Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Gliderjohn on August 28, 2026, 09:06:18 AM

Title: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Gliderjohn on August 28, 2026, 09:06:18 AM
Dusty is into his ninth day in ICU in Tulsa with serious heart and lung issues. Currently sedated and on a ventilator. Thought some here would want to know.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: guzzisteve on August 28, 2026, 09:32:03 AM
Thank you John.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: jcctx on August 28, 2026, 10:53:39 AM
Sorry to hear this; pls keep us updated if possible!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: redrider90 on August 28, 2026, 11:05:27 AM
This is sad news indeed. Thanks for putting this up.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: RinkRat II on August 28, 2026, 11:11:02 AM

      Keep up the fight OldBike54  :boxing: Prayers are headed to You Brother.

       Paul B
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Dave Swanson on August 28, 2026, 11:39:40 AM
I have been hopeful that he will update his thread over on ADV, but his last check in was Wednesday 8/26.   We had a nice chat on the phone on the 16th which was a few days before this all came crashing down.   

Hang in there old buddy! 
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on August 28, 2026, 12:27:00 PM
Just to fill in some gaps.
Dusty has been in ICU for a week
He and I had a good visit on the phone Wed  but his sister contacted me Thur to let me know that (with his consent) he had been intubated  and sedated. He is getting Lasix via IV
As of this morning I'm hearing secondhand that his nurse said Meds are working and heart  is behaving
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on August 28, 2026, 12:46:05 PM
I have not received any more news yet today.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: mhershon on August 28, 2026, 01:03:44 PM
Good thoughts going your way, Dusty. Gary Nixon will have to get along without you for a while longer!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Shorty on August 28, 2026, 03:18:53 PM
Get well amigo!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: PJPR01 on August 28, 2026, 05:27:28 PM
Had been calling him over the last several days, but he wasn't picking up.  Hopefully he's getting better soon and can chat again.

Delrod or Glider...do you have a way to contact his nursing station?  Which VA is he at?
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on August 28, 2026, 05:38:15 PM
Had been calling him over the last several days, but he wasn't picking up.  Hopefully he's getting better soon and can chat again.

Delrod or Glider...do you have a way to contact his nursing station?  Which VA is he at?

My information is coming through his sister. Doubt the hospital or nursing station would tell us anything without releases from Dusty which is unlikely currently.
He is at the OSU med center in Tulsa, not a VA since the VA does not have what it needed to treat Dusty.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: PJPR01 on August 28, 2026, 05:54:00 PM
My information is coming through his sister. Doubt the hospital or nursing station would tell us anything without releases from Dusty which is unlikely currently.
He is at the OSU med center in Tulsa, not a VA since the VA does not have what it needed to treat Dusty.

Thanks John...I just spoke with the nurse station there at the hospital and passed on a note to let Dusty know I've called and others are sending their best wishes.  She'll let him know when he wakes up.  Appreciate you letting us know here.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Dharma Bum on August 28, 2026, 10:35:23 PM
We're all pulling for him, hoping for the best from the Hotchkiss Rally attendees.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: balvenie on August 29, 2026, 05:07:02 AM
All the best to Dusty. We used to correspond via personal messages before he departed and I have heard nothing (to speak of), since.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on August 29, 2026, 06:54:29 AM
Just to fill in some gaps.
Dusty has been in ICU for a week
He and I had a good visit on the phone Wed  but his sister contacted me Thur to let me know that (with his consent) he had been intubated  and sedated. He is getting Lasix via IV
As of this morning I'm hearing secondhand that his nurse said Meds are working and heart  is behaving

Thanks, Doug.. Dorcia and I have been on pins and needles since we heard. Dusty is one of her (and mine) bestys who occasionally talks her out of jumping off the wall.. :smiley: Hang in there, pal!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: wirespokes on August 29, 2026, 11:09:46 AM
Ooh, bad news! Dusty, get yourself together and wheelchair out of there! Bad things happen in hospitals.  :grin:
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: nmroadrunner on August 29, 2026, 02:05:59 PM
Peace and strength, WaHoThuk!  :smiley:
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on August 29, 2026, 03:24:33 PM
Got word a little while ago. Dusty is of the vent alert and doing well. Nurse indicated at least a couple more days in ICU
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on August 29, 2026, 03:50:28 PM
Confirmed. Great news!
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on August 29, 2026, 06:14:23 PM
 :thumb:
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Denis on August 29, 2026, 06:21:24 PM
Good mojo for a solid recovery!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: SIR REAL ED on August 29, 2026, 06:52:37 PM


