Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: MacGlennon on January 28, 2016, 09:24:47 AM

Title: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: MacGlennon on January 28, 2016, 09:24:47 AM
My speedometer is overly optimistic by 10 mph all the time.
This is, because when the bike is off (key in or out) or not moving at all, the speedo needle rests at 10. When I'm riding the needle is doing it's thing but giving me a speed that's 10 mph too high. It's mildly annoying more than troubling but I was wondering if I can resolve this myself or possibly my dealer could reset it somehow.
The dash seems fine- bike goes through it's normal light check and needle sweep- the needle just rests at 10.
It's a 2008 1200 Sport. I can't tell you if it's always done as I just got it. I'm embarrassed to say that yesterday was the first time that I even noticed this little quirk (also my first ride on it).
TIA- Jim
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: LowRyter on January 28, 2016, 09:40:05 AM
I've never ridden a motorcycle that didn't have an optimistic speedometer. 
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Gliderjohn on January 28, 2016, 09:45:07 AM
Five to 10 mph shown over actual is very common and I am guessing very intentional for liability reason. They are generally optimistic on both cars and bikes.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: LowRyter on January 28, 2016, 12:21:01 PM
Some the legacy for bikes to have inaccurate speedos was because it was easy to change gearing with new sprockets and larger tires.  But it also mean that they are dang near useless.

Besides, a rider can't be staring at the speedometer and ride.   :shocked:
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Arizona Wayne on January 28, 2016, 12:23:34 PM
Five to 10 mph shown over actual is very common and I am guessing very intentional for liability reason. They are generally optimistic on both cars and bikes.
GliderJohn



I find my car speedos spot on, but my MC speedos usually optimistic, until I change a tire size if it bother's me.  :azn:
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: canuguzzi on January 28, 2016, 12:37:17 PM
I wonder about that liability thing. There isn't a liability for an accurate speedometer, the speedos in my other vehicles are spot on.

It would seem that once the owner realizes their speedo is inaccurate, they start driving at higher indicated speeds because they know they are otherwise driving or riding slower. Now that would seem to be the greater liability.

You might read some stuff about how a rider could sue the manufacturer if the speedo was accurate and blah blah blah, some of the most ignorant stuff ever said about the topic. If you get a ticket for riding 1 mph over the posted limit, there was probably another reason you got that ticket, arguing about things with the cop is likely one of them.

Inaccurate motorcycle speedos has been an issue for a very long time. Sometimes it can be adjusted within the ECU if you have a good record of the discrepancies. There are also speedo healers sold that claim to adjust the speedo to accuracy.

Not looking at your speedo in areas where tickets are handed out for the most minor of infractions is one way to start a collection.
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Arizona Wayne on January 28, 2016, 12:41:13 PM
If your MC speedo reads fast and you use it to not get speeding tickets, then you should get no tickets because you will be going slower than you think.  :thumb:
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: oldbike54 on January 28, 2016, 12:48:00 PM
 Noswal is saying the speedometer reads 10 MPH at rest , how is that corrected fellas ?

 Dusty
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: twhitaker on January 28, 2016, 12:59:13 PM
My tach reads 500 rpm with the engine off! I think it is a conspiracy!
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: JoeW on January 28, 2016, 01:02:46 PM
My speedometer is overly optimistic by 10 mph all the time.
This is, because when the bike is off (key in or out) or not moving at all, the speedo needle rests at 10. When I'm riding the needle is doing it's thing but giving me a speed that's 10 mph too high. It's mildly annoying more than troubling but I was wondering if I can resolve this myself or possibly my dealer could reset it somehow.
The dash seems fine- bike goes through it's normal light check and needle sweep- the needle just rests at 10.
It's a 2008 1200 Sport. I can't tell you if it's always done as I just got it. I'm embarrassed to say that yesterday was the first time that I even noticed this little quirk (also my first ride on it).
TIA- Jim
Not to be a smart A$$, this must be your first Guzzi!
I was filling out my entry form at the Illinois rally several decades ago, there is a spot for "miles driven to the rally" I asked "do you want Veglia miles or actual miles?"
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: canuguzzi on January 28, 2016, 01:04:41 PM
Noswal is saying the speedometer reads 10 MPH at rest , how is that corrected fellas ?

 Dusty

I believe in the ECU map. Not 100% sure, relaying what knowledgeable people have stated.

For the 1200 Sport there is a thread on it. Search is your friend.

If its mechanical, maybe the needle was put in incorrectly, removing it and putting it back on at zero would work.
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on January 28, 2016, 01:09:56 PM
My tach reads 500 rpm with the engine off! I think it is a conspiracy!

