Author Topic: Suzuki Van Van 200  (Read 3214 times)

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
Suzuki Van Van 200
« on: November 03, 2019, 08:38:14 AM »
Didn't really see this coming........well, sort of.  Spent 15 months researching the V 85 tt before taking delivery in July. Never studied any purchase more in my entire life.  Confidently proclaimed for all to hear that it was my final motorcycle purchase. (absolutely thrilled with the Guzzi by the way)  Within 4 months I bought this bike (which I didn't even know existed) after about 3 days of research once I discovered it.  Found a  2017 with 138 miles on it.  I have been wanting something bone stock simple, light weight, capable of two up with a comfortable seat,  with mild off road ability and can travel secondary roads at 60 mph, and had a retro look.  A bike I could easily roll up into the van by myself and be willing to load & unload without hassle or dread when on vacation/camping trips. This was the design brief, and this is my choice.  286 lbs wet/16 hp/FI/oil cooler/mega seat.  I know there are a lot of small bike choices, from a Honda Monkey to Kawasaki Versys 300 and everything in between.  This is what I wanted, with a little nostalgia vibe to go with it.  I have included a link to a video of a "gang" of guys in Spain that show what these little bikes are capable of.  Adventure riding is what you make it.  This will fill a fun two wheeled niche. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ca6MCp36s]

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
Re: Suzuki Van Van 200
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 08:59:29 AM »
I bought a van van for my girlfriend when she was learning to ride.she had since moved on to a can am, she never was comfortable on two wheels being only 5'4"120 lbs. I put the majority of the 3000 miles on before selling. Although it was fun on hard packed forest roads I ride , it was not much fun on the highway, I know it's only 200 cc but was grossly underpowered , and it was terrible in the mud with those balloon tires, but I must say it was the most comfortable seat I have ever rode on.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »
Having trouble attaching link.  Google:  Suzuki Van Van OffRoad: Monegros Desert to see video.

Again.  I bought it for a specific reason.  Riding on the highway is not one of them.  Back roads at 45 mph -55 mph is.  Mild off road camping trips.  Watch the above video.  It is capable of that.  That is what I wanted.  I have a DR 350 for serious off road.  That is not what this bike is all about.  I also know that at what age you are will factor into this bike as well.  I am 68 and wanted something to fill a very specific little niche.  If I was 20 -50 yrs of age, I probably wouldn't give this bike a second look.  Different periods of life take you on different journeys.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »
I bought a van van for my girlfriend when she was learning to ride.she had since moved on to a can am, she never was comfortable on two wheels being only 5'4"120 lbs. I put the majority of the 3000 miles on before selling. Although it was fun on hard packed forest roads I ride , it was not much fun on the highway, I know it's only 200 cc but was grossly underpowered , and it was terrible in the mud with those balloon tires, but I must say it was the most comfortable seat I have ever rode on.

Van Van’s and TW200’s are great in the mud and especially good at tracking across side hills.  I had a TW that I spooned a Shinko 244 on the front and a Cerros ATV tire on the rear and it turned into an unstoppable machine. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
JohninVT:  Thanks for info on tire choice.  I am just beginning to compile options of what is available if I decide down the road to change things up.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
As an "around-town-tiddler", I like the Van-Van a lot...but the DR200 might be a more practical choice (IMHO) :thumb: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »
I was not trying to discourage anyone from the van van it's a fun little bike in its own environment.in fact if I didn't have to many projects , I probably would have kept it and put different tires on it. That being said I see a lot of used ones for sale for dirt cheap.

Offline Italianmotofest

• New Egg
    • Mid-Atlantic Italian Motorcycle Festival
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »

Me too!

I bought a VV this summer. What a nice little bike. And I picked the VV for the exact reasons you stated.

A MAJOR advantage the VV has over most other dual sports is the seat height. Some of use are old. Some of us are short. And some are old AND short.

Use it for the intended purpose and you’ll love it.

Bill
Bill

Some might say that you are just too much.
Those are not your people!

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »
Evening Bill:  Just got done looking at some photos from Advrider:  VanVans in the Valleys in Wales.  Goes back a few years, but the Brits have had access to these bikes long before us.  Looks like a group of 8 guys getting together all on Van Vans and just enjoying themselves immensely. I actually have to make a road trip and pick mine up, but looking forward to this little sherpa joining the herd. 

