Author Topic: Brown Sidestand on Early Tonti Guzzi - Installation with Photos  (Read 23792 times)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
I've been working with the guys at Boxerworks as they modify a Brown sidestand to fit a Tonti framed Guzzi. Brown's were developed as an answer to BMW's crappy stock stand, so why not modify one to replace Guzzi's crappy stock spring activated stand? Specifically I was looking for one to install on my V7 Sport. I've had one on my R75/5 for years and love it. Gotta give credit to Alex of 20th Century Cycles for doing this first. So here's the prototype, and some photos showing the installation.

The modified stand with new mounting plate -

The mufflers and crossover had to come off the V7 Sport.  The long rear engine mount that runs through the back of the tranny had to be reversed with the head to the right side of the bike. The left centerstand pivot bolt also has to be reversed as both screw into threaded holes on the mounting plate. I put a dab of blue loctite on the threads as the nuts are no longer necessary - there isn't enough room.

I then realized I had to install the crossover BEFORE the stand was bolted on, so off it came. Once the crossover was back on, the stand was mounted back up. Less room to work, but couldn't do it any other way. Other models may vary depending on type of exhaust, crossover, etc.

The pipes went back on, and the mounting plate pretty much dissappeared.  My suggestion is to trim down the bottom corners of the mounting plate to make an even more low profile.  The stand now sits below the muffler, just to the rear of the foot peg.  The sidestand has to be depolyed before the centerstand can come down. That is the natural order of things for me anyway. Bike on sidestand, dismount, then on centerstand (if needed). Or, feel confident leaving the bike on the sidestand. What a concept!

Anyone interested in purchasing one of these modified stands can contact Boxerworks direct. Nathan Mende at 706-310-0699, or cell at 706-614-4698. email: nathan@boxerworks-service.com. Be patient, the supply of Brown sidestands isn't what they want it to be. They buy in bulk, but availability isn't always there.  Ask Nathan about pricing.  Big thanks to Scott Miller for making this happen.

Cam

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:54:33 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
Re: Brown Sidestand on Tonti Guzzi - Installation with Photos
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
Thanks for that. I'm going to go out  the shop right now to eyeball the Brown on my /5, and see about making one of these up for my T3.

WitchCityBallabio

Re: Brown Sidestand on Early Tonti Guzzi - Installation with Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:48:41 AM »
Since my Cafe' doesn't have a center stand, do you see any issues with mounting this stand? On my stock stand, there's a little lug that sticks out of the frame and acts as a rest for the current kickstand.

Does this stand need a rest? Will it lay against the muffler, or does it have its own stop?

Doug

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »
Doug,

Look behind the rear engine/tranny mount. Does your bike have a tab where the center stand would bolt up?  If so, it should work. The stand its own stop, and hangs below and outboard of the muffler.  If interested, work with the guy at Boxerworks.  The design is still evolving.

Cam
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:52:43 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
It looks great! Nice and clean. Could maybe use a flat plate on the bottom for sand, gravel and hot asphalt parking lots.  ;-T
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
Cam, A project like this may go easier if you were to drink a nice Italian beer like Moretti while doing it.  :BEER:
Nice job though!
Joe Walano

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Looks like it tucks under the muffler nicely but is it easy to deploy? I assume you use the toe of the boot. Any concern about hitting the hot muffler with your boot?

Would have really liked that on the LMIV, which had a precarious sidestand that I rarely used.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline SPScottNT

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Mark,

The sidestand tucks under and is almost inboard of the muffler, possibly more so than the perspective in Cam's photo shows.  Its deployed from the saddle by 1) partially pushing down the center stand via the center stand tang which 2) catches the sidestand and swings it out at which point 3) you slide your foot off of the center stand tang and onto the partially deployed sidestand and complete deployment while the centerstand returns to its resting position.  With minimal practice this movement becomes fluid and is less complicated than I am making it sound. 

Thinking about Doug from above, without a center stand tang to catch and partially deploy the sidestand, the sidestand would be difficult to deploy from the saddle.  Also, the sidestand has a stop built in and does not contact the muffler.   

Scott

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
Here's a shot looking down on the muffler and stand.  It is mounted beneath, but angles outboard just enough to grab hold of the foot and deploy it.  Again, this may vary depending on type of pipes, etc.  I have the Repro Selentium Shark Gills on the Sport. The pivot point is directly underneath, then the length of the stand slightly angles outward. IMO, this is the perfect position.  Pressing down on the centerstand tang does not move the Brown - Just snag the foot and swing it out.  Anything is better than the stock stand's position up front.  I need to dismount the bike to fight with that.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
Cam, A project like this may go easier if you were to drink a nice Italian beer like Moretti while doing it.  :BEER:
Nice job though!

Either that, or I'd forget to tighten everything down like they do at the factory.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline SPScottNT

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »
Here's a shot looking down on the muffler and stand.  It is mounted beneath, but angles outboard just enough to grab hold of the foot and deploy it.  Again, this may vary depending on type of pipes, etc. 

