Author Topic: He Spit on Me!  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: He Spit on Me!
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
Some folks are taking that idea to heart lately... thing is... it isn't making anything better. Plus, a lot of the folks that are taking it to heart... aren't exactly the kind of folks to be making snap judgements.
Yup, lawlessness isn't a good model for a civil society.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:06 PM »
All the good things I've heard about riding in Canada ... and now all of our Western Canada Guzzi riders are telling us about the kookie rednecks there that will sic a dog on us or run us down with their trucks and put it on Facebook?

That doesn't sound like much fun.

Lannis

Stay on the East Side of the Rockie then you should be fine... :thumb:

It is the West side that has gone a bit kookoo   :drool:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »
And here I thought Canada was generally safe, civil, and polite. My wife and I have even been thinking it would be fun to move there. What the heck is happening up north?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »
Stay on the East Side of the Rockie then you should be fine... :thumb:

It is the West side that has gone a bit kookoo   :drool:

I got a better idea ... I'll just stay on the south side of the 49th parallel.   At least I won't get surprised!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »
I got a better idea ... I'll just stay on the south side of the 49th parallel.   At least I won't get surprised!

Lannis

You're forgetting rural Arkansas  :boxing:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2018, 05:40:58 AM »
It is life and stuff happens. Over the years in my riding experience there have been a few instances where I have been the random and unlucky target of someones idea of fun. Spit, coffee, bottles, cans, small bags of trash even automobiles aimed at me while I was riding. During the 70's and early 80's there were a few pranksters that thought it was funny to point a firearm at a motorcyclist. Ha Ha those guys are such jokers. Right.
 Being non-confrontational, my philosophy (reinforced at a young age by my revered Aikido instructor) is to run away. He who runs away lives another day. A twist of the wrist and I am gone. Problem over. It is a beautiful day ahead of me.
 However, I still have some inner conflict as occasionally my military training kicks in and I was taught to run towards trouble. The good thing is I am older and weak and a coward so now I just ride off and away and forget about it.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »
It is life and stuff happens. Over the years in my riding experience there have been a few instances where I have been the random and unlucky target of someones idea of fun. Spit, coffee, bottles, cans, small bags of trash even automobiles aimed at me while I was riding. During the 70's and early 80's there were a few pranksters that thought it was funny to point a firearm at a motorcyclist. Ha Ha those guys are such jokers. Right.
 Being non-confrontational, my philosophy (reinforced at a young age by my revered Aikido instructor) is to run away. He who runs away lives another day. A twist of the wrist and I am gone. Problem over. It is a beautiful day ahead of me.
 However, I still have some inner conflict as occasionally my military training kicks in and I was taught to run towards trouble. The good thing is I am older and weak and a coward so now I just ride off and away and forget about it.
No, I would say you are smarter and more experienced.
All the truck has to do is ram you, crash you or worse. Then he would say "The crazy motorcycles was speeding out of control"
Definitely report the gun, or any threat a driver shows you.
Walking down the street would be a different situation, a bike vs. car/truck is different.

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2018, 07:57:18 AM »
Really?  Ok then.  I wasn't "dreaming", I was just asking a question.   Regardless of whether there's a truck involved, one person spitting on another is still pretty bad.

Lannis
Could he simply have been spitting out of his window, without taking you into account, and got you inadvertently?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 08:14:45 AM »
Could he simply have been spitting out of his window, without taking you into account, and got you inadvertently?

Well, I wasn't there, but the OP's implication:

"A Tundra driver came up fast behind me, so I got over to the right and slowed down to let him pass. Once he had passed me, I pulled over into the fast lane again and resumed my previous speed. That is when he rolled down his window and spit while watching me in his mirror...."

was certainly that it was "on purpose".   Who knows?

Lannis

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2018, 08:26:50 AM »
All the good things I've heard about riding in Canada ... and now all of our Western Canada Guzzi riders are telling us about the kookie rednecks there that will sic a dog on us or run us down with their trucks and put it on Facebook?

That doesn't sound like much fun.

Lannis

A couple things to clarify... my comment re: rural crime, is just that. There's an upsurge in rural crime out this way, involving thefts mostly, though not "only", and not enough police to do much about it. This is resulting in some folks taking a "well, I  guess I'm on my own" approach to property protection. We're talking "in the sticks". As for "Mr Attackdog Hangingcorpse", he's a nutjob. They exist in all parts of the world, usually in isiolated places, where they get to exist in an echochamber of paranoia and fear.

Doesn't mean someone is going to shoot you for riding down the highway. Most of the areas experiencing spikes in rural crime are not the types of places any of you are going to head to explore the country... they're grid roads, farm roads, the kind of roads you only drive down if you must,.

Threads like this call for people to tell the most dramatic and interesting stories they can... so you end up with a thread full of dramatic tales.

Long and short of it is... it's not that bad. And it's a beautiful part of the world. Well worth exploring.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:28:52 AM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »

Plus, in the places where this sort of thing is an issue... you probably wouldn't be riding anyways. Threads like this call for people to tell the most dramatic and interesting stories they can... so you end up with a thread full of dramatic tales.

I know.   I guess I was just getting over the shock of hearing someone, ANYONE, speak of any aspect of Canada as anything but tremendously superior to their neighbor to the South. 

Plenty of places within bike range of home here where I'd coast as far as I could go if my bike broke down.

Long and short of it is... it's not that bad.

Well, there goes your opportunity to become a slogan writer for the Alberta Board of Tourism.

"Alberta - It's Not As Bad As You Think!"   :wink:

Lannis

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
I know.   I guess I was just getting over the shock of hearing someone, ANYONE, speak of any aspect of Canada as anything but tremendously superior to their neighbor to the South. 

Plenty of places within bike range of home here where I'd coast as far as I could go if my bike broke down.

