Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: s1120 on May 19, 2019, 03:29:12 PM

Title: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 19, 2019, 03:29:12 PM
OK, so first week on the road with this bike, and starting to learn the ins and outs of it. Nice hot day, and a 50 mile run made it tough in stop and go driving because the idle is so slow it stalled. I just got the bike this winter, so its kind of a unknown, but it runs pretty good, and other then low idle hot..  Im planning a TB sync, and it will need a remap I think, but I really need to get my ducks in a row, and get the Guzzidiag cables, and tools needed...  Till then is there a way to bump the idle up a bit? Also its a stone, so no tach....  other then something like guzzidiag is there a way to get a tach reading?
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on May 19, 2019, 03:42:25 PM
Back in the olden days before GuzziDiag..  :smiley: A tune up included setting the base line of the TPS, throttle body balance, and idle speed. It still applies. No doubt a search on here will find it. If it's like a Jackal wiring setup, the plug for the tach drive is on the harness..but.. you'll need a tach for it to be much use.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: guzzisteve on May 19, 2019, 03:49:17 PM
Seen as you are going to do it right soon. For now, take a 2.5mm allen and turn the throttle stop screws on each TB about 1/8 turn in. Do the rest later.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 19, 2019, 04:09:27 PM
Seen as you are going to do it right soon. For now, take a 2.5mm allen and turn the throttle stop screws on each TB about 1/8 turn in. Do the rest later.

I have just started researching the procedure to sync on this bike..  So im a little green on it.  Bolth TB's have this stop screw? Sounds like the trick. Im going to dig into this for sure...  but right now dont have the time, or all the tools.


As a aside... I was kinda shocked today.. On my ride today I passed another Guzzi rider!!  Cant say ive ever seen more then a handful around these parts!
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on May 19, 2019, 04:24:52 PM
Shouldn't an 02 California have a fast idle lever, if so just use that for now.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: pehayes on May 19, 2019, 05:01:21 PM
In fuel injection, components don't change as often or as much as they do with carbs.  Presumably it was idling just fine before.  Now suddenly it is idling low.  Before  you go tampering with the FI, you might investigate WHY it suddenly slowed.
Bad plug?
Bad plug wire?
Crack leaking air into intake tract rubber sleeves?
Fuel flow restriction?

Anybody else have other ideas for a spontaneous change?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on May 19, 2019, 05:34:45 PM
Patrick, I don't think it was sudden.. he said,
Quote
OK, so first week on the road with this bike
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: fotoguzzi on May 19, 2019, 05:57:48 PM
In fuel injection, components don't change as often or as much as they do with carbs.  Presumably it was idling just fine before.  Now suddenly it is idling low.  Before  you go tampering with the FI, you might investigate WHY it suddenly slowed.
Bad plug?
Bad plug wire?
Crack leaking air into intake tract rubber sleeves?
Fuel flow restriction?

Anybody else have other ideas for a spontaneous change?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
you say nice hot day? This happened after riding awhile?  valves too tight? Anyhow you should adjust valve lash ahead of any Guzzi Diaz tune up.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 20, 2019, 05:44:23 AM
Ya, its a new to me bike, and its always idles slow...  was just not a problem till hot stop and go riding. I did do a lash adjustment. I plan to recheck it when I do the sync/map.

It does have a fast idle lever. Now is this just idle control? no enrichment at all?? 
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on May 20, 2019, 05:58:06 AM
Ya, its a new to me bike, and its always idles slow...  was just not a problem till hot stop and go riding. I did do a lash adjustment. I plan to recheck it when I do the sync/map.

It does have a fast idle lever. Now is this just idle control? no enrichment at all??

Correct. Have a look at the throttle linkage and you can see what is happening.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 20, 2019, 06:38:25 AM
Correct. Have a look at the throttle linkage and you can see what is happening.

Awesome.  Maybe Ill just give that a nudge when needed till I get in there and sync/map.

I was planning to do it all this winter, but I hadnt put any miles on it, so I kind of wanted to put some miles on it to get a baseline, and a feel for what I do, and dont like about its running.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Vagrant on May 20, 2019, 06:38:46 AM
past owner might have made it idle like a harley! you can get cheap tachs on line for under $20 that just wrap around the plug wire. get everything set right and you won't need it anymore. the TPS is subject to wear and getting gunked up from long sits. I'm sure the Guzzi dia will let you see if there is a problem with it. they can be cleaned with contact cleaner.
But for now as stated use the lever.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 20, 2019, 07:02:36 AM
past owner might have made it idle like a harley! you can get cheap tachs on line for under $20 that just wrap around the plug wire. get everything set right and you won't need it anymore. the TPS is subject to wear and getting gunked up from long sits. I'm sure the Guzzi dia will let you see if there is a problem with it. they can be cleaned with contact cleaner.
But for now as stated use the lever.