Does anyone have an address for Dusty where we could send a get well soon card?
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: jrt on August 29, 2026, 07:09:43 PM
Aw, man- this is the first I've heard of this.  I hope Dusty is doing well and improving.  I'll send him a note if there is an appropriate address. 
I enjoyed talking with him at the early summer rally- he is a good guy.   Folks- take care of yourselves!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on August 30, 2026, 01:38:01 PM
Do not have it confirmed from his sister but he may be back on the ventilator.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on August 30, 2026, 02:32:58 PM
Confirmed dang it. Back on the vent and critical.
GldierJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on August 30, 2026, 05:00:45 PM
He's sedated but responsive.  Scheduled for TEE tomorrow. Transesophageal echocardiogram is a specialized medical test that uses sound waves to create detailed, real-time images of your heart from inside the esophagus
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: mhershon on August 30, 2026, 08:22:09 PM
Thank you, thank you, Kansans and Oklahomans, for these updates. Bunch of us out here are rooting for Dusty. Keep comin' up with good news, please...
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: moto on August 31, 2026, 05:25:46 PM
Though my communications with him were only online, add me to the list of those rooting for his quick recovery. I thought his contributions were always exemplary and hope to see more again. Good luck!
Moto/John
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on August 31, 2026, 07:44:18 PM
He got through the TEE and dialysis today.  He was able to talk to his sister a bit.  They'll do more dialysis and blood tests.  He's still in ICU.

Dusty is a smart and well-read person.  He's a vet, quite an athlete, and taught me a lot about mechanics and helped me with household projects that I'd never figure out on my own.  Frankly, one of the last people I could imagine in this position.  Hopeful that all those qualities will pay off for him now.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on September 01, 2026, 09:11:51 AM
I think Lowryterh said all we know. A lot of positive signs from yesterday and some test results should be revealed today.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Cam3512 on September 01, 2026, 04:38:55 PM
Get well Dusty.

Cam
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: gsf12man on September 01, 2026, 06:14:25 PM
My very best wishes to him, I'd often wondered how he was doing these days, and now this. Here's hoping for a good recovery.

Tom
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on September 02, 2026, 03:02:26 PM
Per Dusty's sister
They have extubated, he is breathing on his own, he is asking about food.
They are trying to keep him from talking. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 02, 2026, 03:15:57 PM
"He's coming back. Don't stop praying, yet." (from his sister)
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Muzz on September 02, 2026, 10:55:41 PM
Pass on my best wished please John. I do miss hearing from him.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: mhershon on September 03, 2026, 04:09:05 PM
Several times a day I check this thread, and when I don't see the NEW banner I'm relieved. Viva Dusty!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 03, 2026, 10:08:43 PM
He's improving. 

He's doing better and continuing to improve. On the BiAP to boost his oxygen. So it's difficult for him to talk, and they're trying to keep him quiet. He really needs more rest before receiving visitors and phone calls.

Better today than yesterday... hopefully better tomorrow.   Giving him best wishes and encouragement, feel free to let me know.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on September 04, 2026, 06:35:23 AM
Quote
Giving him best wishes and encouragement, feel free to let me know.
Be sure to let him know that Dorcia (and I) care. A lot..
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 04, 2026, 11:32:09 AM
Be sure to let him know that Dorcia (and I) care. A lot..
So far on this board and Avd Rider, he's up to about 60 well wishers.  For sure he knows you're one of them.  But I'll let him know when I can.  I have no direct contact with him, all info is on a text chain from his sister.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on September 04, 2026, 01:09:41 PM
Part of the deal is trying to keep Dusty quiet and  no talking. So you all know his sister has  her hands full
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 04, 2026, 04:57:04 PM
Today's update is that he's holding his own. Pretty tiring after dialysis and breathing treatments. His voice is weak and he's resting. His sister told him that all of his friends and buddies here are sending well wishes. He smiled and gave her a thumbs-up.

