Author Topic: Two to compare  (Read 11528 times)

oldbike54

Re: Two to compare
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
 The fact is , almost no one can ride a 100 HP sport bike anywhere near its limit on the street , maybe Guy Martin or the one surviving Dunlop . I have a friend here who was a pro level flat track racer in the 1970's , and before that a champion MXer and scrambles rider . Guy is bad fast , almost superhuman . We took a group of young hot rods out for a small group ride about 10 year ago , all on Japanese repliracers , my bud was on a 1000 CC Concourse and I was on a 1000 CC BMW . Following along behind my friend got me in the groove , so wicked it up , the young guys riding the sport bikes were shocked at how fast we were going on those old clunkers . The funny thing , we weren't going all that fast  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline ssrealty

• New Egg
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
I am guessing that you have the top of the line model with Ohlins and quick shift.  I agree that the both bikes listed here have pretty comfy riding positions.  You certainly have a nice motorcycle.

BTW-  I've ridden the base SS and Suzuki.   The Suzuki seems like a lot of bike for much less money.

Yes. I have the SuperSport SS model. It has the quick shifter and Ohlins suspension. I probably am not a skilled enough rider to feel the difference in suspension, but I have never ridden the base model SuperSport. But I can certainly vouch for the quick shifter feature.

I also installed the Ducabike billet 15mm bar risers which makes the riding position even more comfortable.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2018, 06:39:44 AM »
When I was laying down the miles I went for Japanese.

Now that I will be lucky to see 8-10,000 miles a year I can justify the more expensive to buy and own bikes.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:43 AM »
The fact is , almost no one can ride a 100 HP sport bike anywhere near its limit on the street , maybe Guy Martin or the one surviving Dunlop . I have a friend here who was a pro level flat track racer in the 1970's , and before that a champion MXer and scrambles rider . Guy is bad fast , almost superhuman . We took a group of young hot rods out for a small group ride about 10 year ago , all on Japanese repliracers , my bud was on a 1000 CC Concourse and I was on a 1000 CC BMW . Following along behind my friend got me in the groove , so wicked it up , the young guys riding the sport bikes were shocked at how fast we were going on those old clunkers . The funny thing , we weren't going all that fast  :laugh:

Dusty

There are fast riders and there are fast bikes.  There is sometimes minimal correlation between the two.

Really the only time you use big power is in first or 2nd gear and get that big rush by twisting the grip.  I'll admit that good running twin's quick torque is just a satisfying and offers more real world fun <Greenie content>.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:43 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »
There are fast riders and there are fast bikes.  There is sometimes minimal correlation between the two.

Really the only time you use big power is in first or 2nd gear and get that big rush by twisting the grip.  I'll admit that good running twin's quick torque is just a satisfying and offers more real world fun <Greenie content>.

Plus the fact that the perception of speed can be misleading , I hear riders saying they are much faster on one bike than another , but riding with them often indicates they are as fast on a California as they are on a sport bike . For some reason , a forward lean and rear set pegs increase the sensation of speed . By damn , I look like Hailwood on this bike , so I must be going faster  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
I think you're on to something Dusty.  Perception can be misleading and also some people have a riding style(or environment) that a particular bike is better suited towards.  I remember quite a few years ago that a bunch of people jumped on me on the board when I said I could ride my modded 2008 Sport over a crooked road faster than I could my 93' 900SS.  I could also ride my Sport faster over the same road as my 2000 ZRX1100 that was modded to 130hp at the rear wheel.  The Ducati's handling is described by everyone in nearly mythical terms.  Guess what?  It absolutely blows on frost heaves, gravel strewn corners and rough roads.  It sucked.  The Kawasaki had 50hp more than the Guzzi but the hit at 8,000rpm was like a two stroke.  It wasn't weak below that at all...but the transition at 7-8k after I put the ZX-11 cam in ruined what was previously an extremely tractable engine.       

"Faster" might be the wrong word.  I felt safer at 8/10th's on the Guzzi than I did 6 or 7/10ths on the Ducati or Kawasaki.  This was especially true on roads with rough or broken pavement.  I was much more comfortable with the safety envelope at a given pace so the elapsed time between point A and point B was always quicker on my Guzzi.         

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »
+1.  I know some guys who are SERIOUSLY quick and talented.  Much faster on any bike than I am, or am comfortable to ride on a public street (and that's much more than is sensible at times).  I've seen these folks SMOKE anything on two wheels riding 40 hp motorcycles (until the two mile straight-but who cares about that-go to Bonneville).
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

oldbike54

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2018, 01:35:21 PM »
 One of ours has lapped the old course at the Nurburgring , and actually lapped faster on an R 90 S than a much more more modern faster bike .

