Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: egschade on August 19, 2026, 09:07:31 AM
-
I really haven't ridden much the last few years and hardly any this year. Despite my attempts at remaining fit I can't ride more than than an hour without it hurting. Throw in a degrading ability to focus, what seems like 20x more inattentive drivers, competing hobbies, and five severe accidents to people I know, I feel it's time to hang up my helmet.
I've never had a street accident in all my years of riding so keeping that streak going is making more sense. Besides, it's just not that much fun anymore. I thought it would be a relatively easy decision but am surprised about how conflicted I feel. I guess over 55 years, motorcycling becomes part of who you are.
I sold my SL350 a few weeks ago and just listed my like-new V7 Stornello (with 334 miles) on Marketplace and here in the Swap Meet.
Thanks to all the members who make this a great forum and to Luap who keeps it running. I'll still visit, just not as frequently.
-
Sometimes a man has to make a bittersweet life decision like you are making at this time.
This type of decision is a personal one and outside influence should have no weight in your decision to stop riding motorcycles.
Cash in your great memories of the days you spent with your buddies and the great times you spent on all the bikes you’ve owned and enjoyed and don’t look back or question your decisions.
You might as well hang around here with your WGC pals that you have accumulated over the years and keeps us abreast of your future life’s adventures.
Be safe and be blessed my WGC brother.
NCDan/Danny
-
Been difficult since pneumonia in Nov but I have a sidecar rig. I got the EV on the centerstand the other day so I must be getting stronger. I'll continue till I can't . Then I'll get rid of all but the rig. Be safe all.
-
I really haven't ridden much the last few years and hardly any this year. Despite my attempts at remaining fit I can't ride more than than an hour without it hurting. Throw in a degrading ability to focus, what seems like 20x more inattentive drivers, competing hobbies, and five severe accidents to people I know, I feel it's time to hang up my helmet.
I've never had a street accident in all my years of riding so keeping that streak going is making more sense. Besides, it's just not that much fun anymore. I thought it would be a relatively easy decision but am surprised about how conflicted I feel. I guess over 55 years, motorcycling becomes part of who you are.
I sold my SL350 a few weeks ago and just listed my like-new V7 Stornello (with 334 miles) on Marketplace and here in the Swap Meet.
Thanks to all the members who make this a great forum and to Luap who keeps it running. I'll still visit, just not as frequently.
I'm half sad for you and half envious. I'll be 72 in a few days and while I was able to kick cigarettes in my 20s, I can't count the number of times I've said I was going to give up riding and turned around and got another bike. The problem for me is it is still fun to straddle a bike and fire it up and my clock is winding down anyway. I was living and working in downtown Atlanta in my 30s and 40s and commuted on nice days to work in the capitol complex. I came home after another near miss and told my wife I was selling my bike. She said a little angrily, "Just don't sell your helmet this time." Maybe hang on to a helmet, just in case.
-
Eric,
Tough call for all of us, but it is in ALL of our futures. I just hope that I am as wise as you to know when and my friends and family don't have to force the issue.
Pain sucks........... FWIW, I have to live on Bayer Back and Body as well as rotate between Motrin and Tylenol in order to ride. Too many old injuries and bodily issues to not. SO far my liver and kidneys tolerate the abuse. I also have significant central vestibular issues from too many concussions and TBI that leave me with balance and vision issues. That is what will likely take me out.
Good luck to you, and stay in touch.
-
I really haven't ridden much the last few years and hardly any this year. Despite my attempts at remaining fit I can't ride more than than an hour without it hurting. Throw in a degrading ability to focus, what seems like 20x more inattentive drivers, competing hobbies, and five severe accidents to people I know, I feel it's time to hang up my helmet.
I've never had a street accident in all my years of riding so keeping that streak going is making more sense. Besides, it's just not that much fun anymore. I thought it would be a relatively easy decision but am surprised about how conflicted I feel. I guess over 55 years, motorcycling becomes part of who you are.