They've requested a surgical consultant from the cardiology department at a local hospital.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 05, 2026, 03:18:04 PM
I'm guessing he's a little better today.  I know he's reading and typing a little bit.  Slowly coming back. 
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 05, 2026, 04:49:35 PM
Dusty's sister messaged this to me late this morning. Great news!

"He is off the ventilator, since Wednesday and today he is much better, quite alert. Talking to everyone and telling stories. He has quite a backlog built up. His voice is too weak for phone calls yet, but he is reading adventure rider and maybe posting a little."
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: redrider90 on September 05, 2026, 08:10:13 PM
Dusty's sister messaged this to me late this morning. Great news!

"He is off the ventilator, since Wednesday and today he is much better, quite alert. Talking to everyone and telling stories. He has quite a backlog built up. His voice is too weak for phone calls yet, but he is reading adventure rider and maybe posting a little."
GliderJohn

Well good news indeed. Sounds like Dusty is a miracle of 21st century medicine. And it also sounds like he has been through and hell of a ride and it will take awhile to rebuild his body. I wish him well and look forward to a chat with him again. I'll get in line.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: balvenie on September 06, 2026, 04:22:14 AM
Good luck Dusty :grin: :thumb:
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 06, 2026, 09:54:29 AM
Just got off the phone with Dusty. Sounds stronger than I would have guessed. Still has a long road yet to recovery.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 06, 2026, 12:02:38 PM
I just heard from Dusty.  He's hoarse, but his voice is strong, and his thoughts are coherent.  He's graduated to a liquid diet.  I read him all the IDs of you guys on his thread.  He was greatly appreciative.  Some of you he hasn't heard from in many years. 

He's still critical but on the "up ramp".  He hopes all of this will "heal old wounds". 

It was a heart warming chat.  Pardon the pun. 
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: travelingbyguzzi on September 06, 2026, 03:01:07 PM
Well, this is all good news. Of course we all want a positive outcome. Watching this thread closely.


Bill      Lovelady
IS Esikmo Spy
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Dharma Bum on September 06, 2026, 06:48:58 PM
So glad to hear!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Dave Swanson on September 06, 2026, 10:32:16 PM
For all those that have had the pleasure of his company or only know Dusty from the internet, you will enjoy this little video.

Keep hanging Dusty!! :kiss:

https://youtu.be/CldqFwOA2-o?si=wls7dq8yYQDBvmnd

Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 07, 2026, 07:51:37 AM
He wrote last night that he's out of the ICU into a regular room.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: SIR REAL ED on September 07, 2026, 08:16:42 AM

It might be a good time to change the name of this thread to "Dusty is doing better!"

Positive vibes baby!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on September 08, 2026, 09:15:13 AM
My phone says I had a missed call from Dusty at 3:30 am this morning.  :smiley: That must be the mother of all butt dials.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on September 08, 2026, 09:31:49 AM
Chuck it is possible that he did call you and also possible that it was a butt dial. He did call me directly but he was speaking so poorly that we could not visit. One of our guys is  working on a face to face visit so maybe I will have some info shortly
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 08, 2026, 10:26:22 AM
He tried to call me at 2:30 this morning. Must have been having a restless night.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Nick on September 08, 2026, 02:04:53 PM
Yo Dusty,
Just read about this. Best wishes and get well soon.
Nick from Jersey
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on September 09, 2026, 06:59:17 AM
I got word last night that that Dusty was being moved to a different hospital  in Tulsa. Apparently better able to deal with some of his cardiac issues. I don't have details but expect to learn more later today. I'm hoping he will get some support from a cardio team there
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 12, 2026, 10:37:55 AM
Received a short email response from Dusty this morning. Says "I can't talk yet on the phone. You can maybe visit next week."
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: delrod on September 13, 2026, 01:59:12 PM
Rode to Tulsa yesterday and visited with Dusty bedside for about an hour and half. He is awake and interacting but his voice is too weak for talking. He is being scared for by a new cardiology team and I would  expect to here some good things this week. He is watching this thread so any words anyone wants to say will be seen by him.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Dirk_S on September 13, 2026, 02:05:18 PM
We’re all rooting for the dude and hope he continues the mend trend upward! I miss seeing him on the forum.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: 2dogs on September 13, 2026, 02:58:55 PM
Get well soon wishes from Canada🇨🇦
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Kev m on September 13, 2026, 04:26:57 PM
Thinking of you man...
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: nc43bsa on September 13, 2026, 08:49:21 PM
Hoping the title of this thread will be amended positively, and soon.

