Author Topic: Rocker59's V7 Special Thread  (Read 63617 times)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Rocker59's V7 Special Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2015, 05:31:58 AM »
Try Pat Mitchell at Astech Seats for a rebuild of your stock seat.  A very nice improvement.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Rocker59's V7 Special Threa
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Im fancying the idea of getting a v7 and doing a "Lemansish" theme with it . Just don't want to get into another 40-50hp bike and dropping $3k into the motor for 20hp. Went through that nightmare with a Thruxton.  :weiner:  But still like them though. A bit. Only if I could fit a v11 moter in that frame.... :bike-037:

Welcome to the forum.

With the V7 series, $5000 will get you about 10bhp.  Maybe 15bhp.  Don't buy one if cheap horsepower is a top priority for you.  It will only lead to disappointment.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Re-torqued the heads and set the valves last night.  Right-side intake and left-side exhaust were tight.  Almost no clearance.  Reset to spec and reassembled.  Easy-Peasy.

This evening, I removed the main fuse, then replaced it.  Then per recent recommendations, I let the bike idle for 15-minutes without touching the throttle, to allow the trim to reset.

Result?  Smoothest idle since buying the bike in August.  And, during the shake-down road-test tonight, the bike continues to run great on the new map downloaded by Kinetic last week.

:bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »
Vibration:

Something I didn't notice early during break-in, because I was keeping the revs below 4,000 rpm, but the V7 Special has a bit of vibration that I don't remember in my 2010 V7 Classic.

It's a buzzy, high frequency vibration that grows with RPM, and peaks around 5,000 rpm.  Adding the Agostini's crash bar really magnified the vibration at 5,000 rpm.  The vibes are especially noticeable in the footpegs.  Left one is the worst.

So, I removed the Agostini's crash bar, and the vibes went down to a tolerable level.  A little annoying, but tolerable.

Folks that don't spend much time at 80 mph might not ever notice the vibes, but I see 75-80 mph on my daily commute.  And, if I want to go to Tulsa, most of the ride is 75-80 mph expressway.

Anyone have any thoughts, input, or advice on the buzzy vibration ??
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:19 PM »
Yeah.  It's not going back on.  Funny how it magnified the vibes.

My 2010 had a Breva 750 crashbar and I don't remember this buzzy vibration.

Does your 1TB V7 have the vibes I'm describing ?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2015, 10:51:20 PM »
Re-torqued the heads and set the valves last night.  Right-side intake and left-side exhaust were tight.  Almost no clearance.  Reset to spec and reassembled.  Easy-Peasy.

Sitting here wondering if the tight left-hand exhaust valve contributed to the discoloration on the header that is much more noticeable than it is on the right?  Hmmm...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
My V7II with the six speed is a lot smoother than my 2010 V7C.  A very noticeable difference.
http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-oem-crash-bar-vibration-issue.14512/
This guy had his frame crack from crashbar vibration...

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2015, 11:18:51 PM »
Did you check the clearance before you re-torqued the heads?  Re-torquing them tightens everything up.

Didn't slide a feeler in there, but there was just a little clearance.  A couple thou, maybe.  After torquing, virtually nothing.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Penderic

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2015, 12:17:12 AM »
My right side crash bar would vibrate a lot, the left side very little. I took them off for now.

Similiarly, the left side handlebar seems to vibrate more than the right side, though it could just be the throttle tube absorbing or masking it. Left thumb is not too happy.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2015, 04:17:57 AM »
I never noticed the vibes in the bars or pegs.  After reading about the crashbar vibrations, I reached down at speed and definitely felt it in the crashbars at certain RPMS.  I have the one piece Agostinis, but it doesn't affect my ride.  Feel better having them on there. 

The V7 headers seem to be affected by bluing more than other bikes, and usually in a funky spotty pattern that extends down the entire header.   Usually bluing doesn't bother me.  I had mine ceramic coated black last winter.  Goes well with the "less shiney" look I'm going for on my bike.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

biking sailor

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2015, 06:07:23 AM »
Sitting here wondering if the tight left-hand exhaust valve contributed to the discoloration on the header that is much more noticeable than it is on the right?  Hmmm...

