Author Topic: V7 Classic reflash ECU and Mistral Crossover Pipe questions.  (Read 9818 times)

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
V7 Classic reflash ECU and Mistral Crossover Pipe questions.
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:21:36 AM »
I`ve been using the search function on both of these topics and not coming up with the answers.

Lot`s of old posts about Todd reflashing the ECU but not who Todd actually is or how I get in touch with him?  :rolleyes:

I`m not going to start complaining g about the way the forum is laid out, it is what it is, I suppose and I`m sure you`ve heard it all before.

So, I have a twin throttle body 2009 Classic.

The stock pipes have been drilled through, it sounds nice, but I have read a few of posts about the Mistral Cross Over pipe.

I`ve seen them on the MG Cycles site, certainly not an expensive mod.

Is it possible to just bolt it straight on, or is it best to remap the bike?

If I just buy it and bolt it straight on, will it improve anything apart from the sound?

Who is Todd, where is Todd and how does he reflash the ECU?

Does he send you a map that you can flash into the bike yourself like Tune ECU with Trumph, or do you send your ECU to him?

Thanks in advance.

pete roper

Re: V7 Classic reflash ECU and Mistral Crossover Pipe questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 04:52:28 AM »
15MRC. No need to spend money on snake oil.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:00:40 AM »
To answer some of your questions, Todd is the  proprietor of Guzzitech.com both a forum and online parts supplier.

Guzzi being such a small manufacturer the aftermarket is pretty small limiting economy of scale and options for many things.

Can't tell you anything about an aftermarket crossover on the Smallblock except that it likely changes nothing but sound and looks.

15MRC. No need to spend money on snake oil.

I suspect that Pete is saying you don't need to pay for a reflash since you can use GUZZIDIAG (shareware), and the related map reader/writer along with some inexpensive appropriate OBDII cables to load a map (assuming Beetle or the like has made one for the 2TB V7).

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 06:41:27 AM »
I've got the same bike. The crossover eliminates the baggy intermediate muffler and makes it easy to access the gear box drain. Didn't have any effect on sound  or tune on my bike with stock mufflers. I do my own maintenance and change fluids more often than required, so worth the money for me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:43:35 AM by clubman »
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 06:41:27 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:48:42 AM »
I've got the same bike. The crossover eliminates the baggy intermediate muffler and makes it easy to access the gear box drain. Didn't have any effect on sound  or tune on my bike with stock mufflers. I do my own maintenance and change fluids more often than required, so worth the money for me.

Oh, that makes sense. That's why I changed the crossover on my Jackal many years ago.

Come to think of it the newer 1TB motors have a smaller crossover in the first place which makes access easier. So yeah, that alone would be motivation for me on a 2TB.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 06:55:00 AM »
Todd did a reflash on my 2013 V7R when I added Mistral mufflers and a SS crossover. It took two tries but the end result was very acceptable. My biggest issue was popping on decal and it now 99% gone. Todd will also ask you if you want the o2 sensor disabled.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 07:54:52 AM »
The previous method for re-flashing was for you to remove the ECU from the bike, send it in to Todd who would change the mapping tables on it.  Guzzitech now sells a reflashing tool that you use to manage your own map changes.
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
The previous method for re-flashing was for you to remove the ECU from the bike, send it in to Todd who would change the mapping tables on it.  Guzzitech now sells a reflashing tool that you use to manage your own map changes.

That was the main puzzle. Removing the ECU and sending it to the USA is not something I am keen on doing.

Thanks all of you who responded, that has pretty much answered all of my questions. I`ve already done an oil change, it was not something I found particularly difficult so I would not buy the crossover pipe just to make the rear drain plug easier to access and if there are no other benefits I don`t see the point in buying one.

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 04:09:47 AM »
I suspect that Pete is saying you don't need to pay for a reflash since you can use GUZZIDIAG (shareware), and the related map reader/writer along with some inexpensive appropriate OBDII cables to load a map (assuming Beetle or the like has made one for the 2TB V7).

I had no idea what Pete was saying either  :grin: but I`ve seen the GuzziDiag thread.

I`ve used TuneECU with various Triumphs, it`s not hard to put a map in, triumphrat.net has a whole board with tutorials on downloading it, using it and tuning with it but map sharing is the most popular way on that forum.