This week, maybe?
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: guzzi4me on September 14, 2026, 05:57:01 PM
So far on this board and Avd Rider, he's up to about 60 well wishers.  For sure he knows you're one of them.  But I'll let him know when I can.  I have no direct contact with him, all info is on a text chain from his sister.

Please add my well wishes to him. I last talked to him about 2 months ago. This is the first I've heard of this.

When he's better and taking phone calls I'll touch bases with him.

Jeff
Fruita CO
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Dharma Bum on September 14, 2026, 10:36:22 PM
I am so glad to hear of his recovery. Likely a long recovery to 100 percent, but he's a fighter with a good attitude. Take the winter off Dusty and heal.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Tkelly on September 15, 2026, 08:24:51 AM
Get well soon Dusty,looking forward to CedarVale.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: redrider90 on September 15, 2026, 12:47:21 PM
Hoping the title of this thread will be amended positively, and soon.

This week, maybe?

Bump that and notice 4000 reads. People are keeping up with Dusty.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 15, 2026, 02:38:52 PM
I am planning to go see Dusty this coming weekend. I will see about updating the thread title after the visit.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: guzzi4me on September 15, 2026, 05:06:06 PM
I am planning to go see Dusty this coming weekend. I will see about updating the thread title after the visit.
GliderJohn

Thank you!!!
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 15, 2026, 08:50:43 PM
I saw him today.  He was just about the same as Doug described, but the doctor was seeing improvement. 

I mentioned the forum.  He told me he can't sign on here.  But I've told him many of the names and IDs of the old gang here wishing him well.  And I'll be glad to pass on more.  I know he was quite gratified when I told him about all his friends on "Wild". 
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 16, 2026, 10:52:39 AM
Baically what John said. Spoke with Dusty's sister this morning. He is stable but weak. Still on a feeding tube. She said the heart treatment team is meeting this afternoon and may make a decision on what specific treatment route they are going to go with. I am still planning to go see him on Friday.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 18, 2026, 09:48:58 PM
I have been with Dusty this afternoon and am spending the night in his room. It has a sofa. He has not had a good day. Very difficult to communicate with as his voice is so week. On advantage of having hearing aids is being able to turn them up beyond what you normally would so that help quite a bit. He is very weak and still on 24/7 oxygen and using a feeding tube. They are planning to do some procedure on his heart on Monday by I have no ideas of the details.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: guzzi4me on September 19, 2026, 12:03:42 AM
John...THANK you for the updates. Please keep us posted and relay all the good vibes going his way.

I always called Dusty the best friend I never met...until CedarVale. Then he became a VERY Good friend! Love the way he makes hush puppies!!!

Thoughts and prayers from Fruita CO.......

Jeff & Laurie
(and Tessa too...our grandaughter!!)
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 19, 2026, 09:32:55 AM
One of the Docs was just in. Sounds like on Monday they are going to run a imaging camera up to a heart valve. He says with this they can get a very close up and clear image. The doc claimed that Dusty is doing a bit better everyday, hope he is right.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Shorty on September 19, 2026, 10:58:52 AM
I went to see Dusty on Friday as well. The hospital could not find him (or would not tell me) until I told them his actual first name. I had to call a friend to get that.  :grin: Then they put a wristband on me with his room number marked on it. When I showed up at his room, his sister said she wasn't made aware of my visit, so she is a pretty protective gatekeeper.  :grin: Dusty was happy to see me, and was trying hard to communicate, but my hearing is so bad it was hit and miss. I would say keep those prayers coming, and if you know his sister,  I'd let her know before driving any real distance to visit. He is under almost constant care, but he made it clear he is going to fight to get well, and he looks forward to more rallies and comraderie.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: jrt on September 19, 2026, 04:20:05 PM
Thank you all for your updates.  I continue to wish Dusty a quick and uneventful recovery. 
jrt 
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 20, 2026, 03:38:28 PM
I went to see Dusty on Friday as well. The hospital could not find him (or would not tell me) until I told them his actual first name. I had to call a friend to get that.  :grin: Then they put a wristband on me with his room number marked on it. When I showed up at his room, his sister said she wasn't made aware of my visit, so she is a pretty protective gatekeeper.  :grin: Dusty was happy to see me, and was trying hard to communicate, but my hearing is so bad it was hit and miss. I would say keep those prayers coming, and if you know his sister,  I'd let her know before driving any real distance to visit. He is under almost constant care, but he made it clear he is going to fight to get well, and he looks forward to more rallies and comraderie.
Three visitors, quite a busy day. 

