Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Rich A on March 08, 2019, 12:34:55 PM

Title: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Rich A on March 08, 2019, 12:34:55 PM
I reused the valve cover gaskets for my Bassa too many times. The gaskets got stuck onto the covers and I've had to use multiple applications of gasket remover, which has to be toxic, and do a fair amount of scraping to get them off.

Don't do this!

Rich A
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: LowRyter on March 08, 2019, 02:55:29 PM
valve cover gaskets .....    :thewife:
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: twowings on March 08, 2019, 02:57:23 PM
Extreme Guzzi Content!  :bow:
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on March 08, 2019, 03:02:48 PM
Using a heat gun or propane torch, heat the rocker cover until the gasket bubbles and/or smokes. They scrape off easier while "hot".
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: bigbikerrick on March 08, 2019, 03:55:51 PM
I have had good luck with the green thicker gaskets, greasing them when first installing. The  cheaper black thinner gaskets dont hold up very well for me. Some day I am going to try the silicone gaskets on the Guzzis that need valve adjustment,
Rick.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Vagrant on March 08, 2019, 04:12:38 PM
green ones sprayed with Pam.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: ken farr on March 08, 2019, 04:53:11 PM
green ones sprayed with Pam.

....one of those, HEY, why didn't I think of that..... :bow:


kjf
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Perazzimx14 on March 08, 2019, 05:22:25 PM
What gasket remover did you use. If it’s Permatex gasket remover you might as well used distilled water.

Aircraft paint stripper is what you need to chemically remove dried on gaskets.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: roadscum on March 08, 2019, 05:32:06 PM
It's been said that the cheapest thing on a Guzzi is the nut on the seat.  Hmmm, maybe it's the truth. :evil:

Paul
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Rich A on March 08, 2019, 05:33:15 PM
What gasket remover did you use. If it’s Permatex gasket remover you might as well used distilled water.

Aircraft paint stripper is what you need to chemically remove dried on gaskets.

Permatex--it's an old can and has the methylene chloride. Still took multiple applications to get the baked on gaskets off. In fairness, those gaskets were probably on the bike for over 50K mi and only seeped a tiny bit.

Rich A
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Perazzimx14 on March 08, 2019, 05:47:18 PM
Permatex. In fairness, those gaskets were probably on the bike for over 50K mi and only seeped a tiny bit.

Rich A

A long time ago Permatex took methylene chloride out of their formula and not it is truly is as worthless as pouring distilled water on an old gasket hoping it'll dissolve or loosen.

There are still chemical gasket removers out there that contain methylene chloride like 3M gasket chisel. But its expensive and hard to find. Fortunately every auto parts store or Walmart in North America have "Aircraft paint stripper" that contain  methylene chloride that eats away in short order old gaskets. The gel is the best spread it on with  Q-tip or flux brush and it stays put. Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe the old gasket away. Repeat a time or 2 more for really stubborn baked on pieces.

 
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Chet Rugg on March 08, 2019, 05:54:12 PM
tried them silicone gaskets once. I didn't like them at all. torque um down swishy out is all I can report.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: twowings on March 08, 2019, 05:55:21 PM
Trust me, you're MUCH  better off with leaky gaskets than inhaling methyl chloride...ain't worth it....
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Wayne Orwig on March 08, 2019, 05:57:11 PM
Scotchbrite Roloc in an angle grind.
Got that setup years ago and use it to clean up everything like that.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: guzziownr on March 08, 2019, 06:12:02 PM
Zip-Strip paint remover.

Look for the words "Methalyne Chloride"  "Toxic" and  "Dangerous". That's the one you want. 

I coat both sides of each gasket with Never-Seez prior to installation and after each valve check.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on March 08, 2019, 06:28:06 PM
tried them silicone gaskets once. I didn't like them at all. torque um down swishy out is all I can report.

You don't torque um down.  <shrug> They are used on cheesy stamped metal million dollar aircraft valve covers after carefully straightening them with a peen punch. Snug them up. That's all. Never leak. Last a long time.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: Perazzimx14 on March 08, 2019, 07:01:08 PM
Trust me, you're MUCH  better off with leaky gaskets than inhaling methyl chloride...ain't worth it....

I'm sure the fatty foods and alcohol I've consumed are by far and away worse than the 1/2 tsp of methylene chlodide contianing gel I use to remove a set of head gasket residue once every 4 years. 

Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: twowings on March 08, 2019, 07:54:35 PM
I know, I know...we both ride too fast to worry about cholesterol...and yet

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dangerous-paint-stripper-chemical-methylene-chloride-ban-on-hold/
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: pete roper on March 09, 2019, 12:48:58 AM
For square fins just get a pair of Valpolini gaskets, Rick and Gordon carry them I think, they’ll last a very, very long time.
Title: Re: False economy-gaskets
Post by: oldbike54 on March 09, 2019, 01:07:35 AM
 Good grief , what are you guys doing to these poor gaskets , I have never had one stuck so bad that a little bit of coaxing wouldn't come off . Of course a little anti seize helps .

 Dusty