For example when I tuned my Bonneville I had created a map on the dyno to suit the particular set up, ie. air injection and o2 sensors removed, airbox restrictor plate removed, K&N filter and pipes fitted.

The finished map is a hex file which I shared by email etc with several other members all running the same set up and they have also shared it in turn.

So is it possible to get an "off the peg" map to suit an 09 V7 classic with pipes, that I can just download? Or do I need to create one from scratch?

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 05:10:47 AM »
When the Cat is still in, the engine holds backpressure. Is it running lean you think? You can check the plugs. Little people put the v7 on the dyno, but before changing anything, a baseline about how it is now would be good. Maybe spend a few $ and get a dyno with air fuel log to start with.   
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 07:02:24 AM »
When the Cat is still in, the engine holds backpressure. Is it running lean you think?

Yes, absolutely, I don`t need to check the plugs to know that. ALL bikes without a smart ECU will run slightly lean when you replace the stock pipes with aftermarket ones, until you remap or rejet the bike. Mostly at lower throttle openings and rarely enough to harm the bike.

Aftermarket pipes = popping on deceleration. This is the same with carburettor bikes, if you just bolt some pipes on, they will pop on deceleration until you put a bigger pilot jet in and/or raise the needle, to allow more fuel in at lower throttle openings.

Sorry to keep harping on about Triumphs but they are my main point of reference. If you buy a set of pipes for your Triumph, the dealer will download a new map, to give a slight power advantage and to make it rich in the lean spots that the pipes have now cause in the stock map. It`s mostly about fuelling but they also have different ignition maps too.

So, the Dealer will have access to four different maps for the Bonneville, stock, Triumph off road (Tors) Arrow 2-2 slip ons and Arrow 2-1 full system. These maps are also widely available online to users of Tuneboy or TuneECU. Now you might have a different set of pipes, like British Customs Predators for example, which don`t perfectly match any of these maps, but the dealer usually knows that the Arrow 2-1 map is the richest and most agressive and will be the closest to run with the predators. Likewise the TORS map will be closest to use with a pair of stock pipes that have been bored out.

So in 2 minutes you can load a pre set map to work with your pipes that is not going to be 100% PERFECT, like one created specifically for that bike on the dyno but it will be 95% perfect and certainly MUCH better than running with pipes and the stock map.

Typically, with one of these maps you`ll also get a 4-8hp increase (sometimes at the expense of a bit of midrange) more torque, better throttle response and no popping on decel.

In fact, running ANY one of those four maps with pipes is going to be better than running the stock map, because the bike will not be running lean. 

And it will also be much better than creating a map from scratch using guesswork to alter the fuel and ignition tables.

So, going back to the last unanswered question. I know there are not going to be any dealer maps available but is anyone sharing their own? Is there a map available anywhere for me to download using Guzzidiag that someone has created to make the bike run better with pipes, or does everyone just create their own map from scratch using guesswork and manually altering all the tables?

Anyone?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:03:15 AM by welshrob »

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:16:33 PM »
So, going back to the last unanswered question. I know there are not going to be any dealer maps available but is anyone sharing their own? Is there a map available anywhere for me to download using Guzzidiag that someone has created to make the bike run better with pipes, or does everyone just create their own map from scratch using guesswork and manually altering all the tables?

Anyone?

I`m bumping this from page 3 because I`m hoping deep down that someone IS actually able to answer it?  :laugh:

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
Most Guzzistas don't seem to want to fool around with modifying the fueling maps that come stock with the V7.  Instead, the most popular option is to purchase the map upgrade from a company like Guzzitech; the second most popular is to get the ECU upgraded at the dealer with the latest OEM map and live with it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:28:10 PM by rbm »
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »
Most Guzzistas don't seem to want to fool around with modifying the fueling maps that come stock with the V7.

Yes, that certainly seems to be the case!

Instead, the most popular option is to purchase the map upgrade from a company like Guzzitech;

Thanks for the info. I`ll join the Guzzitech forum!  :thumb:

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 06:03:01 PM »
Yes, that certainly seems to be the case!