It's hospital that a person can't just walk in.  They have to let in by security and wear a wrist band.   
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 22, 2026, 08:33:39 PM
Well Damn...
I just heard from his sister (another person report). Unfortunately, he's suffered a setback this evening. He has a UTI and sepsis. Sorry to report.
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: rocker59 on September 23, 2026, 08:12:04 AM
Well Damn...
I just heard from his sister (another person report). Unfortunately, he's suffered a setback this evening. He has a UTI and sepsis. Sorry to report.

Yeah, that last update from his sister did not sound good. 
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: guzzi4me on September 23, 2026, 09:52:24 AM
Come on Dusty! Get well soon...you have a lot more hushpuppies to make!!
Title: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: delrod on September 23, 2026, 09:08:43 PM
I thought it was time to change the title
It's not time for me to declare him well. That's going to be a while
I spent the evening and nite with Dusty and can say for sure some real progress is being made. He has a team of docs and nurses working hard with some goals. I would expect to be able to report more soon and based on what I saw in the last 24 hrs I believe it will be good
Title: Re: Dusty not doing well
Post by: LowRyter on September 23, 2026, 10:54:15 PM
Doug is reporting some improvement in a new thread. 

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=125946.0
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: John A on September 23, 2026, 11:51:53 PM
Thanks, Doug. I believe all the good wishes and prayers for Dusty’s recovery are helping.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 24, 2026, 06:20:00 AM
Good to hear some encouraging words.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: rocker59 on September 24, 2026, 07:37:09 AM
I thought it was time to change the title
 

I merged the two threads, using your new subject line.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: delrod on September 24, 2026, 10:33:41 AM
Thanks Mike.
It was too late in the day for me to attempt anything beyond posting an update
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: nick949 on September 25, 2026, 09:57:15 AM
Please tell Dusty I'm looking forward to seeing more of his comments and likes on ADVRider.
Sending him my best wishes.

Nick
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: nadab_sardar on September 26, 2026, 02:58:34 AM
Dusty is into his ninth day in ICU in Tulsa with serious heart and lung issues. Currently sedated and on a ventilator. Thought some here would want to know.
GliderJohn

Sorry to hear that, John. Nine days on a vent is no small thing. Appreciate you letting us know - keeping Dusty and the family in my thoughts, and hoping for some good news soon. Please keep us posted when you can.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Gliderjohn on September 27, 2026, 03:15:04 PM
The last I heard is that next Wednesday they hope to do the heart valve repair.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: LowRyter on September 29, 2026, 06:06:06 PM
I wish I could share better news. Reports are that he's in palliative care, with no procedures scheduled. Dusty is a fighter. We are hoping for the best.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: rocker59 on September 29, 2026, 06:10:40 PM
Hey friends,  say a prayer or an incant  for Dusty tonight.

I hope he can rally, but sadly he's fading.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: mhershon on September 29, 2026, 06:41:10 PM
I met a girl who sang the blues. I asked her for some happy news, but she just smiled and turned away.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: brider on September 29, 2026, 07:18:10 PM
Very sad to hear of this, my thoughts and prayers to him and his family. I don't believe I had any personal conversations with him on this forum, but his presence was unmistakable and he sure sounds like my kinda guy. Glad to hear of so many friends in this little circle alone rooting for him.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: guzzi4me on September 29, 2026, 10:03:55 PM
Still hoping and praying for the best. Dusty is a wise and gentle soul.
Best thoughts and wishes from Fruita...

Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Dharma Bum on September 29, 2026, 10:25:10 PM
Praying for you, Dusty.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on September 30, 2026, 06:53:44 AM
We love him like a brother. Dorcia isn't doing well with this news. Me either.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: redrider90 on September 30, 2026, 10:09:02 AM
Totally bummed man. We spent many hours over the years taking everything from politics to basketball and all things in. between: sometimes up late at night. Crap. He message me once in the hospital and was fighting hard. He said it was real rough.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Mayor_of_BBQ on September 30, 2026, 09:55:04 PM
Oh man I have missed this news...  I keep in touch with D sporadically via Reddit and was wondering why I hadn't heard from him in weeks and weeks...

that's a damn fine man- Dusty if you are seeing these or having it read to you- we love you brother.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: balvenie on October 01, 2026, 04:57:24 AM
Poor Dusty. We used to have correspondence (said he choosing his words carefully), via these pages (personal messages) but try as he might, he could never convince me of the merit(s) of his culture/way of life. That said, I never held anything against him and purchased a book that he recommended about his home state, the FBI and how the native Americans were cheated. Poor bloke; he tried for so long to right wrongs, or so I felt. Not only must he have felt cheated but frustrated too, because of the failure of those in power to right wrongs, in the face of overwhelming evidence of criminality in high places.

Dusty; a man who failed and who, in doing so, succeeded in educating this foreigner about his virtue. 
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: LowRyter on October 01, 2026, 09:17:54 AM
Poor Dusty. We used to have correspondence (said he choosing his words carefully), via these pages (personal messages) but try as he might, he could never convince me of the merit(s) of his culture/way of life. That said, I never held anything against him and purchased a book that he recommended about his home state, the FBI and how the native Americans were cheated. Poor bloke; he tried for so long to right wrongs, or so I felt. Not only must he have felt cheated but frustrated too, because of the failure of those in power to right wrongs, in the face of overwhelming evidence of criminality in high places.

Dusty; a man who failed and who, in doing so, succeeded in educating this foreigner about his virtue.
Dusty definitely has a moral code.   And has quite a bit of empathy.   He's also walked a difficult path...as I mentioned to him last, he traveled "no simple highway".
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: jcctx on October 01, 2026, 11:46:49 AM
Not good news~ hoping for the best???
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Stretch on October 02, 2026, 10:44:13 AM
All the best to him and his family.

                                  -Stretch
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Gliderjohn on October 02, 2026, 01:03:25 PM
Just saw this post from Dusty's sister on FB. Looks like it was posted a couple of hours ago. She did not give any further information.
GliderJohn


(https://i.ibb.co/VWZYNNgh/Screen-Shot-2026-10-02-at-12-42-25-PM.png) (https://ibb.co/VWZYNNgh)
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: kingoffleece on October 02, 2026, 01:13:43 PM
He's in our prayers
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Gliderjohn on October 02, 2026, 02:36:04 PM
Posting a post from another person on ADV Rider.
GliderJohn

"I texted with Marsha today. It is not looking good. They did not expect him to make it thru the night last night, but he did.

They are going to start weaning him from the various machines he’s connect to and, for lack of a better term, see what happens.

She said, I know he wants to fight, he just has nothing to fight with and that he wouldn’t be happy hooked to machines forever."
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: rocker59 on October 02, 2026, 09:58:32 PM
Dusty has died.  Long live The Sultan of Cedar Vale!
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Gliderjohn on October 02, 2026, 10:02:15 PM
Dusty has died.  Long live The Sultan of Cedar Vale!

Thanks but no thanks.
GliderJoihn
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: guzzi4me on October 02, 2026, 10:25:30 PM
NOT the news we were hoping for. He was a kind and giving soul.
Tomorrow I will wear my t-shirt he designed for CedarVale..."Life at the speed of Moto Guzzi!"

Ride well my friend in your next adventure...until we meet again....

And we will!!!

You shall be missed...especially your hushpuppies...

with admiration and respect,

Jeff & Laurie

Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: rocker59 on October 02, 2026, 11:24:04 PM
Thanks but no thanks.
GliderJoihn

I guess I don't understand this response...   :shocked:
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Gliderjohn on October 03, 2026, 06:46:51 AM
I guess I don't understand this response...   :shocked:

Sorry. Meant thanks for posting the news. The no thanks was that I didn't want to hear that news.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: RHAT on October 03, 2026, 06:49:35 AM


Lakota prayer for the dead
RavenPublished: September 20, 2025Updated: September 20, 2025
Home - Native American Religion - Lakota prayer for the dead

A Lakota Sioux prayer dedicated to the dead from the Vietnam War.