Well, there goes your opportunity to become a slogan writer for the Alberta Board of Tourism.

"Alberta - It's Not As Bad As You Think!"   :wink:

Lannis

Well, I submitted:

Alberta: We're in debt up to our eyeballs!

Saskatchewan: Watch yer shit!

...but they got turned down, can't imagine why.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
I have had an orange thrown at me while riding my pushbike. Hit my helmet and stunned me for a bit. I was doing about 26km/hr in city traffic and keeping up with it. By the time I recovered (still upright) I could see a group of young idiots hanging out of the car windows laughing. If I had swerved and gone down the car behind would have been unable to miss me.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
 Muzz ,

At about 16 a couple of younger kids who lived in my Grandparents neighborhood launched a large stick at me as I was riding by on an old Triumph . It sort of glanced off my chest and stunned me a bit. The outcome was a bit different ...for them  :evil:

Dusty

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »
Muzz ,

At about 16 a couple of younger kids who lived in my Grandparents neighborhood launched a large stick at me as I was riding by on an old Triumph . It sort of glanced off my chest and stunned me a bit. The outcome was a bit different ...for them  :evil:

Dusty

Ooohhhhh...

Do tell!!!!

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »
Ooohhhhh...

Do tell!!!!

Jeff

OK . In my youth I was a very fast little bugger , and these two geniuses decided that splitting up wasn't wise , so they took off running in the same direction . Now there were no houses behind Grandad's place , just an alley , some woods , and a creek . Now you might think that these two twelve year old kids would have been aware of that , but apparently they weren't , or they thought they were gonna outrun me . They did have a 100 foot lead , which evaporated about 5 feet from the creek . Now by now their mamma was yelling at us , so I pulled up , as she looked pretty upset, but these two junior Einsteins ended up going head long down a 4' creek bank , and the face first into about 6" of water and mud . The really funny part was when the enormous Snapping Turtle (and I do mean enormous , about 2' across and 3' long) who was hanging out just down the creek at a small concrete spillway waiting for dinner decided that one of the boys was looking pretty tasty and came at an amazing speed for a Turtle to check the situation out . His big old ferocious looking snout was open and he had a determined look in his eyes . So now I'm laughing , and mamma is still yelling , and the two boys , being the smart types , are wallowing in the mud attempting to escape from Jaws . Finally they figured out to jump out of the creek bottom to escape the big green beastie, who after all , could really only move about so fast .

In the end it all worked out , I told mamma what had happened , she asked the two worse for wear boys if that was true , they both sheepishly said "yes mamma" . She asked if I was alright , which I was except for the pain in my sides from laughing , and we all went on about our day .

Dusty

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »
now That is a good story! When I was stationed at Barksdale in Louisiana there was a contest at someplace in Shreveport to bring in the biggest snapping turtle. My drinking buddy Dan swiped the winner out of the pool it was in late one night. He said he carried it by the tail and dropped it once before he got it in the back of his pickup. the next day he called me to help him butcher this thing, it was tearing down his shed and he liked turtle. It was huge, about 200 pounds and was angry and a dinosaur. Ill look for the pictures and scan them, its unbelievable. it didn't taste too bad but it was tougher than dog no matter how I cooked it but I wasn't much of a turtle cook back then. I think those kids were scared shitless, I've seen them things bite stuff and its a sight to remember.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
Many years ago, a good buddy of mine had an interesting encounter. First you have to picture him. Today if you saw him from 20 Ft. away he would look like a 5'6" stocky Jay Leno. Back 35 or 40 years, jet black hair in a braid almost to his waist, maybe 180 pounds,no fat, full beard, a BSA guy, nicest guy you would ever meet.He is driving to work in a 2 stroke Saab on a short ride on interstate. On the single lane off ramp this guy passes him on the right. He is like WTF, and continues to work. Next day, same exit ramp, my buddy looks in his rear view and no sheet, here this guy comes again and vrooms right by again. Now we have a pursuit until the first stoplight in town. My friend gets out and walks up to this guys door who saw him coming and had locked his door. My friend grabs his windshield wiper and put a good 90 degree bend in it , looked the guy right in the eye , cocked his head and gave a nice grin, and sauntered back to his car, light turned green and everyone went to work.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »
I am glad you are OK. That could have been alot worse. You are smart to stay in control of yourself.

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »
yall are a bunch of saints, I would have fallen way back and followed incognito until he made his exit and then he'd be in for quite a surprise at the next light he was stuck at, or his destination
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2018, 06:53:58 AM »
yall are a bunch of saints, I would have fallen way back and followed incognito until he made his exit and then he'd be in for quite a surprise at the next light he was stuck at, or his destination

I think where we're getting off base is in equating "Dealing with aggression and bullying" and "Being out of control and stupid".

You can accomplish the first without the second, and if more people did, there would be less of the first.

Lannis

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2018, 06:56:51 AM »
I think where we're getting off base is in equating "Dealing with aggression and bullying" and "Being out of control and stupid".

You can accomplish the first without the second, and if more people did, there would be less of the first.

Lannis

I never lose control or get stupid....  Now spitting on another man, a stranger unknown to you...  THATS stupid
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
^ Yes, the trucker was stupid, but he could have driven me off the road or shot me dead if I had responded in kind. So, instead, in effect, I turned the other cheek, went on my way, and lived to ride another day.

Now, if my wife and I had been walking down the sidewalk or sitting in a restaurant and he spit on my wife, I would indeed have responded, physically and not just with words (and probably ended up injured, dead, or in jail).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »
You did the right thing and some small part of his brain should recognize that he is an arse. things can spiral so fast if a guy chooses to react. Never let 'em see you coming if you think you can apply some corrective consequences. 99.9% you'll never see them again
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:26:48 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here