Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: twowheeladdict on April 19, 2019, 07:50:35 AM

Title: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: twowheeladdict on April 19, 2019, 07:50:35 AM
https://www.allsportinc.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-1974-Benelli-Motorcycle-Scooter-650-S-Allsport-Powersports-Inc-6895467?ref=list
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: canuck750 on April 19, 2019, 08:00:09 AM
That Benelli is in amazing condition and it even has the tool roll.

At that price it is a steal!!!

I think its worth twice the asking price and if I had not just finished restoring the same bike I would have bought it by now.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Lannis on April 19, 2019, 08:03:21 AM
That's dirt cheap.   I'd love to know the story of how that bike survived in that condition for 45 years.   Since it's being offered for about a third of what it would cost to restore an old beater into that condition, I assume it's a "survivor" ...

Lannis
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: canuck750 on April 19, 2019, 08:16:39 AM
Your bang on Lannis, I paid appx. $900 USD for this 1974 650S 'project'

(https://oi249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/1974%20Benelli%20650S%20Tornado/P6090002_zps925brzrp.jpg) (https://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/1974%20Benelli%20650S%20Tornado/P6090002_zps925brzrp.jpg.html)

and aftert the all the dust settled I am into it for about $7K USD, I love it but an all original bike is still 'worth' more on the open market.

(https://oi249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/1974%20Benelli%20650S%20Tornado/20190113_154615_zpsxvaato7f.jpg) (https://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/1974%20Benelli%20650S%20Tornado/20190113_154615_zpsxvaato7f.jpg.html)

Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: chuck peterson on April 19, 2019, 08:50:20 AM
Steal it...
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on April 19, 2019, 08:51:19 AM
The top of the seat cover obviously isn't original, but otherwise it is a very nice Tornado at a very reasonable price.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: twowheeladdict on April 19, 2019, 09:41:33 AM
That's dirt cheap.   I'd love to know the story of how that bike survived in that condition for 45 years.   Since it's being offered for about a third of what it would cost to restore an old beater into that condition, I assume it's a "survivor" ...

Lannis

He has had a few survivor bikes pass through the dealership lately.  I know some were owned by a rich person who had them in his airplane hanger.  I don't have a place to keep a bike pristine so hopefully a collector will end up with this bike. 

They also have this RD400.  If it were in Yamaha racing yellow I might be tempted. 
https://www.allsportinc.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-1976-Yamaha-Motorcycle-Scooter-RD-400-Allsport-Powersports-Inc-6499907?ref=list
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Tusayan on April 19, 2019, 09:45:06 AM
Re the Benelli, I'd want to understand the engine longevity and parts situation given about 50K miles.

The '76 RD400 is exactly the bike I've thought of finding and buying but I have to sell two vehicles (neither motorcycles!) before I'm allowing myself to buy more.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Cam3512 on April 19, 2019, 10:06:54 AM
That can't last long.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on April 19, 2019, 10:12:24 AM
Re the Benelli, I'd want to understand the engine longevity and parts situation given about 50K miles.

Given how "overbuilt" the engine is, if it was cared for properly (and it sure looks like it has been) then 50k miles shouldn't be an issue. Parts availability is fairly good from Detlef Burian http://benelliparts.de/
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: twowheeladdict on April 19, 2019, 11:37:14 AM
Re the Benelli, I'd want to understand the engine longevity and parts situation given about 50K miles.

The '76 RD400 is exactly the bike I've thought of finding and buying but I have to sell two vehicles (neither motorcycles!) before I'm allowing myself to buy more.

Is that 50,000 miles, or kilometers?
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on April 19, 2019, 12:56:06 PM
Is that 50,000 miles, or kilometers?

There is ~ 80k kilometers showing on the odometer, which equals ~ 50k miles.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: twowheeladdict on April 19, 2019, 08:31:40 PM
There is ~ 80k kilometers showing on the odometer, which equals ~ 50k miles.

Ah, guess I should have looked before asking. :embarassed:

Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: radguzzi on April 19, 2019, 09:01:30 PM

I have a Tech Manual here for a Tornado, a friend had one for a short time and I did a little work on it.  Very well built rig.



canuck750,
Beautiful job on that '74 project.

Best,
Rob

Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on April 19, 2019, 09:49:54 PM
I have a Tech Manual here for a Tornado, a friend had one for a short time and I did a little work on it.  Very well built rig.



canuck750,
Beautiful job on that '74 project.

Best,
Rob

I worked on one around this time last year, finished it in time for the owner to sell it at British & European Classic M/C Day.

Just after my first test ride on it. Still had some work to do (fork rebuild).
(https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31946956_1539611676160958_9140694083910500352_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=0cd02b7025e1a0681af13bb7e250457b&oe=5D44F7E8)
(https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31899200_1539611726160953_972357205422505984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a3461b4918fa79e783d969798eb050ac&oe=5D2F4197)
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: canuck750 on April 19, 2019, 11:25:56 PM
I completed a nut and bolt restoration of the same bike and found the engine to be the most solid built lump I have ever dug into. Parts availability is very good and if anyone grabs this I have the service and parts manuals. I reached out to the shop selling this beauty and asked for pictures of the tool roll. I would like to have a reproduction made of the factory tool roll

Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: mtiberio on April 20, 2019, 11:13:07 AM
were these paint shakers? big parallel twin with no balance shaft. I seem to remember something about this...
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on April 20, 2019, 12:11:41 PM
were these paint shakers? big parallel twin with no balance shaft. I seem to remember something about this...

