Author Topic: Golden Age of Motorcycles?  (Read 1298 times)

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
Golden Age of Motorcycles?
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »
In the winter one contemplates.  Is this the Golden Age for MC?  Me thinks it is.  Personally, I was waiting for the gap to be filled in the middle weight adventure touring segment (650-900 cc). Now with the the V 85, KTM 790's, Tenere 700, & Norden 901 on the way, there is adequate coverage.  Some would argue there is a gap between 400-600 cc, twin cylinder dual sport/adventure unicorn.   Pretty small sliver of a sliver, but sure, a few offerings in that zone would be appreciated by some.  However, overall, big picture, could one really want for anything the market place doesn't offer.  The choices in virtually every category are staggering.  And now, with the rapid pace of electric bike propulsion advancement,  the pendulum is going to inevitably swing in that direction.  So, not interested in a discourse of carb vs FI, ABS, traction control etc, electronic wizardry, Luddite vs Digital.  Just interested if, in general, one stands back and takes a broad view of the world of two wheel transportation and the rapid changes on the horizon, could this be the zenith of our offerings?

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
Re: Golden Age of Motorcycles?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:54:27 AM »
...and we also have the wonderful bike's of the past; made into viable options by the internet. I have yet to identify a part that I can't find for my '71 Triumph. It was the same with my '60 BMW. We bike enthusiasts find ourselves with a brilliant selection of new machines, leftover machines, and also the stand-outs from the past selling for bargain-basement prices. For the first time in my life, I have 5 bikes! A Golden Age, indeed.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:12:00 AM »
If one is looking to add to ones collection, it is. Great deals on used bikes abound.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »
Just at the time when popularity/interest is falling among younger people.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
Completely agree Tommy.   The ease of ownership, pretty much ride and forget about.  Just do normal up keep, which is far less than years gone by.   Power, breakers, tires are amazing!   It’s pretty much that way for cars and anything using an IC engine.  Just like propeller fighters, that got really good, right before they were gone.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:00:01 AM »
...and we also have the wonderful bike's of the past; made into viable options by the internet. I have yet to identify a part that I can't find for my '71 Triumph. It was the same with my '60 BMW. We bike enthusiasts find ourselves with a brilliant selection of new machines, leftover machines, and also the stand-outs from the past selling for bargain-basement prices. For the first time in my life, I have 5 bikes! A Golden Age, indeed.

Indeed, the ease with which I can buy NOS and used parts for my 90s bikes, including Guzzis but particularly Ducatis, is phenomenal.  It makes maintaining them a relatively easy ‘buy it now’ proposition.  The significant downside is that it’s killed off the small, European motorcycle shops that were thriving in my area 20-25 years ago, and the scene as a result is not even close to what it was.  In my world the late 90s was the golden age in every respect, bikes included, except for internet parts availability and the current inexpensive availability of clean, used bikes... I’m up to nine, there’s a lot more out there but I’ve reached my limit!

Same thing in a lot other places where the European bike scene was exploding in the 90s and the bikes were great, San Francisco comes to mind.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:11:28 AM by Tusayan »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
This is most certainly an awesome time for owning and enjoying just about everything about motorcycling. For all the reasons mentioned above. Yes, the motorcycle market is changing but that's perfectly normal. We're at a time when the products, the selection, and the serviceability have all never been better. Companies that couldn't or wouldn't adapt to market trends have always found themselves in varying degrees trouble. Which makes room for other companies to get noticed who pay closer attention to the desires of the market.     

That being said, there are very few new motorcycles from any manufacturer that I want. I find myself considering something like an old school Honda or Triumph powered chopper than just about anything new at the dealers. 

Offline jared p

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »
For the sake of discussion, how are you defining "Golden Age"? In terms of technology, this is the best it's ever been. In terms of design, debatable, and I'd probably say no. Performance? Best it's ever been, but I can argue that I'm not a fan of that overall. Reliability? Questionable but arguably some of the best it's been. Widest range of options? Depends on what country you live in and what role emissions regulations take place in restricting options. Bikes are coming back that already were 30 years ago. Prices now are I think unsuitably high, but are quite a bit better than ever before but, I don't think it's worth the cost. Availability? Of everything, is fantastic. You can get whatever you could want almost at any time, price or level of quality.

Luckily the thing about a Golden Age is that, it is usually considered to be in the past, so truly, only time will tell.
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say many of today's bikes are a royal PITA compared to, say 10 or more years ago.  This is primarily due to ever tightening emission standards and modern motorcycle fuel injection systems.  I've yet to ride a motorcycle made in the last year or two (I was going to say FI motorcycle, but they are all fuel injected at this point!) that runs properly without surging under light throttle.  Nothing aggravates me more than coasting through town on one of my bikes, only to feel it hunt and surge lightly (and some not so lightly) around the 3500 rpm spot.  I suppose it's the bike's ECM trying to decide between the closed loop map and open loop map.  Newer bikes with O2 sensors are the worst.  I've had to spend a lot of money over the last few years trying to get my FI bikes to run like a good carbureted motorcycle used to.  Race ECU's, O2 manipulators, O2 by-pass connectors, etc.  I once bought a 2007 Honda VFR in anniversary colors because I liked the look.  I thought, it's a Honda, they'll have it figured out.  WRONG! The bike was almost unridable in the 3000 to 3500 rpm range.  I offered anyone $100 if they could hold the tach at 3000 rpm.  It was impossible.  The rpms would wander all over the place.  I was going to get rid of it until I learned of a tip, just disconnect the O2 connectors and insert a 300 ohm resistor to fool the ECM.  The bike was transformed...no more surge!  So, to make a long story short...no, I do not think this is the golden age of motorcycles...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:48:48 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
These are likely the "Golden Years" of motorcycling. We're not bringing in much new blood.   The "Golden Age", I'd put that in the mid 70's thru the end of the 80's. Sales were 5X what we have today and the bikes were (mostly) functional and reliable,
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:56:28 PM by oldbike54 »
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »
The Golden Age of Motorcyclists was likely the '60s-'70s.  The Golden Age of Motorcycles is now.

