Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: bpreynolds on March 18, 2019, 09:33:29 AM

Title: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: bpreynolds on March 18, 2019, 09:33:29 AM
Well that was quick, eh?  Or seems like it in a way.  After 15 years of riding what I guess is now 160-180k miles total, through many, many states and many, many AMAZING memories I have decided to call it quits.  Pulling into my driveway this past weekend - in full protective gear no less and even including airbag vest - I dropped the new used Tuono.  I went over with it, dislocating my already damaged shoulder from an accident on my then Griso last May.  Back to the ER I went, 2nd trip in less than a year, and 3rd overall in the last 6 years from riding.  Back then (accident 6 years ago), I was just driving straight down the road when a truck crossed the lane and smacked me.  I spent 2 months on a knee scooter and probably six months before I was back to even 90 percent.  I spent about 2-3 months in recovery and another six months getting back to myself last May following an AC shoulder injury from the Griso accident.  And while this one will heal much faster, it’s time for me and time for my wife and my family that I hang it up.  It goes without saying, I will miss riding beyond measure.  A great and tremendous amount more thought went into this than I can convey here, and I know many guys will say give it time, don’t make rash decisions right after the accident; however, as I said on another board, this ain’t my first rodeo and it’s all firm and right in my mind now.  There will be no changing it, at least for some years.  The KTM goes up for sale this week, the Tuono as soon as I get the title back from the state. 

I said bye on this board once before when I thought I’d never buy another Guzzi.  That was a funny notion and didn’t last long.  This one’s different.  Unfortunately.

What can I say about WG.  Nothing except you guys are the best.  There’s no place else like it.  I don’t have plans to stop in much afterwards as I think, for now at least, it will only remind me of riding.  I’m happy to see all the wonderful reviews pouring in about the V85.  I hope they sell a zillion of them.  There is no other marquee than MG that is closer to my motorcycle heart in the 25 or more bikes I’ve owned.  Certainly no other board. 

Adieu, Adieu.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Shorty on March 18, 2019, 09:40:12 AM
Salute, sir! Heal well and soon. We will keep the light on for you.  I'm sure there are a few of us nearing that decision, or delaying it with smaller bikes, sidecars etc. All the best and GodSpeed!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: twodogs on March 18, 2019, 09:44:16 AM
Oh man that is a hard decision to make,  heal well and take care of yourself.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: twowings on March 18, 2019, 09:56:42 AM
Good luck. Heal quickly.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: mnuttall87 on March 18, 2019, 10:01:56 AM
Maybe try out something like a Yamaha Nikken?  All the thrill of riding, no worries about tip overs.  That or a trike kit and bring the wife with you!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: kingoffleece on March 18, 2019, 10:02:42 AM
Bummer
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Rhodan on March 18, 2019, 10:17:23 AM
Oh suck, THAT hurt (re: dislocated shoulder).  Sounds like a lot of thought went into your decision.  Bon Chance and as Shorty said, we'll keep a light on. 
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: JJ on March 18, 2019, 10:23:54 AM
Get Well Soon and best wishes!! :thumb: :cool: 

A friend of mine in WA was faced with the same situation a few years ago.  I convinced him to stay "In The Wind" and not retire to the couch!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked:

He sold his motorcycles and now rides a Can-Am Spyder RT with trailer.  His wife even rides with him now.  He is 75 years young and enjoying life!! :thumb: :cool:
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: MattP on March 18, 2019, 11:04:58 AM
How about a vanderhall?
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: John A on March 18, 2019, 11:11:53 AM
Don't be a stranger here, I've enjoyed your posts and you have some wisdom gained from your time riding.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Bulldog9 on March 18, 2019, 11:12:06 AM
God bless man, heal fast & well. I understand the decision. Hope you fill that 'gap' with something as rewarding. I have a buddy who made the same decision a couple years ago. He bought a Can Am Spyder, and didn't like it, bought a Vanderhall last year and is in love. Many options to keep your head in the wind!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Rich A on March 18, 2019, 11:23:54 AM
I put together a sidecar outfit for when I decide two wheels isn't enough. It's very enjoyable to ride, and I prefer it to a trike or CanAm, slingshot, etc.

Rich
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: PJPR01 on March 18, 2019, 11:26:16 AM
BP...can I say it w/o being trite?  I think you'll be back in 6 months...heal up!!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: LowRyter on March 18, 2019, 11:50:24 AM
Heal up.  Get well.