I sold my SL350 a few weeks ago and just listed my like-new V7 Stornello (with 334 miles) on Marketplace and here in the Swap Meet.
Thanks to all the members who make this a great forum and to Luap who keeps it running. I'll still visit, just not as frequently.
It sounds like you are making a wise decision, which is much better than letting the Laws of Physics make the decision for you. The Laws of Physics are merciless, especially in regards to other vehicles on the street.
Depending upon your situation, you might enjoy some mild off-road/trail riding/trials riding. I know quite a off road riders who have never, ever ridden a motorcycle on the road due to the high level of perceived danger.
Long time off road riders gravitate towards trials riding as old age sets in. We all joke that it is more fun tipping over at 1 mph than hitting a tree at 20 mph. Several guys in our trials club are in their 70's, one over 80, and one that recently gave up at 86, and was still riding well at 85.
Life has a lot to offer. Motorcycling of all flavors is only a small slice of life. I wish you the best.
-
I really haven't ridden much the last few years and hardly any this year. Despite my attempts at remaining fit I can't ride more than than an hour without it hurting. Throw in a degrading ability to focus, what seems like 20x more inattentive drivers, competing hobbies, and five severe accidents to people I know, I feel it's time to hang up my helmet.
I've never had a street accident in all my years of riding so keeping that streak going is making more sense. Besides, it's just not that much fun anymore. I thought it would be a relatively easy decision but am surprised about how conflicted I feel. I guess over 55 years, motorcycling becomes part of who you are.
I sold my SL350 a few weeks ago and just listed my like-new V7 Stornello (with 334 miles) on Marketplace and here in the Swap Meet.
Thanks to all the members who make this a great forum and to Luap who keeps it running. I'll still visit, just not as frequently.
First off, congratulations on making your own decisions about these this. The alternative is someone else, or a poor circumstance, makes the decision for you.
As has been suggested, please consider sticking around. There are good people here with good ideas and a lot of good information. Nothing wrong with this virtual campfire.
-
Yup. We make the decision or it gets made for us, in some fashion. IN the same boat with medical issues, mature aging but not giving up too very much without a fight and some months ago torn rotator cuff. (FU-ed shoulder). So thinning herd down to one bike even if I can't ride (Much) I'll always have one to adore in the garage..
-
I just turned 72 and am doing pretty well considering what I have done to myself over the years. For several reasons my hands are somewhat weak. Currently just have the T-3. In NM where I was living in the mountains the last fours years I kind of got curved out. Also riding there required constant shifting and the T-3 clutch is not like the Norge. So...what I am getting at is the T-3 and living back in quite rural KS with lots of paved roads with little traffic and minimal curves is suiting me just fine at this point. The only thing keeping me from getting something small to putter off pavement is lack of garage space.
GliderJohn
-
Stuff thats no fun anymore,no reason to keep doing it.At 81 I’m balancing the fun vs the discomfort,so far the fun is ahead.By the way,my son got me on a dirt bike for the first time in around 20 years,easy to cross that off the list as I don’t like dumping bikes with me on them.
-
You friend are wise. :bow: A hard decision to make no doubt but one that we all must come to grips with at some point sadly.
My dad a few years back did the same and I swear it was as hard on me as it was on him because it's something that has always been such a big part of his identity and I got to share with him. He sold them off one by one till he was left with my favorite which he gave me.
Now we watch dirt track racing on the weekends and he tells me stories I've heard a thousand times but never get tired of.
-
There will come the day when it is right to stop with some activities we love(d), and I understand from what you wrote why you think the time for you to stop riding is close, egschade. Regardless of what comes next, I hope you will be able to enjoy other aspects of your life for many, many years to come.
