Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: rudyr on January 24, 2016, 07:10:39 PM
-
How much trouble to change the front lower tube seals?rudyr
-
knowing what bike would help.
-
Think Rudy is on Jackal.
Dave
Galveston
-
not to much if you have a jack.
-
Do you mean the front fork seals?
Rick.
-
Fork seals? A tiny Phillips head is great to snag the lower seal retaining ring up out of it's groove. A $16 harbor fraught slide hammer seal puller comes in handy too.
-
2000 jackal, don't need sealed but pulling tree to put a racked tree on so. I think I wiould change seals now that have the tubes off.rudyr
-
once you have the forks out of the triple clamp, first you need to drain the oil. There are small Allen screws at the bottom rear of each leg. after draining, you need to remove the 8mm allen bolts that attach the lower leg to the internal damper. These bolts can be very tight and can strip out if you're not careful. I use an impact driver with the tubes clamped in the soft jaws on my vice. Once those bolts are out, you can remove the slides, replace the seals and reinstall. Get a couple new 8mm crush washers for those bolts. Now, the only problem is getting the oil in. I would reinstall the forks, tighten the triple clamps to keep the tube from turning. Remove the 8mm allen at the top. Now you can slide the tubes down an inch or 2, you can either remove the 32mm upper nut or use a really small funnel and pour in the fluid. Either way, allow the fluid to find it's way down the tube and then slowly push the sliders back up and install the bolt.
-
How much oil, & weight? Put into each tube.rudyr
-
Non adjustable front ends get 565cc in ea tube, use 15w if solo, sidecar set up w/o heavier springs I would use 20w.
-
Thank you'al for info.rudyr
-
Now to put it in the mail to Ill.(SteerRite not raking trees anymore) they told me about these Guy's. Look like around $1000. And I've got send them a copy. Rudyr
-
so your doing this for a sidecar? who are the people doing the new yokes?