Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Ratcrazy on August 10, 2019, 02:31:29 PM
-
Super pleased with this Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Wheel Chock..... with coupon under 50$ makes checking oil, light maintenance or transporting in the truck much easier.... don’t have a center stand, so a nice, cheap alternative
(https://i.ibb.co/hChHsMN/0-F2-A831-D-2-E7-B-4521-9-A12-BE8-E3-F04951-D.jpg) (https://ibb.co/hChHsMN)
(https://i.ibb.co/Jy5S7pD/150-EE308-019-B-4174-AAF7-69-CE8-F30-C860.jpg) (https://ibb.co/Jy5S7pD)
-
I have one of those in my trailer. I have the other HF one on my lift.
I am not able to get a bike in and out of it if it is just free-standing on the ground. It just gets pushed along.
Are you securing it to anything?
-
In the truck It was just against the headboard, in the garage/driveway it took 2 of us to get it in place.... or I would just put it up against curb.... dont have a place to make it permanent yet
-
I have one of those in my trailer. I have the other HF one on my lift.
I am not able to get a bike in and out of it if it is just free-standing on the ground. It just gets pushed along.
Are you securing it to anything?
I have a cable holding mine up against my Harbor Freight tire changer, which I bolted to the floor using my HF hammer drill. I just run my bikes on to the chock routinely to park them in an upright position, and then yank them back off while straddling them.
(https://i.ibb.co/hsgvXms/IMG-20190810-162821954.jpg) (https://ibb.co/hsgvXms)
The hooks at the cable ends make it easy to remove:
(https://i.ibb.co/94ySZLp/IMG-20190810-162906422.jpg) (https://ibb.co/94ySZLp)
Moto
-
I bought a couple of rubbers for table legs to slip over their plastic ones. helps stop most sliding.
-
I have one of those in my trailer. I have the other HF one on my lift.
I am not able to get a bike in and out of it if it is just free-standing on the ground. It just gets pushed along.
Are you securing it to anything?
if you mount it to a thin price of board it won't slide because the weight of the rear wheel.
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Foto/i-ZVLsmPw/0/770aa0ac/L/IMG_0493-L.jpg) (https://fotoguzzi.smugmug.com/Foto/i-ZVLsmPw/A)
-
I hate that Chinese garbage. In a moment of weakness, I bought one of the Harbor Freight ones. Worthless, as far as I was concerned. Once, when I was trying to use it, one of the flimsy clips came lose and the whole thing fell apart. It went in the scrap pile where it belonged. Have a Baxley now...only way to go.
-
I hate that Chinese garbage. In a moment of weakness, I bought one of the Harbor Freight ones. Worthless, as far as I was concerned. Once, when I was trying to use it, one of the flimsy clips came lose and the whole thing fell apart. It went in the scrap pile where it belonged. Have a Baxley now...only way to go.
I've gotten good service out of mine for about a decade now. I did have a clip slip out once, but just put it back in. Very solid, in my experience.
-
I hate that Chinese garbage. In a moment of weakness, I bought one of the Harbor Freight ones. Worthless, as far as I was concerned. Once, when I was trying to use it, one of the flimsy clips came lose and the whole thing fell apart. It went in the scrap pile where it belonged. Have a Baxley now...only way to go.
Baxley is a quality product, but pricey in comparison.
Think I’ll try a HF at that price point (Guzzi content).
-
I also have the harbor freight one. Very happy with it.
-
Pittsburgh brand HF one. I'm happy with it. But, as mentioned, you DO have to have a way to keep it from sliding. On isn't bad, off you could slide it all the way out the garage.
A PO drilled a small hole in my garage floor in just the right place. I just slide a punch through the chock and into the hole. Works great!
Tom
-
I’m gonna try friction tape on bottom.
-
Some tips:
Secure the bike:
(https://i.ibb.co/TB34kdh/0810192008.jpg) (https://ibb.co/TB34kdh)
Use a pin in the floor to hold the chock. Or as mentioned, rubber feet, plywood or even a rope to your garage wall to keep it from sliding when removing the bike:
(https://i.ibb.co/bmNzGVR/0810192009.jpg) (https://ibb.co/bmNzGVR)
Shim the rocker and the stop to keep them more rigid in the chock frame (notice the nut as a shim, one per side):
(https://i.ibb.co/YP62LKJ/0810192010.jpg) (https://ibb.co/YP62LKJ)
This position fits a 110/90-18 and a 100/90-19. You could go one tighter to make it easier to get out, but this feels most secure:
(https://i.ibb.co/GHbkgRx/0810192012.jpg) (https://ibb.co/GHbkgRx)
Last. To get the bike out, try pushing it forward to compress the forks a little then pull back. Once back as far as it would go, apply front brake. Push forward again then pull back while releasing the front brake. Repeat as needed.
I don't have stock in the company. I just like this chock. There are probably better ones, for the price this one works.
Tom
-
Baxley is a quality product, but pricey in comparison.
Think I’ll try a HF at that price point (Guzzi content).
Seriously, check out the Baxley first.
A friend of mine just bought several. The really cool thing about the Baxley is that the part that the tire goes clamps closed onto the tire as your roll into into the chock, and opens up as you roll the bike back out of the chock. Even sticky race tires do not stick in the Baxley. By contrast, I have to use a piece of 2x4 or a pry bar to get my track bike out of the otherwise very nice Talon (Condor clone) chocks that I have in my trailer. Had I known about the Baxleys, I'd have bought them instead.
Check out the clamping action at about 1:30 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ukZGXn9GU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ukZGXn9GU)
-
Hare are mine in action. The lift table was an open box item for $200. The wheel chocks were bought with 25% off coupons. I have had more successes with HF purchases than disappointments, but there have been disappointments over the years.
(https://i.ibb.co/TmKYPGs/sm20181112-151918.jpg) (https://ibb.co/TmKYPGs)
(https://i.ibb.co/P9Y0j7t/2018-Moto-Guzzi-V7-III-Carbon-Dark.jpg) (https://ibb.co/P9Y0j7t)
a clear midnight walt whitman (https://poetandpoem.com/interpretation-of-a-clear-midnight-by-walt-whitman)
-
These Harbor Freight chocks could use a minor bit of re-work, but after that - they are great utility. They can be temporarily bolted to a trailer or used in the back of a pickup truck.
Lift table occupied? No problem.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/4830/31942297238_d1618ddb4f_b.jpg)
-
I own one of each. the Baxley is a terrific product far superior to the HF unit. But I don't worry about the HF being stolen from the trailer or truck and it works as a fair center stand for the V7.
-
I use the Harbor Freight, works great for me. I use pit-pins to attach it to my bike lift, that way it can be quickly removed if i need to use the lift for other purposes.
(https://i.ibb.co/smQzmbY/20190811-155318.jpg) (https://ibb.co/smQzmbY)
(https://i.ibb.co/G9B8H1v/20190811-155403.jpg) (https://ibb.co/G9B8H1v)
(https://i.ibb.co/qRkTwL9/20190811-155431.jpg) (https://ibb.co/qRkTwL9)