Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: travelingbyguzzi on January 20, 2016, 09:17:29 AM

Title: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: travelingbyguzzi on January 20, 2016, 09:17:29 AM
Perfect timimg......http://koin.com/2016/01/19/some-oregon-speed-limits-will-rise-march-1/

The ONLY thing that has kept Oregon from being the perfect motorcycle destination has been the state-wide 55 mph limit on it's highways.
In March the limit goes up to 65 on many of the country highways in the Eastern half of the state.
The best news of 2016 so far!
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: canuguzzi on January 20, 2016, 10:10:48 AM
Kinda like the relaxed riding speeds in Oregon. Something about loafing along at the slower speed let's you see and experience those beautiful scenes. A lot of those highways are two lane roads and many of them lend themselves to slower driving/riding.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: jlburgess on January 20, 2016, 10:23:12 AM
Traveling tip:  Don't speed on Hwy 97 between K Falls and Bend!  Don't ask me how I know.   :copcar:
Better yet, don't take 97 at all.  It's straight and boring and loaded with semi's.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: ChuckH on January 20, 2016, 10:46:05 AM
That is good news.  To limit speed at 55 on the open area two-lanes is, IMO, too slow.  The 65 limit is like the eastern side of Colorado and is more reasonable.  Although, I was stopped in eastern CO on my last trip, clocked at 74 in a 65.  He gave me a warning ticket and asked me to keep it down a bit.  I think it was my honest face.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: wavedog on January 20, 2016, 11:12:52 AM
I enjoy riding in Oregon. In '03 I was on my K75, riding about 15 to 20 over the limit, and as I came over a rise and a sweet bend there was of course a stater coming the other way. I rolled off the throttle and he put his arm out the window and motioned me to keep it down, waved and we both went on our way. It was a nice ride.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: Arizona Wayne on January 20, 2016, 11:24:27 AM
So starting in March in Oregon when you're doing 65 no matter what the sign says you'll be legal.  Just like  on I-5 when you do 65 in a 55 like all the other traffic.   Hardly see any Oregon State troopers on I-5 any more.  :thumb:

I've been on Hwy 97 many a time w/o getting a ticket by not going a constant speed over the limit.  You gotta pick your times for speeding there.  :azn:  Use other drivers as rabbits.  But 1st you gotta survive the bugs just north of Kfalls.  :evil:
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: JeffOlson on January 20, 2016, 11:26:04 AM
Oregon has two very different characters: the Portland metro area, and everywhere else. Around the Portland metro area, drivers like to drive slowly and often in the fast lane (where they can personally enforce the speed limit on the scofflaws like me who want to get somewhere quickly). The speed limit will NOT rise around the Portland metro area, nor will it rise along the I-5 corridor. That means a continuation of 55-65 mph.

I have to ride to Washington so I can open it up a bit...
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: Arizona Wayne on January 20, 2016, 12:00:58 PM
Oregon has two very different characters: the Portland metro area, and everywhere else. Around the Portland metro area, drivers like to drive slowly and often in the fast lane (where they can personally enforce the speed limit on the scofflaws like me who want to get somewhere quickly). The speed limit will NOT rise around the Portland metro area, nor will it rise along the I-5 corridor. That means a continuation of 55-65 mph.

I have to ride to Washington so I can open it up a bit...



They detest lane splitters like me too.  :thewife:   I used to live in Gladstone, Aloha, Vancouver.  :wink:
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: rdbandkab on January 20, 2016, 12:20:28 PM
Watch some of the 55 mph signs in WV...   They're not too slow....they're too fast!   Ever see a road where there's no way you want to go as fast as the limit says.    *I guess I mean there's no way I'd get close to that limit..   
It's like the DOH had to get rid of some signs!
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: JeffOlson on January 20, 2016, 12:24:15 PM


They detest lane splitters like me too.  :thewife:   I used to live in Gladstone, Aloha, Vancouver.  :wink:

The only time I have observed Oregon cagers giving a wide berth to motorcyclists splitting lanes was last summer near Wilsonville. Traffic on I-5 was at a standstill, and I dutifully put my foot down in the fast lane. Along the left side of the freeway, on the shoulder, came three pirates on very loud Harley Davidsons. They rode with impunity down the shoulder of the "freeway" for miles into the distance. No Dodge Ram or Toyota Prius driver (or any other cager) dared to swerve onto the shoulder to block them!
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: canuguzzi on January 20, 2016, 12:38:03 PM
North of KFalls, either leave early or after a later breakfast, no bugs. By about 10 am the birds have eaten their morning meal and cleared the way. Before sun up, the bugs aren't out yet.

I look at speed limits a different way, not howbfast I can safely ride but how fast can the typical car driver drive.

Its not me running into someone else I worry about, its the car coming at me who can't stay in their lane on corners.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: PICKLEKOOKEN on January 20, 2016, 02:34:04 PM
 :evil:
Back in May 2009 I had just did a fly & ride. Saw Dave and crew oh and picked up my Norgy. left Moto about 3pm got in to Oregon just out side of Baker City I was pulled over for 85 in a 65 on the interstate " ON THE INTERSTATE" I was floored he let me off but still that's worst than 70 in Oklahoma.  :copcar:
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: Cross-tie Walker on January 20, 2016, 02:47:22 PM
Cool!  I just hope 395 north outta John Day is on that list. Great road all the way to Pendleton! (or down from Pendleton)
Be nice to cruise at 65-67 without worrying about that silly 55 limit that really takes away the "enjoyment concentration"!
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: kirkemon on January 20, 2016, 02:57:13 PM
I have to ride to Washington so I can open it up a bit...
Really? I always get pulled over by plain wrappers in Washington, maybe they don't like my Calif. plate :angry:
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: canuguzzi on January 20, 2016, 03:02:31 PM
When you're riding 20 mph over the posted limit, not expecting to be pulled over is a bit much.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: PJPR01 on January 20, 2016, 03:58:35 PM
A nicely installed radar detector (Solo S3 Battery powered) or other hard wired should help with that situation and allow you to run free, except in 2 states.

Or one of the LegalSpeeding LED indicators mounted on your helmet...give you advance visual notification as well of the upcoming speed zone...

Well worth their cost, will pay for themselves in just 1 day of riding!  :)

Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on January 20, 2016, 04:53:55 PM
  The bugs along Klamath Lake are so thick you see them a quarter mile before you get to them.  They are the large low black cloud.  I lived in K falls for a year in the seventies.  I rode all seasons.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: Arizona Wayne on January 20, 2016, 05:18:19 PM
  The bugs along Klamath Lake are so thick you see them a quarter mile before you get to them.  They are the large low black cloud.  I lived in K falls for a year in the seventies.  I rode all seasons.




I never see them(bugs) before my helmet is covered with them and then I can't see.  But I learned getting behind a box truck is helpful.  :cheesy:
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: Arizona Wayne on January 20, 2016, 05:42:57 PM
Watch some of the 55 mph signs in WV...   They're not too slow....they're too fast!   Ever see a road where there's no way you want to go as fast as the limit says.    *I guess I mean there's no way I'd get close to that limit..   
It's like the DOH had to get rid of some signs!


There are some roads where the Texas turnip lives that scare the bejeezus out of me..............65 speed limit on a 2 lane road lined with trees and driveways where you can't see the car coming out until it's front end is on the edge of the road!  :shocked:   Heck, I was nervous going 55 down that road.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: travelingbyguzzi on January 20, 2016, 05:54:06 PM
There are lots of reasons NOT to go the limit: rain, deer-thirty, church time on a Sunday evening. But it is nice to have the option. User discretion is advised, but I know my summers just got a bit more worry free.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: vstevens on January 20, 2016, 06:03:05 PM
Ya, think???  The whole world thinks we're evil.  Pretty much a "Get off my lawn!" attitude.

Ha!  Only ticket I've gotten in 30 years was a road trip to Portland from San Diego.  On the way back to San Diego, I'm on the Interstate 5 moving south with dozens of local cars passing me in the left lane (I'm in the right lane and crawling along).  Apparently, my California plate is magnetic and attracted an Oregon state trooper... wrote me a 250 dollar ticket for 64 in a 55.  Nice guy... gave me an envelope so I could mail it in, too.   :huh:

Haven't been back to Oregon since.  Too bad, its beautiful with lots of great motorcycling roadways.
Title: Re: Just in time for the National-Oregon speed limit
Post by: keener on January 20, 2016, 09:36:01 PM
So i just got wind of this  , would i be correct that some of the best roads to ride in Oregon are being increased to 65mph .
and would these same roads be connecting Shaniko #218 to Fossil or say Heppner#206 to Condon ,or highways #395, #207, #402 , #395  etc ... i have ridden central Oregon  many times and love these twisty well paved high desert roads ..
I believe the current limit is 55mph but that is just way to slow for almost anyone on a motorcycle , 65 would give some leeway and a stretch to 80 mph would be somewhat more comforting , although i have not experienced to much LEO on these roads anyway... :cool:
this would be a dream come true ................... ....