I stand corrected.  What I wrote above regarding deployment goes for my SPNT and LM-3, the bikes on which we built the prototype.    But clearly, that is not the case with Cam's bike.  This now makes me think the stand may also work well on Doug's bike without a center stand.       

Scott

WitchCityBallabio

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
Looking at it, I think it will work fine too. I still have the holes/tabs from the center stand on the frame, so it should be easy enough to mount it. I'm gonna give them a call.

That retracting sidestand on it now is sketchy at best.

Thanks!

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
Looking at it, I think it will work fine too. I still have the holes/tabs from the center stand on the frame, so it should be easy enough to mount it. I'm gonna give them a call.

That retracting sidestand on it now is sketchy at best.

Thanks!

Doug,

At most you'll need a spacer inside the center stand tab for the bolt to run through. Trust me, Jacquie will love it.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

WitchCityBallabio

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 11:33:32 AM »
Hey Cam, any pictures of the bike sitting on the ground on the stand? I'd like to see the angle the bike leans at with this stand.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
Give me a few days to get it off the lift. Trying to squeeze in annual service in between pesky work days.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 01:22:41 PM »
Finally got the V7 Sport off the lift to try out the new stand.  It's easily deployed with my left heel while sitting on the bike. The "lean angle" is just right, pretty much the same as my stock Brown on the BMW.

And the stock stand has found its new home - right where it belongs!

If you have been wanting to ditch the stock stand on you're early Tonti framed bike, TRUST me this is the ticket.

Cam
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:23:18 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Guzzigary777

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 12:13:53 AM »
I would say this is perfect...except, in true Guzzi fashion, when I called Nathan at Boxerworks, he had a little bad news.  The product is great, BUT now they are having problems getting stands from Brown to make this little project happen.  So for now I sit here, cash burning a hole in my sweatty mitts, waiting on a reply from Nathan that they have received stands from Brown to in turn make the stand that will finally make my sp (and me) happy.  They say good things happen to those who wait, but still, I have my fingers crossed that this little project will finally get rolling.

Offline SPScottNT

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 07:03:40 AM »
Cam,

When you removed the stock stand, did you need any kind of spacer, bushing or washers to take up the space on the engine mounting bolt that was occupied by the stock stand bracket?  Or did were you able to bolt it back together as is?  Thanks.

Scott

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:32 AM »
 Hope they can get more stands, I would love to have on on my 77 LeMans.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »
Cam,

When you removed the stock stand, did you need any kind of spacer, bushing or washers to take up the space on the engine mounting bolt that was occupied by the stock stand bracket?  Or did were you able to bolt it back together as is?  Thanks.

Scott

Scott,

One more thick washer did the trick. I was also able to remove the front engine mount bolt without removing headers. The bolt head just clears.  I forgot to mention earlier, keep a scissor-jack under the sump while removing the long mount bolts. Easiest way.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
 Bump
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

dilligaf

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »
Before spending money on side stands I recommend you ask you self this question. Do I want to ride the motorcycle or do I want to park the motorcycle?  If park is the answer then, by all means get a large side stand but, should the answer be ride then chuck the side stand and lean the motorcycle on a tree. Be OK and much stronger than a side stand and cheaper.  ;D  ;-T  ~;  :BEER:
Matt

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
This Brown is not large, just good.  I RIDE the bike, but it doesn't deserve to be parked against a tree.  That's just stupid.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
Mine shipped yesterday!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

dilligaf

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
This Brown is not large, just good.  I RIDE the bike, but it doesn't deserve to be parked against a tree.  That's just stupid.

Cam
Never bothered me to lean mine against a tree or anything else I could find but then again, that was back in the days when I could actually ride and thing like that got in the way.  Didn't seem stupid to me but if parking the motorcycle is your thing well...........  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:30:36 PM by dilligaf »

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 10:31:01 PM »
Two questions; how much are they charging for this stand, and what determines an "early" Tonti? Is an '87 Tonti a "late" frame and therefore ineligible? I would love to find a better stand for the SPII.
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »
Go to top of this thread for Boxerworks' contact info.  Call Nathan and ask those questions.  Should work on your bike.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
Got mine, this thing is SWEET! It's gonna bolt right on and reach perfectly around the Lafranconi's on my LMIII!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
Two questions; how much are they charging for this stand, and what determines an "early" Tonti? Is an '87 Tonti a "late" frame and therefore ineligible? I would love to find a better stand for the SPII.
JD

A stock Browns stand is $140-150, depending on where you buy. This modified one, I have no idea, but certainly it won't be less.

I've run Browns on 3 BMW Airheads, with similar "spring-loaded" stands, and the improvement is amazing. ;-T
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Bob Mehmen

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
I moved my sidestand back on my SPII many years ago using the Mille bracket when they were still available. It is mounted in the same area as this. The problem I have is it mounted closer to the muffler and still scrapes on lefthanders. Have any of you ridden some tight turns and does it scape? I sure like the way it looks and want one if it doesnt wear away on the turns. Thanks.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here