Offline Italianmotofest

• New Egg
    • Mid-Atlantic Italian Motorcycle Festival
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 07:55:53 AM »
Evening Bill:  Just got done looking at some photos from Advrider:  VanVans in the Valleys in Wales.  Goes back a few years, but the Brits have had access to these bikes long before us.  Looks like a group of 8 guys getting together all on Van Vans and just enjoying themselves immensely. I actually have to make a road trip and pick mine up, but looking forward to this little sherpa joining the herd.

Tommy, I’ll check out those pics.
I actually bought my VV on ADV. I drove about three hours each way to pick it up. It was worth the drive.

Bill

Some might say that you are just too much.
Those are not your people!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
 My Van Van has been pulling a cargo sidecar that also carries my wheelchair for over two years now dependably. 55 MPG.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 08:28:17 AM »
Jim:  If that little 200 cc moves you, a sidecar, and your  wheelchair,  that is pretty impressive.  Love to see a pic if you have a few.  Thanks.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »
Yep.  Suzuki builds its own version of the TW200.  The Suzuki might be a little more aesthetically pleasing to some, but I was shocked to learn how similar it is to the TW.  Suzuki has made other "Van Van" fat tire trail bikes, but the TW has remained largely unchanged since 1987.  I really dig my '89 TW.  It gets plenty of seat time on road and off!
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 11:08:24 AM »
Of course...for a LOT more money...one could consider THIS little gem stone coming soon!! :thumb: :cool: :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »
The KTM 390 Adventure has been long awaited.  It will be a fantastic bike.  But outside of the purview of my goal of a simple, user friendly, lightweight, capable two up, low comfortable seat with mild off road capabilities bike.  At $6200 plus tax, destination & dealer prep, the KTM will be north of $7K which is way more than double of what I bought a pristine 138 mile 2017 VV for.  It is also 66 lbs heavier.  That is the problem with buying something small like the VV, you really have to be all in on the concept.  If you start down the slippery slope of "well, for this much more money I could get this", it isn't too long before you are in another place completely from whence you started.  I wanted an analogue hammer, not a digital Leatherman tool. 

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »
They are awesome bikes, we almost bought a couple of these, but then we decided on the Twin Super Cubs instead.  Have a friend that has one and he LOVES it!  Small bikes are fun!

Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »
Well. you meet the nicest people on them, or so Honda says.  Thanks for the reply.  Small bikes have their place, they are a bit of a grin maker.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »
They are awesome bikes, we almost bought a couple of these, but then we decided on the Twin Super Cubs instead.  Have a friend that has one and he LOVES it!  Small bikes are fun!

Thank you...can I have ONE of EACH please?!? :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :thumb: :cool: :boozing:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

pete roper

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 05:29:52 AM »
It's really hard to go past those Hondas. Brilliant marketing and so much communality with other bikes like the Grom. I'm waiting for the CT though. If I could put a deposit down now I would. "Shut up and take my money!"  :evil:

Pete

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 06:29:27 AM »
It's really hard to go past those Hondas. Brilliant marketing and so much communality with other bikes like the Grom. I'm waiting for the CT though. If I could put a deposit down now I would. "Shut up and take my money!"  :evil:

Pete

Have you seen the Super Cub in person?  They're even nicer than the photos.  I'm waiting for the CT too.  The "concept" bike that's floating around is production ready and I'm surprised Honda hasn't already announced it officially. 

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »
Differences between van van ant Tw200.
 1. A real saddle,  this cannot be compared with the TWs at all. I can ride hours without pain.
  2. 520 chain & sprockets , a big plus
  3. better handlebar position
 4. rubber covers on footpegs
 5. fuel injection -- no fussing with jets,  touch the starter and it goes without hesitation and idles correct , even when cold.
 all this and the same top speed- and I have had NO starter or lighting problems in more than 2 years of riding it
 If I were only doing off road, the TW would be the choice as it is a little bit tougher in the rough and there
 are myriads of aftermarket things available for it.  BTW, I have owned three TWs in the past
 , So I can make the comparisons based on over the road over the trail usage.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

pete roper

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Have you seen the Super Cub in person?  They're even nicer than the photos.  I'm waiting for the CT too.  The "concept" bike that's floating around is production ready and I'm surprised Honda hasn't already announced it officially.

Saw a Super Cub in a shop in Canberra. This was a few days after I think Lannis had described one as 'Jewel like' and it was certainly very impressive.