Mine was and the one I worked on was too. There's a reason for those porcupine footpeg rubbers and vibration isolating mounting blocks everywhere.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: guzzi ride on April 20, 2019, 05:48:22 PM
Always wanted one...some day ?
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: twowheeladdict on April 20, 2019, 06:55:24 PM
Always wanted one...some day ?

Where you going to find an opportunity like this again?  Go for it! 
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: canuck750 on April 20, 2019, 07:23:13 PM
Where you going to find an opportunity like this again?  Go for it!

Agreed :thumb: That Benelli is worth twice the asking price! An Italia lover needs to buy this.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: centauro on April 27, 2019, 08:00:51 AM
A little late, but here is mine:


(https://i.ibb.co/Qm4CbGx/1973-Benelli-650-S.jpg) (https://ibb.co/Qm4CbGx)

(https://i.ibb.co/VNN8C6B/1973-Tornado.jpg) (https://ibb.co/VNN8C6B)

(https://i.ibb.co/yYwgMGg/1973-Tornado-S.jpg) (https://ibb.co/yYwgMGg)


Mostly in original condition, with a few non-standard parts. I was trying to make it look like a 650S2
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: canuck750 on April 27, 2019, 08:10:03 AM
A little late, but here is mine:


(https://i.ibb.co/Qm4CbGx/1973-Benelli-650-S.jpg) (https://ibb.co/Qm4CbGx)

(https://i.ibb.co/VNN8C6B/1973-Tornado.jpg) (https://ibb.co/VNN8C6B)

(https://i.ibb.co/yYwgMGg/1973-Tornado-S.jpg) (https://ibb.co/yYwgMGg)


Mostly in original condition, with a few non-standard parts. I was trying to make it look like a 650S2

Thats a beauty :thumb:

Any chanve you have the original tools kit and tool roll with it? I am trying to get a pattern and colour match of the tool roll to copy.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: jas67 on April 27, 2019, 10:11:06 AM
Wow, that is very nice, and extremely tempting!
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: centauro on April 27, 2019, 02:18:51 PM
were these paint shakers? big parallel twin with no balance shaft. I seem to remember something about this...


Not really; and TBH, it feels almost as an inline 3 or 4 cylinder bike at 4000 Rpm.
 The engine is a very short stroke design that loves to rev, and is attached solidly to the frame by 4 points, including an elaborate bracket system on the cylinder head. Also, just about anything attached to the frame is via rubber shock mounts. There are 16 of them, plus smaller ones for the gages and 2 big ones for the handlebars that are embedder in the top triple clamp. Finally the foot peg rubbers have 1/2" rubber cleats that effectively isolate your boots.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: centauro on April 27, 2019, 02:23:13 PM
Thats a beauty :thumb:

Any chanve you have the original tools kit and tool roll with it? I am trying to get a pattern and colour match of the tool roll to copy.


Sorry, Jim, mine was all apart in a crate and no tool kit came with it. I made one up with extra tools I had laying around.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on April 27, 2019, 04:02:43 PM

Not really; and TBH, it feels almost as an inline 3 or 4 cylinder bike at 4000 Rpm.
 The engine is a very short stroke design that loves to rev, and is attached solidly to the frame by 4 points, including an elaborate bracket system on the cylinder head. Also, just about anything attached to the frame is via rubber shock mounts. There are 16 of them, plus smaller ones for the gages and 2 big ones for the handlebars that are embedder in the top triple clamp. Finally the foot peg rubbers have 1/2" rubber cleats that effectively isolate your boots.

Every one I've ever ridden (four in all) were "paint shakers" at most speeds, but mostly smoothed out at some point.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Roy gardner on April 30, 2019, 05:00:00 AM
That bike is a steal! I owned a scruffy one 30 years ago, it was a paint shaker. The bore & stroke are 84 x 58, bigger slugs than a 750 or 850 Guzzi.
Roller bearing big ends & little ends, like a two stroke, I recall looking at the rods & thinking, wow, you could almost fit these either way up.   :laugh:

I bought it for the spare 38mm Marzocchi forks that came with it. They went onto my Egli Vincent after taking the spacer off the springs &  cutting 40mm off the stanchions & sliders.

Does anyone have a spare top yoke, triple tree? Mine has a cracked weld that I didnt see. I have stop drilled it and am monitoring it, it's not changing but I would like to swap out the yoke for a good one.

(https://i.ibb.co/Ydmm30s/19-05018.jpg) (https://ibb.co/Ydmm30s)
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Cam3512 on April 30, 2019, 07:58:21 AM
How is it that no one has shown up with $2,500. cash and driven away with that yet??
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: canuck750 on April 30, 2019, 10:01:49 AM
I can't believe it hasn't already sold!
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: twowheeladdict on April 30, 2019, 12:34:08 PM
How is it that no one has shown up with $2,500. cash and driven away with that yet??

I'm not sure if they are advertising on cycletrader or craigslist.  They are a small shop on the outskirts of a blue collar city.  Most people here are going to buy Harley or Japanese.  Our closest European dealers are Birmingham and Nashville, but we did get BMW added to a stealership in east Huntsville. 

I'm surprised none of you who say it is worth more haven't scooped it up to flip in your location.
Title: Re: 1974 Benelli 650
Post by: Tom on April 30, 2019, 03:55:06 PM
It looks like the original MSO, so no title on the bike.  They weren't required in AL at the time.  A little trivia on the these bikes.  They use the same supplier for the headlight nacelle and chrome ring as the V7 Sport.  So if your Tornado was missing it when you purchased the bike.  It probably was a donor for a V7 Sport.