Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Kiwi_Roy on November 03, 2021, 06:24:06 PM

Title: Convert Ignition
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on November 03, 2021, 06:24:06 PM
The ignition system on my Convert is very simple, 2 coils, 2 condensers and two sets of points.
At one stage I noticed a quantity of what looked like oil below the coils so I suspect I may have lost the oil out of one of the coils and now I have one cylinder cutting out.
I inspected the coils and see what looks like a couple of hairline cracks in the insulator, these are the original BM200C coils
I tried swapping the condensers around but I still have the same cylinder not firing,
I replaced plugs, filed and re-gapped the points.
I have a circuit through both coils to ground, around 10K Ohms from the resistor cap to chassis but I think the next step might be to purchase 2 new coils.
Any suggestions on what coils to order
Any upgrades to the points system, is there a solid state upgrade to the dual point system.
Is there a car type coil I could pick up at an auto wrecker?
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: pehayes on November 03, 2021, 06:41:31 PM
Any suggestions on what coils to order
Any upgrades to the points system, is there a solid state upgrade to the dual point system.

YMMV, but for simplicity you should upgrade to a DYNA-III ignition.  Once it is set accurately you can pretty much forget.  Maybe an annual drop of oil to keep the stock advancer system free.
Match the ignition with new coils from MGCYCLE.
Ditch the stock, original metal spark plug caps.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: n3303j on November 03, 2021, 06:57:25 PM

(https://i.ibb.co/nDnPQsq/Screenshot-20211103-195156-Chrome.jpg) (https://ibb.co/nDnPQsq)

https://www.powerarc.com/paproducts.html#cycle

Or go this route and you eliminate both the points and the mechanical advance. It also shuts down the coils if you stall the bike but leave the ignition on. Plus it has a rev limiter too.

Made in USA.
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: moto-uno on November 03, 2021, 07:05:04 PM
Hi Roy , contact me before you spend any money ! Peter (in Burnaby)
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: Danpw on November 03, 2021, 07:14:26 PM
Another good electronic option that offers full control with rev limiter etc is

https://www.trispark.com.au/blog/plug-gap/new-kit-for-moto-guzzi-fb-0030/

Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on November 03, 2021, 07:26:20 PM
Kiwi_Roy: I'll send you a pair of good original coils for free (you pay postage).
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: 80CX100 on November 03, 2021, 09:02:35 PM
      If you can fit them in, the big blue Boschs work well.

      No experience, but I've read coils from old VWs will work.

      fwiw ymmv good luck
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: Rich A on November 03, 2021, 10:03:40 PM
I went the Dyna III route for my 'vert even though there have been reports of failures. Fitting everything on a Convert is a little fiddly because of all the extra stuff needed for the hydraulics. I made some brackets and mounted the coils on the top tube of the frame--it's a tight fit. I had to move the voltage regulator to get the coils in, so I also upgraded the charging system with a Euromoto Duralast. The box went on the frame near the battery. Expensive, but so far, I'm glad I did it.

Rich A


(https://i.ibb.co/cvmBfxM/P1030186.jpg) (https://ibb.co/cvmBfxM)

(https://i.ibb.co/RShd93q/P1030200.jpg) (https://ibb.co/RShd93q)
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: Scout63 on November 04, 2021, 07:28:23 AM
I think Charlie had the mic drop with the free oem coil offer. Stock coils in proper order are great and fitment is easy.
Title: Re: Convert Ignition
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on November 04, 2021, 05:12:20 PM
Kiwi_Roy: I'll send you a pair of good original coils for free (you pay postage).
PM Sent