My Thruxton has the right header much more blue than the left, which is more gold color.  I have cleaned them with some stuff I bought at Cyclegear, and they came right back to original color, gold left and blue right, after a long ride.  Plugs look the same both sides and measured heat of the header tubes right after a high speed run and within a couple degrees of each other.  I just chalked it up to variation in the tubes and chrome characteristics.  Trying not to let it bother me.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
Vibration.

Hmmm, I can't give you a good answer.

I DON'T RECALL noticing a particular spot of excessive vibration.

But I DON'T have engine guards per se, I've got some frame sliders mounted to the downtubes where the frame crabs.

I will say that during the first few thousand miles I always felt like the motor was tight and really didn't enjoy highway. Maybe THAT included some vibration, but if so it was very low frequency.

At 10k miles it feels like a different bike, though maybe not as "loose" as Jay's V7C felt when we compared them side-by-side almost 3 years ago.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2015, 09:32:24 PM »
.... the left side handlebar seems to vibrate more than the right side, though it could just be the throttle tube absorbing or masking it. Left thumb is not too happy.

I have two different airheads that have a lot more vibration in the left mirror than the right.    I think that the additional weight of the controls on the right side damp the vibration.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:34:11 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2015, 11:48:12 PM »
rocker59, your front brake mod's are of interest. You changed the disk, the lines (I assume), the callipers, and the pads. Is this a 'stopee' upgrade or just progressive feel? Somewhere back in the thread you said you felt stock brakes weren't bad. My experience 'varies' by at least three fingers.
This would be the last upgrade to the machine for me... there really isn't terribly much more I haven't touched.
I'm not going as far as replacing the front end for the sake of double disks but I like good stuff. Lead me down that road.
For the sake of clarity: I think you have K forks and I know I have M's if it makes any difference.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »
rocker59, your front brake mod's are of interest. You changed the disk, the lines (I assume), the callipers, and the pads. Is this a 'stopee' upgrade or just progressive feel? Somewhere back in the thread you said you felt stock brakes weren't bad. My experience 'varies' by at least three fingers.
This would be the last upgrade to the machine for me... there really isn't terribly much more I haven't touched.
I'm not going as far as replacing the front end for the sake of double disks but I like good stuff. Lead me down that road.
For the sake of clarity: I think you have K forks and I know I have M's if it makes any difference.

Haven't done it, yet, but will replace the rotor with a lighter/thicker Brembo unit.  Also would like to switch the caliper to the 4-pad type, for better feel.  Shouldn't have to replace the line, which is already a nice braided unit.  I doubt it will be stoppie territory, but will be an improvement over stock.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
Priorities, priorities!?!?!  Right at 300 miles clocked on the V7 Special during my Saturday ride down to the Okie campout, and back home.  More "touring" than "sport" on this ride, as probably only 15% of the miles were what I'd call "curvy".

Made it all the way around my loop to Boles Arkansas before fueling at 190 miles.  3.9 gallons consumed, so 48 mpg.  That tank was 91 octane non-ethanol.  The tank before was 91 octane with ethanol.  Guess what?  The 91 E10 tank was 49 mpg.  Best tank, so far, has been on 89 octane E10.  That tank returned about 51 mpg.  So, economy wise, the bike doesn't seem to care too much what you feed it.

I noticed on this ride that the bike was feeling cramped by the end of the day.  Short peg to seat distance.  And, my loose-fitting Olympia 1pc suit really caught a lot of wind, adding to the fatigue.

The suspension is definitely log wagon territory, and the seat doesn't do many favors.  I'd like to upgrade several things on the bike, but I think suspension has been moved to the top.  So, later this fall/winter, I'll make the final decisions and fork out the $$$$.

My Saturday Ride:  Google Map Link
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:02:09 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

sincolita

« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2015, 07:47:12 PM »
The suspension is definitely log wagon territory, and the seat doesn't do many favors.  I'd like to upgrade several things on the bike, but I think suspension has been moved to the top.  So, later this fall/winter, I'll make the final decisions and fork out the $$$$.

Ugh. Yes. I've put 1,800 miles on my 2015 Stone and I keep waiting for the suspension to soften, but the lumpy streets of Philly are killing me. My seat is the OEM Low Gel Seat, which is not very comfortable but it's my only option since my feet barely touch the ground with the stock seat, so I think a suspension upgrade is in my future too. I'm interested to see what you decide on.

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info and pics.

