Author Topic: Riding a V7 Classic  (Read 14385 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Riding a V7 Classic
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
Right on Sailor, If I hadn't started out riding trials I'm a firm believer I wouldn't have near the riding skills, I cut my "riding teeth" on what we Ozarkians call "bowling ball rocks" our mountians aren't very high but the hollers are sure deep!

Motochick- I got to see Fleetwood Mac @ Redrocks in Colorado in 1980 WHAT A SHOW!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »
Obviously 3500 rpm is 3500 rpm regardless but it's also different depending on which gear you're in. I doubt seriously 3500 is too low rpm in any gear although in top gear it probably doesn't give snappy performance.

Now, if you are going uphill at 3500 and have the throttle cranked wide open to hold 3500 up the hill you are probably one gear too high and should downshift. If you are cruising down the road and have a handful of throttle left then 3500 should be fine. If/when I get a V7 I suspect I will almost exclusively be running 3000-5000 rpm except in 1st gear at walking speed when I am not up to 3k yet.

Good points, and to expound on them slightly - the rule of thumb is this. IF you open the throttle and she shakes and shudders instead of accelerating, you're lugging it.

Maybe you weren't a second before you opened the throttle, but you are at that point.

So as long as she feels like she can still pull you, then you're good. If not, downshift before accelerating.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 01:13:57 PM »
Highway 1 won't be a racetrack at this time of year, lots of tourists in RV's and such not will keep the speeds down.  Still worth if for the scenery alone.  Check the weather forecast for fog though, can be pretty chilly if the June gloom moves in.  On the other hand coming down 101 can be a ride in pretty high temps so its a toss up.  Last time I rode up to the Bay Area I got both, went 1 on the way up and had a great time but still caught fog in places and the temps dropped what seemed 25 deg. at least.  On the way back took 101 in 105 deg heat all the way, the Aerostich Roadcrafter suit I was wearing made it a bit warm.  Still fun though. 

All of highway 1 north of Morro Bay is great but for some reason I like the little bit from Half Moon Bay into San Francisco,  just because you are riding along and then boom!  here is the city right around a corner.

I live in Grover Beach just south of San Luis Obispo.  I do recommend the Taco Temple in Morro Bay for lunch if you need a place to eat while there.

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
Max torque on a 2010 V7 comes at 3,600 rpm. My Cafe would cruise very comfortably at 3,500 and pulled strong to 7,000. A steady 70-80 mph on the interstate was no problem for the bike, but I had a lot more fun on twisty back roads where the small block really comes into its own.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »

LDB

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »
The tortoise can look around a little bit and see the sights and the beauty during the journey. The hare must focus straight ahead to avoid disaster at speed.

nilknarf

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »
You just can't make a delicious statement like that then carry on the thread as if nothing happened.  We gotta have  :PICS!: :PICS!: :PICS!:

Nick

**C You won't get a picture but I'll describe the beast. I'm 6'1" but only wear a 30 inch inseam, my arm span is such that I had to give up boxing because I had such a reach advantage. I had to install the bar risers on my Bassa backwards to get the bars far enough away so I wasn't resting my elbows on my knees when I'm riding, and I'm absolutely crazy about bananas. I'm constantly asked to retrieve small kittens from places they've gotten into. Other than that I enjoy just "hanging out" with the crowd.  ;D ;D ;D  ~; ~; ~;

**C Dave  ;-T

P.S.
  I also used to have reddish brown hair before it turned the lovely shade of grayish red it is now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:57:53 PM by Dave Stiles »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
0oooooh, you have a black/gold V7 !!!   Very nice!   ;-T I have that same 750 motor.  It's power is linear from 2K to 8K, it's red line.  Only time I get around 7K-8K is when I need it's 100-105 mph top speed.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:07:34 PM by Arizona Wayne »

1911MotoChick

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
I've heard dirtbike riding is a good start before going street; I think it will be, a bike getting a little squirrelly isnt abnormal for me... my 230 wiggles quite a bit.

I'm getting so excited about this SLO trip!!  Sounds so gorgeous!  I love the drive down there, but the ride... I'm just daydreaming about it now (when I should be working!!).

I find riding so relaxing, I'm totally focused on what I'm doing, being very aware etc... it's not like I'm lollygagging on the bike or anything, but it's such a stress reliever!  I was stressed at work, big time, needed to run some errands, hopped on my bike and all that was gone, even after the ride...ahhhhhh!  Yesterday, we did errands around town and went to eat and just when you get back it's like you want to keep going!  And me and GF talk about the ride and reminisce about earlier that day!  Feel the same way after a good dirtbike ride for sure, but I love being able to just go out my garage and ride!!   ;D

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
I've heard dirtbike riding is a good start before going street; I think it will be, a bike getting a little squirrelly isnt abnormal for me... my 230 wiggles quite a bit.

I'm getting so excited about this SLO trip!!  Sounds so gorgeous!  I love the drive down there, but the ride... I'm just daydreaming about it now (when I should be working!!).

I find riding so relaxing, I'm totally focused on what I'm doing, being very aware etc...

Yup, when you're riding you don't have time to think about other things.  It's been my therapy for over 50 years.   ;-T

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
**C You won't get a picture but I'll describe the beast. I'm 6'1" but only wear a 30 inch inseam, my arm span is such that I had to give up boxing because I had such a reach advantage. I had to install the bar risers on my Bassa backwards to get the bars far enough away so I wasn't resting my elbows on my knees when I'm riding, and I'm absolutely crazy about bananas. I'm constantly asked to retrieve small kittens from places they've gotten into. Other than that I enjoy just "hanging out" with the crowd.  ;D ;D ;D  ~; ~; ~;

**C Dave  ;-T

P.S.
  I also used to have reddish brown hair before it turned the lovely shade of grayish red it is now.

Dave - perfect!  We can forgo the pictures - imagination's better anyway.  Great humour - thanks. I almost choked on my Salzburger Stiegl.  Now back to the V7 Classic...........

Nick

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »
Now that we know so much about you Dave, what's your "sign?"
Dave - perfect!  We can forgo the pictures - imagination's better anyway.  Great humour - thanks. I almost choked on my Salzburger Stiegl.  Now back to the V7 Classic...........

Nick
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

1911MotoChick

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »
Dave is exaggerating a bit about his simian appearance , he is a handsome fellow even though his hands do hang somewhere near his knees . I can't talk , my momma had to hang a pork chop around my neck to ... , well you know the story .
Dusty

Haha! 

cvcaelen

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »
You will have a great time on your V7Classic,
mine has passed the 50.000Km marker since last week !

And I'm just back from France, an 8 days camping trip,
That little V7 will take you anywhere, anytime:
enjoy the pictures :)

all loaded up (yep, that's me looking at my beauty):

The Vosges in the background:

Don't even be afraid of some off-road:

Enjoy the bike  :bike
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:32:22 AM by cvcaelen »

1911MotoChick

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
So gorgeous! (The bike and scenery!!)

How cool, I thought it felt like i could do light off road w/ my bike, glad to know it can!

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »
I have put 36,000+ miles on an '04 Breva 750 - the same engine & gearbox as in your Classic 750.

To your original question:
Any rpm between 3,500 and 7,000,  in any gear, for any length of time, is completely OK with the Guzzi 750 engine.
Between 4,000 & 5,500 is a particularly happy range of rpms for extended periods on the open highway.
In the city, use whatever gear is appropriate to the speed limit and traffic conditions to stay between 3,500 & 4,000 rpm.

I have accumulated much valuable info on Guzzi  750's in this text file:

http://dansher.com/bikepix/Guzzi/_V7_fyi.txt

Enjoy your new bike!

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here