GrandMother East:


From you comes the sun which brings life to us all; I ask that you have the sun shine on my friends here, and bring a new life to them -- a life without the pain and sadness of the world; and to their families, bring your sun for they also need your light for their lives.
GrandFather South:


You bring the storms from the south which brings the rains to nourish us and our crops. Be gentle when you fall on my friends; and as the rain touches them, let it wash away the pain and sadness that they carry with them.

GrandMother West:


You take the sun from us and cradle it in your arms, then you bring darkness onto us so that we may sleep. When you bring the darkness to my friends here, do so without the nightmares that we have had for so long. Let your stars and moon shine on my friends in a gentle manner; and as they look at the stars, they remember that those stars are the spirits of my friends shining on them and those friends are at peace.

GrandFather North:


You are the Warrior, you have ridden alongside my friends here into battle, you have also felt their love and caring when you were wounded or lonely; ride alongside of them, for now they are in this the hardest battle for their life, the battle for inner peace. Now is the time for you to care for them.

GrandFather Sky:


May your songs of the winds and clouds sweep the pain and sadness out of my friends' hearts; as they hear those songs, let them know the spirits who are with those songs are at peace.

GrandMother Earth:


I have asked all the other GrandFathers and GrandMothers to help my friends rid themselves of the troubles that weigh so heavy on their hearts. This way, the weight they carry will be less; and they will walk more softly on you.



GrandMother Earth, from your womb all spirits have come when they return to you; cradle them gently in your arms and allow them to join their friends in the skies. If they want to hurry themselves to you, tell them you are not ready; and they must wait, for now they can pass on peace to others.



May the Great Spirit watch over you, and may you be at peace.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Dirk_S on October 03, 2026, 07:42:25 AM
Very sorry to see this news, and my sympathies to his loved ones. I wish I had known Guzzi and this forum earlier. Seemed like the type of dude I would’ve enjoyed getting to know in person.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: LowRyter on October 03, 2026, 07:46:28 AM
I'll miss you, friend.  May peace be with you.


(https://www.dpreview.com/forums/media/dsc05688-2.3077850/full)
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: SIR REAL ED on October 03, 2026, 07:58:53 AM


Rest in Peace Dusty!
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: sdcr on October 03, 2026, 08:42:47 AM
RIP
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on October 03, 2026, 09:53:37 AM
We're gutted. The world needs more good guys like Dusty..
Quote
GrandFather Sky:


May your songs of the winds and clouds sweep the pain and sadness out of my friends' hearts; as they hear those songs, let them know the spirits who are with those songs are at peace.

Thanks, RHAT
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: BMCMOTO on October 03, 2026, 10:54:49 AM
Kim and I are with Chuck and Dorcia. Hearts broken. We will miss his not infrequent calls and gentle guidance. Much love brother Dusty, travel well my friend!

Brian
 
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: jcctx on October 03, 2026, 11:46:57 AM
Bad news indeed~ Condolences to friends and family,,,,,,,,,,,
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: cliffrod on October 03, 2026, 12:00:22 PM
My interactions with Dusty were limited, but were always good.  He did more for me than he had to do.  I’m saddened by this news but I’m glad his struggle is done.  It’s hard to watch important people die slowly.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Hormel Chavez on October 03, 2026, 12:51:09 PM
Aw man, this is so sad. I knew him for many years on ADVRider. He was a kind soul and a diplomat of the highest order. I always wanted to make it to his Cedar Vale thing one day. RIP Brother.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: travelingbyguzzi on October 03, 2026, 11:09:20 PM
Awful news. My world is a little bit emptier today.

Bill Lovelady
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: balvenie on October 04, 2026, 04:10:06 AM
I hope he is in a better place now.
Title: Re: Dusty version 2.0
Post by: Muzz on October 04, 2026, 07:53:31 AM
This is really sad news.

When the NZer Steven Adams was playing for the Oklahoma City Thunder we had a fair discourse going on, about basketball and the slightly "different" approach that many Kiwis have compared with the "Merican approach to life in general.