Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: jackson on April 12, 2015, 03:34:06 PM

Title: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: jackson on April 12, 2015, 03:34:06 PM
I had my 2010 V7 Classic on my HF motorcycle lift-table this morning to clean underneath the mufflers and noticed something that I had never seen before.  I had seen Moto Guzzi etched in the chrome but LaFranconi is also on both mufflers.  I've attempted to Google an answer but can't find anything about LaFranconi being a factory supplier for the stock mufflers.  To me, both mufflers look like "stock" mufflers.  They don't have red tips or look like anything that's presently being sold for this model by LaFranconi.  I looked up the parts number in a Guzzi parts list and it showed that the replacement mufflers come from Japan.  I bought the bike from the third owner and it had a lot of MG accessories installed when I purchased it. The bike has a "more aggressive" exhaust note than my 750 Breva had and the man that I purchased it from didn't know anything about Guzzi.  He had bought the bike for his wife to ride and she only put 1000 miles on the clock in almost three years of ownership.  All of the accessories were purchased by the first owner and I have no way of contacting him/her.
Does anyone know if LaFranconi supplied these to MG as a standard item?
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: Triple Jim on April 12, 2015, 03:58:40 PM
I know that my 1989 Mille GT has stock mufflers made by Lafranconi.
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: jackson on April 12, 2015, 06:50:57 PM
Doesn't LaF make all of the stock mufflers for MG and Ducati ?
  Dusty
I attempted to search this info and could not find info that LaFranconi made (or presently makes) the stock mufflers for Moto Guzzi.  Mine look like they're stock but they sound much different and far better than my 2007 Breva 750 sounded.  I've used a very bright, mini-flashlight and looked into the end of each muffler and I can't see any evidence that the baffles have been drilled.  I would like to know but information seems to be limited on the web re. this subject.
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: Cam3512 on April 12, 2015, 06:59:29 PM
Yes, they do make the stock pipes. They also have aftermarket exhausts.  Do they have heat shields? Got a photo?
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: jackson on April 12, 2015, 07:06:53 PM
Yes, they do make the stick pipes. They also have aftermarket exhausts.  Do they have heat shields? Got a photo?
Thanks for the reply. 
Yes, they have heat shields that look exactly like the ones that were on my Breva 750.  They also look like the stock mufflers that were on the Breva.   Haven't taken a picture yet.  Based on your answer, they're probably stock but I didn't know that LaFranconi made the stock ones. 
BTW: When I went to the AF1 parts diagrams, I was surprised to see that the replacement part that's listed shows that they are made in Japan.  I then looked up LaFranconi's web site and they don't show that they have a manufacturing plant in Japan so for some reason, the replacement part that's listed in the MG parts isn't being made by LaFranconi.  Strange..........bu t true. 
Thanks again for the reply. 
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: Turin on April 12, 2015, 07:49:06 PM
This Guzzi also came with LaFranconi exhaust. They've been at it for a while.
(http://s.petrolicious.com/2013/history/moto-guzzi/moto-guzzi-3.jpg)
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: Muzz on April 13, 2015, 02:18:44 AM
The Breva has MG and Lafranaconi on the mufflers.
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: fossil on April 15, 2015, 01:36:23 AM
My end-of-2012 V7 Stone has stock mufflers by LaFranconi. It should be a no-brainer for Guzzi as LaFranconi also resides in Mandello del Lario.
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: jackson on April 15, 2015, 06:40:10 AM
Thanks for the replies.  Mystery solved.  What's interesting is that there is virtually NO information about this when searching with Google or Bing and although I used to have a 750 Breva, I never saw LaFranconi etched in those silencers.
Now, I need to figure out why this bike sounds so much throatier than the Breva.  Apparently, the first owner did something to make it sound this way.  I love the sound but would like to know what they did since there's no evidence of drilling out the baffles that I can see.
Title: Re: LaFranconi Silencers (Mufflers)
Post by: leafman60 on April 15, 2015, 07:04:21 AM
The stock mufflers on my '74 Nuovo Falcone are LaFranconi.