Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Scott DeRoss on September 15, 2015, 09:07:47 PM

Title: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: Scott DeRoss on September 15, 2015, 09:07:47 PM
Sunday is the day! I am doing a zip lining tour for a couple hours it will be the first time for me to do anything crazy like this. IT is in a far western suburb of Chicago. Does anyone have any advise for me in what to expect or should I just close my eyes and GO FOR IT!!!  :thumb:
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on September 15, 2015, 09:09:05 PM
  Don't drop off.
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: cruzziguzzi on September 15, 2015, 09:11:21 PM
Sunday is the day! I am doing a zip lining tour for a couple hours it will be the first time for me to do anything crazy like this. IT is in a far western suburb of Chicago. Does anyone have any advise for me in what to expect or should I just close my eyes and GO FOR IT!!!  :thumb:

If it involves water landings - hold your nose, even up north.

Todd.
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: Daleroso on September 15, 2015, 09:13:19 PM
Especially up north........Yankee
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: Triple Jim on September 15, 2015, 10:45:54 PM
Keep your eyes open.
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: Beaver on September 15, 2015, 10:50:08 PM
The one here in New York, TX has a little class and a practice run on a small zip-line.  Once you learn how to do it, then you're ready for the real thing!  They strap you in a harness and give you a hard hat and thick gloves to wear.  You zipline above and through the trees from platform to platform.  Three of Tex's daughters went and Tex and I watched 'em.   After landing on the last platform (on the ground) they had to hike back up the mountain.   Looks fun!  Enjoy it.  I'm gonna do it one of these days.

(http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/AngelAnnievtx/388414_10150919029200296_721092958_n_zpskmpkgzol.jpg) (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/AngelAnnievtx/media/388414_10150919029200296_721092958_n_zpskmpkgzol.jpg.html)

(http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/AngelAnnievtx/314580_10150919033055296_1395312762_n_zpsmjem7vi1.jpg) (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/AngelAnnievtx/media/314580_10150919033055296_1395312762_n_zpsmjem7vi1.jpg.html)

(http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/AngelAnnievtx/379115_10150919035245296_1087840175_n_zpsfmteym0w.jpg) (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/AngelAnnievtx/media/379115_10150919035245296_1087840175_n_zpsfmteym0w.jpg.html)

(http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/AngelAnnievtx/300897_10150919049970296_299090259_n_zpsco6va0dk.jpg) (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/AngelAnnievtx/media/300897_10150919049970296_299090259_n_zpsco6va0dk.jpg.html)

(http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/AngelAnnievtx/313128_10150919037390296_2138541988_n_zpszohvtnjw.jpg) (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/AngelAnnievtx/media/313128_10150919037390296_2138541988_n_zpszohvtnjw.jpg.html)

(http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/AngelAnnievtx/381851_10150919040415296_1211783637_n_zpsb8oai7zj.jpg) (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/AngelAnnievtx/media/381851_10150919040415296_1211783637_n_zpsb8oai7zj.jpg.html)

(http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t184/AngelAnnievtx/387821_10150919044370296_1505885998_n_zpsck97679s.jpg) (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/AngelAnnievtx/media/387821_10150919044370296_1505885998_n_zpsck97679s.jpg.html)


Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: oldbike54 on September 15, 2015, 11:00:02 PM
 Never did it by my own volition , always ordered to by a senior NCO . It is fun , don't look down , or up for that matter . Really pretty safe , unless you hit a squirrel  :shocked: :grin: Oh , don't try to run in the air , doesn't help  :laugh:

  Dusty
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: rboe on September 15, 2015, 11:02:33 PM
Follow the instructions (so you don't spin), otherwise, it's a hoot!
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on September 15, 2015, 11:21:34 PM
  I once ziplined from one island to another and back a couple of hours later down in the antarctic.
  Since it was over seawater filled with slush and ice chunks, a fall meant certain death within minutes
  due to extreme hypothermia.  While on the smaller island I got to do close up video tape of giant elephant sea lions and
  get down on my belly and scoot among penguins.  Then I was attacked by skuas.  An adventure few people have done.
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: toaster404 on September 17, 2015, 09:43:42 AM
Good gloves that will stay on.  Ropers with the pull tie are excellent.  Real boots.  Heavy trousers.  Tough shirt.  Plan for the light fall or bang.  If you have any delicate parts, like a trick knee, a soft brace might be useful. 

The place here was shut down a little bit because a guide fell off the platform.  Probably the biggest real risk is falling off when not clipped in, so watch that.  And tie on any glasses!!
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: charlie b on September 17, 2015, 09:56:05 AM
I like the water drops best :)  For me it was like jumping out of airplanes.  After the first couple of times it lost the appeal.
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: shaka on September 17, 2015, 09:59:14 PM
1 See if the riggers are hung over or wish they were anywhere but working at the zip line.
2 Don't put the brake on and get stranded out in mid-air so they have to come get you
   moving.   
3 Scream a lot.
4 Don't pee in your pants.
Title: Re: Zip lining first time! (NGC)
Post by: tpeever on September 17, 2015, 10:38:24 PM
Sunday is the day! I am doing a zip lining tour for a couple hours it will be the first time for me to do anything crazy like this. IT is in a far western suburb of Chicago. Does anyone have any advise for me in what to expect or should I just close my eyes and GO FOR IT!!!  :thumb:

The hardest part for me was trusting the equipment and stepping off a platform 50-100 feet up in the trees. As other have mentioned:

1) Start on a line not far off the ground to get used to it. I think the good places seem to do this. You can always bag out after this run if you find it too much.
2) Trust your harness
3) keep your eyes open and have fun!

I found it to be a lot of fun once I got used to stepping off a platform up in the trees!!