Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: DougG on July 20, 2019, 08:13:31 AM

Title: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: DougG on July 20, 2019, 08:13:31 AM
Hi all,
I have a '15 Cali 1400 Tour.  I have the cables and Guzzidiag.  Without messing with my ECU...I repeat...without messing with my ECU, what is the quickest, safest, easiest way to retrieve any stored error codes?  I really love the bike and don't want to mess it up.  Call me any name you want...sissy, Luddite, wuz...I'm good with it.  Now that I've laid bare my mortal soul, any constructive advise is surely welcome.

Be well,
DouG
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: tris on July 20, 2019, 08:17:47 AM
On the CARC bikes you can get them straight out of the dash with the right access code -  no need for GuzziDiag

Might be worth a Google to see if the same capability exists for the 1400
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: DougG on July 20, 2019, 08:32:35 AM
Hi Tris,
Thanks for the quick get back.  I may be mistaken, however I believe that this bike does not show error codes on the dash.  (I hope I'm wrong.)

Be well,
DougG
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: Ncdan on July 20, 2019, 08:39:08 AM
I had to get the code from my 2015 1400 tourer by means of lap top to bike. Some of these guys can walk you through that process painlessly and safely.
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: DougG on July 20, 2019, 08:52:37 AM
Hi Dan,
I remember when you went through this...I like the painlessly and safely part.   I am open to being walked through the process.  Any takers...please?

BTW are you going to the meet and greet at Mills River on 8-17?  I believe I am.

Be well,
DougG
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: beetle on July 20, 2019, 06:10:16 PM

Reading codes on the Cali 1400 requires a computer. Either GuzziDiag or PADS. There's no other way.


The quickest, easiest, and safest way to read your errors codes is by using GuzziDiag. It's painless as well. Just to it.


Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on July 21, 2019, 12:54:14 AM
Reading codes on the Cali 1400 requires a computer. Either GuzziDiag or PADS. There's no other way.


The quickest, easiest, and safest way to read your errors codes is by using GuzziDiag. It's painless as well. Just to it.
Mark, does that apply to the V7s and V9s as well?
Thanks
Roy
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: beetle on July 21, 2019, 01:25:03 AM
Mark, does that apply to the V7s and V9s as well?
Thanks
Roy


Yes it does.


Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: tris on July 21, 2019, 02:46:08 AM
Reading codes on the Cali 1400 requires a computer. Either GuzziDiag or PADS. There's no other way.


The quickest, easiest, and safest way to read your errors codes is by using GuzziDiag. It's painless as well. Just to it.

What a shame

The ability to read a fault code when you're out and about I feel is quite useful
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on July 21, 2019, 06:25:42 PM
I finally got around to connecting my laptop, to the V7iii, here's what It found
Am I right in thinking these are items it found on the Canbus?

IAW 5AM PFIC  I think this might have been left over from the Griso
CM25407
3M3G3HW311
464AVHAM
FO9
salaprovag
2017.06.08

It also found 3 stored errors
P0150 Invalid Signal  This one cleared when I reset it
P0130 To Low  This one cleared when I reset it
P1607 Invalid signal "Data File Saved for Safety"

I get a periodic check engine light, I will try to check again when the light is on, I must say its a royal pain to attach the laptop, Laptops and Motorbikes were never meant to work together.
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: beetle on July 22, 2019, 03:06:08 AM
I finally got around to connecting my laptop, to the V7iii, here's what It found
Am I right in thinking these are items it found on the Canbus?



CM25407 -> Software 'drawing'
3M3G3HW311 -> ECU hardware version
464AVHAM -> map version
FO9 -> homologation
salaprovag -> dude who flashed the ECU
2017.06.08 -> date dude flashed the ECU



Quote
It also found 3 stored errors
P0150 Invalid Signal  This one cleared when I reset it
P0130 To Low  This one cleared when I reset it
P1607 Invalid signal "Data File Saved for Safety"


P0150 -> right lambda probe
P0130 -> left lambda probe
P1607 -> log file written by the ECU. Can only be read by PADS. Can be ignored.


Quote
I get a periodic check engine light, I will try to check again when the light is on, I must say its a royal pain to attach the laptop, Laptops and Motorbikes were never meant to work together.


Agreed, it's a pain when you're on the road and have failed to proceed. Not so much in the garage.
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on July 22, 2019, 06:29:51 AM
Thanks for the explanation Mark :thumb:

You haven seen my working conditions LOL
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: Tom H on July 22, 2019, 12:05:29 PM
Roy,

For something to take with you, try a little tablet that will run Guzzidiag. I have a little Win8 tablet that was about $100US, works great and easy to bring along.

Tom
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: DougG on July 23, 2019, 06:10:54 PM
OK, I finally got the courage (and the guidance) to connect my '15 Cali 1400 Tour to Guzzidiag.  All I was looking for were the stored faults.  They were :  P0155, P0501, P0502, PO744 and U1701.   Here is what I found... P0155 - O2 sensor malfunction,  P0501 & P0502 - speed sensor range/low, P0744 - clutch connect intermittent.  U1701 - I could not find this code but it indicated NO SIGNAL.  I cleared them all and will see if any return.

Also, later, I took the bike on a ride today and got 43.2 Avg MPG>  38 miles, stop and go and some highway.  If she keeps this up, I won't care about the codes.

Be well,
DougG
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: lucian on July 23, 2019, 08:34:32 PM
Hi Doug. I'm not sure where you got the error code descriptions but here is what I  have from the service manual
po155  inconsistent signal track c-d throttle grip position sensor

po501 front speed sensor

po502 rear wheel speed sensor

u1701 can bus line to instrument panel

po744 ? no mention of this code although I know it is a valid code in automotive OBD, related to torque converters

It may be you have a loose connector to the dash or to the ECU
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: DougG on July 24, 2019, 09:15:50 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for chiming in.  As you know, I've trying to contact you directly and have failed (I tried to leave a text on your land line...stupid me).  I'll try again as I am able.

I got the codes from a site entitled "Complete List of OBD Codes: Generic OBD2 (OBDII) & Manufacturer".  Cutting and pasting the P0155 from there: "P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)".  It is generic, and certainly different from the one you quoted.  Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.  Is there a better site for codes specific to the Moto Guzzi?  If so, please let me know.  I believe the 501&2  correlate to what you said.  I'll keep an eye on any new error codes.  I know a Harley Mechanic and he tells me that some error codes are left over from the original bike set up and just have never been cleared...we'll see, maybe the 1701 disconnect is an artifact.

Once again, thanks and

Be well,
DougG
Title: Re: ERROR CODE RETRIEVAL
Post by: DougG on July 24, 2019, 12:39:55 PM
OK,  After poking around, I found that my link to the fault codes was taking me to a generic site.  I now have downloaded the California 1400 Workshop Manual and I see that they are somewhat different, enough so that the P0155 code refers to the throttle grip position sensor...not the O2 sensor malfunction.

I think that I'm barking up the right tree now...moving forward.

Thanks and

Be well,
DougG