Author Topic: Does anyone know of a custom windshield manufacturer in washington?  (Read 3489 times)

Doppelgaenger

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a shop that would be able to help me make some prototype windscreens for the Breva 1100. I've got a decent idea of how to fix the inadequacies and would like the help of an expert in creating the shape I'm looking for.

Anyone have good experiences? Is there anyone in the greater seattle area?

canuguzzi

Re: Does anyone know of a custom windshield manufacturer in washington?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Good bet is to look up custom car glass shops. A lot of them also use polycarb for some installations and they will have the fab equipment to make just about anything. They might like the idea of doing something for a bike.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
That's a great suggestion, now the question becomes, does anyone know a reputable custom glass shop for cars? I'll take a good recommendation here over internet reviews every time.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »
I don't know WA glass shops, but even the little outfit in Sitka can cut me a m/c windscreen.  If it only needs simple curves (doesn't need complex contours in the poly sheet itself) it should be pretty basic to any shop.  I used to work at NW Technical Plastics in Kent (looooong time ago).  We'd take on all sorts of windscreen projects like helicopter bubbles, glider windows, and blast barriers.  Sometimes we were doing heat/vacuum fitting of poly panels over molds.  My old shop might not be in business any more, but a plastics fabricator is another option.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:05:41 PM »
Try these guys, I have bought a couple adjustable windshields off them for my KLR650's, they are open to making new products all of the time, great kit!

http://www.madstad.com/

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:41:37 PM »
The problem with Florida, is that it isn't in Washington.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »
 . . .but it's closer to Washington than you'd like it to be.   :laugh:

canuguzzi

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »
Do you have access to a heat gun? If so, get some thin acrylic, like the 1/16" stuff and experiment. It is easy and fun to do. You can start with the basic shape you have already.

1. Cover the basic shape you have with a release agent, wax works ok but they sell stuff for it at the plastics places.
2. Made a mold out of plaster of paris or whatever else they sell at the plastics shop. They have it.
3. Now you have a mold.
4. Heat the thin acrylic, best to use medium heat and high air volume.
5. When nice and flexible, overlay and form. Use gloves that are clean, might be warm. Knit cotton gloves from a garden shop work great. Cheap.

Now you have something you can reheat and contour as you like. Cut it, drill it, shape it, whatever.

Fun and easy. When you are close, then either plastics shop and make a nice one for you or they will know someone who can. They know, just ask.

No heat gun - oven.

1. Ask wife.
2. If wife says no, find custom shop, pay through nose and give wife receipt.
3. Run

If wife says okay:

Thank wife in whatever way she wants.

1. In the oven at recommended temp (plastic shop knows according to material)
2. Take out and place on mold you made.
3. Form.
4. continue on

It can be a lot of fun and is easy to do. You'll be surprise at how close you can get to what you want.

If you are doing a one-off just for yourself, then you can do it a few times and you'll have just what you want because you can build up the mold as you reheat and hand shape the thin plastic. Then move to heavier and you'll get to where you want to be.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:19:25 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:47:51 PM »
You should contact acrylic fabrication shops in the Seattle area. A quick search turned up plenty of large and small shops. Something like this is a start:

http://clearcutplastics.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:48:12 PM by Dimples »
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline DucatiSSsp

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
http://www.customclassicpaintworks.com/#!
Try contacting Russ Foy, if he does not do it, he would know who would.
'05 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha WR426F
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
'98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »
I must assume you are talking about Washington state, if so then. Contact companies that supply aircraft windows, they will be able to review your idea, and ether supply a prototype or suggest a supplier.

You may want to submit your plan to CeeBaily in So, Calif.

If you find a supplier and you feel that the idea is strong, provide the supplier with a non disclosure agreement and have it signed be fore work is performed. Photo copy and date your plan/outline it is then a copyright you own. You do not have to send it to yourself but have the document notarized/witnessed.

Good luck
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:52:25 AM »
I must assume you are talking about Washington state, if so then. Contact companies that supply aircraft windows...

Most suppliers handle certificated aircraft and can't help.

But you might look for those that make custom canopies for experimental aircraft. Having tried to find one in WA State, I had to go to CA for the closest shop. (Doesn't mean there isn't one around that can do it.)  Might find someone through the car racing crowd who makes custom windscreens.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »

1. Ask wife.
2. If wife says no, find custom shop, pay through nose and give wife receipt.
3. Run

If wife says okay:

Thank wife in whatever way she wants.

Got some experience do we?

I like the DIY approach, the question is how well will the thin acrylic hold up to riding while testing prototypes?

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
Got some experience do we?

I like the DIY approach, the question is how well will the thin acrylic hold up to riding while testing prototypes?

You use the thin material to make trial shapes. You can reheat and reshape till you get one you think is right and thenduplicate it with 1/4 or thicker. The idea is to avoid going back and forth to a shop at shop rates. With a little practice you can actually do the entire fab yourself.

The thin mmaterial is just much easier to start with and you can often get end cuts big enough to do what you want for free. That is how I make most of my plastic stuff, with free end cuts. Plastics are most often soldnby weight. So if you must pay for the R&D, go thin first to find the shape you think might work.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here