Yup, the CT pics look like it's ready to go. The only thing that annoys me is that it doesn't have the Super Cub's chain case! How stupid is that? I'm hoping though that the mounting points will still be on the swingarm so I could simply buy a Cub one, paint it, and bolt it on.

Pete

Offline fishbulb

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 05:07:50 PM »
I didn't see this coming at all. I read your post and went right down to a dealer to look at one.  Never heard of them before this.  Now I'll put my Versys on the market to get one. Just something about them that you either love or don't get at all. Thanks for posting. 
Tod

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 05:29:24 PM »
Hi Fishbulb:  Made me laugh.  Your first sentence is of course the same as my opening line.  I know.  This little bike just kinda came out of nowhere.
If one of the posts is true, 2019 may be the last year they bring them to the USA.  And maybe once stock is sold out they will bring some more in the future.
I have heard mandatory ABS in some markets may stop it from being imported.  Could be one of those things if you want one, you should probably just do it.
It just makes me grin, and for a pretty low entry fee for a barely run 2017.  Enjoy! :thumb:

Offline fishbulb

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
tommy2cyl,  I'm getting older and the Versys is feeling a little tall in the saddle.  I keep it down in the Blue Ridge mountains to ride the Parkway so I'm thinking the Vanvan would comfortably do 50 mph on a road like that.  You think?
Tod

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »
50 MPH on the parkway would be ideal for the VanVan. Super comfortable saddle and 70-75 MPG.

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
Fishbulb:  What size Versys?  I have 2008 650 that I have owned for 7 years.  Has been a great bike but I have it sold to a friend of mine.  Really trying to streamline what I want to keep and I think I will be down to the V 85 & the VV 200.  Still on the fence if I sell the DR 350.  I can put that decision off for awhile.

Offline fishbulb

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
Fishbulb:  What size Versys?  I have 2008 650 that I have owned for 7 years.  Has been a great bike but I have it sold to a friend of mine.  Really trying to streamline what I want to keep and I think I will be down to the V 85 & the VV 200.  Still on the fence if I sell the DR 350.  I can put that decision off for awhile.

650 Versys, 2012.  Nicely done up, Ohlins, Arrow etc.  What a great little engine.  I like it even better than my 2000 SV I had.  Lots of travel which makes it a little taller than I want now.

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »
My 650 had the lowering link and a Terry Adkins seat.  I have a 30 inch inseam and it fit perfectly.  Agree with you on the sweet motor and the Versys is the easiest steering bike I have ever owned.  Just not enough bike to tour on for me, I never put any money in the suspension and it is a little harsh in stock form.  I owned a 2002 VStrom DL 1000  for 16 years, which was my long haul bike.  Sold it last year and really was looking for something that would be a combination of it and the Versys.  Enter the V 85. That bike came along at the perfect time.  Now that slot is filled,  I sold the Versys.  I want to get down to just 2 bikes, and if the VV ends up being what I hope it will be, then the DR 350 will go to a new home.  Downsizing is a difficult proposition, but I only want to maintain 2 bikes now. Interesting how often on this forum so many of us own the same bikes other than MG's.

Offline fishbulb

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
My 650 had the lowering link and a Terry Adkins seat.  I have a 30 inch inseam and it fit perfectly.  Agree with you on the sweet motor and the Versys is the easiest steering bike I have ever owned.  Just not enough bike to tour on for me, I never put any money in the suspension and it is a little harsh in stock form.  I owned a 2002 VStrom DL 1000  for 16 years, which was my long haul bike.  Sold it last year and really was looking for something that would be a combination of it and the Versys.  Enter the V 85. That bike came along at the perfect time.  Now that slot is filled,  I sold the Versys.  I want to get down to just 2 bikes, and if the VV ends up being what I hope it will be, then the DR 350 will go to a new home.  Downsizing is a difficult proposition, but I only want to maintain 2 bikes now. Interesting how often on this forum so many of us own the same bikes other than MG's.

I'm trying to get down to 3 bikes but am having trouble doing it.  I have my Griso, a Bonneville Bobber, a W650 and the Versys.  It never occurred to me that a lowering link for the Versys existed given the linkless shock mounting.  I don't have any touring desire but rather back roads fun a couple of hours at a time.  Maybe the common link with many of us sharing the same bikes is we figure one or two cylinders is enough.  Forget that, I love triples too. Cheers mate.
Tod

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here