Author Topic: Long hot ride on the Racer  (Read 3269 times)

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
Long hot ride on the Racer
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:38:16 AM »
OK, this is subjective but for me it was long (350 miles round trip) and hot (91) and very humid. Not sure what the heat index was but probably high nineties or 100s. I wouldn't have done the ride had I not scheduled a visit to Rose Farm for a tire change and fuel map update. Oh and there was the whole manhunt for cop killers going on just a stone's throw away. Fortunately there were no major lane closures and I made good time on the slab keeping it at 80-85. The V7 didn't complain a bit, my neck and legs on the other hand were ready for a break. It wasn't my favorite ride being on super slab most of the way and hot, but it was an enjoyable visit with Jim and time well spent for new rear rubber and the fueling update. Check that off the list.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Long hot ride on the Racer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
OK, this is subjective but for me it was long (350 miles round trip) and hot (91) and very humid. Not sure what the heat index was but probably high nineties or 100s. I wouldn't have done the ride had I not scheduled a visit to Rose Farm for a tire change and fuel map update. Oh and there was the whole manhunt for cop killers going on just a stone's throw away. Fortunately there were no major lane closures and I made good time on the slab keeping it at 80-85. The V7 didn't complain a bit, my neck and legs on the other hand were ready for a break. It wasn't my favorite ride being on super slab most of the way and hot, but it was an enjoyable visit with Jim and time well spent for new rear rubber and the fueling update. Check that off the list.

I find that when I'm just droning down the slab, things like heat and cold and sore muscles bother me a LOT more than when I actually have something to DO on the bike, like paying attention to twisty roads and absorb nice scenery through my peripheral senses.

Sometimes you have to do it (like getting there and back again in a day to save a motel room), but I hate it.    I generally take the "smaller" roads when I can .... you can still feel the heat and cold but they're not #1 on your sense priority list ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »
I guess we were lucky, only 180 miles round trip today to get the service light shut off on Jenn's Duc and the map update on my V7.

It was 74°F when we set out, 89°F when we got there, and 96°F by the last hour on the way home.

But much of the afternoon we ran along the Delaware river in the shade which was keeping it just under 90°F.

Yeah I'm a little wiped, but I feel bad for Jenn who came home only to run to the hospital for an overnight 14 hour shift.

Like you though the V7 was flawless.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
It wasn't my favorite ride being on super slab most of the way and hot, but it was an enjoyable visit with Jim and time well spent for new rear rubber and the fueling update. Check that off the list.

I know our friends in the desert may laugh, but it really was a miserable day to ride here in the Midwest. I (literally) feel your pain.
But I hope Jim's little Shop Dog is nicer to you than he ever has been to me...
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:36:11 PM »
Must have been nice to get home to Appleton.. right in the center of Gods country isn't it?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

lucydad

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
Ton,

Yep, that is a long hot boring ride.  Do that frequently here.  Hoping for some decent (not rain) riding weather here Sun-Mon.  Friday and Saturday are 1) re-carpeting entire house 2) alzheimer's care and 3) Alzheimer's clinic closing late Saturday (after over 3 weeks).

Fall is coming  in about six weeks.

Life is looking up. 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 09:53:29 PM »
I feel so sorry for some of you guys who live in places where the roads are so dull. I rode 270 miles of farm country and twisty roads yesterday. Ended up at a Rt.66 watering hole on the Gasconade River @ Devil's Elbow called the Elbow Bar. The ceiling of the place is covered with bra's (it's a classy joint). Tis a privilege to live in the Ozarks! :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
I feel so sorry for some of you guys who live in places where the roads are so dull. I rode 270 miles of farm country and twisty roads yesterday. Ended up at a Rt.66 watering hole on the Gasconade River @ Devil's Elbow called the Elbow Bar. The ceiling of the place is covered with bra's (it's a classy joint). Tis a privilege to live in the Ozarks! :thumb:

We actually do have nice roads in WI but I needed to get there and back in the most efficient way possible and unfortunately that meant the interstate. As a general rule I avoid the interstate like the plague for a myriad of reasons. My estimate for time spent on road types would be: Interstate 10%, County Rd/highway 70%, city/urban 20%.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

lucydad

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
Ton,

I spend about 50% of my riding time on interstates or similar to go either NW or SE for better riding.  Twists and moderate topography are all NW towards TEXAS hill country.  SE is to Mother Ocean.

Fall is coming in about six weeks.  That means prime riding, if it is not a wet winter.  We ride year round, a plus of this climate.

I plan a "triple fest" with BIL and nephew in San Antonio sometime this fall.  We all have 3 cylinder bikes and I can slum with BIL in Bulverde and try some of the local fantastic roads.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here