Kim

oldbike54

« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2015, 08:09:40 PM »
Priorities, priorities!?!?!  Right at 300 miles clocked on the V7 Special during my Saturday ride down to the Okie campout, and back home.  More "touring" than "sport" on this ride, as probably only 15% of the miles were what I'd call "curvy".

Made it all the way around my loop to Boles Arkansas before fueling at 190 miles.  3.9 gallons consumed, so 48 mpg.  That tank was 91 octane non-ethanol.  The tank before was 91 octane with ethanol.  Guess what?  The 91 E10 tank was 49 mpg.  Best tank, so far, has been on 89 octane E10.  That tank returned about 51 mpg.  So, economy wise, the bike doesn't seem to care too much what you feed it.

I noticed on this ride that the bike was feeling cramped by the end of the day.  Short peg to seat distance.  And, my loose-fitting Olympia 1pc suit really caught a lot of wind, adding to the fatigue.

My Saturday Ride:  Google Map Link

The map doesn't even begin to show how curvy the Talimina Drive is .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »
Ugh. Yes. I've put 1,800 miles on my 2015 Stone and I keep waiting for the suspension to soften, but the lumpy streets of Philly are killing me. My seat is the OEM Low Gel Seat, which is not very comfortable but it's my only option since my feet barely touch the ground with the stock seat, so I think a suspension upgrade is in my future too. I'm interested to see what you decide on.

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info and pics.

Kim

I suspect you're too light for that suspension.

It worked on for me, but I think I'm probably double your size.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2015, 09:24:18 PM »

Yeah , but Rocker is about your size  :evil:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2015, 09:26:45 PM »
Yeah , but Rocker is about your size  :evil:

Dusty

Yeah, but he's just a pansy... :evil:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
Yeah, but he's just a pansy... :evil:

UH OH  :boxing: Red is however one tough cookie , and she complained  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline paulbr

• New Egg
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2015, 03:10:53 AM »
Just do it. Changing the shocks is easy and can be relatively cheap. Is there anyone here who's replaced them and not wished they did it earlier? I think it even makes the seat feel better!

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »
The map doesn't even begin to show how curvy the Talimina Drive is .

Dusty

50 miles of fun.  But you do have to zoom in a bit to see the curves.

Talimena Scenic Drive
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »
Just do it. Changing the shocks is easy and can be relatively cheap. Is there anyone here who's replaced them and not wished they did it earlier? I think it even makes the seat feel better!

I don't really like "cheap", but will upgrade the shocks sometime this fall.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:33 AM »

<Kev raises his hand>

I get around corners, but I'm no ricky-racer.

I'm big enough (230#ish) that the stock suspension might have still be on the harsh SIDE of things, but it wasn't horrible. It was way better than say a stock Sportster suspension. It was better even than the stock Jackal suspension.

Now I DID replace the Jackal suspension (a couple of times) and eventually put some YSS's on and said "shyte, why didn't I do that sooner".

And I DID buy a set of VERY LIGHTLY used YSS's for the Stone that were set-up originally for a guy maybe only 20# heavier than me.

I've adjusted them quite a bit - softer and heavier, played with damping, and ya know what, I'm sure they're better, but I'm not sitting here wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

Nope.

So yeah, there's at least someone.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline paulbr

• New Egg
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
<Kev raises his hand>
So yeah, there's at least someone.

Always got to be someone  :laugh:

sincolita

« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »

I suspect you're correct. I'm under 120 in all my gear. Fortunately, other than the sub-par suspension, I adore the bike, so making it perfect (for me) is all part of the relationship. I'll spend the winter gathering info/advice and tweaking the stock suspension as much as possible, then upgrade it next year.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2015, 09:37:11 AM »
I suspect you're correct. I'm under 120 in all my gear. Fortunately, other than the sub-par suspension, I adore the bike, so making it perfect (for me) is all part of the relationship. I'll spend the winter gathering info/advice and tweaking the stock suspension as much as possible, then upgrade it next year.

I'm 240 lbs !!! 

My biggest complaint with the forks is the stiction in the first 1/4" of travel.  And, the compression damping seems a little harsh.

Shocks just feel all out of whack. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »
I'm 240 lbs !!! 

Not often you get to say "I'm TWICE the man you are!", well, in a sense, since you're "concolita" ...
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here