I just played with the ignition until I found a sweet spot where it started on one or two kicks and ran well. I eventually ended up with a few speciality tools for it as well as the original manual that was written in both Italian and very bad English. It had good photos though.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
Nice weekend so I took the Norton and my wife took the GUzzi  :grin:

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 01:52:25 PM »
Norton are great, Commandos especially.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »
I now have a lead on a 1973 850 Commando. This one is much more stock. It has the twin Amal carbs. The only non-stock items appear to be the Corbin seat and the electronic ignition.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:29:39 PM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
Looks like a beauty!

Can I come take it for a ride after you get it?

I now have a lead on a 1973 850 Commando. This one is much more stock. It has the twin Amal carbs. The only non-stock items appear to be the Corbin seat and the electronic ignition.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »
Looks like a beauty!

Can I come take it for a ride after you get it?
Anytime you travel south give me a call and stop in.
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »
Oh yeah. I had the serious hots for one when I was a kid. Fortunately.. :smiley: I couldn't afford it. I wasn't a good enough mechanic to even *think* about maintaining a Velo then.

God I still dream about them, despite having ridden a few Thruxtons and Venom Clubmans. I think it would be better to get a MAC so you didn't have to worry about launching pistons.

My friend battled for years with one. Lots of money, lots of heartache.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here