I want to be able to ride - and play with my grand children - as long as possible. That's why, at the age of 62, I have changed my training from heavy lifting to higher reps, more functional movements and flexibility, and also endurance training. My body is mangled after lots of crashes and heavy injuries, but I have decided to fight decay as much as I can, within the limits of common sense (listening to the body and accepting its limitations). Losing 25 lbs since Xmas has also helped my daily functionality. I will admit it was a grief process that took several years to sacrifice maximum power and muscle size, but I have not only lost weight, I have also lost some aches and pains. And my stamina is way up. But there are no guarantees, regardless of what we do, that we will be here tomorrow, or how long we will keep fit. All I can do is my bit, the rest is up to luck - or lack thereof.
-
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."
Dylan Thomas 1947
-
Stuff thats no fun anymore, no reason to keep doing it. At 81 I’m balancing the fun vs the discomfort, so far the fun is ahead. By the way, my son got me on a dirt bike for the first time in around 20 years, easy to cross that off the list as I don’t like dumping bikes with me on them.
Sounds like your son may have been plotting an early inheritance.....
"Here Dad, since you are new to dirt biking, it is best to start with a Big Bore. That way you won't stall it as often....."
-
Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Will move on to a nice, older sports car like a Spitfire or Alpha Spider. Low to the ground, sharp handling, open cockpit. Not a motorcycle but still experiencing the elements and lots of fun. I've had several in the past and think another will scratch my gearhead itch.
-
Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Will move on to a nice, older sports car like a Spitfire or Alpha Spider. Low to the ground, sharp handling, open cockpit. Not a motorcycle but still experiencing the elements and lots of fun. I've had several in the past and think another will scratch my gearhead itch.
I hope the enjoyment level stays the same or even increases!!
-
Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Will move on to a nice, older sports car like a Spitfire or Alpha Spider. Low to the ground, sharp handling, open cockpit. Not a motorcycle but still experiencing the elements and lots of fun. I've had several in the past and think another will scratch my gearhead itch.
A friend threw out his back a couple of years ago, and it prevents him from riding his motorcycles. Part of the problem is that he insist in bikes with a sporty riding position (CBR954RR and K1300S respectively), that already forced him to take really strong painkillers to ride due to a totally destroyed shoulder. While he is much more comfortable sitting upright, he insist on only having bikes with low bars placed far ahead. Now in his 60s and with an ailing body, I fear his riding days may be over due to stubbornness.
Anyway, the point I was going to make, is that he too has gone to two-seater cabriolet, some BMW model. In the meantime, his wife rides the bikes on her commute to work.
-
Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Will move on to a nice, older sports car like a Spitfire or Alpha Spider. Low to the ground, sharp handling, open cockpit. Not a motorcycle but still experiencing the elements and lots of fun. I've had several in the past and think another will scratch my gearhead itch.
We had many old Fiats for years. X1/9, 1800 Spider and even an 850 Spider. A 124 Sport L, Brava and 131 etc. Loved them all, lots of fun. My wife greatly enjoyed them as well.
-
Did I mention my < 400mi Stornello is up for sale in the Swap Meet?
-
What is the purpose of the h pipe replacement? I received an extra when I bought the bike with other pipes, so I reckon it was replaced.
-
Consider a step thru scooter. Any maxi-scooter would work. Many good options out there. They're light compared to a Moto Guzzi. You might get lucky and find a Vespa near-by.
-
Consider a step thru scooter. Any maxi-scooter would work. Many good options out there. They're light compared to a Moto Guzzi. You might get lucky and find a Vespa near-by.
Thought about it but no, going to get off 2-wheels. Drivers are pretty bad in my part of NJ and a scooter is just a slower target.
-
Some of the maxi-scooters have large engines. 400cc, 650cc 0r 750cc. I have a Piaggio MP3 500. It moves faster than cars off a stop light. :boozing:
-
Sold the Stornello today - end of an era. Will put my riding gear in storage for now in case the itch returns.