Nice thanks.  Ill have to get some cables order up, and start messing about with the GD a little..   It has a open air box, FBF H pipe and Lafranconi mufflers. I have no idea if it was remapped to the mods so thats why I wanted some time on it to find any issues before I messed with it. Seems to have a lot of vibrations at low speeds, and with applying throttle, so Im pretty sure the sync is out. No idea on past adjustments, or mods other then what I can see. It really hasnt been touched much...  it only have 9K miles on it, and is really like new.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: bigbikerrick on May 20, 2019, 03:51:26 PM
What Guzzi Steve recommended with the stop screws, and also you may try tweaking the air screws a bit and see how many turns out they are.
This is  just to get you by,until you do the full  tune up with TB synch ,and TPS voltage check, etc.
I hope his helps,
Rick.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 20, 2019, 04:40:14 PM
Awesome thanks!   

Now Ive read a few things on syncing these...  is there a vid showing it, or maybe procedure thats better then others? 
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Tom H on May 20, 2019, 04:52:09 PM
TPS setting:
http://www.bikeboy.org/tpssetting.html

TPS and balance:
https://archive.guzzitech.com/EVTuneup-Jeff_B.html

Tom
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Wayne Orwig on May 20, 2019, 09:45:52 PM
Go ahead and do a valve adjustment now.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 21, 2019, 06:21:49 AM
Go ahead and do a valve adjustment now.

I did do a valve adjustment on it. I do plan to recheck it when I balance the TB's.


This being said...   What good sync gauges are out there for lower cost? I used to have a old set of gauges back in my 4cyl UJM days..  but they walked many years ago when I was out of riding for a bit.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: ejs on May 21, 2019, 06:31:32 AM
 :lipsrsealed:
Morgan carbtune 2
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Moto on May 21, 2019, 08:55:27 AM
A too-slow idle speed might notch the splines on the inside of the flywheel where the clutch plates have to slide. A rough idle caused by unbalanced throttle bodies would make that happen even faster, I suppose. The rotational inertia of the plates sitting in the slots of the flywheel as it accelerates and decelerates during each firing cycle is said to be responsible. (This a Pete Roper theory that I found plausible.)

Investing in a cheap, inductive tachometer that will make it easier to keep the idle at 1100 rpm could delay the flywheel replacement that you may soon be needing, depending on how long the previous owner ran it with the speed too low.

Here's a water resistant one on Amazon that will do, for $28 and change, until you make a permanent fix. It just requires you to wrap a sensor wire around a spark plug cable: No 12 volt feed is needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardline-Products-HR-8061-2-Tachometer-2-Cylinder/dp/B000FOOAXY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=inductive+motorcycle+tachometer+hardline&qid=1558445838&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Moto
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: pehayes on May 21, 2019, 10:09:22 AM
I did do a valve adjustment on it. I do plan to recheck it when I balance the TB's. This being said...   What good sync gauges are out there for lower cost? I used to have a old set of gauges back in my 4cyl UJM days..  but they walked many years ago when I was out of riding for a bit.

If cost is a factor, there are Internet reports for 'roll-yer-own' manometers.  I made one.  I still usually revert to my old poisonous mercury CarbStix.

(https://i.postimg.cc/x8XZXXGH/MVC-568X.jpg)

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Wayne Orwig on May 21, 2019, 10:10:08 AM
I did do a valve adjustment on it. I do plan to recheck it when I balance the TB's.


This being said...   What good sync gauges are out there for lower cost? I used to have a old set of gauges back in my 4cyl UJM days..  but they walked many years ago when I was out of riding for a bit.

You can try a long tube with some oil in it. Works very well and is too cheap not to at least try.
There are a few writeups on how to do it.
(Patrick beat me to it)
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Tom H on May 21, 2019, 12:02:31 PM
Twin vacuum gauge set. Also check for the same thing at fleabay. There may be a better price. I bought a set like this and has worked well.
https://www.amazon.com/AlphaMoto-Vacuum-Carburetor-Synchronizer-Cylinder/dp/B004MSJ7C8/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=motorcycle+vacuum+gauge&qid=1558457883&s=gateway&sr=8-9

Tom
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Moto on May 21, 2019, 12:14:09 PM
If cost is a factor, there are Internet reports for 'roll-yer-own' manometers.  I made one.  I still usually revert to my old poisonous mercury CarbStix.

(https://i.postimg.cc/x8XZXXGH/MVC-568X.jpg)

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Say, are the two white plastic pipes intended to be pressure fluctuation dampers? Or just overflow receptacles?

EDIT: if dampers, does the device give steadier readings than your poisonous CarbStix?

Interesting setup.

Moto
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on May 21, 2019, 12:39:56 PM
A too-slow idle speed might notch the splines on the inside of the flywheel where the clutch plates have to slide. A rough idle caused by unbalanced throttle bodies would make that happen even faster, I suppose. The rotational inertia of the plates sitting in the slots of the flywheel as it accelerates and decelerates during each firing cycle is said to be responsible. (This a Pete Roper theory that I found plausible.)

Investing in a cheap, inductive tachometer that will make it easier to keep the idle at 1100 rpm could delay the flywheel replacement that you may soon be needing, depending on how long the previous owner ran it with the speed too low.

