Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: aklawok on June 05, 2022, 02:37:35 AM
-
Well the weather here in western Alaska has been exceptionally the last 2 weeks, warm weather no rain and bluebird skies all the roads are open and mostly dry. So me and my hunny decided to take a long delayed trip from Nome 75mi. up to Teller ( N65.273 W166.356). I did not make this trip last year on account of bad road and worse weather! here are some pics along the way:
(https://i.ibb.co/qYGm23M/IMG-20220603-141344-510.jpg) (https://ibb.co/qYGm23M) (https://i.ibb.co/zV8VqHc/IMG-20220603-141436-866.jpg)
so this is the view south towards the Bering sea @ wooly lagoon (mi40) if you look at the horizon just left of bike you can just see the mysterious Sledge island. some of the best drinking water anywhere from the creek running under this culvert (sign to wooly lagoon) my hunny just filled up a jug!
(https://ibb.co/zV8VqHc) (https://i.ibb.co/27RJSpm/IMG-20220603-151205-025.jpg) (https://ibb.co/27RJSpm) (https://i.ibb.co/JHHCZbD/IMG-20220603-151210-185.jpg)
View of Grantley harbor descending into Teller (about mi68) still partially frozen over! while the road is entirely gravel and lots of potholes and washouts this was the worst part of the road.
(https://ibb.co/JHHCZbD) (https://i.ibb.co/s3MM99P/IMG-20220603-183926-752.jpg) (https://ibb.co/s3MM99P) (https://i.ibb.co/KxFHngq/IMG-20220603-184001-817.jpg)
After visiting with stacy's family (my hunny) we all rode out to the end of the sandspit of the channel separating Brevig mission from Teller, this is the farthest northwest (west) that can be driven to (at least from nome!) in north america! and this is for certain the first time a Motto Guzzi has been here! (looking south Teller in background)
(https://ibb.co/KxFHngq) (https://i.ibb.co/qxbNm77/IMG-20220603-184303-405.jpg) (https://ibb.co/qxbNm77)
the whole family for a good ol' fashioned Eskimo marshmallow smores roast on the beach, too perfect a day!
(https://i.ibb.co/QvffqTt/IMG-20220603-201449-036.jpg) (https://ibb.co/QvffqTt)
there are still some old dinosaurs laying about on the tundra, this gold dredge last operated in the 1930's at gold run creek as seen from the road.
It seemed that I grimaced every time I hit every hidden pothole (hard!) there and back, but the CalVin held up fine, better than my hunny who is now grumbling of a sore back! even under ideal conditions the roads here are treacherous at best; there were at least 4 cars left in various places with flats or wrecked! one of the reasons I seldom go all the way to Teller.
-
Thanks for taking us to a part of the world that most of us never see.. :thumb:
-
Thanks for sharing this! I have always been curious about these remote places in Alaska.
-
Glad you made it back.
Glad you got some beautiful days
-
You brought back some memories with that post--- I drove out to Teller on that road to chat with folks, best conversation was with the legendary Joe Garnie. Didn't do it on a Guzzi though ...
-
An epic adventure and photos...Thanks for sharing! :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :smiley:
-
You brought back some memories with that post--- I drove out to Teller on that road to chat with folks, best conversation was with the legendary Joe Garnie. Didn't do it on a Guzzi though ...
The road less traveled is always more memorable on a Guzzi :bike-037:
Mushing in the villages has been steadily on the decline for some time. the cost to feed and care for a dog lot goes up and more people are more reliant on snowmachines. uncle joe has reduced his kenneland I dont know if he is still racing at all. now as far as famous mushers go I have spent much time listening to howard farley's stories of the early Iditarod. I have a front row seat for the finish most years as I work right here downtown Nome. I was born under a wandering star, but life (and two exes) have kept me mostly grounded, but there is no place that I'd rather be, every time I visit the outside world it only reminds me how much it mostly sucks! no offense to you "lower 48'ers" lol!
-
Fantastic! You are now officially a legend for having claimed this geographic prize for Guzzi!
So what's so mysterious about Sledge Island?
-
I hate to admit being old.
I've been a MGNOC member for many years. In the very early years, the national rally was always in Kansas. Annually we had a participant who rode down from North Pole, Alaska. I can't remember his name.
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
-
Thanks for the post Ken, keep 'em coming :thumb:
-
Fantastic! You are now officially a legend for having claimed this geographic prize for Guzzi!
So what's so mysterious about Sledge Island?
easy to see from Nome, but if I didn't tell you it was in the pic. it "mysteriously" disappears lol!
sledge is. is a national wildlife refuge. migratory birds and marine mammals go there, setting foot on it without a permit in summer is a no-no. however we have snow machined there (over frozen ocean) once about 25mi. off shore. ice conditions have not been good enough to do it again in last 12 years or so.
-
Love it! :thumb:
Thanks for taking us along.