Clear your mind.  Settle it all.

Evaluate when you are ready. 

You're always welcome here.  :thumb:
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Charles in Lake Charles on March 18, 2019, 11:56:36 AM
I'm thinking about a Can AM Ryker for around town sometime in the future. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ryker/recreational/ryker.html?ds_rl=1263151&ds_rl=1263166&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5W-0JOM4QIVkIbACh2NCQDvEAAYASAAEgLSc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds (https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ryker/recreational/ryker.html?ds_rl=1263151&ds_rl=1263166&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5W-0JOM4QIVkIbACh2NCQDvEAAYASAAEgLSc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: fotoguzzi on March 18, 2019, 12:06:46 PM
What you need is a boat! Good for you making a positive descision for the future.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: twowheeladdict on March 18, 2019, 12:37:41 PM
Riding is either in you blood or it isn't.  If it is in your blood every beautiful road you drive you will be wishing you were on a motorcycle. 

Do you have physical limitations that can't be overcome with exercise?

Do you have balance issues due to a medical condition or side effects of a medication?

I am just guessing by your choice in bikes that you like to ride fast and if you can't ride fast you might as well not ride.  If that is the case then go get a Porsche or some other fast sports car and have fun!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: larrys on March 18, 2019, 01:13:08 PM
What you need is a boat! Good for you making a positive descision for the future.
A boat habit is like a motorcycle habit, you can't have just one. AMHIK.
Larry
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: lucian on March 18, 2019, 01:15:11 PM
Sorry to hear all this BP. I have always enjoyed your presence here .  I hope you heal well and remember that not all decisions have to be forever. Just take it one step at a a time.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Tom on March 18, 2019, 01:18:09 PM
Heal up.   :thumb:  Hack?
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Muzz on March 18, 2019, 02:29:49 PM
Heal up.  Get well.

Clear your mind.  Settle it all.

Evaluate when you are ready. 

You're always welcome here.  :thumb:

Well said sir. I second that.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: slowmover on March 18, 2019, 03:10:11 PM
You’ll be bock!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: malik on March 18, 2019, 03:58:08 PM
You'll be missed - mostly. There's a lot out there to attract your interest & passion. Keep fit & enjoy. Best of luck & good management.

Mal
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: pebra on March 18, 2019, 04:18:20 PM
There's a time for everything. Don't know your age, but I think I would have made the same decision as you, given that history of mishaps and rehabilitation.
You'll be missed here, but I'm sure someone else will get to appreciate your good company. Keep in mind as someone said, "we'll keep a light on," though.  :wink:
Heal well, and I sense you'll find something else to be passionate about.   :grin:
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Sheepdog on March 18, 2019, 04:30:38 PM
Pity about the mishaps. I know that I will face this decision also...I'm already favoring lighter machines. You'll be missed...
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: drdwb on March 18, 2019, 07:28:02 PM
BP I too will also miss your contributions. Not much more to say, Heal Fast. Good luck.
Dave
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on March 18, 2019, 07:32:47 PM
We all face that decision sooner or later if we are lucky.  :smiley:  Take care, BP.. it's been fun.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: dcardo021 on March 18, 2019, 07:45:55 PM
So sorry to see this happen, you were so nice to me when I 1st got my V9. Safe journeys and I hope you will stay in contact here. God bless.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: xackley on March 18, 2019, 07:57:32 PM
A 2 door jeep wrangler with top down and doors off is the closest you can come to a motorcycle when moving on 4 wheels.
I would recommend an older tj for more personality.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Moto on March 18, 2019, 08:23:23 PM
Good luck, BP. Make sure to stay active at something! It's been nice reading your posts.

Moto
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: oilhed on March 18, 2019, 08:42:54 PM
I can see a Scooter or small hack in my future.  Wish you just walk in a dealer a buy a sidecar rig that was designed in this century. I might to convert my HD when the time comes. 
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: twowheeladdict on March 19, 2019, 07:11:22 AM
A 2 door jeep wrangler with top down and doors off is the closest you can come to a motorcycle when moving on 4 wheels.
I would recommend an older tj for more personality.

When I contemplated giving up riding I looked at jeeps and they are just not precision riding machines.

