Author Topic: I finally got around to fixing my Norge top case.  (Read 5076 times)

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
I finally got around to fixing my Norge top case.
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:45:55 PM »
Last year my Norge top case went flying from its mount after hitting some ruts on the side of the road doing 5 mph. First hit me in the back upon separating from the mount, then plopped onto the ground. Luckily the case wasn't that damaged, just a little bit of road-rash. I just had the case repainted by Maaco and they did a decent job for $175.00, certainly a better paint job than the factory paint job that Guzzi did when the case was first painted. And just for info, Maaco used standard Dodge Viper Red color paint, which is a perfect match for Guzzi red.

Now that I got the case repainted I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't go flying off again. So, my project today was to figure a way to bolt the top case directly to the mount. First thing I did was increase the size of the tang that slides into the aluminum lug on the mount. (see the first picture) This tang, which is about 1/8" stock from the factory, is all that is keeping the case from flying from the mount. This was simple fix to do with a file, and now the tang is closer to 1/4". Next I decided to weld a piece of 3/16" flat bar to the mount, (see picture 2) and then drilled a 10 mm hole through the top case and another through the 3/16" flat bar welded to the mount. Finally I took another piece of 3/16" flat bar and welded a 10mm bolt to it. Now when the case is on the mount I push the 10mm bolt welded to the flat bar through the hole in the case and then through the hole in the flat bar on the mount. Then after  fitting a 10mm nut the case ain't going anywhere until I remove the nut.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:11:29 PM by azccj »
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I finally got around to fixing my Norge top case.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:59:07 AM »
Thanks for the report. I take it that this is the "original" mount??? Or, is yours the modified replacement Guzzi sent out?

Nice job there. You could also use a wing nut with a spring from the bottom to facilitate easy removal, yet keep it secure. If you're like me though, it wouldn't matter that much. Once I get something the way I want it, I don't take things on and off.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

murphy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 06:30:24 AM »
Nice Job. I wound up drilling my hole through the horseshoe bracket itself and running a bolt and wing nut.
The thing is, I only did it because I read of these things happening to top cases on the Norge. Mine snaps in so tight, and
feels so solid, that I found it hard to believe these "fall-offs" happened. So I figured, better safe than sorry, and took
10 minutes out of my day to make the bodge.
Murphy

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »
When mine flew off last year it was on there as solid as could be. I did 300 miles that day and hit all kinds of bumps in the road before I hit the ruts and off it came. Mine had the latest new mount when the case went flying and although it is stronger than the plastic lug model it replaces, it still is a crappy design. I'm sure many more top cases will fly from their mounts unless owners take steps to ensure they wont.
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2014 BMW F800GT

2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
Thank You for the heads up. Looks like cheap insurance. You did a nice job on that bracket.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
Last year my Norge top case went flying from its mount after hitting some ruts on the side of the road doing 5 mph. First hit me in the back upon separating from the mount, then plopped onto the ground. Luckily the case wasn't that damaged, just a little bit of road-rash. I just had the case repainted by Maaco and they did a decent job for $175.00, certainly a better paint job than the factory paint job that Guzzi did when the case was first painted. And just for info, Maaco used standard Dodge Viper Red color paint, which is a perfect match for Guzzi red.

Now that I got the case repainted I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't go flying off again. So, my project today was to figure a way to bolt the top case directly to the mount. First thing I did was increase the size of the tang that slides into the aluminum lug on the mount. (see the first picture) This tang, which is about 1/8" stock from the factory, is all that is keeping the case from flying from the mount. This was simple fix to do with a file, and now the tang is closer to 1/4". Next I decided to weld a piece of 3/16" flat bar to the mount, (see picture 2) and then drilled a 10 mm hole through the top case and another through the 3/16" flat bar welded to the mount. Finally I took another piece of 3/16" flat bar and welded a 10mm bolt to it. Now when the case is on the mount I push the 10mm bolt welded to the flat bar through the hole in the case and then through the hole in the flat bar on the mount. Then after  fitting a 10mm nut the case ain't going anywhere until I remove the nut.

Your pix seem no longer to be available.  Can you repost?  I have decided that I might get over losing the top case, but as Kathi is riding to Virginia with me day after tomorrow, losing her at the same time would, at a minimum, be a lot more paperwork.   ;D

Seriously, I looked for a more recent post on this, but didn't see one.  If there is newer stuff, I'm sure someone will swat me with it.   :D

Thanks.

Bill

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
I got in to work today, seems like maybe Pikehk (Red Norge) was here and lost his top box on the way.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »
Any Givi trunks done this?

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »

Now that I got the case repainted I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't go flying off again. So, my project today was to figure a way to bolt the top case directly to the mount. First thing I did was increase the size of the tang that slides into the aluminum lug on the mount. (see the first picture) This tang, which is about 1/8" stock from the factory, is all that is keeping the case from flying from the mount. This was simple fix to do with a file, and now the tang is closer to 1/4". Next I decided to weld a piece of 3/16" flat bar to the mount, (see picture 2) and then drilled a 10 mm hole through the top case and another through the 3/16" flat bar welded to the mount. Finally I took another piece of 3/16" flat bar and welded a 10mm bolt to it. Now when the case is on the mount I push the 10mm bolt welded to the flat bar through the hole in the case and then through the hole in the flat bar on the mount. Then after  fitting a 10mm nut the case ain't going anywhere until I remove the nut.

Your pix seem no longer to be available.  Can you repost?  I have decided that I might get over losing the top case, but as Kathi is riding to Virginia with me day after tomorrow, losing her at the same time would, at a minimum, be a lot more paperwork.   ;D

Seriously, I looked for a more recent post on this, but didn't see one.  If there is newer stuff, I'm sure someone will swat me with it.   :D

Thanks.

Bill
The pics have been uploaded again. Unknown why they disappeared.
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2014 BMW F800GT

2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
Here's my fix that I posted on GuzziTech last year. It's fast, cheap, easy, and has worked for at least 6,000 miles (with some real jolts along the way).

Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »
Can you repost guzzitech pic please? Thanks, Buck

"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here