Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: jas67 on June 16, 2019, 07:29:20 PM
-
(https://i.imgur.com/0uY92Cb.jpg)
A "round case" bevel twin Ducati has been on my wish list for some time. The opportunity to purchase a nice one for a price I could (sort of) afford presented itself, so, I took the plunge and bought it!
It has a few minor problems, but, runs well, and looks great.
Most of the problems are simple fixes. There is a problem with the wiring to the rear brake light switch, and the front bright light switch doesn't work (though, I can short the wiring and get the light to come on). The front brake rotor is a little wrapped, so, I need to replace that as well. Also, the engine has a minor oil leak that I need to investigate. And, finally, sadly, despite having been repainted, the fuel tank has a couple of rust bubbles forming under the paint. It is a shame, because the paint is in great shape. I'll, of course, fix the brake light issue and replace the rotor, but, will otherwise ride as is for now, but, will be watching for a rust free fuel tank, and once I find one, will bite the bullet and pay to get it painted.
Despite the fuel tank issue, I'm thrilled with the bike. It's a beautiful work of art to look at, and a joy to ride. I rode it about 60 miles today, joining the Central PA Italian Motorcycle lunch, with one other Italian bike, a nice V11 Sport, and Josh, who had to drive there as his leg is still healing from the Black Rhino falling on it.
I adjusted to the right-side GP shift very well, as I do already have one other right-shift bike ('66 Ducati 250 Monza). The motor is typical 90-degree V-twin, very smooth, and a nice broad torque curve. The GT is not a Desmo motor, so, it doesn't have a rowdy cam or anything. At about 400# and 60HP, acceleration is similar to my V7III. Braking is actually quite good for 1970's solid-rotor single disc two piston caliper. When I first got it, before riding, I noticed mounts on the other fork leg for another caliper and immediately thought of a dual disc conversion like I did on my Eldo, but, unlike Guzzi, Ducati actually picked the right size master cylinder for a single caliper, and the brakes work quite well. It does, of course help that this bike is about 160# lighter than the Eldo.
The mufflers appear to be Emglos or something like. They're a little loud for my taste. I plan on putting a full stainless Conti replica system from Keihan on it, because, well, Contis are what it should have.
I also need to source a pair of proper "750" emblems for the side covers.
(https://i.imgur.com/lXskfXx.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/7u4OLvN.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/unFA4qQ.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/XHaSIra.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/nGg5JoI.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/biq5A7G.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/FVuofej.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/riulOdd.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/O9Xve6H.jpg)
-
Very nice bike...I do like something that has the look of some use....Enjoy!
-
Man, thise engines are a work of art! What was the stock air filter, round airbox?
-
Very cool- great looking bike and glad to hear you've added it to your stable while it is still possible. Prices on the round case 750s are hard to believe..
-
Absolutely gorgeous, a dream bike for me as well, and the red / black paint scheme is in my opinion the very best looking of all the 750 GT's. Looking forward to more ride reports, great, great find, congratulations!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
-
Very cool- great looking bike and glad to hear you've added it to your stable while it is still possible. Prices on the round case 750s are hard to believe..
Especially the Sport and Supersport. And, the green-frame SS? Forgetaboutit!
-
Most excellent.. :thumb:
-
She's a looker! Congrats!
-
Bella Moto!
-
I first saw one of those at the Datil, NM rally waaay back in '99, and almost peed my pants it was so gorgeous, to my eyes. It was UNRESTORED, with a nice, dusty, used-but-maintained patina. Guy bought it for a song, like 2k$, from some other pigeon who had it sitting in his garage for years. I looked over at the '74 LAPD Eldo I rode there with sadness.
VERY nice score, I'll bet you and that rascal get LOTS of jealous stares! :bow:
-
Jas67, when they talk about these bikes , they talk about lower end problems with crank and rods...Is this a fact as in it's risky to use the full engine performance? I had two 750 GT's back in the 70's 80's, the engines reved quite freely to 7500 rpm..
-
Such a beautiful bike! Love the color . . .
-
Jas67, when they talk about these bikes , they talk about lower end problems with crank and rods...Is this a fact as in it's risky to use the full engine performance? I had two 750 GT's back in the 70's 80's, the engines reved quite freely to 7500 rpm..
My riding buddy has the same bike in the original faded orange and black. The bike was purchased new in '74 by his older brother. It needed the valve guides done early in its life. This is a common issue. I think it has around 70,000 miles on it now and he just did the pistons and honed the cylinders. Bottom end was fine. Other things he's done are electronic ignition, and updated the charging system. The 1998 (only year!) ST2 alternator rotor will just bolt right in with no mods. Try ebay, or find Ducati part # to see if other models used it. No more dimming lights.
It turns heads wherever he goes. i'll try to post a pic..
-
My '73 750 GT saga:
http://forum.bevelheaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4543
.
-
My '73 750 GT saga:
http://forum.bevelheaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4543
I'll be giving this a read. I've got a lot to learn on this bike.
Plus, it does have one or more mild oil leaks that I'd like to address.
Sadly, I think it leaks at the seam between the case halves, so, I'll likely just have to live with that one, as I don't want to split the cases.
-
I had that issue and fixed by laying a smoothed bead of aircraft fuel tank sealant PR1422 B-2 over the seam. Had to take off the tank and use a chain hoist to lift it up to hanging vertical from the shop ceiling to get it positioned so it was easier to apply. Worked great.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/pages/cs/fueltanksealants/prosealant.php
The less expensive amount item (as opposed to the can) is for an applicator gun, but you can use its built-in mix tube to get it all mixed up and then squirt it out manually and apply with a little spatula. I used masking tape to mask the edges of where it was to be applied about 1/2" either side of the seam, applied sealant then smoothed with a wetted finger. It sets up in a couple hours, so plenty of time to apply it.
I'll be giving this a read. I've got a lot to learn on this bike.
Plus, it does have one or more mild oil leaks that I'd like to address.
Sadly, I think it leaks at the seam between the case halves, so, I'll likely just have to live with that one, as I don't want to split the cases.
-
My '73 750 GT saga:
http://forum.bevelheaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4543
And a writeup of your bike on Motorcycle Classics:
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-italian-motorcycles/classic-ducati-motorcycles/taglionis-first-twin-1973-ducati-750gt-zmmz15mjzhur (https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-italian-motorcycles/classic-ducati-motorcycles/taglionis-first-twin-1973-ducati-750gt-zmmz15mjzhur)
-
The 1973 Cycle magazine comparison road test is the best test of the 750 Ducati and how it compared to the other "super bikes" of that era...One of the test riders is Cook Neislon who went on to successfuly race a Ducati...The race track performace of the various bikes is very interesting
http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/articles/1973%20Superbikes/superbikes1.htm (http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/articles/1973%20Superbikes/superbikes1.htm)
-
Very nice! :thumb: