Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: rocker59 on January 07, 2016, 11:39:05 AM

Title: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: rocker59 on January 07, 2016, 11:39:05 AM
Per Vagrants request...

you have the money.  why didn't you buy a new Moto Guzzi in 2015 ?
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Jim Rich on January 07, 2016, 12:23:14 PM
If I had the money I would have bought a Griso and a Stelvio.  I kind of like the new Calis but don't want to have to wear chaps.   :grin:
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Groover on January 07, 2016, 12:31:59 PM
I'd like a new rendition of the T3/G5/Convert. Basically something with a 70's style banana/couch seat that is level-ish. I ride two up and I prefer that configuration which doesn't seem to exist out there anymore in any brand. Most everything new-ish is too stepped for my preference.

I'll take a beefy V1400G6, Carbed - Thank you.

Edit: Just read the conditions of the poll, that being if you had the money.... I guess I shouldn't have polled then  :laugh:

I'll go to the other poll where you get the free bike... http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=81029.0
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Cam3512 on January 07, 2016, 12:49:19 PM
Because I bought a new one in 2014.  '71 Ambo  in 2015
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: drlapo on January 07, 2016, 01:28:42 PM
I bought a new V7 in2014
I would definitely consider a new V12 if they make one
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on January 07, 2016, 01:34:52 PM
Apparently, I'm part of the problem. :smiley: Maybe I have my "wind up" bikes? Dunno, but the Aero Lario will out run the current small blocks and the Mighty Scura is beyond my capabilities as a rider as it is.
Don't need anything they currently build.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: aschem on January 07, 2016, 01:39:06 PM
Because I bought a CB1100 instead of a V7
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: cruzziguzzi on January 07, 2016, 01:48:05 PM
Couple-three reasons.

I'm not overly moved by any of them and outright put off by at least one.

Having bought new Guzzis in the past - I'm past whining about the post purchase development and quality control stink that wafts around Guzzis, it's just that the problems that now come up are not even remotely fun for me to sort, so, pre-retort....

Give me self destructing speedo routing, aspiration desperation, internal lubricant redefining itself as tire dressing or generally the good-old-days of problems; gravitational, rotational, vacuum or gear doom.

These new fangled vexations of electro-generations leave me cold and disconnected from the thumping, roarting soul of what I wish a motorcycle to be - to me.

If it ain't gonna Yama-humm on down the road - I want my contentions to be of the mechanical bone and not the electri-magical one.

Just passed a fella today with his wife's new car (matters not which) angled in the near middle of an intersection. Tried to help him but:

The key wouldn't turn to unlock the steering
The key would not come out of the slot
The transmission did not have the expected mechanical un-lock option for towing so we could not get it out of park - wheels were locked anyhoo
Couldn't engage the flashers
Battery was fully charged

I won't own a willful vehicle that'll leave me T-U in the P-U without first talking to my smartphone - which I have not - or a computer in general.


Todd.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on January 07, 2016, 01:52:23 PM
Well done, Todd.  :thumb: <snapping suspenders>
Quote
These new fangled vexations of electro-generations leave me cold and disconnected from the thumping, roarting soul of what I wish a motorcycle to be - to me.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: rocker59 on January 07, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
The poll doesn't allow for multiple responses and it takes 2+ to capture why I didn't buy a Guzzi this past October.  I did buy a Goldwing (Valkyrie).

I have ridden Guzzis since 1979 - started on an SP.  In October I decided it was time to replace my EV.  I wanted these things:

  • Excellent two-up touring platform,
  • Proven powerplant and drivetrain,
  • Seat height of about 28 inches,
  • Modern and easily-accessed system monitoring so I can "do my own thing" with gauges,
  • Trusted local dealer (within 125 miles or so) who would allow me access to all available reference materials as needed as I work on electronics.

I could check the first two items, above, when I considered the California 1400 Touring; I could "adapt" a 1400 Eldorado to satisfy them, too.  #3 was an "almost" with these Guzzis.  I didn't want to spend the time to "crack the Guzzi code" to achieve #4.  And #5?  We've beaten that subject to death.

So I bought the big black Valkyrie at a shop less than 5 miles from my house.  It is only 60 or so pounds heavier than the Touring, but feels as light or lighter with its very low center of gravity.  I can flatfoot it even when I have the rear shock set up and I am on the bike by myself.

I've had to put in a bunch of work designing/fabricating/locating accessories for the Honda; there's little available (sounds like a Guzzi, eh?).  The dealer has been very helpful as I've done these things.  We are close to being ready for our maiden Spring Tour.

So, those are my answers to the poll.  Doesn't help too much if you're looking for a "singular" response.  But as you've noticed, my dealer has made it much easier to make the bike fit my needs.  The bottom line is, given my checklist, Moto Guzzi and its American importer weren't the companies I needed at this point in my life.

Bill

Why didn't you just check  the dealer box on the poll ?  Based on this ramble, that's what it really came down to...
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: pebra on January 07, 2016, 02:45:01 PM
I have two nice Guzzis that I like and am not really looking for something new.
An ideal bike would be a Guzzi With ABS, about 80 rear wheel hp, simplistic styling (whatever that means) and be relatively light.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: rocker59 on January 07, 2016, 02:52:29 PM
So far, 50% or respondents feel like  "nothing in the current lineup that calls to me".

Since we're pretty much all current (an in many cases, multiple) Guzzi owners around here, this is very telling.

 
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Groover on January 07, 2016, 03:21:59 PM
And it looks like the middle finger....  :evil:
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Rox on January 07, 2016, 03:25:45 PM
I have two nice Guzzis that I like and am not really looking for something new.
An ideal bike would be a Guzzi With ABS, about 80 rear wheel hp, simplistic styling (whatever that means) and be relatively light.

I'm in your boat with exception of the ABS..

Guzzi kinda went short on performance with the v7 and then turned around and discontinued the Griso... Hope something better is in the works...
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: rocker59 on January 07, 2016, 03:27:45 PM
And it looks like the middle finger....  :evil:

LOL!  (I didn't plan it that way)
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: JeffOlson on January 07, 2016, 04:15:59 PM
I bought two Moto Guzzis in 2015! My first was a new, white 2014 Norge. My second was another new, white 2014 Norge! (No, I do not have a fleet, just the second one as the first was killed my a reckless school teacher cager.)

I hope to buy a smaller Moto Guzzi in 2016 (either a V7 II or a V9) to use as an around-town scoot.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Dilliw on January 07, 2016, 04:34:22 PM
I've wanted a Griso since 2007 and every year I come close to buying one.  The issue is a Griso would be a luxury item for me since it's not good for 2 up, and that's hard to justify with two other bikes in the garage.

I've also thought about replacing my EV with a Norge, a Stelvio, and even the 1400 Touring.  All of those bikes are probably upgrades to my hydro in some/many ways but not enough for me to swap.   A $10k Norge in white would probably do it though, and if those prices make their way East I'd probably jump.

So maybe the answer is it's hard to replace a Guzzi!

Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Luap McKeever on January 07, 2016, 04:40:35 PM
I really dig the MGX21.  A lot.  No, I mean A LOT.  That will be my next bike.  But, I have to pay off my NTX first.  I'm not doing the trade in thing again.  I think having the NTX and the MGX in the stable would only be a good thing.  I should have the NTX paid off in 15 months.  So, hopefully middle to 2017 I'll be riding an MGX as well.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Seagondollar on January 07, 2016, 04:57:54 PM
Poor dealer network   - Only one in all of NC

And nothing in the current lineup interests me. - I'd want a new 8V Le Mans.  How hard would it be to do that?  And maybe lose a few pounds?
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: lucian on January 07, 2016, 05:12:23 PM
Saving for a rsv4 factory, still piaggio.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: boatdetective on January 07, 2016, 05:13:17 PM
I test rode a V7II and was prepared to buy a leftover bike. Right after I tried the V7, I hopped on an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. WOW- what a difference. I ended up buying a 2014 Shiver for less than the price of a leftover V7.  The engine did it for me. Zounds, what a fun powerplant. "Character" only gets you so far.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: John Ulrich on January 07, 2016, 05:37:53 PM
Adding another cycle would only overlap what I already have.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: canuck750 on January 07, 2016, 05:58:31 PM
Because I needed to replace my worn out KLR 650, and Guzzi does not have a model I am interested in buying to replace my old R1150RT, now if they made something with the performance and specification of the K1600GT I would jump in with both feet.

Not that I don't appreciate the Guzzi big block (at least the 40 year old ones I enjoy now) but if I ever decide to go for another big sport touring machine it will need to have the power and handling close to the big Beemer 6.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: krglorioso on January 07, 2016, 06:28:00 PM
I have  put a lot of thought, time and expense into my 2003 Stone Touring.  It has double front discs, custom-to-my-weight IKON 7610 rear shocks, 4" rearset and 1" lowered foot controls I built, 1998 Centauro (all brass) cylinder head temperature sending unit base, Harper's "Outsider" (love this!), Ned's seat (much better since I modified it the way I asked for it in the first place, and added an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad), EMGO flat track bars and 1.3" risers, tubeless wheel conversion I did, Hudson Valley Motorcycle Parts 17oz billet stainless bar ends, Crampbuster throttle paddle, beemerboneyard.com all-metal, really easy quick connect on the fuel line from the tank, Harper's passenger backrest/parcel rack, and the bike at 16K miles has no dings, scratches or corrosion.

What in the world would I want a new bike for??  Especially, since I would likely get chump change for this lovely bike if I sold it.

No, I am not bored with the 03 Hydro, have no impulses pushing me toward a new bike--Guzzi or otherwise-- Like my wife of almost 44 years, when you get one that fulfills your needs, KEEP HER!  Ditto the hydro Stone.  Ain't goin' nowhere.

Ralph
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: fotoguzzi on January 07, 2016, 06:40:00 PM
I have two nice Guzzis that I like and am not really looking for something new.
An ideal bike would be a Guzzi With ABS, about 80 rear wheel hp, simplistic styling (whatever that means) and be relatively light.
I don't have any but what he said..

Saving for a rsv4 factory, still piaggio.
nice goal.. could get on my list..
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Triple Jim on January 07, 2016, 07:17:55 PM
I find that my family's standard of living is higher if I don't buy new vehicles.  I doubt if I'll ever buy a new car or motorcycle or boat when I know how much more I can get for my money with a pre-depreciated vehicle.  This means that even though I have the money, nothing in any manufacturer's lineup speaks to me enough to get me to buy a new one.  And to try to avoid being called cheap, I don't mind buying top quality new things in general, just not vehicles.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Rox on January 07, 2016, 11:49:46 PM
Now that they are focusing retro and cruiser instead of sporty it might make me go backwards with Guzzi . If no Lemans in the future a CX100 will be the next.  And a new Craftsman toolbox..
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Shorty on January 08, 2016, 01:01:03 AM
I'm too fickle with motorcycles. I'll be hot for one and love it for awhile, then, meh, I'll get tired of it. Too stingy to take a financial hit on a new bike I will surely not own for more than a couple years. There was no button for that reason... :laugh:
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: ohiorider on January 08, 2016, 01:29:23 AM
.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: charlie b on January 08, 2016, 06:57:49 AM
I'd have a Norge right now if they had cruise control and did not have the issues.  Second part is listed mainly because of the lack of dealers and poor company support for such things.
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: Caffeineo on January 08, 2016, 12:16:42 PM
Because I am kind of a cheap bastard and am waiting to save some $$$ on one that is a year old and slightly used.  :evil:
Title: Re: Poll - "if you had the money", per Vagrant's request...
Post by: bpreynolds on January 08, 2016, 03:51:59 PM
I did buy new in 2015.  And I'd do it again.