Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Tom H on February 20, 2020, 06:27:26 PM

Title: Sport 1100 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame? Case closed.
Post by: Tom H on February 20, 2020, 06:27:26 PM
Will a Sport (spine frame?) engine fit a Tonti or Loop without major modifications to the block or front cover, ect.? I can get a project bike cheap and am thinking about stuffing a 1100 into my Ambo. My EVT engine can be made to fit, but if I could just get another engine............. ...

Thank you,
Tom
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame?
Post by: Turin on February 20, 2020, 07:09:30 PM
no, you need to swap out the timing cover.
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame?
Post by: Tom on February 20, 2020, 07:47:05 PM
Would be easier to take the Ambo bodywork and put that on a Tonti bike.
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame?
Post by: Turin on February 20, 2020, 07:48:43 PM
still have to swap out the timing cover. Or modify the tonti frame.
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame?
Post by: John Croucher on February 20, 2020, 09:09:14 PM
Just swap the heads and pistons, carbs and maybe the cam.  The rest is the same on the EVT 1100 block.

This Old Tractor has manuals with dimensions from the various engine models.  Many parts are interchangeable. 

Swap out the transmission gear for a different gear ratio also. 
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame?
Post by: Tom H on February 20, 2020, 10:10:22 PM
This sounds like it's a bit more trouble than it's worth to make this fit a Loop. I should probably wait for a Convert or the like engine. Maybe if this would have just been a EV engine, it would be easy enough. Even if it was a FI EV.

It's still very temping to resurrect this bike, but I'm not really a sport bike rider.

Thank you!!!!!
Tom
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame? Case closed.
Post by: fotoguzzi on February 21, 2020, 08:03:40 AM
I put an EV engine with FI in a Convert.

(https://photos.smugmug.com/EVert-project/i-zjP29rV/0/e399e03c/M/IMG_0457-M.jpg) (https://fotoguzzi.smugmug.com/EVert-project/i-zjP29rV/A)
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame?
Post by: jumpmaster on February 21, 2020, 04:27:16 PM
Would be easier to take the Ambo bodywork and put that on a Tonti bike.

I don't come close to having the talent or deep enough pockets to seriously consider doing something like this; BUT, I can understand the attraction of trying it.  Sometimes ya just gotta try something to see if it can be done. Plus, the ultimate payoff is that there probably won't be another one just like it on the planet, much less the block.
Title: Re: Sport 1000 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame? Case closed.
Post by: Tom H on February 21, 2020, 10:26:04 PM
Foto, that is sweet!! :thumb:

If the donor would have been a Tonti based engine, I would do it, but the Spine seemed like too much hassle.

I keep thinking of tearing apart my EVT, but I just can't bring myself to do it.


(https://i.ibb.co/bg0h2kB/WP-20171027-15-32-03-Pro-3-guzzi-in-yard.jpg) (https://ibb.co/bg0h2kB)


Tom
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Engine in Tonti or Loop frame? Case closed.
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on February 22, 2020, 08:40:40 AM
There are a number of late Tonti engines on ebay relative inexpensively. Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1998-1999-2000-Moto-Guzzi-California-ENGINE-MOTOR-V11-EV-1100/311256960048