Dusty

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
  My 79 Triumph 750 and 96 900 Monster weight about the same with some fuel, 430 pounds...The Triumph is 50 hp with a small single disc brake front and back, the well tuned Monster 85 HP with huge brakes, wide radial tires and better suspension...On two lane back roads I can ride the Triumph closer to the limit because the limits are lower than the Monster and the Triumph lets you know it doesn't want to go faster..But on the same road I can go faster on the Monster but the speed makes me back off before I reach the bike's limit...And at 71 years old I am not as sharp as a younger rider...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »
OK  You guys were right, the Duc is the cool one.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
That thing's gorgeous. Did you buy it? I'd look good on it..  :thumb:  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2019, 06:17:06 PM »
Have Ducati fixed there immobiliser problems?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »
That thing's gorgeous. Did you buy it? I'd look good on it..  :thumb:  :smiley:

Yep.  Got it in Dallas.  1300 miles on it when I bought it.  First service done.  Break in, done.  Recalls, done. Rode it 250 miles today to get it home.

Dealer replaced the gas tank and polished out the replacement tank.  Probably saved $4k offa retail.  I like AMS Ducati in Dallas.  Used bike but they did work with me.  It's fun bike.  Good power and well balanced.  I've wanted one for a sometime.  The Suzi was nice but this is more what I wanted, bags and seat cowl. 
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »
Have Ducati fixed there immobiliser problems?

Say prayer for me.
John L 

twowings

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »
Congratulations, John! Many happy miles... :thumb: 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »
Thanks Chris.
John L 

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2019, 07:46:27 PM »
 :drool:
Beautiful bike.

Congrats!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
 :thumb:
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
 I love a happy ending.  I'm glad you got what you really wanted in the first place. Only one life to live.  .
 Having the maturity and self discipline to ride a super sport on the street is not only a necessity, but also a very rewarding feeling every time you bring it home in one piece with licence intact.. They can make you a better rider and person. Life is full of temptations,  it's how you deal with them that makes the difference.
That's a beautiful machine, congrat's  :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2019, 09:29:57 PM »
thanks
John L 

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2019, 12:31:04 AM »
Nice! Did you trade a bike in, or just add one to the stable?
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »
Dorcia said Bev will look good on the back.  :smiley:
Good for you. Life is short, and as far as we know, we only do this once. When your heart says Duck, there's no need of even looking at the impostor.  :grin: Enjoy..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
Nice! Did you trade a bike in, or just add one to the stable?

well, I tried to trade in my Suzuki and they offered me $500 off their asking price whether I gave them the Suzuki or not. 

So for now, I am keeping the Bandit but it is for sale. 

Keeping the Greenie as it is still my favorite.  Would consider trading or selling the EV for a full on tourer of some type.  But that is great all around machine for errands and the like.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
Dorcia said Bev will look good on the back.  :smiley:
Good for you. Life is short, and as far as we know, we only do this once. When your heart says Duck, there's no need of even looking at the impostor.  :grin: Enjoy..

Bev will only ride on the EV.

So far as the Duc, I've wanted one and got a smoking deal on it  -never seen one as cheap-  *Guzzi Content*.   I don't think I will ever buy a new motorcycle again, considering depreciation, break in, first service and recalls.  In fact, it's a premium to me not to screw that stuff.

The story on this bike is that it had a little over 1300 miles on it.  The guy traded his Harley for it.  Then after he got the SS, he decided he wanted a full-on sport Pentgale.  When we did the paperwork, we were all surprised that he never registered it.  So I am technically the first owner.  Also have 13 months of warranty left.   The dealer completed the last recall the day before I picked it up. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:53:56 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2019, 12:54:38 PM »

Way to go, John!   :thumb: :bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »
Sexy bike, John. And it's red, the only proper color for a Duc SS.

Time for a road trip!
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »
   I don't think I will ever buy a new motorcycle again, considering depreciation, break in, first service and recalls.

Not to mention all the "dealer fees". 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2019, 10:32:18 PM »
I was gonna say 'Duc!', but as I read on, I see you made a beautiful decision. I love my Red Ducs.
Enjoy her. Lei è bellissima  :thumb:
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »
Congrats John!!
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:51 AM »
Did you all notice the Griso in the background of the second picture? Yeah, didn't think so.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here