Thanks for the info. I`ll join the Guzzitech forum!  :thumb:

For the Guzzitech money a local dynoshop can make one for your bike with your gas. And you still keep money in your pocket. 
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 06:47:08 PM »
Yes, absolutely, I don`t need to check the plugs to know that. ALL bikes without a smart ECU will run slightly lean when you replace the stock pipes with aftermarket ones, until you remap or rejet the bike. Mostly at lower throttle openings and rarely enough to harm the bike.

Aftermarket pipes = popping on deceleration. This is the same with carburettor bikes, if you just bolt some pipes on, they will pop on deceleration until you put a bigger pilot jet in and/or raise the needle, to allow more fuel in at lower throttle openings.

You've got some popular misconceptions in this post.

All OEM maps aren't lean EVERYWHERE in the map because emissions isn't regulated at all rpm/conditions.

Many OEM maps are lean at idle and other closed loop points but are rich (sometimes very much so) at open loop operation, especially acceleration/WOT.

This was true with carbs to when say a lean pilot jet was used with rich main for similar reasons.

Similarly whether or not an opened exhaust or airbox benefits from more fuel will friends l depend on how well those components are operating together. Just like straight pipes on a Harley actually hurt midrange, it all depends on pipe diameters, shapes, lengths, and if it's causing reversion.

Popping similarly may not be an indication that you need MORE fuel, as it may be caused by continued injection with closed throttle deceleration.

Anyway, not a lot of people play with the V7 tune because there's not much to gain with more significant changes. Also their efficiency tends to be part of the appeal and efficiency often tends to be the first casualty of remapping.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline minibrings

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 04:06:47 PM »
I`m bumping this from page 3 because I`m hoping deep down that someone IS actually able to answer it?  :laugh:

Im with you. Also hoping others can chime in with options other than Guzzitech. Todd basically told me he gets 1,000 emails a day and not to expect a reply to any email. I kid you not.

beetle

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
For V7 Classic owners, I've added the 15RC Lambda-Off-No-Pop map to my website as a free download.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »
For V7 Classic owners, I've added the 15RC Lambda-Off-No-Pop map to my website as a free download.

Does this applies to Stone as well or there would be a different map?
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »

Thanks for stopping by!  :thumb:

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

beetle

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »
Does this applies to Stone as well or there would be a different map?

The free download is for any twin throttle body V7 small block with the 15RC ECU.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:38:14 PM by beetle »

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »

The free download is for any twin throttle body V7 small block with the 15RC ECU.

How about for single throttle body? or does it not need?
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

beetle

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »
Single throttle body maps are available to purchase.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
Single throttle body maps are available to purchase.

Are your maps for the V7 II the same for the V7 III?
Do your maps changing timing as well as fuelling?

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

beetle

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »
I am yet to see a V7-III map. I expect the software will be similar to the V9, in such that it will be as different to the V7-II as the V7-II is different to the first generation single throttle body V7. If someone were to send me one I could see what's going on.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
For those with the pre-2013 bikes a programmable ECU is/was available from Australia: MyECU.   They have a forum where people post maps etc.  http://cajinnovations.com/yabb0/YaBB.pl

I've really enjoyed mine.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Wisconsinv7racer

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
That's Todd's automatic reply.  He's pretty much a one man operation and can't waste his time on questions that can easily be answered or already have been answered in the forums. Do some research don't just expect everyone too tell you what to do and don't believe everything people tell you.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »
That's Todd's automatic reply.  He's pretty much a one man operation and can't waste his time on questions that can easily be answered or already have been answered in the forums. Do some research don't just expect everyone too tell you what to do and don't believe everything people tell you.

I have had bad experiences with them.  Guzzitech is all about the $$$. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline fabrizioh

• New Egg
    • TwoToo's
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »

Hi Beetle! Thanks for this! Question, will this map work for all Guzzi V7's including current ones? I have a 2013 V7 and I just ordered the cables but I want to be sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot. If not, could someone point me in the right direction? GuzziTech seems great, but for me, I have a used V7 that cost me $3800, so paying $500 to fix the ECU, is pretty steep. I feel like this is more of a fix than a performance increase.
Meaning that the stock mapping with lighter and less restricting mufflers is almost unridable. THANK YOU

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
Beetle may be sleeping.  If you have a single throttle body the map won't work, it goes by which ECU that is on the bike. If you have 2 TB's it will work.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here