The bikes are better than ever and the old bikes are restored and available.  Take your pick. 

OTOH, fewer riders and interest now.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 01:56:21 PM »
Disagree. Gone are the bikes that will ALWAYS get you home. With all the electronics and crap on them these days, if it stops your stuck. Has happened to me with electronics. The ONLY bike that has ever left me stranded was due to electronics. Carbs and points will always get you home one way or another.

And weight, really need 600lbs or more? And seat height, my old DT250 was more fun on the trail than my XR650 Honda, just due to seat height. Just getting them started, kickstarters were the savior, not to be seen for many years now.

IMO, end of the golden age was the very early 90's. Personally I like the 60's and 70's.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »
Disagree. Gone are the bikes that will ALWAYS get you home. With all the electronics and crap on them these days, if it stops your stuck. Has happened to me with electronics. The ONLY bike that has ever left me stranded was due to electronics. Carbs and points will always get you home one way or another.

And weight, really need 600lbs or more? And seat height, my old DT250 was more fun on the trail than my XR650 Honda, just due to seat height. Just getting them started, kickstarters were the savior, not to be seen for many years now.

IMO, end of the golden age was the very early 90's. Personally I like the 60's and 70's.

You can't get a DT250 anymore?  OK, maybe a 360 or 400 would suffice?

https://www.cycletrader.com/Yamaha-Dt-250/motorcycles-for-sale?make=yamaha%7C2321194&model=Dt%7C764948809&trim=250%7C3634&modelkeyword=1
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
Every day I can ride is golden. 

Things used to be different. ALL Cash. Way Cheaper old bikes.  no Internet.. Now the $200 V7 Sports, Norton Comandos and 750 Roundcase Ducatis are largely a thing of the past (although we did buy a $325 750 Commando 4-5 yrs ago that ran great with a carb swap & battery)  but there's so many used post-1990 bikes on the market that most prices are still doable.  Still, I wish I'd kept my nice running 95 900SS that I got for $235.00....

Tomorrow might be better or worse than today.   Motorcycles are always about the right now, not the past or future.

Every day I can ride is golden.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:26:11 PM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 06:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the interest in this topic.  So many angles and viewpoints.  Fantastic.  One's perception is always based on one's experiences, and the older you are the more experiences and knowledge you have.  I have been primarily an adventure type bike guy for the last 20 years.  Which are basically  the new UJM bikes from the past with a few upgrades.  The pros and cons of newer machines are all valid.  I guess my take on the topic has to do with the pace of development of electric bikes and the impact that is going to have on IC motorcycles.  Will there be fewer offerings of the IC bikes with the increase of electric?  Will there be just as many IC bikes but increasing numbers of electric?   I think electric bikes will be a great option for trail riding/off road.  They are quiet which fits in well with the nature we are riding in. Produce a lot of torque for climbing.   Certainly nicer for other people enjoying the outdoors that don't want their experience impinged upon by a motorcycle with a loud aftermarket pipe.  Also, while sales are down in the USA, not so in other parts of the world, especially the Pacific Rim.  Just think of the collective knowledge of IC mechanics, tuners, designers, racers, and how over time that will change and slowly fade away.  Now the young guys plug in their laptops and reprogram fuel mapping, suspension settings, etc.  Interesting times.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 09:37:12 PM »
     For an owner who wrenches or is forced to wrench, I think this is the Golden age of Motorcycles;

I'm not a mechanic, but with this new information age connecting owners, enthusiasts and experts from around the world, I can do a reasonable imitation of someone that knows what they're doing, if I'm careful and patient.

Whether it's the wet sump/old carb issues on my SR500; or the NSU, primary nut,& output shaft seal issues on my DR650 or a variety of issues on my Guzzis, the information and answers are out there, if you want to take good care of your bike and make it a reliable enjoyable ride.

Some of the foibles that modern digital electronics and over engineering can cause aren't my idea of Golden, but I'm gradually losing my fear and paranoia of all ECU & EFI systems, but I tend to gravitate towards simpler engineering, air cooled, smaller simpler valve trains and the minimal electrics required to keep it all working well are just fine for me, fwiw imho.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
I've owned bikes built from 1960 to 2016, but a Honda '81 CB750F was the only bike that stranded me on the road; and it did it twice. Both times it was electrical and both times it was impossible to repair on the roadside (burned fusible link and a stator failure). I was not able to get reliable service from that bike until I re-jetted. It was ridiculously lean.

On the other hand, I put an aftermarket muffler on my '16 BMW and the exhaust power valve compensated for the increased flow perfectly. No popping on deceleration, no stumbling off-idle, and no change in fuel mileage. The safety features make it great for this aging rider, too...particularly when I am in unfamiliar environs.

If you want to see younger people who are really into bikes, check out an old Britbike outfit like The Bonneville Shop or Baxter Cycle. There are young folks there who absolutely love motorcycles...espec ially really cool vintage ones.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
These are likely the "Golden Years" of motorcycling. We're not bringing in much new blood.   The "Golden Age", I'd put that in the mid 70's thru the end of the 80's. Sales were 5X what we have today and the bikes were (mostly) functional and reliable,

X2
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here