(https://i.ibb.co/CsMk4G10/20260923-121606.jpg) (https://ibb.co/CsMk4G10)
-
Sold the Stornello today - end of an era. Will put my riding gear in storage for now in case the itch returns.
(https://i.ibb.co/CsMk4G10/20260923-121606.jpg) (https://ibb.co/CsMk4G10)
A sad day indeed.
Time to reflect.
Good move on keeping the kit for now, you just never know.
-
Sold the Stornello today - end of an era. Will put my riding gear in storage for now in case the itch returns.
(https://i.ibb.co/CsMk4G10/20260923-121606.jpg) (https://ibb.co/CsMk4G10)
There are more and more 4 wheel vehicles today that can generate a ton of adrenaline and don’t cost a fortune.
Pete
-
Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Will move on to a nice, older sports car like a Spitfire or Alpha Spider. Low to the ground, sharp handling, open cockpit. Not a motorcycle but still experiencing the elements and lots of fun. I've had several in the past and think another will scratch my gearhead itch.
Don't forget the Miata. It will be my replacement for 2-wheels, when the time comes.
I owned a 1991 Miata for many years. Fun car. The late model, '24-up, have really been upgraded. I'm looking forward to picking up a Club Brembo/BBS/Recaro optioned car in the next few years.
20-years ago, I was riding 20,000 miles per year. This year will be in the hundreds. And the daily news of motorcycle crashes/deaths in my growing metro don't help. Heavy traffic and distracted drivers take the fun out of daily/local riding.
-
Don't forget the Miata. It will be my replacement for 2-wheels, when the time comes.
I owned a 1991 Miata for many years. Fun car. The late model, '24-up, have really been upgraded. I'm looking forward to picking up a Club Brembo/BBS/Recaro optioned car in the next few years.
20-years ago, I was riding 20,000 miles per year. This year will be in the hundreds. And the daily news of motorcycle crashes/deaths in my growing metro don't help. Heavy traffic and distracted drivers take the fun out of daily/local riding.
I've owned many roadsters: Triumph GT6 and TR250, Alfa Spider, Fiat Spider, BMW Z3 and yes, a Miata. Pretty set on getting a TR6. I understand it's not as reliable as a Miata but it's considered by many the last of the 'classic' British roadsters.
-
MGB or a Midget?
-
MGB or a Midget?
Prefer the handling and power of a TR-6. Midget is too small and I find MGBs a little soft.
Looking at this one. Recently rebuilt with overdrive.
(https://i.ibb.co/FL1sTdDd/IMG-20260924-071637.png) (https://ibb.co/FL1sTdDd)
-
Any luck finding one?
-
I was more of a fan of the Austin Healy 3000 MK3. I navigated time distance rallys in college for a guy who owned one. The electric overdrive was the cat's meow.
kk
-
Interesting about perceived limitations - they can change.
I've purchased "my last motorcycle" five or six times now... ;)
-
I was more of a fan of the Austin Healy 3000 MK3. I navigated time distance rallys in college for a guy who owned one. The electric overdrive was the cat's meow.
kk
That would have been my first choice. Looking for car while in the Navy in San Diego, used car guy had an Austin Healy 100 and a Sunbeam Alpine. The Austin Healy was ten bucks more a month but got rubber in second gear. I had to settle for the Alpine. Alpine blew up in Texas while I was driving home after discharge.
Pete
-
Any luck finding one?
Going to look at this one. Factory OD with extensive list of engine and chassis maintenance & upgrades.
(https://i.ibb.co/Cstm45MC/IMG-20260924-180456-1.jpg) (https://ibb.co/Cstm45MC)
-
Interesting about perceived limitations - they can change.
I've purchased "my last motorcycle" five or six times now... ;)
Very true but except for a tour and maybe a couple other rides over the last two years it just hasn't been much fun. Harder to concentrate, less time before pain sets in, four serious accidents to friends/acquaintances, and growing population of inattentive drivers convinced me to quit while I'm ahead.