Here's a water resistant one on Amazon that will do, for $28 and change, until you make a permanent fix. It just requires you to wrap a sensor wire around a spark plug cable: No 12 volt feed is needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardline-Products-HR-8061-2-Tachometer-2-Cylinder/dp/B000FOOAXY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=inductive+motorcycle+tachometer+hardline&qid=1558445838&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Moto

I didnt think of those. I think I might have one laying around somewhere. ive used them on garden tractors before. If not that reminded me I have a lazer tach also...   Might work well enough till I get up and running with Guzzidiag....  Thanks all for for the help!
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on June 11, 2019, 02:33:26 PM
Well I decided after a few weeks of bubblegumming it using the fast idle lever..I needed to fix this at least close to right..  So I got in there, and started with a TPS reset. It was pretty far out. 178mv with the screw backed out...  MAN these are a bit of a pain to get spot on are they not? After much fiddling, for some time.. I settled on getting her locked down right around 152mv...  OK, so now to set idle vts…  After fiddling I got her right at .530..  A quick run, and test ride shows great improvement!!  I don't have to use the fast idle any more, and the power delivery is much smoother!!!  Im wondering if a past owner messed with the TPS to make it work with the intake, and exoust mods..  It pops back much more, and I can really tell it is going to need a remap!!!    OK so next onto the throttle balance.. A few min fabing up a homemade manometer, and some hoses, I hooked it up. Air bleeds were bolth about 1/2 turn out, so I kept them there. Throttle balance was out to lunch!!  Idle balance took almost a full turn on the right TB idle stop to get it right. I don't have a tach.. and couldn't find the lazer one I have....  So I ballparked the cruse rpm for high speed balance by ear. It also was a bit off. So I haven't test rode it yet...  But it starts and runs a lot nicer. The TPS adjustment really helped a lot. Next up is a remap!....  off to read that thread, and find some cords.....
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Tom H on June 11, 2019, 02:41:54 PM
 :thumb:

Tom
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on June 11, 2019, 04:03:03 PM
OK, so just got back from a test drive...  Much smoother..  More a throb under power, not thumping.  I like it. a LOT of popping on decell…  HAVE to get it mapped..  No doupt. But all in all nice..  Idle rpm might be a tick too high now...  But its better, and Ill refine it when I have GuzziDiag all setup. 
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Tom H on June 11, 2019, 05:02:21 PM
Guzzidiag has a tach display. When you get your cables, that will help you a bit.

Tom
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Vagrant on June 11, 2019, 05:08:29 PM
best look for exhaust leaks at the header, crossover pipe to header and to muffler. I suspect you have big air leaks there.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: fotoguzzi on June 11, 2019, 08:36:40 PM
OK, so just got back from a test drive...  Much smoother..  More a throb under power, not thumping.  I like it. a LOT of popping on decell…  HAVE to get it mapped..  No doupt. But all in all nice..  Idle rpm might be a tick too high now...  But its better, and Ill refine it when I have GuzziDiag all setup.
May need to set the trim with Guzzidiag.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on June 12, 2019, 06:51:22 AM
best look for exhaust leaks at the header, crossover pipe to header and to muffler. I suspect you have big air leaks there.

I checked them all when I got the bike, but I will recheck them.  I figure it was because of the mods to the bike causing the issues.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Vagrant on June 12, 2019, 07:46:17 AM
trim would be next and checking the TPS is working too. My 98 TPS went out at 10000 miles in the first year. My 2001 has had 2 new ones in 75000 miles. with the poor design of having it underneath the throttle body an occasional drip of gas can get into them and then dries into goop. sometimes they can be flushed out. My 2001 runs best at +30 on the trim. Don't be afraid to experiment.
On the exhaust remember there are no gaskets other than the one in the head.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: s1120 on June 12, 2019, 07:55:21 AM
trim would be next and checking the TPS is working too. My 98 TPS went out at 10000 miles in the first year. My 2001 has had 2 new ones in 75000 miles. with the poor design of having it underneath the throttle body an occasional drip of gas can get into them and then dries into goop. sometimes they can be flushed out. My 2001 runs best at +30 on the trim. Don't be afraid to experiment.
On the exhaust remember there are no gaskets other than the one in the head.

Im thinking the TPS is fine. There was a nice smooth progression of voltage when I worked the throttle when I had the VOM hooked up.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Vagrant on June 12, 2019, 08:04:30 AM
it should be then. my notes show 514 - 540 and mine is at 542. very finicky to set. runs great there though. it's just a touch richer that way and might be all you need.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Kiwi Dave on June 12, 2019, 03:00:08 PM
Guzzidiag might allow you to put the voltmeter away when setting the TPS voltage, but it has to be set manually like the earlier California models.  I set my TPS to 3.6° ±0.3° (475-525 mV), using Guzzidiag.
Title: Re: vary low hot idle speed 02 california
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on June 13, 2019, 08:19:53 AM
Im thinking the TPS is fine. There was a nice smooth progression of voltage when I worked the throttle when I had the VOM hooked up.

An analog meter set to ohms will find it..