That just gives you a 500 rpm head start on the next guy.. <shrug>
My MZ clocks are wildly inaccurate. At least they work, most of them don't. They have usable numbers, anyway. Indicated 70 is GPS 55. Indicated 5800 rpm is actually 7200, so I run about 80 and shift at 5500 indicated. They're just numbers..
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: cloudbase on January 28, 2016, 01:16:58 PM
Veglia=vague lie.
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: MacGlennon on January 28, 2016, 03:45:20 PM
Good discussion and I have to say, no- this is not my first Guzzi.
Just the first one to go 10 mph standing still...
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: guzzisteve on January 28, 2016, 07:19:48 PM
You sure the needle isn't resting on a pin at 10mph?    You have a fast digit?
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Perazzimx14 on January 29, 2016, 05:04:02 AM
Noswal is saying the speedometer reads 10 MPH at rest , how is that corrected fellas ?

 Dusty

Buy a $120 Trail Tech Vapor or Striker multi function computer. It runs off a magnetic pickup off the front wheel and any 12v pickup. To calibrate the speedo measure the wheel height and multiply by 3.14. Enter the 4 digit answer into the computer and your done. I installed a Striker my DR650 and the speedo is accurate with a GPS within 1/4 mph.

The computer is small enough to parallel existing gauges or remove existing gauges and just run a Trail Tech. :thumb:
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Mark West on January 29, 2016, 12:27:31 PM
Given that your speedo reads 10 when stopped and reads 10 high at any speed, it sounds like maybe the needle was just installed improperly. If you can get the face off, you could probably just pull the needle off (carefully) and put it back on at zero. If you don't want to attempt that, I would guess a speedo shop could do it for you.

My California was 10% high so got increasingly optimistic the faster you went. Oddly, my 87 Lemans was dead accurate when checked by gps even at > 100mph.
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Bisbonian on January 29, 2016, 04:10:29 PM
I had a speedometer that read fast at one point on my 1200 Sport. But it was an artifact from an ECU reflash and did not exhibit the symptoms you are describing so I doubt the problem is from a reflash prior to you receiving the bike.

I believe I've read some threads with similar symptoms, either here or over on Guzzitech but can't remember for sure.

If the speedo reads correctly other than 10mph fast I may jump on the bandwagon to adjust the speedo needle, but that's easy to say when it's not my dash that has to be torn apart.

I think I have some instructions on dash disassembly I can send you via email if you would like, send me a PM with your email address and I'll be all over it. I think I got them from Ohiorider Bob so if they're useful then we can all thank Bob. If you end up breaking your dash then we can all blame Bob ;-)
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Rox on February 02, 2016, 12:16:06 AM
I've ridden a number of bikes and only have encountered 2 motorcycles EVER to have an accurate speedometer. A Honda Goldwing and a Honda CTX1300. Anything else has always been off by 5-10mph pending how fast. My V11s are off by about 5 mph up to around 70 and after 70 they're about 10mph optimistic. Whoever said Veglia guages lie is pretty damn accurate...
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: JoeB on February 02, 2016, 05:42:12 AM
A few of us over the years have used one of the inexpensive bicycle speedometers out there like Sigma's. Have had a Cats Eye on mine for a decade or so. Only use it for speed, never messed with whatever else it'd do.
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: tiger_one on February 02, 2016, 05:55:38 AM
This is one of my pet peaves with motorcyces.  They can make them much closer, but choose to be around 8% off or more.  I have used SpeedDRD and others in th past. 

On my KTM 1190, I purchased ABS rings with 44 holes (48 holes is stock) from fellow in Australia that figured this out.  The Super Duke R was the worst, I understand and that is what he had.  Same dash as the 1190, but 17" front wheel, where the 1190adv has 19" front.

Have to change them both to keep the ABS and TC happy. 
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: molly on February 02, 2016, 06:09:12 AM
You can using Guzzidiag change the speedo reading to compensate for any errors. I would say if it is starting at 10 then there is a mechanical fault and stripping the cluster down might cause more problems then it solves. I use a gps app on my phone to check the speed because it might not be same error across the entire range.
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: Murray on February 02, 2016, 06:13:38 AM
Noswal is saying the speedometer reads 10 MPH at rest , how is that corrected fellas ?

 Dusty

Assuming an analogue instrument open the instrument ping the needle off (typically press fit) and reset it in the correct position, I'd get a proper auto instrument fitter to do it rather than your dealer though.
Title: Re: Speedometer Is Not Accurate
Post by: pauldaytona on February 02, 2016, 05:27:28 PM
you can open the dash is you are a good DIY. you can take the needle off and put it on at zero. But if it is worth the hassle?  Other thead with disassembly pictures