Author Topic: Bike Lifts - how useful?  (Read 14770 times)

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Bike Lifts - how useful?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 03:59:11 AM »
Best tool I own!
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
If you're building a new garage, consider leaving a hole in the slab floor so your lift will be flush with the floor when fully retracted.  That's what I would do.

Cam,  look at the thread on Garage Size,  another writer has a garage with a recessed floor lift.  Looks great, although  I do wonder about it being a trap for dirt and debris.

Still, I'm really liking the idea.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:44 AM »

Cam,  look at the thread on Garage Size,  another writer has a garage with a recessed floor lift.  Looks great, although  I do wonder about it being a trap for dirt and debris.

Still, I'm really liking the idea.

Can't be any more of a dirt/debris trap than the underside of my lift above ground.  So a couple times a year you clean it out and find all those lost nuts and bolts. 

I just don't see a down side.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
Can't be any more of a dirt/debris trap than the underside of my lift above ground.  So a couple times a year you clean it out and find all those lost nuts and bolts. 

I like the idea and want to do it. I'm glad you suggested it before the foundation was poured.

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
I like the idea and want to do it. I'm glad you suggested it before the foundation was poured.

If you're putting in a floor drain, consider locating it in the lift recess.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »

It reduces the maximum working height of the lift by the depth of the recess.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 01:05:17 PM »
Personally, I've yet to EVER fully extend my lift.  What else ya got?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Personally, I've yet to EVER fully extend my lift.  What else ya got?

Mine's up all the way as we speak. I'm working on a chipper engine. Sure is nice to have it up where I can get to it instead of standing on my head fooling the the carb, pulling the flywheel, etc.
Why have I never had a bike lift before?? Duh.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »
It reduces the maximum working height of the lift by the depth of the recess.

It *does* do that, but with the limited space of the OP, it makes sense.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
Mine's up all the way as we speak. I'm working on a chipper engine. Sure is nice to have it up where I can get to it instead of standing on my head fooling the the carb, pulling the flywheel, etc.
Why have I never had a bike lift before?? Duh.

Yea, but you put airplane engines in motorcycles!  I'm just happy to change my oil.

:bow:
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 01:27:57 PM »
What qualities or options should I look for in a lift?

All you lift owners should have an idea of what you would do differently the second time around.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
What qualities or options should I look for in a lift?

All you lift owners should have an idea of what you would do differently the second time around.

Well, you either buy quality or you buy price, just like everything else.  :wink: To me, it depends on how much you are planning on using it. I've worked off a pro lift at MGC, and my cheapie HF lift. Both will get the job done. Needless to say, the pro lift is more substantial, and has a *much* better vise. The HF unit is adequate, though.. especially for small blocks. I wouldn't put a hawg on one, but I've had a couple of big block Guzzis without issue.  One thing I would do, though, is to have it before pouring the floor. I'd custom fit that sucker so there wouldn't be any gaps to stick a foot in and break an ankle, etc. when you're walking around thinking of something else.  :smiley: I hate gotchas on the floor.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Two things I like about mine --

First is the vise at the front end (opposite the ramp end).  I can clamp the tire (normally the front but sometimes the rear), and with the aid of a strap on each side, the bike is securely held vertically.

Second are the two 8" extensions, one on each side.  The surface of my Handy Lift sits about 7" above the garage floor.  I ride my heavier Stelvio up the ramp onto the lift ending up with the front tire in the opening of the vise (it is not clamped at this time).  The left extension allows me to put the side stand down and get off the bike without a lot of assistance.  The extensions also give me a lot of space for tools, removed parts, etc during the work.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
Hi Chuck, when you decide to roll that Big Girl up on the lift it really helps to put a sheet of 3/4" plywood under the ramp.  Then you are going up a shallower incline.  My Stelvio is a handfull when pushing it up the ramp without the plywood helper.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »
Hi Chuck, when you decide to roll that Big Girl up on the lift it really helps to put a sheet of 3/4" plywood under the ramp.  Then you are going up a shallower incline.  My Stelvio is a handfull when pushing it up the ramp without the plywood helper.  Peter Y. 

Peter,

I'm not strong enough to push a heavier bike like the Stelvio up onto the lift, I actually ride it up -- at a very slow pace.  A lighter bike (I also currently have a KLR-650) is easier for me to walk up onto the lift pushing and controlling the bike with the handlebars.

BTW, I hope to see you somewhere later this year, maybe Swampscooters.

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
The Handy lift is still one of the most popular lifts but much more expensive than the HF ones.  I got lucky and found a used one nearby but it still cost me $600.  I like having a cutout at the back of the lift for rear tire removal.

Here is my lift with my old Tiger 1050 on it.  The red square at the back lifts out and allows the tire to drop down so I don't have to try and twist it out of the swingarm.  When not in use the lift is pushed under the kayaks, pretty much out of the way and doesn't take up much space.  I have the side extensions for it but haven't used them, I'd keep them installed all the time if I didn't have to move the lift around the car hole when needed.  This is a B.O.B 1500 btw.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
https://titanlifts.com/motorcycle/titan-1500xlt-motorcycle-lift.html

I have a Titan lift.  1500# capacity, front and side extensions, air over oil lift, and an all around great table.  Not sure what they cost now, but I paid $800 at JP Cycle  few years ago.  Had a problem when new with the pump, but they overnighted a new one. Exceptional warranty service. I would highly recommend them.  Best tool I have ever purchased.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »
https://titanlifts.com/motorcycle/titan-1500xlt-motorcycle-lift.html

I have a Titan lift.  1500# capacity, front and side extensions, air over oil lift, and an all around great table.  Not sure what they cost now, but I paid $800 at JP Cycle  few years ago.  Had a problem when new with the pump, but they overnighted a new one. Exceptional warranty service. I would highly recommend them.  Best tool I have ever purchased.
[/quote,

Good to know that Titan backs up their stuff. I was thinking about Harbor Freight, but am fearful of the lack of support.

Also thinking about the smaller 600 pound lifts offered by makers. None of my bikes are heavy so those would be entirely adequate.  The only drawback is that the lighter lifts don't offer all the features of the heavy ones, like the rear wheel dropout portion.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
Got this pneumatic lift locally off a seller on Kijiji.

I welded on a 1/4" steel plate and made up a brace to support the V7.  It raises the bike almost chest height which makes working on the bikes easy.  Doing front and rear end service is a breeze because both wheels are free.

It is fiddly to position the lift under the bike and secure it, but the advantage is that I can store the lift out of the way.
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here