The Miata or other 2 seater open air sportscar is the closest you get to the motorcycle experience on 4 wheels. 
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: PJPR01 on March 19, 2019, 08:35:49 AM
....or perhaps a Morgan 3 wheeler with a Moto Guzzi engine or SS engine if you cannot find one with a Guzzi installed in it.  Keeps you connected to the brand in a different way...if I'm not mistaken the Morgan uses some Miata components as well.

Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on March 19, 2019, 12:00:33 PM
I can see a Scooter or small hack in my future.  Wish you just walk in a dealer a buy a sidecar rig that was designed in this century. I might to convert my HD when the time comes.

I converted one for another of my old (RIP)  :sad:  friends several years ago. It made a really good outfit..
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: oilhed on March 19, 2019, 09:48:29 PM
I converted one for another of my old (RIP)  :sad:  friends several years ago. It made a really good outfit..

This would make a great sidecar!


(https://i.ibb.co/pyDj89z/image.jpg) (https://ibb.co/pyDj89z)
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: pete mcgee on March 20, 2019, 05:29:55 AM
Well BP,
You've hard a hard run of not good luck.
I might add just because you no longer ride is no reason to pull the pin on the forum.
Which ever way you decide to go, good luck.
Cheers
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: blu guzz on March 20, 2019, 05:52:55 AM
Peace, long life, happiness.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: fossil on March 20, 2019, 08:19:56 AM
Please heal up, stay, as I have always enjoyed your posts, and get a V7 or a Morgan Threewheeler ( https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/3-wheeler )
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: leafman60 on March 20, 2019, 08:50:43 AM
BP has always been a good poster.  Lots of class there.  Good guy.

Take care, buddy.  Check in every once in a while like I do.

.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: bpreynolds on March 20, 2019, 08:59:16 PM
BP has always been a good poster.  Lots of class there.  Good guy.

Take care, buddy.  Check in every once in a while like I do.

.

Too kind, dude.  I appreciate it.  And I appreciate all the well wishes here and the advice as per future rides such as the convertible or the various 3 wheeled options.  They all seem good suggestions but for now I'm really not going to focus on another vehicle to replace the bikes.  I've been leaning more towards something like knitting.  Okay maybe not knitting but perhaps that's not too far off the mark.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: oldbike54 on March 20, 2019, 09:07:38 PM
Too kind, dude.  I appreciate it.  And I appreciate all the well wishes here and the advice as per future rides such as the convertible or the various 3 wheeled options.  They all seem good suggestions but for now I'm really not going to focus on another vehicle to replace the bikes.  I've been leaning more towards something like knitting.  Okay maybe not knitting but perhaps that's not too far off the mark.

 Knitting will give you carpal tunnel syndrome .

 Dusty
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: BRG-BIRD on March 20, 2019, 10:02:47 PM
Hope you heal quickly!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: ohiorider on March 20, 2019, 10:08:10 PM
I've always enjoyed reading your posts.  There's no reason to leave this eclectic group of motorcycle enthusiasts simply because you want to take a break from biking, even if it's permanent.  We enjoy your company, and hope you continue to contribute to the richness of this forum.

Bob
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: wittangamo on March 21, 2019, 11:06:57 AM
I hate to lose a role model, BP. At 69.5 calendar years, I am not mature enough to make a decision like the one you just made.

Instead, I keep searching for the perfect “last” bike to ride into the sunset, only to get distracted by shiny objects in the showroom. V7, no, Griso, no, V9, um, maybe Harley?

I’ve had my share of close calls, and if I’d suffered the injuries you have I’d probably be forced to the same conclusion. But I’d miss riding big time.

I hope you’ll stick around the forum to share your smarts. If you have to quit cold turkey to make it stick, I’ll understand, but there’ll be one less trustworthy opinion in the mix!
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: LBC Tenni on April 04, 2019, 09:05:01 AM
Knitting will give you carpal tunnel syndrome .

 Dusty

My great uncle Phil sat on one of those knitting needles and punctured his scrotum. Danger lurks, even on the sofa. Take care BP. All the best.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: SemperVee on April 05, 2019, 11:06:46 AM
  BP, good luck fellow on the path.. * Taking off the helmet and gloves for good - It is a decision we all must make before it is made for us, in some way.
I am single and aging -  acutely aware of the impending multiple dangers and implications.   After 48 years of riding continually I wonder if I will make the 1,000,000 ridden mile mark before medical or something else steps in the way.   If you take up another hobby or 3 or more wheels it won't seem so terrible.  A firend of mine who is 82 years young swapped out his Victory cross country for a 3 wheeled Spyder.  Myself I would do a side hack rig or Corvette if I had the space for it.  Best wishes Reynolds..
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Ncdan on April 05, 2019, 12:02:36 PM
Most of us here are not far behind you. Have a great remainder of your life and may God bless and keep you, Sir👍
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Texas Turnip on April 05, 2019, 02:14:44 PM
BP, The very best to you. I kind of know your feeling as the wreck that gave me 15 broken bones causing me to learn to walk again was worse than two root canals without pain medicine.
when the chaplain calls your loved one is not a good thing. Yet, I still have new places I want to see.
Oh, I was treated with good humor at Cedar Vale last year when I was greeted with a moon pie and a Dr. Pepper.








so, I still go to rallies using the Pickup.
Damn computer or operator.  Bye Tex
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Guzzi Gal on April 05, 2019, 03:06:29 PM
I, too, have enjoyed your posts and hope you hang around for the camaraderie. 

If you find the world of PTWs encroaching on your thoughts, a Vespa is almost as good, if not better than a "real" bike.  At only 300ish lbs. they have tons of get up and go with lots of storage to boot. 
(https://i.ibb.co/FxLMxq1/fullsizeoutput-213e.jpg) (https://ibb.co/FxLMxq1)
 
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: bodine99 on April 05, 2019, 04:01:27 PM
Heal up and I 2nd the idea buy a Miata
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: JJ on April 06, 2019, 09:49:35 AM
Heal up and I 2nd the idea buy a Miata

Agree - Get Well Soon!!! - and do not retire to just "sit on the couch..." :laugh: :grin: :wink:

* TriKing with a Guzzi motor
* Scooter
* Can-Am Ryker / Spyder
* Guzzi (or any motorcycle) with a sidecar
* Mazda Miata - - or any similar vintage British sports car

Just anything to keep you "In The Wind!!!"  :thumb: :cool: :smiley:
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: bpreynolds on April 06, 2019, 08:05:37 PM
Again, thank you all for the kind words and good wishes.  Surgery on Monday.  Hopefully all goes well.  Just a labrum repair and arthroscopic at that but I’ll be in a sling for about 2-3 weeks depending.  And GG, thanks for the suggestion of the scoots.  I’ve owned 3 previous Vespas, two 150 models (my favorites), and one 200 model.  So much fun, so enjoyable.  But alas, as much as I enjoyed them, I found motorists respected my space even less on a scooter than a motorcycle, almost (but not quite) less than on a bicycle.  But I swear, I don’t know how cyclists stand it.  So many idiots out there who see you on a scooter or a bicycle as an annoyance.
I still have no plans for the moment other than selling the bikes and hopefully recovering in full from surgery. 
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Huzo on April 07, 2019, 04:27:48 AM
I seriously doubt that I have the strength of character to face a decision like yours with such class..
I like to think that it’ll develop with time, but hats off to you regardless.
Clearly there’s more to life than bikes, one day I’ll see what it is...

Take care mate...
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: gearman on April 08, 2019, 11:04:00 AM
Have you given any thought about a Guzzi reverse trike?
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: pebra on April 08, 2019, 12:33:14 PM
Hope the operation goes (went) well and that you'll heal fast.
The world and the future are beckoning! Your new life will be good.
But do stick around.   :grin:
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Spuddy on April 08, 2019, 02:13:46 PM
ALL THE BEST!

Spud
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: Tom on April 08, 2019, 05:39:10 PM
Piaggio MP3.  Get the one 400 or 500 engine.  They're quick enough in traffic.
Title: Re: The hat comes to rest - Adieu
Post by: bpreynolds on April 11, 2019, 04:55:57 PM
Surgery was Monday.  First day back online after.  Surgeon said it went well.  Was a Bankart labrum repair to fix the tear and also return some stability to the shoulder.  Thankfully, it did not require rotator cuff repair too.  Though I’m taking it off occasionally to work the arm and such, will be in sling for up to 2 weeks maybe more.  Taking Ibuprofen and so far have been hesitant to consume the pain killers except for the first 2 days following surgery. 

Even said, I am blessed and lucky.  Sold the Tuono earlier in the week and it now is awaiting shipment to its new owner in Pittsburg.  The KTM is the only one left to sell.